Letting my ignorance shine... Thank You! Pictures added

Ahnberg4

Mouseketeer
OK- so my Canon XTi along with the 28-135 and 70-200 F4 lenses finally arrived:goodvibes . In the past I owned a canon rebel film dsl, but never got past auto mode, then moved to an S2IS (which honestly drove me crazy because it was too different from the rebel) and now finally back to a slr. I have been playing with the camera on different settings, trying to get used to them. Quite honestly I am usually on "P" mode. My question is this- tomorrow night I am going to our local high school football game with the 70-200 lens. What are your suggested settings to play with for a football game under the lights? I do not need to save any of these pix, just getting practice prior to my 12 year old son's upcoming games. You all take such beautiful pictures and any recommendations you have would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Michelle

I would use AP mode. You can then force the aperture open (smallest number) so you will get the fastest shutter speed. THen adjust your ISO upwards until you stop enough of the action without too much blurr. Some blurr is ok for a few shots to show action but I like most my sports pics sharp.

You should get some nice pics with the f4 zoom. How are you at editing and raw conversions?

Mikeeee

Think that was a typo it should be AV mode.

open it all the way up to F4, assuming it is dark, set the ISO to 1600 and hope that the lights are good enough to keep your shutter speed up.

I had varying degrees of success last year during football, sometimes the lights were good and I got very good pics, other times, the lights were terrible, and the pics were not so good. If you can, get down on the sidelines, you get much better shots from there than you can in the stands.

Also make sure you do not enable the flash(built in), because that will limit your shutter speed to 1/250 which may not be fast enough to stop blurr.

Here is one of the football pictures that I captured last night with your advise. It is the first picture I have ever posted, if it works, I will add more pictures. I hope it isn't too large!

IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/4ahnberg/IMG_0225.jpg[/IMG]

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

OK- I was able to get a couple of the pictures to post, not sure why the 1st one won't post. I am pretty happy with how they turned out- I hope they will only be getting better with practice. It was a really fun 1st game of the season- we won 34-0! Great start to hopefully a great season.

Thanks for all of your help, here are a couple more pictures from the game

IMG_0217.jpg

I like how this player grabbed as much yardage as possible, too bad i captured the side line worker in the way, I guess I'll have to adjust this one!

IMG_0167.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter