• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lexi's pre-trip report for Dream Factory wish trip! June 18-24, 2009

sammie girl

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am new to this and also I don't know very much about computers. Please bear with me through this and I do hope I get it right.:idea:

I am first going to try to add pics so you all will know who you are reading about. Hear it goes and I hope I get this right.

I am going to stop here for a minute to see if this worked!

Didn't work. I will try to figure that out later.

So I will start with my family. There are 4 of us. Mom (me) 34, Dad Greg 41, Alexis 7(wish child), and Trent 4.

DH and I have been married 9 years this June 10. Alexis was a twin but I lost her twin in my second trimester. I was put on bed rest after that and ended up having toxemia/preeclampsia and was induced 2 weeks early. As a baby she cried alot and was switched to special formula due to projectile vomiting all the time. She still had trouble but it didn't seem quite as bad. She had lots of ear infections (something like 9 rounds and 8 shots of anitibiotics before her first birthday. She had tubes put in when she was 1 but they didn't really help either. When she was about 19 months old we woke to her screaming in the night. When I checked on her she had blood leaking from her eyes and was having trouble breathing. (she had been sick with a cold and another ear infections up to this point). I got her in the car and drove straight to the ER. She ended up having pink eye and pneumonia. About a month later she had another ear infection and was sleeping with DH and me when I woke because she was burning up. Checked her temp and it was 106.3. Freaked out again and back to the ER. The doctor said temps were normal and it was fighting the infection so back home we went against my wishes. I just wasn't comfortable with that high fever. So the following day we went to her regular ped. for a follow up and to ease my worry. He said that her tonsils were touching so we ended up in children's mercy. She had her tonsils and adnoids out. (Also she was allergic to milk etc., if it touched her skin she would even break out.) After having her TNA she was no longer allergic to milk. Weird and all but she got ahold of some at her daycare and they said she had no reaction so I tried at home and her supposed allergy to it was gone.
After her surgery things improved greatly. We had normal kid stuff to deal with but she seemed to be really healthy.
Then last year when she was in kindergarten she kept getting recurrent UTI's. She would get off meds and have another UTI within a few days. We went through the list bought new clothes, undies, soap, etc. But nothing worked. Her pediatrician seemed to think it was something I was doing wrong and implied that on many occassions. I was very upset by this and decided to try out a new ped. for an opinion. Our first visit at the new doctor was last August 14, 2008. We walked in gave the history and the doc said they needed urine, which we figured. The test came back as having sugar in it. I told the doc that was always the way it was and her old doc said not to worry about that. They took a finger prick anyway and her blood glucose was over 400. I again told them her old doc did that also but checked later and said she was fine it was a false alarm. This new doc wouldn't hear of it. Said we were going to Children's Mercy right then and there. O.K. I said, still not to worried because I new it would be a false alarm. My daughter had also been throwing up at night (old doc said it was the way we fed her) she had also been wetting the bed (again was told some kid go through that) and had been very irritable and cranky (again was told it was probably a phase but he would watch for some type of emotional disturbance). We got up to the hospital and it was confirmed that my beautiful little girl who had been so sick with UTI's was a diabetic type 1. My world was turned upside down. All of the things my daughter had been going through was related to diabetes but was ignored. I am so thankful I switched docs but only wished I would have done it months earlier.
We have been adjusting our lives to diabetes now. My daughter has a pump now and we go day by day. Last week was a hard week for her and I have already gotten 3 calls from the school today. She goes to a private school and there isn't a nurse so the secretary has volunteered to learn as much as she can but still will call me for everything they do.

I didn't mean to make it that long.

Next is my son who has had his tonsils and adnoids out but is a healthy happy boy full of energy. He really keeps me on my toes. He is in preschool but loves to be home with mommy.

After several calls from a friend I finally filled out our paperwork for Dream Factory last December or January. I don't remember as I thought she really wouldn't qualify. I had the same thought as everyone about it only being for kids who were way worse off than us.

I will get to the phone calls on my next post so I don't bore you all to much. I also want to get some help on posting pics. Hopefully they will be on here before long.
Thanks for reading this far.

This is my Wish Child. She already looks 80 % better after only two days of being diagnosid and getting insulin in her system. She still has those dark circles around her eyes.
100_1289.jpg

This is Wish Child's little brother. This is also Wish Child's dog (I will explain that later)
100_1307.jpg

I have to go to eat lunch with Wish Child. I will put more on later.

You have a great start to your report! Your kids are so cute. I am glad you figured out how to make a pre-trip report! I met lots of the Dream Factory volunteers this weekend and I hope to get an update up on Tyler's pre-trip report later today if I can find time. I can't wait to see how your planning goes since we go much later than you through the same group. I am so excited that you get to stay at GKTW! Great start! :banana:

Yeah!!! A new Wish Trip Pre-Trip Report!! :)

I have already put a link to your pre-trippie on the first page of the Wish Trippers thread and will let them know where to come find you! :)

Great start! And thanks so much for the pictures!! We love pictures!!! :)

Oh goody, you already did figure out the trip report. The link you gave me didn't work. Who cares, right? I'm here now! :surfweb:

I am so glad that you finally found a doctor that knows what he is doing!! YAY! Now you're on the right track, and before you know it, it'll be smooth sailing from here on out! I can't help but cringe, when I hear how a doctor tells you or any mom that they're not doing something right. Ooooh, it makes me so angry!

Your 2 kids are lovely, and I can't wait to hear more about you and your family. Oh, and Maroo is right, we LOVE LOVE pictures!

O.K. about DD dog as promised. We had been home only a few days from the hospital diagnosis. We were at my mom's visiting (she only lives 5 houses from us). We had walked outside and this car pulls around our circle, holds up this little chihuaha and asks if we want it. I replied with a quick but stern "NO". The lady then proceeds to tell us that she was at the river when she seen this guy put 3 little pups in a bag and was tying it up. She ended up saving them and only had this last one left, the little female runt of the bunch. I still said no and turned to go back inside when I seen my DD face. It had a sparkle that I hadn't seen since she had been sick, like almost a year. She had a true, genuine smile on her face. Not a forced one to try to make me feel better but a real smile just like I remembered. The lady must have seen me looking at my DD because she then asked DD if she wanted to hold the puppy. Oh-No. We ended up walking home with this dog ready to face her dad and hoping for acceptance of this little puppy. (My DH and I were actually looking into a German Shepard right before DD was diagnosed) So we went home, faced DH and waited that night for DD to name her new dog. She finally settled on Princess Gisele (from the Disney movie Enchanted) As much as I didn't like Chihuahua's before Gisele I guess she is o.k. She has brought us many laughs and even before the Marley movie came out I would tell DD that she owned the worlds worst dog. LOL.
That is our story of Gisele and I guess I will have to wait a very long time for my beloved German Shepard. I already own a Samoyed who is 14, she is the reason I was looking for another dog. She is starting to show her age and I know her time is limited.

O.K. I am going to add some more pics to this. Some of them maybe a little old within a couple of years though. I have packed most of our belongings as we are in the hopes of selling our house and moving in the very new future.

This is DD (wish child) and me at Chuckie Cheese. She wasn't yet sick or diagnosed with anything. This was actually during her healthy year of life.
Picture003.jpg

This is a pic of my baby. I think this one is like 13 years old but I carry it in my purse and all the newer pics are packed. Had to include her in on this.
Picture004.jpg

This is only a partial pic of my DH. He is right behind DS. Sorry there aren't more of us but it seems we both try to avoid the camera. I will try to drag out more pics later.
100_1693.jpg

That is it for now I will write more later. Thanks for reading.

AWW!! A rescued puppy! How sweet!

Did your DH just die when you brought home a puppy? :scared1:

Oh yes, my DH was not a happy camper about the pup. He was so set on a Shepard that we were going to get trained and all. My daughter is soooooo happy, though. My husband couldn't be mad for to long seeing her happiness. If only she wasn't so little and yappy. She runs from you and is so fast you can't catch her. We had to put a drag leash on her that she wears all the time. One day she got loose and my DH was chasing her when a cop pulled over to help him. They were both running at each other trying to corner the pup in but the neighbors didn't see the pup and thought my husband was getting ready to have a row with the cop. It was so funny. Especially since my husband works for Federal Law Enforcement. LOL.

So like I said before I was talked into filling out paperwork for the Dream Factory. I did that in Dec. or Jan. I thought it was pretty hopeless but I did keep getting invites to different events from them, so maybe?

On April 13 I recieved a phone call from Dream Factory. My daughter was home from school that day and we had actually both picked up the phone (two different ones though). That is how my DD found out she was approved. She was on the other end of the line. Otherwise I would have made it more of a surprise. She started jumping up and down and when we hung up the phone we were both dancing around the house until I started to cry. My DD has made me promise I won't cry happy tears anymore. I told her I would try to not cry in front of her.
While on the phone the we were told that we would be going to GKTW and our dates. It is extremely hard for my husband to get off work especially on such a short notice. Even on scheduled stuff he will only be told a few days in advance if it approved or not. So that was our biggest concern.
To our amazement he was granted the time off work and they told us within just a few days.:woohoo: We were really excited because this is the first family vacation we will be going on. My kids and I have went places in the past but there dad has never been with us. We have been to disney 3 times by ourselves and with my mom.
So my daughter has another jumping episode when I told her that Daddy would go and once again I had to fight back the tears. :)

We got online and searched every aspect of GKTW (no need to do that with disney because they have been there already). We found this board and read day and night about what to expect.

Then on April 24th our Dream Factory rep came to our home to meet with us. She informed us we would not be staying at GKTW and our dates had changed again this would be time number 3 at this point. My hubby is pushing his great luck with work.:scared: She gave Lexi a t-shirt, pin, camera with a free develope ticket and a little bag. We signed some forms and she left. I eventually told Lexi we wouldn't be staying where we had looked at but instead would stay at a hotel. She was very upset to say the least. I won't put everyone through that ordeal again but on to the good news.:dance3:
Found out there was a big lack of communication between the two of us and not everything was explained to us. We ended up changing the dates again:rolleyes: What will DH work do?:scared: But we will stay at GKTW and Lexi will get to eat lunch with Snow White.:thumbsup2
DH work is o.k. but won't change dates again for no reason, so let's all pray for the best, please.

So that is it up until now. We have been looking through things we can do.

Has anyone ever done the pirates dinner show? My son wants to do that instead of a character meal. (we told him he could pick one since DD will be doing one, I know it is her trip but our DS does get left out at home alot:guilty:

I will post more later, gotta get the kiddo's to sleep.

Today my DS came home sick again from school. Now her BG is low and we can't get it back up, even with her juice etc. I won't be on here until she is better.

Sorry I am so new to this lingo!?!
It was my DD, (the wish child). We are having trouble keeping her blood sugars in normal range. Even with a strict diet and routine this week and last have been horrible. She made it all day at school but I did get 7 calls from the secretary because she was sick and either a little low or a little high. I can deal with that. Yesterday her BG was too low and wouldn't come up even with juice. Last week it was to high and wouldn't come down. It is so confusing and frustrating. I hope someone comes up with a cure soon.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and thoughts. Today was mostly on the phone or at her school (did I mention before they don't have a nurse, it is a parochial school).

Great start for your PTR. I hope your DD's BG levels get all even out and back into the normal ranges.

Hi and thanks everyone for reading and responding. We are back to being healthy at my house. Had a big scare with the H1N1 (swine flu). Luckily it came back as just some kinda virus. With that being said we know why my dd's BG was crazily out of whack.

I want to first thank my wonderful husband and two great kids for the absolutely perfect mother's day!. My husband (behind my back) did some extra jobs for friends and family to save up money to buy me a new camcorder for my mother's day/anniversary present. Gotta go my dd's school is on the phone and needs me to be there. I will finish more later.

A camcorder is a wonderful gift, especially with your upcoming trip!! You must've been a wonderful Mom!!! ;)

Glad to hear that Lexi is doing better! yay!

O.K. I am back. Yes, I got a camcorder for mothers day/anniversary. He was going to give it to me for my anniversary present (which is June 10) and we are leaving for our trip on June 18th he gave it to me now. You see he knows it will take me that long to figure out how to use it. LOL. I told everyone I am electronically challenged.

So, Lexi is doing wonderful this week. She is back to being my sweet little princess. She gets so mean to me when she is suffering from her BG. That is just one of the side effects and even though I know not to take it personal it is hard to sit and see her be so mean and hateful because I know she hates being like that also.

Now that she is doing good I am back to planning. I dug through some of our packed things (we have been trying to sell our house due to all of the medical bills). We are going to be moving up the street to a different house my friend is selling. Long story but the new house is bigger and will cost us less every month, like I said long story.

I was going through our stuff and was able to find the kids fans/water bottles from one of our previous trips to WDW. For those of you going I suggest you get them because it really saved my kids alot of stress from the heat by having them. It really did cool them off and this time it is a must with her diabetes. I think you can get them cheaper at department stores but they do offer them at MK for around 15 dollars.

I also found our pins from the previous visits. My kids love doing the pins but I have noticed that noone else has really talked about this on their trip reports. If you have traded pins at WDW you know they can be very addicting and fun. I actually got most of ours at DisneyMovieRewards.com with our points from movies and merchandise we have purchased. We did buy the kids a set each time we have been so they have 3 complete sets which they have traded out mostly.

So the two things I wanted to find and take back with us is checked off my list. Big relief, because we have so many boxes packed in storage, it is a miracle I found them so quickly.

Now I have to figure out what our schedule is going to be. I don't want to wait until the last minute but do you think it would be rude to call our DF rep and ask when our planes leave and when Lexi is scheduled to meet with Snow White? I also wonder if she even has it scheduled yet. We leave in 38 short days and I would love to have a layout of what we will be doing.

My son was able to pick one dinner because we thought that fair for him since our wish child is getting a dinner. He wants to eat at the Pirates dinner show ( I know we pay for this and it is extra but that will be o.k. as we will have some spending money to take with us.) Has anyone eaten there or known anyone who has? I looked at the pics and it looked a little bit scary so hopefully he will do o.k. I also showed him the pics but he is still wanting to go.

GKTW looks like it is going to be so much fun I am debating about not going to Epcot. What do you guys think. Our dd is 7 and our ds is 4. Would they get anything out of it? I am also wondering about the star wars ride my ds really wants to ride this but I think he will be too short so is there an area of different star wars things so he would at least get something out of the park? I know this is my dd's trip but we also want to make my ds feel special a little and not left out. He really does get left out alot because of dd's illness.

Does anyone feel this way about their other children? Sometimes I feel so guilty because my dd really really need so much of my time.

Well that has been it for my planning today. We have a pool at our new house so after the school problems today I spent the rest of it opening our pool up. I can't believe summer is creeping up on us so fast. I still have so much to do.

I also need to find out what airline we are flying from so I can find out what meds we can take with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter