Limit on number of people in 1BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captzag

Earning My Ears
We have three youngish kids -- 9,7 & 5 -- and have a question about accommodations. Notwithstanding the privacy/crowding issues, can we book a 1BR and rent a roll away bed for our "extra" child or are we required to spend the extra points and book a 2BR? Thanks for any info you can provide.

As others will tell you very soon, you will be required to have a 2 bedroom as the occupancy limit on a one bedroom is 4.
OK, let the dogpile begin!

Dave

horizonssignsm.gif
puck.jpg

hi and welcome to the board. you've asked a "loaded" question. there have been many heated debates on this board regarding this topic. technically, a 1br villa has an occupancy limit of 4-that's all the bedding provided. will member services allow you to have 5 in a 1br? probably. there aren't any additional beds for rent. some people have brought airmattresses or sleeping bags to accommodate the extra person. also, the king size bed in the mbr has plenty of space. you can legally fit 5 in a studio plus at bwv. there is a queen bed, pull-out sofa, and a daybed provided in those units. the square footage is almost half of the 1br unit though. also, you wouldn't have the washer/dryer, full-size fridge or stove in a studio. the occupancy limit on a 2br unit is 8. please take any heated posts this generates with a grain of salt; they aren't directed at you personally-it's the whole occupancy limit issue.

Our family of five has stayed in a number of one bedroom units as well as studios (just returned from a studio stay at VB and VWL). We always just have one kid sleep on the floor each evening. We feel it's a small price to pay for saving points to allow for additional future stays. DVC will not allow for a rollaway....at least they did not at both VB and VWL. OKW does not either.

OKW might actually have an L-shaped sofa (???). If so, you could allow the 5 year old to sleep on the side not pulled out to form the bed.

Matt in Eden Prairie

We just visited VB this past week with a 5 person family. Our children are 16, 12, and 9. We rented a studio (as we often do)to save on points. Having driven from Orlando, I was tired and not quite thinking straight. When asked for how many keys I would need, I said "5." The CM did not even blink (though my wife sure did)as he printed out the five keys. I am quite confident that many, many people do the same.

I just think its awful the many, many people feel the contracts they signed and the rules they agreed to adhere to mean absolutely nothing to them.

I just always wonder what the explanation is to a 12 year old....do you actually say, "Rules are made to be broken?" or maybe "Rules are for other people?" or is it as simple as "We can save some money and points, so lets try to get away with whatever we can?"

I really wonder about that.

Personally, I try to tell my daughter that when she signs a contract, the right thing to do is abide by the rules of that contract.....but thats just me.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx,This has failed every time it has been tried, why do we still have liberals?

Before we get too carried away. just a reminder to be civil. :) This person asked a question. I know we all have our strong feelings on this issue. Your opinion is welcome, but please re-read you responses before you press the enter key.

Thanks

To answer the question you ask - Sorry, roll away beds are not available and they will not provide you extra bedding. Are you required to stay in a 2BR? I will just say the occupancy limits for a 1BR per the DVC contract is 4 (plus an infant under 3).

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

<font size=1 color=black font face="Comic Sans MS">

[This message was edited by TnRobin on 04-15-01 at 05:04 PM.]

Our guide specifically told us occupancy was 4, but they would allow 1 over. So there doesn't seem to be a really a hard and fast "rule" on 4 in the room.

Actually, there is a hard and fast rule. Unfortunately, in their exuberance to sell points, some DVC sales people have taken to lying to potential members. Room occupany is not the only lie they tell.

Different people have been told different things at different times. I was told by a sales manager at OKW that they have asked people to get the proper sized unit for their party or leave. I posted the woman's name, title and phone number here after I spoke with her. I believe that once they realized how widespread DVC sales staff lies were, they were forced to start looking the other way. We have had several indications recently that they are going to start enforcing the rules again.

Remember, a timeshare salesperson is basically a rung below a used car salesman. If a timeshare salesperson is telling you something that conflicts with the contracts you are signing, its your fault for believing the timeshare salesperson.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx,This has failed every time it has been tried, why do we still have liberals?

If you plan to put 5 people in a 1 bedroom villa, please remember that the 1 bedroom villas at Old Key West are so much larger than BWV. The 1 bedroom villas at Boardwalk Villas are so much smaller than the 1 bedroom villas at Old Key West. :)

Dumbo

As my father liked to say, "look what I almost stepped in."

My question is neither overly legalistic nor the least bit moralistic but one simply looking for information. Since I have not received the contract yet, I have not had an opportunity to carefully review the terms and conditions. Accordingly, it is wholly unwarranted to suggest that what is at work here is an effort to get away with something. Even if it were, why would anyone other than Disney care? If the DVC folks at the resorts permit it, what possibly is wrong with it?

That issue aside, the written materials that we have received from DVC to date are what lawyers would call ambiguous on this issue. There is nothing to indicate that the numbers of occupants shown are maximums. Not finding the answer there, we turned to the Internet. The DVC web site makes referrence to being able to accomodate a certain number of adults in each kind of room but again, I did not see reference to any absolute maximum number of guests to a particular
room size. If it's there, I missed it and would appreciate a reference to the specific web page where it can be found.

It would seem that the DVC sales people would have an incentive to be up front on this issue in that they would try to sell more points to cover the number required for the appropriate room size. Our experience was quite the opposite. If anything, we were "undersold" on the number of points needed.

I appreciate the comments and would continue to appreciate actual experiences. I don't even mind the absurd responses and possible name calling -- I've got a really thick skin.

Since the original post has been answered and subsequent responses have begun to deteriorate, please continue this on the debate board.

Here is the link to the <a href="http://wdwinfo.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=40009993&f=66009194&m=5110952721">prior "discussion" about occupancy.</a>

Thanks!

Doc DVC Board Co-Moderator
doc@wdwinfo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter