Letter to kids teachers/school

Originally posted by fcrouch
my wife teaches at a school and her school's policy is NOT to give the homework out before the child leaves on vacation - then the child has to make it all up after returning home or doesn't get credit for it! She doesn't like the policy but she's not the one setting it. I think it is the school's way of discouraging taking the kids out of school. That may be a consideration for parents with older students - high school - if the school actively discourages this and makes it difficult for a student to keep up grades.

In this case--the way high school courses seem to be going--perhaps the child can read ahead--some schools give syllabi at the beginning of the year (like reading lists and such)--so the student may at least do something so that doing the homework an easier task upon return.

I know my brother's high school required every absence to have a doctor's note--my family didn't have insurance at the time--so even if he was sick he'd have to go to school or spend $90 to have a doctor write a note. Yikes!!!

We are on the Magic this Saturday I told the office over a month ago filled out a form and they all said they wish they were going. I spoke to the teachers and then sent a letter last week. Saw both teachers today and asked them if there was anything I could bring back for the classroom. They both wanted Mexican artifacts if possible. Don't worry your teachers will probably be so excited for your family to be able to travel. We are all so lucky to be able to have the ability to see the world. ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!:earsgirl: :earsboy: pirate: princess:

If you are still interested in knowing what others have written, here is an edited copy of what I wrote to my son's school (I edited to take out personal information)
I hope this helps:
This is a note to all teachers of Robert W****, class 615:

I am writing to inform you that my son, Robert W****, of class 615, will not be in school from Sept 20 to Sept 24.
Our family will be taking a family vacation during this time.
I regret that Robert will have to miss classes, and I will work with Robert to make up any work that he has missed during this time.
I know that it is too early in the year for you to have you curriculum made up for the week, but if you are able to assign any work to Robert, I assure you that it will be completed before his return to classes.
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to discuss Robert’s absence further, please feel free to reply to this note, or to call me. I can be reached at work daily at ***-***-****, ext ****; or at home in the evening at ***-***-****
I thank you for your time and understanding in this matter, and I look forward to meeting you while my son is one of your students.

I am a elementary teacher and all I really like is some advance notice. ( written or oral). I am aware that certain schools do like you to fill out a form for the office and get the absence approved.
I usually give them their math homework and have them write and or draw in a journal about their trip. I then allow them to share their journal with the class. I even advise parents to let their child take photographs and add them to their journal. Often I will grade the journal as a writing grade to replace any other assignments they may have missed. Plus it is a nice reminder for the child to keep in their memory box!!

I feel that the child should try to keep up but they should also not have to carry all kinds of books and school supplies with them.

Now middle school and high school may be a different story...

It is sad that people make you feel quilty about missing school. Especially if your child is not one who has cronic absentee issues! One thing I have learned over the last 6 weeks is that family is the most important thing ( I live in FLorida, and we have been hit by 3 hurricanes in the last 6 weeks).

Have a great time!

:wave2: :wave2:

Find someone in your district that has taken their kids out for vacation, and see what their letter said.
The independent study contract listed below sounds like something good too.
Not an option in my end of California, where if you aren't sick, you're truant. That's a felony here and adds up to a fine and jail time for mom and dad if caught.

Wow TV GUY that is strict......

I wonder if that policy is really being effective or if people are just lying about being"sick" more!:confused:

I was like most everyone on this thread, I would take mine out for trips. I even planned our cruise this year, thinking the kids would miss 5 days of school. Guess what our school district did this year? Changed the truancy laws on me! Whereas it was 10 days before action against the parents, they now have lowered it to 5 days :eek: I was very worried and stressd bc they didnt let the parents know until the weekend b4 school started for this year and we already had our NOvmeber cruise planned. I talked with the principal about it, and she has okayed my kids to be absent, but they will be unexcused absences and if my kids miss anymore school, I will be subject to court,fines and jail time :o So, anyone else notice a change in my sailing seasons for my 2006 cruise?!?! LOL No more off season sailing and boy oh boy, did i get sticker shock..............be careful...my understanding, is that it is not the local school boards who are gicing such a hard time ,but it is an effect of the no child left behind law.

I talked to the teachers at Kindergarten registration last April and then to the Principal when school started in August because of the truency rule with 15 days in the school district. She said that I would just need to submit a letter to make it formal and I would still receive the standard letter from the school about DS being out of school but she wouldn't let it keep him from advancing even if illness made him go over the 15 days this year. I just told the teacher about our 2005 plans and she was very excited for us.

Frankly, I think the crackdown is a factor of dropping test scores which have been linked to the decline of instruction days.
My kids are in private school, and when my daughter's test scores after 6th grade came in "Post High School" level I was delighted. The average for her class for 12th grade. It was sad to see that not a single public even averaged grade level.

I have two high schoolers (a junior and a senior), a middle schooler (7th grade) and a 3rd grader. Took all of them out of school for a week last month for our cruise.

My 7th grader was stressed at all the make up work she had to do, but said she'd go through it all again to go on another cruise! Likewise, my two high schoolers.

My 3rd grader just had to do some math sheets and keep a travel journal.

Kris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter