Letter to Teachers about pulling kids out of school - Update Post 53 & Post 61

Im a thrilled to report that DD's assistant principal was also agreeable to the days being counted as excused. DH talked to her this morning and she said she would send a form home with DD today for us to fill out and return and she would coordinate with the teachers for any work DD will miss.

I am so happy that this is all taken care of. Now we can go on our vacation without any worries over our heads.

Again, thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Anyone from Ontario, Canada? I would love to know the policy on absenses as well.
My son will be in grade 1 in Sept. and he will be missing 1 week of school. I was told I need to simply write a note and submit to the principal.
I strongly believe that children get so much from travel. They can always do some homework on the trip or submit a report when they get back.
Last year when my son was in kindergarten - he submitted a report on his trip with drawings...

My kids school strongly discourages taking kids out of school for vacations. It's a charter school & they get less money than the public so they need every student there every day as much as possible. Last year the absences added up to approximately 2 teachers salaries & the principal put a stern letter in the newsletter explaining how much we need that money.
They do have a week off in October, which I wish more schools would do, & of course Spring Break, Winter Break, etc.
I believe if I went to them & said 'We're taking our kids to Vancouver in 2010 for the Winter Olympics' or some other once-in-a-lifetime trip, they would agree. I don't, however, think a yearly or every other year Disney Vacation would cut it. They would more than likely say 'That's why we have Fall Break'.

I can understand if you can't get vacation time or something like that. But if you go every year off-season because its cheaper, why not try something different & only go to Disney every other year? There is a world outside of Disney & I believe kids need to be exposed to as much of it as possible. Go to Disney one year & some place a days drive from where you live another year.
I went to Disney a few times as a kid & while it was a wonderful vacation, its by no means my favorite. I enjoyed Washington DC & camping on the beach in Texas much more.

knowing in advance that my dd11 would be missing school due to our 7day cruise and an extra day (leaving day early to stay in wdw one nite), i wrote to her school way in advance that she would be missing these days.. she was still marked absent for all the days gone.. BUT>....her teachers were able to get her work together that she would miss while gone... i absoultely DID NOT let her bring any school work on our vacation with us.. she had no problem in getting it all done over the weekend before going back to school... why i wouldn't let her bring it with her you ask? we were on VACATION!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
i don't suggest telling any lie to your childrens school...what kind of example would that set? as others have stated on this thread..these are our children and we make the decisions for them... we are booked again next march for another 7day on the magic (western this time).. knowing in advance of this i will try to make sure my dd11 (12 by then) will not miss any school before this if we can help it !!!!
have fun on your cruise !!!! enjoy....eat lots...take lots of pictures.....

:woohoo: pirate: pirate: :woohoo:

tvguy said:
Okay, not to throw gasoline on the fire, but how are TEACHERS getting vacation time in the middle of the school year?

I'm a teacher at a year-round school in Southern California, so I am off in November (4 weeks), March (3 weeks), and June/July (6 weeks).

mommykeg said:
I'm a teacher at a year-round school in Southern California, so I am off in November (4 weeks), March (3 weeks), and June/July (6 weeks).
No issue there. The poster at least implied that she and her children were going to be absent from school for a cruise.

Two yrs ago my DD was pulled out of school for a 4 day vacation (only because her grandmother has just passed away and she was devestated and needed a break did I let her go) and after informing her teacher of this she was given so much homework it was pointless for her to even go on vacation. When she went back to school she had no homework for 3 weeks. I felt this was very spiteful of the teacher. This year I will give a months notice of our intend Disney Vaca/Cruise and get her work and if she gets too much that school will get a piece of my mind.

We've taken our DDS out of school for a few days almost every year of their school careers. They are entering 3rd & 6th grade. For our first trip I checked with the principal but from then on I just went straight to the teacher and gave them a note saying what days they would be absent and that it was for a family vacation. Some teachers are excited and some wince but it's our choice. We usually try to travel during weeks that they have at least a day or two scheduled off already. I wish our district would schedule all the in-service days in one week then they wouldn't have to miss school to travel in the off season. Over the years different teachers have taken different approaches with sending work, requiring work be made up or just giving us a journal to fill out. I now prefer to just make up the work when we return. It is usually not that much and when we're given work beforehand DD's are always ahead of the class upon return. They are always marked absent . . . I'm not sure if it's considered excused or not but we don't tend to miss a lot of other days.

Well, as a teacher, I feel like I do need to mention one little thing. School isn't only worksheets and other written work. I think it's fine for students who don't miss school much to go on a special vacation, but please don't think they are learning everything by doing a few worksheets! Most of the learning in MY classroom at least is in the small group discussions, videos we watch, and chatting that happens when students' curiosity is peaked. I get a bit upset when people say that doing 2 hours of worksheets will make up for a day of school. Obviously, it doesn't, and that may be okay if what you have planned will be educational.

Also, please be sensitive of students whose families can't afford a Disney vacation. With my low-income students, sending in a scrapbook of a family vacation would be cruel. I have one student who brought me back a bag of sand when he went to the Caribbean because I wanted it to be something that the other kids wouldn't get jealous of! His family is great about not making his friends feel bad about what they can't afford.

On a final note, while I don't think it's a horrible thing to take your child out of school, please consider the time of the year and the consequences of your choice. I had a student miss the 2 weeks before our state-wide testing last spring and fail every test. He had a chance of passing, but since his family decided to visit their family in El Salvador at that time, they basically decided he wouldn't pass the tests. He missed all the reviews.

I took my 6th grader out of school for a day because her life was really stressful (it's complicated, but she wasn't learning much in school at that time anyway), and we went to Hershey Park when her high school sister's chorus was singing there. So, it's not the end of the world, but please think carefully about the situation and the consequences. Thanks from the teachers! :thumbsup2

We explained to our daughter's school that this was a reunion trip. We may be small at just two families...but it is a reunion!!!

Torontogal said:
Anyone from Ontario, Canada? I would love to know the policy on absenses as well.
My son will be in grade 1 in Sept. and he will be missing 1 week of school. I was told I need to simply write a note and submit to the principal.
I strongly believe that children get so much from travel. They can always do some homework on the trip or submit a report when they get back.
Last year when my son was in kindergarten - he submitted a report on his trip with drawings...

Im from Scarborough (Public School Board) and will be taking my kids out this Sept for one week, DD is 10 and will be starting Grade 5 and DS is 6 starting Grade 2. I have also taken them for a week in Sept 05, Mar 04 and Oct 03. My note to the teacher is a few lines at the most, the dates we will be gone and to be notified on how homework should be handled. There has never been an issue (so far). My kids are A/B students and other than a vacation once a year only miss school for illness.

I also have friends with kids in the Catholic schools and French schools in Toronto and they too have not had problems taking their kids on vacation outside of scheduled breaks.

In all my time in public schooling, I never had perfect attendance. Illness happens, and when I or my siblings were ill we stayed home to recuperate more quickly and to help avoid spreading our illness. And every year, starting when I was in 6th grade, my family took a week-long vacation in early spring.

We always had homework, and I don't know how our absences were marked on the books. We always told our teachers what we were doing and why. Normally, our teachers were very supportive. Both of my siblings and I went on to college (I on scholarship to a very well regarded, private, liberal arts college) and are doing well in our adult lives.

Personally, I am VERY grateful that my parents took us out of school. The first time was after the death of both of our grandfathers within months of each other. Our whole family was devastated, and that trip was the start of our healing. And it became one of our yearly touchstones, reminding us that life is good. The most important thing, I think, was how my parents handled it - that this vacation was a privelege and as a family, we had to live up to it.

Our annual family trip was actually to a dude ranch, where we rode horses ALL week, had snowball fights on horseback and made snow sculptures the years it was still snowing, or hunted for frogs and had frog jumping contests when it was warm. We had bonfires, and sing-alongs, a mini-rodeo and country dancing. And we laughed and played as a family. I wouldn't trade those memories in for ANYTHING - certainly not for a perfect attendance award. I have plenty of academic awards - they sit in a box in my basement and collect dust. My memories are alive.

Thanks, Mom and Dad!

ImNarek said:
I wouldn't trade those memories in for ANYTHING - certainly not for a perfect attendance award. I have plenty of academic awards - they sit in a box in my basement and collect dust. My memories are alive.
Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Very well said!! Thank you for that post ImNarek!!

stinkerbelle1 said:
Very well said!! Thank you for that post ImNarek!!

I prefer my children get both and education and live long memories. And it really isn't hard to do both.

However, I was amused yesterday, got the revised Handbook from my daughter's private school. They have revised the unexcused absense policy. Before, it was up to each individual teacher to determine what to do. Now, the board of directors has decided that teachers MUST allow students to turn in all assignments and take all tests they miss during unexcused absenses, but they can not receive more than half credit.

The only absences that are excused at our school is for illness, death, or Dr. appt. If a child will be gone for more than 5 school days, families can get an independent study so that a child can stay up with school work. With an independent study, they get credit for being at school.

strega7 said:
The only absences that are excused at our school is for illness, death, or Dr. appt. If a child will be gone for more than 5 school days, families can get an independent study so that a child can stay up with school work. With an independent study, they get credit for being at school.

That is the same in the district where I teach in Southern California.

Again, as one poster stated, these policies are not for the occasional family vacation. We traveled during the school year when our daughter was in grade school-but once she was in high school and taking Advanced Placement classes and calculus, physics and chemistry, she could not have missed a week of class without missing valuable class time. So if you have little ones, tell the teacher ahead of time (give them time to prepare work if you want to take it with you) and be honest about spending time together as a family. I'm sure most teachers will be understanding. :)

SLM said:
Again, as one poster stated, these policies are not for the occasional family vacation. We traveled during the school year when our daughter was in grade school-but once she was in high school and taking Advanced Placement classes and calculus, physics and chemistry, she could not have missed a week of class without missing valuable class time. So if you have little ones, tell the teacher ahead of time (give them time to prepare work if you want to take it with you) and be honest about spending time together as a family. I'm sure most teachers will be understanding. :)

This is off topic, but, while AP classes are great from an educational perspective, don't count on your kids getting college credit for them. Out here in California anyway, the University Of California and California State University system WILL give credit, but most private colleges won't.
DS petitioned his private college to get credit, and did, but ONLY for the AP classes outside his major. They want him to take THEIR classes no matter what if it is within his major.

I completely agree. AP Biology didn't get me out of one semester of college biology, but it did help me prepare for more intense studying that I'd have to do in college!

On topic, one of my patient's at work happens to be a 5th grade teacher at the school where two of my sons attend. I told her about the trip (early December) and she said the teachers would have no problem with it. The only thing I'm doing besides alerting the teachers about a month ahead (most don't want to be bothered before then), is to have the kids do their make up work beforehand, if at all possible. I do know that this is the last year we can do this, though, as they're only getting older and into more strenuous coursework.

tvguy said:
I prefer my children get both and education and live long memories. And it really isn't hard to do both.

and apparently perfect attendance isn't necessary to do both. ImNarek-congrats on a full scholarship to college. As a single parent who will bear the brunt of that burden alone, I am sure your parents were both proud and appreciative!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter