Lights of Winter - Epcot

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
I know that Disney retired the Lights of Winter in 2008. Do you think of any possibility of them bringing back these since the Osborns are now gone from Hollywood Studios. My DW and I really enjoyed and were not happy when they left. They certainly can make a couple of bucks with t-shirts and other goodies sold to bring attenion to it. It is so special after Illuminations seeing the "Peace on Earth" segment and then when you leave these things are dancing away with great music. What do you think? Maybe Disney would listen to us for once! Thanks. By the way--I get my fix by watching it on youtube but it was so much more special LIVE.

You know, I just don't understand why Disney removes these lovely Holiday additions. Lights of Winter was one of my favorite sights, and I missed it once it was gone. I know that money can be made without bringing them back year after year, but I think that as Disney removes the little extras without adding some back, they begin to lose what many of us believe that Disney is known for.....giving guests a little more than what they pay for. I can tour Epcot during the Holiday Season without experienceing one attraction, it is that lovely for my family. We spend money as we stroll throughout the WS and FW. But I will say that I sometimes feel that Disney takes us "Frequent Flyers" for granted, believing that we will return again and again with less return on our investment. And we do. But I wish they considered why we return again and again.

And I agree......Live is way better!

Not sure what it will be called or where it will be, but I can guarantee you dancing Christmas lights will return to Disney. They didn't want to remove it from the studios, but were willing to trade a 2 month popular attraction for a year round one. The reason they didn't move "osbourne lights" is when they put them back somewhere they can do whatever branding they want and fully own the name.

My guess for where the lights show back up is on whatever park needs a nighttime boost once we get done with all of this expansion. It could very likely be in Epcot, as they seem to be getting the least of the expansion, and also have the most open space of the parks.

They claim the Lights of Winter was outdated technology and hard to find replacement parts. They also said that they planned to replace it with something else but of course never did.The decorations in the parks are being reduced little by little each year.

Yeah it truly is sad. It's all in keeping with running the parks as cheaply as possible as they've been trying to do in recent years. Nancyg56 said it well before. I don't think dancing Christmas lights will ever return sadly

You know, I just don't understand why Disney removes these lovely Holiday additions. Lights of Winter was one of my favorite sights, and I missed it once it was gone. I know that money can be made without bringing them back year after year, but I think that as Disney removes the little extras without adding some back, they begin to lose what many of us believe that Disney is known for.....giving guests a little more than what they pay for. I can tour Epcot during the Holiday Season without experienceing one attraction, it is that lovely for my family. We spend money as we stroll throughout the WS and FW. But I will say that I sometimes feel that Disney takes us "Frequent Flyers" for granted, believing that we will return again and again with less return on our investment. And we do. But I wish they considered why we return again and again.

And I agree......Live is way better!
I completely agree about Epcot. I love going over the holidays and I can easily stroll around the world showcase just watching all the storytellers. However, I will attest that I do truly miss the lights of winter. It's seems every year we go over the holidays (we go every year either at Christmas or thanksgiving), there is something missing. One year, it was the lights of winter. Next, it was the Mickey wreath at the contemporary. Next, it was the wreaths down Main Street and next years, it will be the Osborne lights. The epidemic that is affecting the holiday decorations is the same with the Christmas party. Before, we used to get a nice gift and treats, but the as the price increases, the value decrease because items are taking away. I agree that they keep taking things away and raising prices is not a good business model. I feel like those of us who are DVC are just ignored because they already have our money and it seems like they don't want to cater to us anymore. These are just my thoughts, but I feel Disney world is losing some of its magic. Since I go every year, I enjoy the little things that aren't usually there, but as those are lost, I find it less enjoyable.

I think you guys are right--not coming back but we really wish they would. It would be 5% of the work of the Osbourns. Thanks for the replys. Most appreciated it. Thanks.

I really miss the Lights of Winter at Epcot. It felt really magical. Just being outside was an attraction.

Just a quick FYI from this years Yuletide tour. We have not ever seen anything of the "Lights of Winter" in the Holiday Services warehouse but the pieces of the big green Mickey head that hug on the Contemporary is in the back of the warehouse. Maybe one day they will use it again.

Just a quick FYI from this years Yuletide tour. We have not ever seen anything of the "Lights of Winter" in the Holiday Services warehouse but the pieces of the big green Mickey head that hug on the Contemporary is in the back of the warehouse. Maybe one day they will use it again.
I hope so. I know that one reason so many people vist WDW prior to the CHristmas to New Year Holiday break is to see the decorations, ot only in the parks, but in the resorts. WE stay onsite, we eat in the WDW restaurants, and we spend money in the shops. I think that decreasing what we can enjoy in regards to decorations, and not replacing the loss with something new is a mistake. This year I read a lot of posts from folks who noticed the diminishing return on their "investment" in their Holiday trip. I admit I was not one of those folks, but I will say I notice the changes. So far, I have not felt the need to stop visiting during the Holidays, and I do hope that day does not come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter