• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lifevest/PuddleJumper/Arm Floaties?

butterball123

Earning My Ears
We are crusing on the Fantasy later this year and I would prefer for my kids to wear some type of safety flotation device. Are any of these types of items allowed in the pools on the Fantasy?

It'd be for DS5 and DS3. We use either a vest or floaties in the pool at home. But I've been looking at the Puddle Jumpers, are the kids still able to have a good range of motion with their arms, it's hard to tell from the pictures I have seen.

Any recommendations?

When we went on the Fantasy last April, my DD, then 3 ( and 30lbs), wore Puddle Jumpers in the pools and no one said anything. They are the only device that didnt make my DD's head flop into the water. We had a firm rule that once we past the double doors into the pool area, the puddle jumpers went on and stayed on no matter what, even for eating or watching the movies.

Great way to keep our kids safe..I will remember this next April...I will look into Puddle Jumpers too...:)

I am debating if I take up all that room in our suitcases for the 3 life jackets for my kids. Do the inflatable arm floaters work? They would take up less room. Our cruise is 10 m away but currently all 3 of my kids are non swimmers. They will be 6.5, 5 and 3.5 at our cruise

We also brought our puddle jumpers for our 3 and 6 year olds and very glad we did. There is no issue with Range of motion.

I am debating if I take up all that room in our suitcases for the 3 life jackets for my kids. Do the inflatable arm floaters work? They would take up less room. Our cruise is 10 m away but currently all 3 of my kids are non swimmers. They will be 6.5, 5 and 3.5 at our cruise

Honestly, I would not do the inflatable arm floats. The problem with those is that is the child's head can still end up underwater. As the get wet they tend to slip down a bit. So if your kids raise they arms, there is a chance they would have their airways in the water. They are no longer recommended. I would definitely do the puddle jumpers. They keep their heads up and in the rent something happens the vest will help them
stay (float) on their back. It is well worth it to pack an extra suitcase or have an extra carry on (provided you are flying) to have actual coast guard approved life vests. I also recommend carrying them on the ship instead if waiting for luggage to arrive.

For the OP, yes you can just life jackets in the pools. My son is a decent swimmer and I still had a puddle jumper on our last Disney cruise.

Puddle jumpers are great. BUT they max out at 50lbs. My 5 year old is too big so we will have to do a vest for him. He's still a very iffy and nervous swimmer.

They are not allowed at public (or most semi-priavte, like many apartments, water parks, play pools etc) pools here because they give a false sense of security and kids of that age should be able to swim, but my understanding is puddle jumpers are the best if you must use something. I have never actually seen them in person though.... I did see some kids in arm floaties when we were in Sedona and those looked like they wouldn't hold a kid very well.

They are not allowed at public (or most semi-priavte, like many apartments, water parks, play pools etc) pools here because they give a false sense of security and kids of that age should be able to swim, but my understanding is puddle jumpers are the best if you must use something. I have never actually seen them in person though.... I did see some kids in arm floaties when we were in Sedona and those looked like they wouldn't hold a kid very well.

It depends on where you live. Every place that I have been has allowed "Coast guard aprroved" life jackets. This includes puddle jumpers. They don't allow arm floaties, noodles, baby float rings etc.

If someone is looking to buy one, definitely look for the "coast guard approved" label!

It depends on where you live. Every place that I have been has allowed "Coast guard aprroved" life jackets. This includes puddle jumpers. They don't allow arm floaties, noodles, baby float rings etc.

If someone is looking to buy one, definitely look for the "coast guard approved" label!

And that's DCL's policy as well:

Question
What items are not permitted on board?
Answer
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.
•Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons

The following items are permitted but with the following restrictions:
•Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.

On our two cruises we brought arm floaties for our DD. It's what she used at home. They are not used like a life jacket (which she wears when we are on our personal boat), but as an assistant.

We used arm floaties for my two youngest last year that they had to wear in the bigger pool with me - they sold them on the ship too.

Thank you for posting about this. I have been stressing out about the pools and our Furry Catamaran excursion. My 5 year olds have taken swim lessons but they still can not swim. I bought these speedo suits at Target that have floatation inserted in them but I am wondering if I am better off returning them and buying straight life jackets or the Puddle Jumpers? The weight limit will not be an issue for us with the Puddle Jumpers. My twins are tiny (28 and 33 lbs). Has anyone used the swim suits with the flotation device in them?

As far as our excursion I am thinking if I bought an actual life jacket I could use that instead of their blow up life jackets which I have heard mixed reviews about. Plus I would like something on them while we are at the beach after. Can you use Puddle Jumpers on the Catamaran or are they not really considered life jackets? Thank you for your help. We leave on Monday and I can't stop obsessing about this one issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter