• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lights of Winter - EPCOT archway ??

I had a post deleted in moderation too. Makes you wonder how many posts there REALLY are, if they didn't delete the ones they don't like!!
Well, mine wasn't so very complimentary...I did mention the possibility of going to NYC next to get in the holiday spirit next year, rather than return to WDW. Can't imagine they liked what I had to say, and as of 5 mins ago, it was still there...#181. We'll see if it stays there.

OK - I guess I don't understand. People complain if Disney changes any of the "nostalgic" things. People complain if Disney doesn't innovate. People complain if Disney cuts back on things to save money. People complain if Disney raises prices to cover costs.

Yes, Lights of Winter was lovely, but now we'll have to reminisce about it. I'll still enjoy my Disney trip for what's *there*. Not be hostile about what isn't. I hope all of you can get to that place, too.
My issue is that they continue to raise prices, but take away things. I know things change, but don't take it away but charge me more in the process.

Why not pass some of that cost savings on it is customer base, especially given the economy.

You mean like free dining, buy four get three free, 40% off rooms, half-off Pirate's League, and so on?
Well, I truly don't think those things are truly available to everyone. Only certain people can take advantage of those things. Free dining??? Not truly free. Just one more case of Disney 'giving' the guest something and getting the guest to believe they are getting this humumgous deal. Basically, it's only to get more of us onsite...in order to spend more money. Period.
There are many, many people who have no idea how nice things used to be. And while I understand that things never stay the same, it would be nice if some things did. They continue to raise the price of the hard ticketed parties, offer more dates for the parties (which takes away hours from those who have already paid for their park passes but get fewer hours in the parks), they offer more tickets to the parties, at higher prices.
I don't know..it just irritates me. It all seems to be about 'the bottom line'...and I have always gone on record as saying that Disney owes us nothing free, that it is a business. But, it's starting to get ridiculous.

. It's unlikely that the Lights of Winter were drawing many people to the parks. They're nice decoration for sure, but nobody is going to cancel their entire trip to Disney World because there are no Lights of Winder.

:sad1: I guess you haven't read through some of the blogs on the Disney Website

People complain if Disney cuts back on things to save money. People complain if Disney raises prices to cover costs.

For me, it is the combination of the two - they raise prices every year, presumably to cover costs, and still they're cutting back. We're paying increased prices at WDW to experience a scaled back version of what it used to be while Disney spends their money on other parks/resorts. Attracting holiday crowds to DLR, catering to the Chinese market with a new park, building more resorts for DVC members to enjoy... Disney is treating loyal/frequent WDW guests like a cash cow to milk for expansions and improvements elsewhere.

It's wrong to assume that they would have known about the lights being broken on January 10, 2009. They were working last December, so why would they be broken a few weeks later? It's more likely that they broke at some point while in storage, they were hauled out a month or so ago, and were discovered to be broken. They didn't have enough time/money to fix them, and as a result we get no lights this year. The lights might be back next year, but they can't confirm that so they can't say it.

Except that on the other board where the rumor first broke, an Epcot CM said that they haven't been moved from where they were put into storage in January. Now I suppose maybe they could have tested the technology out in the middle of an outdoor storage area that is basically a field full of junk, but it does seem a dubious excuse at best...

I agree "WHO CARES IF IT IS OBSOLETE". We love it. We also love the Electric Water Pagent, Carousel of Progress, even the Tiki Birds. I have not read through the entire thread but I am planning on letting Disney know how disapointed we are that they are not having them.

Linda

And if the technology is so 'obsolete' why are they putting in a similar display in Tokyo?

It's wrong to assume that they would have known about the lights being broken on January 10, 2009. They were working last December, so why would they be broken a few weeks later? It's more likely that they broke at some point while in storage, they were hauled out a month or so ago, and were discovered to be broken. They didn't have enough time/money to fix them, and as a result we get no lights this year. The lights might be back next year, but they can't confirm that so they can't say it.

There have been pics posted on the board that Colleen27 mentioned, showing the LoW still in pieces in the holiday boneyard. And the pieces have several feet of weeds entwined around them.

Except that on the other board where the rumor first broke, an Epcot CM said that they haven't been moved from where they were put into storage in January. Now I suppose maybe they could have tested the technology out in the middle of an outdoor storage area that is basically a field full of junk, but it does seem a dubious excuse at best...

I agree. The pics show that they havent been moved for ages. And judging by their condition, I don't think they could easily test them in place.

It's unlikely that the Lights of Winter were drawing many people to the parks. They're nice decoration for sure, but nobody is going to cancel their entire trip to Disney World because there are no Lights of Winder.

Well of course they aren't going to cancel now, since we're well within the 45 day mark for the entire holiday season and most people have significant amounts of non-refundable money put into their trips by this point. The question is whether they'll be back. We absolutely will not spend the extra money to go during the holiday season again, and if the two big cuts (Mickey's Twas the Night and Lights of Winter) had been announced before we spent a grand on non-refundable plane fare, we absolutely would have rescheduled for a different, less expensive time of year.

The problem is so many guests do not frequent Net forums, stay up to date with the changes. Also many are first time guests and don't have anything to compare to.

Disney is catering to that crowd now, and they can cut alot without that market caring.

It has been obvious for some time they do not care about their repeat customers. :sad2:

OK so now, from what I have read, there is no more tree & no more LOW, so what is there to see at EPCOT for Christmas other than the Candlelight Processional? TIA

Hey All!

Do you think something will take the place of Lights of Winter? Maybe they'll have something more spectacular???? (Giving Disney benefit of the doubt, here):confused3

Awaiting moderation:
Can someone please give me some hope that a new and improved Lights of Winter type of experience is coming to Epcot next year? I love visiting Walt Disney World at the holidays, but the photo that I just saw of the area that once was the home of the Lights of Winter just looks depressingly generic right now. Disney is supposed to be about going beyond generic. Disney is supposed to be all about the show and creating the best possible guest experience. I want THAT Disney back. I want the a nighttime light experience to find a home at Epcot yet again. I want Epcot at the holidays to feel like it’s a special place, not the same old same old.

Don’t get me wrong, gospel music has it’s place, but it’s not a suitable replacement for the Lights of Winter.

Honestly, if this was a solo trip, I would cancel it just for the General Principal of the whole darn thing. I was not too thrilled to learn that the Twas the Night Before Christmas show was cancelled. This is just completely unacceptable. I swear every stinkin' trip they are cutting something else.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the Fantasyland expansion, but this price raising left and right and the constant cuts, it's getting to be a bit much. I am totally cancelling my solo trip in the spring. They are not getting me back in the parks after this trip until they quit treating their loyal fans like we are complete morons that won't notice that Disney is not longer the company that sets the standard, but rather just another face in the crowd.

Looks like Disney made a huge PROFIT despite the lagging economy.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) fiscal fourth-quarter profit grew 18% amid a merger-related gain while the company's network business reported strength thanks to cable channels ESPN and ABC Family.

Shares gained 3.9% to $30.15 in after-hours trading as the entertainment and media giant's results topped Wall Street's expectations. The stock, which reached its 52-week high last month, has almost doubled from a seven-year low in March.

President and Chief Executive Robert Iger said he was pleased with how the company's businesses responded to the recession. "We've stayed focused on our long-term strategy, efficiently managed costs, and continued to invest in initiatives to deliver future growth."

Like other big media companies, Disney has been hurt by sharp drops in advertising, and its movie studio has seen lower DVD sales and lackluster box-office performance. Attendance and spending fell at its theme parks during the recession. But in August, the company went on offense, agreeing to buy Marvel Entertainment Inc. (MVL), owner of such comic book heroes as Iron Man and Captain America, for $4 billion as part of its effort to attract young boys to its products.

Disney also has been shuffling executives, last month naming its cable-TV chief as the new chairman of its film studio and earlier Thursday saying its chief financial officer and chairman of its theme-parks division would trade posts.

For the quarter ended Oct. 3, Disney reported a profit of $895 million, or 47 cents a share, up from $760 million, or 40 cents a share, a year earlier. The latest quarter included one more week than the prior-year period. Excluding a gain from the merger of Lifetime Entertainment Services and A&E Television Networks and other impacts, earnings rose to 46 cents a share from 44 cents.

Revenue rose 4.5% to $9.87 billion.

Analysts' estimates were for earnings of 41 cents on revenue of $9.29 billion, according to a poll by Thomson Reuters.

Disney's theme-park division, which accounts for about 30% of overall revenue, saw a 17% drop in profit as revenue slid 4.2%. Disneyland ended discounts in August and has raised ticket prices, while Walt Disney World continues to offer deals.

Profit at the ABC broadcast network and its cable stations, including ESPN and the Disney Channel, climbed 26% on a 14% gain in revenue. Cable networks' earnings climbed 19% and broadcasting returned to the black.

The film and TV production studio swung to a loss, its second straight after four-straight years of profit. Revenue rose 3%. On Wednesday, Disney said it would overhaul the way its studio markets and distributes films, part of an effort to adjust to rapidly shifting audience habits.

-By Kathy Shwiff, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2357; Kathy.Shwiff@dowjones.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091112-717719.html

OK so now, from what I have read, there is no more tree & no more LOW, so what is there to see at EPCOT for Christmas other than the Candlelight Processional? TIA

The tree is there. There just isn't a tree lighting anymore. The countries are decorated and the Santa storytellers are still around the World Showcase, but that ends early in the day. And Illuminations has about 5min of holiday material in place of the usual finale.

Looks like Disney made a huge PROFIT dispite the lagging economy.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) fiscal fourth-quarter profit grew 18% amid a merger-related gain while the company's network business reported strength thanks to cable channels ESPN and ABC Family.

Shares gained 3.9% to $30.15 in after-hours trading as the entertainment and media giant's results topped Wall Street's expectations. The stock, which reached its 52-week high last month, has almost doubled from a seven-year low in March.

President and Chief Executive Robert Iger said he was pleased with how the company's businesses responded to the recession. "We've stayed focused on our long-term strategy, efficiently managed costs, and continued to invest in initiatives to deliver future growth."

Like other big media companies, Disney has been hurt by sharp drops in advertising, and its movie studio has seen lower DVD sales and lackluster box-office performance. Attendance and spending fell at its theme parks during the recession. But in August, the company went on offense, agreeing to buy Marvel Entertainment Inc. (MVL), owner of such comic book heroes as Iron Man and Captain America, for $4 billion as part of its effort to attract young boys to its products.

Disney also has been shuffling executives, last month naming its cable-TV chief as the new chairman of its film studio and earlier Thursday saying its chief financial officer and chairman of its theme-parks division would trade posts.

For the quarter ended Oct. 3, Disney reported a profit of $895 million, or 47 cents a share, up from $760 million, or 40 cents a share, a year earlier. The latest quarter included one more week than the prior-year period. Excluding a gain from the merger of Lifetime Entertainment Services and A&E Television Networks and other impacts, earnings rose to 46 cents a share from 44 cents.

Revenue rose 4.5% to $9.87 billion.

Analysts' estimates were for earnings of 41 cents on revenue of $9.29 billion, according to a poll by Thomson Reuters.

Disney's theme-park division, which accounts for about 30% of overall revenue, saw a 17% drop in profit as revenue slid 4.2%. Disneyland ended discounts in August and has raised ticket prices, while Walt Disney World continues to offer deals.

Profit at the ABC broadcast network and its cable stations, including ESPN and the Disney Channel, climbed 26% on a 14% gain in revenue. Cable networks' earnings climbed 19% and broadcasting returned to the black.

The film and TV production studio swung to a loss, its second straight after four-straight years of profit. Revenue rose 3%. On Wednesday, Disney said it would overhaul the way its studio markets and distributes films, part of an effort to adjust to rapidly shifting audience habits.

-By Kathy Shwiff, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2357; Kathy.Shwiff@dowjones.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091112-717719.html

I heard about their profit report earlier today and I couldn't help but think about all the cuts here and there Disney has made in the last year. It would be one thing if all these cuts came because they were not making any profit but they made HUGE profits given the state of the economy and still they cut and cut and cut but raise ticket prices.

I heard about their profit report earlier today and I couldn't help but think about all the cuts here and there Disney has made in the last year. It would be one thing if all these cuts came because they were not making any profit but they made HUGE profits given the state of the economy and still they cut and cut and cut but raise ticket prices.

Perhaps you missed

Disney's theme-park division, which accounts for about 30% of overall revenue, saw a 17% drop in profit as revenue slid 4.2%.

Parks are down horribly in this economy. Just because networks are up 26% and such doesn't mean Parks gets free money. They're accountable for their own budget. If you do a crappy job at work you do not get a raise because your coworker just broke the sales record. The best you'll manage is a stay of execution as your pal's earnings are padding the bottom line enough to keep you from getting axed.

And Illuminations has about 5min of holiday material in place of the usual finale.

Did I miss something? Are you saying that the usual "Peace on Earth" holiday ending to Illuminations has been changed? Please say it isn't so. It is one of my reasons for a December trip! I stay at BWV so I can see it almost every night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter