• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life jacket on ferry boats POR

luckyfin

Coming out of hiding
While at home I have strict life jacket rules with DD when she rides on a boat. I read a small snippet that you can request a life jacket for length of stay for a deposit. Thinking back I don't recall ever seeing kids with life jackets on the boats. Was I just not noticing? Or does fall along the same no carseat at Disney rules? :scared:

I don't recall anyone having lifejackets on the POR ferry boats.

I've always gotten the life jackets when we're stayed there, but no I've never out life jackets on the kids for the boats. Isn't the water shallow, like really shallow? I figured if them and I can easily stand in it it doesn't really pose a threat.

The guest transport boats are piloted by licensed professionals, and they are equipped with vests, but there is no expectation that you will use them except in case of emergency. They are stored beneath the seats. I have never seen anyone take one out for a normal ride.

I also have a strict vest rule for private watercraft, but I look at it this way: these boats are analogous to a city bus. They are for the most part large and quite slow, with very high gunwales, and when you are on them you are NOT dealing with piloting the craft, which makes a difference. I'll let my child ride on a city bus without a carseat, and I'll let them ride on a Disney transport boat without a vest, but with my hand and attention on them at all times. (Now the resort launches from the MK are a bit different; those are really small craft, and though we still don't use jackets when aboard, I'm hypervigilant when I take my kids on board those.)

FWIW, the water on 7 Seas Lagoon isn't that shallow in the ferry channel; that is a big craft with a fairly deep draft. I think that the water in the channel is a little over 12 feet deep.

FTR, children who participate in any of the Pirate Cruise excursions are required to have a vest secured at all times from the moment they are signed in until they are signed out, even when the boats are in dock. The CM's for those are all trained in water rescue, and the boats stay inshore and don't go out into depths where the adults cannot wade.

We are a boating family and DD wears a life jacket at all times when we are on the water. I dont seethe need for her to wear one on a ferry. Iti s a conmpletely different situation. They are flat bottomed boats, the water is only about 3 feet deep in most places, and there are jackets on the boats in the even of an emergency, plus they don't mover very fast, and are traveling a set route. Having to abandon ship is highly unlikely.

FTR, children who participate in any of the Pirate Cruise excursions are required to have a vest secured at all times from the moment they are signed in until they are signed out, even when the boats are in dock.The CM's for those are all trained in water rescue, and the boats stay inshore and don't go out into depths where the adults cannot wade.

This isn't true for the pirate cruise at the Grand Floridian. The boats are all over the Seven Seas Lagoon and definitely are cruising in deeper waters.

FWIW, the water on 7 Seas Lagoon isn't that shallow in the ferry channel; that is a big craft with a fairly deep draft. I think that the water in the channel is a little over 12 feet deep.

POR isn't on the 7 seas lagoon.

Thanks everyone for the replies, you have put my mind at ease. I hadn't realized that the Sassagoula was so shallow! Is it even that shallow when you get out to the lake that DTD is on? Just curious.

This isn't true for the pirate cruise at the Grand Floridian. The boats are all over the Seven Seas Lagoon and definitely are cruising in deeper waters.

No, actually they don't go out far from shore. They don't cross through the middle of the lagoon and the navigation channel used by the ferries; they sail around the perimeter shoreline. I asked, and was told that they never go more than about 100 feet from shore.

The kids on the Pirate Cruises are wearing life jackets also - at least I know they were required when my nephew took the cruise from the GF a few years back.

Liz

OP I just nothiced in your sig that your DD is one. You should have no porblems at all holding her on the boat so sheshould be fine without a life jacket. I am not sure if the lake around DTD is deeper or not, but it is still nto something I would worry about, especially with a child that small, and this is coming form someone who is very vigilant about water safety.

No, actually they don't go out far from shore. They don't cross through the middle of the lagoon and the navigation channel used by the ferries; they sail around the perimeter shoreline. I asked, and was told that they never go more than about 100 feet from shore.

Interesting. DD did this cruise back in 2008 and I have photos of them much further out than 100ft from shore. I would have to dig them up at home but I watched them leave GF then I boarded another boat to go over to MK.. we stopped at the Poly then passed the pirates on the way to MK. Great photo op and they were pretty far out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter