• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lights of Winter - EPCOT archway ??

I generally agree that internet petitions don't do any good. But comparing to Adventurer's Club is a bit apples and oranges. By comparison we're talking something that would be EASY to bring back with little to no overhead.

I agree putting up the display would have little to no overhead, but the amount of money added to the already outrageous electric bill Disney has does add overhead. It may seem small when compared to the total bill, but this is an additional overhead.

I think if this is something people are genuinely upset about, forgo the petition and write a good, old-fashioned snail-mail letter. It probably won't make a difference, but most companies are more likely to pay credence to a letter than they are to an online petition.

Because the tech is obsolete? That is such a crappy excuse for "we don't want to spend the money on it, or spend the money on updating it". I was so sad when I read that update on Twitter. I have never been to WDW at Christmas time, but we're planning a trip for next year. I was really looking forward to seeing this because we don't have anything quite like that out here at DLR. :sad1:

Yeah - that is a ridiculous excuse. they have managed to keep the technology for the Carousel of Progress going for over 40 years, Main Street electrical parade at Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc....

Honestly I don't see the point. Look at all that has been done by fans in hopes of saving the Adventurer's Club, with no results.

I also do not see the point. I think they will make changes when aatendance drops even more, period.

I agree putting up the display would have little to no overhead, but the amount of money added to the already outrageous electric bill Disney has does add overhead. It may seem small when compared to the total bill, but this is an additional overhead.

and the same thing can be said about the costs of erecting them as well. This is why I said comparatively.

and the same thing can be said about the costs of erecting them as well. This is why I said comparatively.

I wonder, with all the electricity they use, why don't they build electrical station/generator or whatever it called. They grow food, they clean water, so why not electricity, sure it is a big investment, but it will pay off and they will create much needed jobs.

I wonder, with all the electricity they use, why don't they build electrical station/generator or whatever it called. They grow food, they clean water, so why not electricity, sure it is a big investment, but it will pay off and they will create much needed jobs.

Off the cuff I would guess because of environmental concerns. Building a power plant can be a very politically contentious prospect. Just visually it would add an industrial mark on the resort area that they would find very difficult if not impossible to hide.

I often see people guessing that this thing or that thing would cost too much in the electric bill.

Consider that the parking lot lights already cost a large fortune to operate nightly, (likely much more than operating any attraction... or even an entire "land" of attractions) and the parking lot lights have no entertainment value at all.

But, they are necessary and their cost of operation is figured into the "cost of doing business."

So, the cost of paying to operate a "lighted attraction" is comparatively negligible.

I often see people guessing that this thing or that thing would cost too much in the electric bill.

Consider that the parking lot lights already cost a large fortune to operate nightly, (likely much more than operating any attraction... or even an entire "land" of attractions) and the parking lot lights have no entertainment value at all.

But, they are necessary and their cost of operation is figured into the "cost of doing business."

So, the cost of paying to operate a "lighted attraction" is comparatively negligible.

But Disney may be trying to save small amounts of money in a lot of little places. And electricity is an easy save. While cutting the archway lights may save only $$, add that to other saves and the total could be quite substantial.

Aren't "lighted attractions" part of business as well, and falls in the same "cost of doind business" category? Another thing is while they can not remove parking lights(well they can always use less strong lights like they do in hotel rooms), they can play around with attractions and ridres although they will not benefit from doing so.

But Disney may be trying to save small amounts of money in a lot of little places. And electricity is an easy save. While cutting the archway lights may save only $$, add that to other saves and the total could be quite substantial.

The known cuts wouldn't amount to any kind of appreciable electricity savings.

I know Disney is cost-cutting...
but the ELECTRICITY cost is not the reason for these cuts.

The electricity "savings" is virtually inconsequential.

Look elsewhere for the reason for the cuts.

To all those that dismiss WDWMAGIC Guest theory.

First the Country Bear Christmas show went. Then the Epcot Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony went. Then "Micky's Twas the Night Before Christmas" went. And now the Lights of Winter and it's associated Christmas music seems to have been cut. Christmas Carolers at Camp Minnie Mickey went too

And what replaced them? CBJ.....nothing. Tree Lighting? Nothing. TtNBC? Another Stitch Dance show. LoW? Apparently nothing.

Something is going on here besides cost savings. Guaranteed. popcorn::

They also took out the best parade music known to man.
The MVMCP parade music was changed from saying Merry Christmas to 'Happy Holidays'...how lame Disney...how lame.....:sad2:

They also took out the best parade music known to man.
The MVMCP parade music was changed from saying Merry Christmas to 'Happy Holidays'...how lame Disney...how lame.....:sad2:

I wonder, and maybe it was said already but I did not read all the pages, maybe just maybe they try to transform Christmas at Disney to just a holiday season to be lets say politically correct, like here in NY our Christmas tree is being called by some a holiday tree.

Disney should focus on their return fanbase because they are the ones who are going to put in more money for each trip. They are the ones who are working their way up to that 2 week long trip at the Grand Floridian. They are the ones who buy every single bit of Disney gear they can get their hands on. They are the ones who pay for these special cruises, fireworks dinners, and tours.

Most Disney newbies are totally clueless to all that. Many stay offsite. Most go for 4 days or shorter. They go, they eat counter service, they buy a stuffed animal and earhat, leave the park and go eat Chinese buffet before heading back to their Holiday Inn. Am I wrong?

The more my family goes, the more involved I get and the more money I spend. When I speak to Disney newbs, they don't know about any of the things that the diehards know about. It doesn't make any sense to cater to the first timers except to get them hooked... but if you don't know what you're missing... ?!?!?

Around two years ago, a very popular personality was unjustly fired at the Polynesian Resort. Once Polynesian fans from the DIS and other forums found out about this, things got ugly! Feelings were hurt and blood was spilled. Disney must have gotten swamped with e-mails, snail mails, nasty-grams, and a lot of complaining at the Polynesian front desk. I fired off a very frosty, to the point e-mail myself. There were those who stated that it would be a waste of time – "Disney does as Disney does" and you are not going to change their mind. Well, a week or so later as I was getting home from work, the phone was ringing. A very nice lady from the front office at DISNEY was calling ME! She told me how much flack Disney got for the firing, she explained that this person was hired again with compensation, and that everything was warm and fuzzy again at the Polynesian.
Bottom line – if enough people are upset about an event (or non-event), call, write, send up smoke signals. Contrary to what some people will lead you to believe, Disney does pay attention. :chat:

The tree lighting had it's pitfalls. That I could almost see that being cut.
The location just did not allow for the mass of bodies gathered around that small area.
Then the show was cancelled last minute in inclement weather. Which also created unhappy guests.
However it's even a bigger shame now the canopy of lights is gone.
I have no idea what the logic (if there was any) behind the elimination. It could be a matter of not acting soon enough and the lights not be working properly. They are pretty old by now. But one would have thought they would have started work on them in a timely manner, like MONTHS ago and been able to handle any issues that surfaced.
A gospel choir is being added. No offense to anyone, but that sure doesn't do anything for us, nor make us even want to stop for it.
I don't mind perks being switched. IF there were improvements or replacements as good (or better), then not near as many would care.

I generally agree that internet petitions don't do any good. But comparing to Adventurer's Club is a bit apples and oranges. By comparison we're talking something that would be EASY to bring back with little to no overhead.

Yeah, but on the opposite side of that, it brings in little to no additional revenue, whereas the AC brought in money both from the cover charge and from the ridiculously overpriced drinks.

Yeah, but on the opposite side of that, it brings in little to no additional revenue, whereas the AC brought in money both from the cover charge and from the ridiculously overpriced drinks.

The Lights of Winter may not have directly driven sales in a manner in which was easily calculated or in a manner that was able to be sifted out via a survey, but it did add revenue.

Our decision to stay at the Yacht Club, was largely driven by our love to Epcot's holiday decorations at night, aka the LoW. Our plans were to enjoy evenings at Epcot. Our plans, of course, have changed now since the photos of that area, look depressingly generic and unmagical this year.

The loss of those ADR's well, let me just say that it's too darn late to make changes to dine elsewhere for a TS meal, so Disney lost revenue there.

Also, there is a reason why there are gift stores at the end of every possible ride. Because when a guest is having a good time, they spend more. They want to buy stuff to remember that good time. Well, I can see that our spending on our Epcot day is going to be rather diminished, because the best part of the park at the holidays is gone and frankly, I don't need a sad reminder of that sitting around collecting dust.

Bigger picture loss...
I have a solo trip booked in March. It is being cancelled. My partner and I had decided a couple of years ago that the holidays just didn't seem right unless we went to WDW. There will be no holiday at WDW trip next year, unless Disney decides to stop these cuts and bring back the magic.

So, those LoW that were not put up this year, they are costing Disney far more money than they can ever imagine. Don't tick off your loyal fans. This frog is tired of being boiled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter