• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Letting Airline pick your seat

BUT if there are no seats available next to each other they can’t magically make them appear. Still amazing how people with young kids cheap out and feel entitled. An airline can’t make 2 seats appear next to each other if there are none. It is not fair for someone who paid for a seat to be asked to move. Kids don’t entitle people to preferential treatment- if every other family or person on a flight to MCO bought a sear assignment how is the airline going to find seats for a family who feels the need to save money and wants to sit by their child. This is not directed at you but an observation. I would not move for anyone If I paid for my seat. If it is important to sit by a child a family needs to be proactive and not rely on the airline.

Honestly...as a parent of two now adult kids, who traveled A LOT via air with them when they were young kids thru adulthood, you make a excellent point. And you are correct, sometimes folks with little kids do act entitled in these situations!

Honestly...as a parent of two now adult kids, who traveled A LOT via air with them when they were young kids thru adulthood, you make a excellent point. And you are correct, sometimes folks with little kids do act entitled in these situations!

I have a 23/25 year old. When we do travel as a family and pay for seats or EBCI so we can getan aisle or window seat not one of us would move. When mine were little we always factored in seat cost in travel plans. Most people don’t act entitled with kids but there are definitely some who do!

Last edited:
I have flown basic economy with American and let them pick the seats for me. My kids were older (youngest was 12) and had flown as unaccompanied minors, so they already had experience sitting next to strangers and were ok with it. If my kids were very young, or if they (or I) would be uncomfortable with them sitting next to a stranger, then I wouldn't have done it. No savings would be worth putting my child through a situation where they felt scared or stressed.

American ended up assigning us seats next to each other, it was an international flight so I don't know if that made a difference.

I've flown on American basic economy with a 2 year old and recently, within the last year, seats will get assigned within a few days but that's because of having a child in the reservation. I've had basic economy with 2 adults & a lap baby on reservation and in that case no seats were assigned and we purchased them the day before (American used to only let you purchase a seat 24 hours in advance when booked in basic economy, it was then changed to 7 days, and now the option to purchase a seat comes up immediately)

Today we hit the 60 day mark.. and the 4 seats self assigned... we got the back of the plane middle and isle on the same row. I am guessing it self assigns from the back to the front. Thanks to all of you you saved me a lot of money:)

I always pick my seats. I prefer to sit on the aisle and DH is 6'4" so I book him in either the exit row, or if flying on Delta, Delta Comfort. I'll pick an aisle seat near him as I won't pay for the extra leg room for myself since I don't need it.

As a PP pointed out, if you get split up please don't ask someone to change seats with you, unless it's the same type of seat. I don't know how many times I've been asked to give up my paid for aisle seat for a middle seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter