• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

letting go

DS was 4 years old when he first rode TOT.
I thought he would be scared but he surprised me. He rode it two times back to back.
I was more scared on the ride then he was. My DH and I criss crossed our arms around him, and every time we dropped I would hold his little legs down terrified that he would fall out:sad2: (over-protective mom here)
Previously my 12 year old stepson rode it with me and he TOTALLY freaked out. To this day he refuses to ride it, he waits inside the store on the bench for us to get off.

If she goes on the other Disney thrill rides then she has an idea what to expect- does she like Space Mtn or the drop in Splash? While not the same it will give you an idea of how she'll handle it! We've been progressing- Thunder and Splash were first--this year Space Mtn- next my DD will try Tower and EE.

She's never been on either. That's the thing, the last time we went she was 5, now she wants to try the bigger rides. Guess we'll just let her go and let DH deal with it since she'll be on the ride wiith her.

IMO she is old enough to make this decision. If she wants to go on, then let her try it. I would try a couple of the milder thrill rides first though, just to test her out. Thunder Mountain, Test Track and Splash are definitely tamer rides that my kids started out on first. Also, how is she on Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean? The theming of Tower of Terror is what is more likely to freak a lot of kids out than the drops.

What if she freaks ends up being terrified and cant get off?
Then she ends up being terrified and can't get off. It's doubtful, though.
What if she gets sick?
Extremely unlikely. But, not the end of the world if it happens.

I wouldn't stop a kid from doing something just because I don't like it, but that's me. She's your daughter. This is something you and your husband will have to fight out on your own.

Good luck!

It sounds like Mom is afraid and DD is like Dad and would like to experience the thrill rides. Mom needs to quit projecting her own fears on the child. Join them in line so that DD can take the chicken exit if she so chooses. Have a positive attitude and don't instill your own irrational fears in your child. f DD wants to ride, wave an enthusiatic good-bye, snap a photo and have Mom take the chicken exit alone. If DD changes her mind at the last minute, then usher her to the chicken exit and wave bye to Dad.

DS rode it for the first time at age 6. He did okay. He got very nervous toward the end. He debated and debated whether to take the chicken exit. He decided to ride it. He didn't love it. Didn't want to ride it again that trip. Was ready to tackle it again when we went again a couple years later. Still not his fav. His fav is RnR.

When I was debating about it for that first time, I found out a classmate of his (Kindergarten) had been to WDW. At a bday party, I ask the mom about her daughter and ToT. She says, and I quote, "Giiiiiiiiiiiiirl, she rode it 10X! She LOVES that thang."

Kids are funny. I think that they make up their minds in advance as to whether or not they are going to like it. If your DD has her mind made up, it's very likely that she will have a great time. And as other PP have said, if she does change her mind before the ride, there is the chicken exit. You know it. Let her go. Let her make up her on mind. I'm sure more kids were scarred by Bambi than riding ToT.:laughing:

DD7 wants to go on Tower of Terror on our next trip. DH loves thrill rides and would love the company but I am deathly afraid of them. While I don't want to put my fear in my daughter I'm not sure if I should let her go on it. What if she freaks ends up being terrified and cant get off? What if she gets sick? Talk me into or out of letting her on. Any past experiences are welcomed as well.:scared1:

All my little kids went on TOT at age 3-4, except YDS since he wasn't tall enough until he was 4 and then had to potty while in line and so missed the ride. They like it fine and ask to go on it each trip. I am terrified of it. It's the drops that ruin it for me, not the theme, so I don't ride. So what if she's terrified...then she'll scream and cry like me. :scared1: So she feels sick afterwards...you get to tell DH "told you so". ;) So she wants to escape and can't...join the club! (we need jackets I think!)

She'll be fine! I promise. Even if she reacts horribly...she'll still be fine.

And FWIW, when DS had to get out of line to use the potty, DH took him...I had no idea that my 12yr old, 6yr old and 5yr old were left in line and rode together w/o DH! :eek: They survived just fine so I'm thinking your DD will do ok no matter what. :hug:

I did IT!

DH, DD and I went to our local amusement park the other night and I LET GO! She went on the biggest, tallest roller coaster, some other crazy rides I'd never go on and loved every minute of it! Yeah, now I don't have to panic at WDW.

As a parent we always have fears, so my new one is that the Disney rides are dark and sometimes have scary themes. I will absolutley let her go, but will be a nervous wreck since she may think she will like it, but won't be able to see what the ride looks like to make an educated choice.

DH is thrilled that she is a daredevil and I am thrilled that he will ride with her. These times will be the only times he will have to deal with her alone if she freaks while on the ride. If he's good with that, so am I.

On another note, at the same park there was a little boy who was petrified on a ride with his mother. He was clinging to her for dear life and crying. When they got off the kid was absolutely hysterical and the parents were laughing at him telling him not to be a whimp. It broke my heart. How aweful.

I did IT!

DH, DD and I went to our local amusement park the other night and I LET GO! She went on the biggest, tallest roller coaster, some other crazy rides I'd never go on and loved every minute of it! Yeah, now I don't have to panic at WDW.

As a parent we always have fears, so my new one is that the Disney rides are dark and sometimes have scary themes. I will absolutley let her go, but will be a nervous wreck since she may think she will like it, but won't be able to see what the ride looks like to make an educated choice.

DH is thrilled that she is a daredevil and I am thrilled that he will ride with her. These times will be the only times he will have to deal with her alone if she freaks while on the ride. If he's good with that, so am I.

On another note, at the same park there was a little boy who was petrified on a ride with his mother. He was clinging to her for dear life and crying. When they got off the kid was absolutely hysterical and the parents were laughing at him telling him not to be a whimp. It broke my heart. How aweful.

Good for you!:cheer2:

Last Dec my DD, who was 4 at the time wanted to ride TOT. I showed her a video of it on You Tube so she got an idea of what it was like. She loved it and rode it five times in a row. I have used You Tube for other rides as well.

My son rode for the first time when he was 4. (He's big for his age.) I was terrified that he'd be scared. Granted there was some fear but that's all part of the ride. The funny part is the picture taken during the ride shows my son with his hands up and myself, DH, & my father all watching him. He's loved it ever since!
Then at 6, I let him try Rockin Roller Coaster. He's hooked.
You'll never know until you let them try.

My daughter rode around the age of 4 as well and loved it. But, then again, she pretty much loves all rides!

Last Dec my DD, who was 4 at the time wanted to ride TOT. I showed her a video of it on You Tube so she got an idea of what it was like. She loved it and rode it five times in a row. I have used You Tube for other rides as well.

Great idea, I'll try that thanks.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter