Letting my 12-year-old have a little "independent " time in each land?

My son is turning 12 this summer and has grown up going to Dland. He is our FP runner there, so I'll say, "Kiddo, go get FP for BTMRR and then meet us at Haunted Mansion." And... he's off! He loves it and it's fantastic. If she is familiar with the park, and SHE wants to do it, I would say absolutely yes.
We were at DL last summer, and it was great sending DD14 to get FP's -- especially when we were at DL and I sent her to DCA to get FP's for WOC! I was so glad I could send her and not have to go myself, although I did have to bribe her with a Dole Whip to go.

You know your child best. 12 is not too young especially if you will be in the same lands. Set some guidelines and practice with some what-if scenarios. If you feel your child is ready for that then you are most likely right. Have a magical trip!

From Disney....

Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 14 or older to enter the following Walt Disney World parks and locations:

If you’re planning on some adults-only time at Walt Disney World Resort, we offer childcare service and Children's Activity Centers to provide you with the flexibility to enjoy your vacation as you wish.

For your safety and convenience, we ask that you read the Walt Disney World Resort park rules before you arrive.

I'd probably allow my daughter independent time at Disney when she's 12, but I don't think she'd want it unless a friend was with her.

We were chatting it up with a 12 year old who was being given some freedom by her mom while we were waiting to meet Merida on our last trip. She was very social & chatty and said she'd been to Disney many, many times, so I'm sure that played into her mom's decision.

I say go for it! I'm all about my kids learning independence. I don't want them going off to college scared because they were never allowed to do anything by themselves. Letting them tour by themselves fosters independent thought and problem solving skills. On our upcoming trip, my 15 y.o will spend park days with his friend and show up for dinners with us. The younger two are going to get to tour the parks some on their own, but we will be in the same park. They might make a trip to DTD without us, but that's about it.

I was 12 I think the first time I had independent time at the parks. Of course, that was in 1988 and things were a little different. You know your daughter best and can make a decision better than any of us. Perhaps one of the best ways to allow her to get some independence here would be to go to the same park and maybe allow her to be alone from 10 until lunch. Pick a place to meet. See how well she does with getting back on time. If she does well, maybe you could give her more free time. If she doesn't, then she is stuck with you.

Follow her lead. DD, also 12, loves to go on rides alone or use the single rider line, knowing she gets to sit with someone besides mom, but she doesn't really want to walk around alone. She does love shopping on her own, using her own money and checking out herself, but she is happy for us to be there. We are pretty much always checking out together at home. I have been known to go ride People Mover while she does Space Mountain for the 12th time.

I think the WDW is a great place to practice some independence. The CMs are used to dealing with kids, so it isn't as scary as trying new things at home.

I can remember walking around with friends, no adults, at that age. We had a set meeting place and time every 2 hours or so. This was in the mid-late 90's so while I had a cell phone, the adults didn't, so we had no way of contacting each other. And we were fine.

As long as you feel your kid is mature enough to not try some stupid antics, and knows better than to go home with a stranger, I think it is fine. It's Disney, what exactly are people afraid is going to happen?

I would let her do it. I was very mature for my age and by 12 I was already babysitting. If I could be responsible for other people's children, I certainly could have gone off on my own at Disney. In fact, around that age my parents dropped me and my best friend at an amusement park for the day. We did fine. I agree with starting small. Make a plan to meet somewhere in 2 hours. As long as that goes well, maybe give her a little longer.

Our daughter turned 10 on our last trip (it was DL). She wanted to ride the matterhorn over and over (and over), so we sat on a bench nearby and she checked in after each ride. She also was allowed to go to a nearby restroom or vendor for a snack while we waited. She's already asking about this trip and how much freedom she can have (which, sadly for her, won't be a whole lot more yet). I think it's natural for them to want a little "away" time. There's lots of togetherness on a WDW vacation.... sometimes EVERYONE needs a break. If you feel like your daughter is mature enough to handle it, let her test her wings. Good luck and have fun!!

OP, you are going to get a wide range of answers, there are people here who don't let their 12 year old go to the bathroom alone, and there are some that would probably let their 12 year old be gone all day alone in the parks. You know your child, and 12 is not too young for some independence, they are in what 7th grade for goodness sake.

For my kids, I wouldn't think twice about letting them have independent time like this at that age.

Our daughter turned 10 on our last trip (it was DL). She wanted to ride the matterhorn over and over (and over), so we sat on a bench nearby and she checked in after each ride.

That's what we do at Universal with Flight of the Hippogriff. DH can take 2 in a row on that and I'm generally saving my coaster rides for later, for the big ones, because DS wants to ride them and DH does too but cannot, and I don't want DS on those big ones alone (my imagination of doom takes hold so it's better for me to ride than not), but I still hate them, so I just sit and meditate LOL. And DS uses his unlimited Express Pass to go round and round and round on it, calling out "hello" each time he passes us...

My DD is 12, but doesn't have a phone yet - so I think I wouldn't do it, but only because I wouldn't be able to reach her if I had to and vice versa.
She did do the boat ride in Mexico all by herself though, and walked around the pavilion while I had a margarita ...that's a pretty small area and I felt comfortable that I could find her if I had to....
Once she has a phone (which I told her I'd get her when she turns 13), I think I'll be fine with letting her tour a MK land on her own with me in close proximity.

I think it sounds like a great idea. Where I work, junior high (6th-8th grade) take a trip to six flags. We get there and they are turned lose with the exception of a 3 pm check in mid-day. With the high school, every so often we take kids to wdw and universal and turn them lose. They can go to any park and just have 2 check ins by phone each day.

I can be very paranoid, but my 12 year old daughter takes the "T" in Boston (trains and buses) home from school alone some days after track practice. Disney World would be the LAST place I would worry about a 12 year old on their own, especially if you're in the same park.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. Of course, the last time I expressed an opinion on these boards about giving children freedom to learn independence my comment was referred to as "ridiculous". So, obviously, my opinion is not universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter