1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Letting your car warm up

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by wvjules, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tOSU

tOSU Mouseketeer

Car no, Harley yes for a minute or two..

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Hercules10

Hercules10 Al Bundy WannaBe

Regular gas engine - No
    Diesel engine - Yes

4. Tuffcookie

Tuffcookie Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.

Me too! :)

TC :cool1:

5. John VN

John VN DIS Cast Member

The answers given above are very informative.

READ the vehicle Owner's Manual, as they can be different for each manufacturer. Excessive idling might create issues.

6. mimmi

mimmi DIS Veteran

I have a new Diesel and don't do it, it's cold here but not so cold that it's really necessary.
    Where I live it's forbidden by law, I rather be a bit cold for a few minutes than having to pay a fine.

7. TheIncredibles!

TheIncredibles! Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award

Nope - I park in the garage.

8. jen0610

jen0610 DIS Veteran

While professionals opinions do count, unless they personally know my car like I do, I will keep on letting my car warm up a bit when the weather calls for it. I'm the one who drives the car and knows it's own personal tweeks.

9. bettymae1121

bettymae1121 sure. fine. whatever.

when it's bitter cold like this I do. I will also do it even if it's "warmer" if LO is going along, so her car seat isn't ice cold. My car is just outside the back door and it only takes a second to run out of the house, start it, and run back in again. By the time I have LO in her jacket, hat mittens and I get my own stuff together, the car is at least warm enough to be tollerable.

10. SLP958

SLP958 DIS Veteran

I did not read everything, sorry if this has been answered.
    What is plugging in the car?

I am from Alabama and have never heard of someone plugging in a car. Is it an electric car?

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg DIS Veteran

The people in this thread are referring to an electric heater for the engine block.
    The heater helps get the motor closer to operating temp.

12. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

Contrary to belief windchill only has an affect on organic objects IE flesh. -5 degrees on a metal object with a -30 wind chill will be -5.

13. *JoGo*

*JoGo* DIS Veteran

My car has remote start so yes, we warm it up! As cold as its been, I will even remote start in while at the check out in stores.

My dh's car doesn't have remote start so my poor, poor oldest son is sent out to start it. I pay him $1! :thumbsup2

I have a condition that makes me intolerant of cold and extreme heat. I am absolutely miserable right now. I will never ever buy a car without remote start and seat warmers again!

14. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

Even though my car is parked in the garage overnight, I still warm it up for a good 10 minutes before I head out to work in the morning.

I wish I had a remote start or heated seats! Those are my only 2 requests for my next car.

15. leebee

leebee DIS Veteran

It was -7F here this morning so yes, I warmed up the car for about 5-10 minutes, while I got my bookbag packed, poured my to-go coffee, and put on my coat and hat. It's actually a minivan, so it takes a bit to get it comfortable inside. I usually have to drive it about 5 minutes before the heat comes up... today it was over 15 mins. Brrrr.... I'll be glad when we have less of this arctic air flow! (it was about -23 with the wind chill today... thankfully, we had indoor recess!)

16. jlewisinsyr

jlewisinsyr DIS Veteran

I use to when I bought cars as it has been said is better to let the car warm up for 30 - 60 seconds, but with lease, nope...don't care.

17. DarthKTrava

DarthKTrava Carolina Panthers Fan

I let mine warm up until the needle moves. Then off I go! It seems to run smoother when I warm it up.

18. Minerva Mouse

Minerva Mouse DIS Veteran

Never, ever, ever in the past, I was a start the car and gooooooooo kinda girl. But now I have a turbo with a six speed and I don't touch the gas till the car winds down.

19. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I bet your owners manual says to start the car, take right off, but drive conservatively. Nothing pollutes more than an idling car engine.
    And at least here in California, cars are designed to get to operating temperature quickly. Normally my temperature gauge is at normal operating temperature in 2 city blocks......although we just had a stretch of 25 degree weather the last 2 weeks and it took 4 blocks to get to full operating temperature.

Funny you mention plugging your car in, I mentioned that here a year or two ago and a lot of people who said they lived in snow country said they had never heard of that. Last time I was in Calgary, the hotel I stayed in had a plug at every parking spot. I know my family up there has the engine block heater, and a small electric heater mounted under the dash on the passenger side to keep the oil and water in the engine warm, and the interior warm too.

20. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

My windows are iced and I have to defrost them. If I did not do that I would not be able to see to drive.

I do scrape them as well depending on how iced they are.

Plus my dh would insist on a small warm up to get fluids in the car warmed up.

And last I hate sitting in 7 degrees driving off in the car. Give me SOME HEAT!!!

When we had a diesel Surburban, we plugged that into charger when it was freezing out to make sure it started.

21. CdnCarrie

CdnCarrie DIS Veteran

It's -20 F without the windchill here. -40 with the windchill. If you leave your car outside for too long without plugging it in it the battery won't start.

No they are not electric cars.