• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

letter from son's psychiatrist to take with me?

pookadoo77

Mouseketeer
Hi, I was under the impression that Disney would not even glance at a letter from a doctor as far as getting a DAS. So, when we went to my son's last dr appt I turned him down when he suggested to write a note about his struggles. Long and short the doctor said the DAS would be a great idea for us. And we even went over stress reducers and different tactics for us to employ and cool down areas for my kids to have a fun vacation.
My worry is still a unsympathetic or not understanding CM. Or worse I dont explain my sons struggles and difficulties well enough to enable them to understand our need for this service then I will feel I let them down if I do not get them one and he ends up having a rough time and miserable from anxiety and meltdowns. I have ,since the dr appt, heard a few parent friends tell me they brought dr notes and they did look at them. Please advise!! I wanna be the most prepared to be the proper voice and advocate for my son, as I always try to be. I wish I could just present a letter from dr or state his diagnosis, I dislike listing his struggles as the only means to get him the assistance he needs to make him comfortable. I may get all emotional listing how he struggles and his reactions to similar situations. Dont wanna be a blubbering mess in Disney. Seeing how other ppl can "suprise" their kids about a Disney vacation even make me emotional, that would be SO fun to do, but not good for my kiddos. They need to be in the loop with lots of structure. Thanks for any suggestions! Sorry if this Q is all over the place, just looking for suggestions and guidance maybe even reassurance. THANKS!!

No note necessary, and I've very rarely heard of a CM even glancing at a note from a doctor.

If you feel you'll crack under the pressure, write out your own bulleted list if struggles that your son will deal with waiting in line to give to the CM. They will look at a list you've written.

No note necessary, and I've very rarely heard of a CM even glancing at a note from a doctor.

If you feel you'll crack under the pressure, write out your own bulleted list if struggles that your son will deal with waiting in line to give to the CM. They will look at a list you've written.

Thanks! Would you be willing to look over a note once I complete it? Just to ensure it makes sense to someone who does not know my lil one. I feel kinda bad listing his struggles and not including his many attributes, is that odd? Ty again.

No, it's not odd. I thought I would be a pro listing my daughters struggles verbally, but I kind of froze up. Her struggles and accommodations are such a natural part of our day, it's hard to even distinguish what they are sometimes.

Post what you lost out here. Everyone would be happy to look it over I'm sure. Just stick with his struggles and/or needs in regards to a standard line environment. The CMs really aren't there to try and keep people from getting the help they need. Promise. But it can be intimidating!

There are a couple of reasons they don't want diagnosis. I don't have a lot of time, so will just copy and paste from the WDW DAS FAQs thread near the top of the board:

• person the DAS card is being requested for needs to be present, even if can't talk
    - you will be asked about your/the person's needs related to disability, not your diagnosis
    - you may be asked "why are you requesting it?" - this does not mean they are asking what your disability is; they want to know what your needs are.
    - For example, diabetes, autism and fibromylagia are not disabilities - they (like Cerebral Palsy, that is one of the conditions my DD has) are conditions that can cause a disability.
    Not everyone with a condition has a disability. So, your task will be to explain how your conditions affect you in a way that causes a need for accommodations IN LINES.
    - different people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs
    - no proof or doctor's note is needed, and CMs have been instructed they will not be looked at
    - explain your needs clearly, calmly and concisely.
    - include details the CMs will need, but don't include details that are not pertinent to waiting or accessing attractions.
    *posters, please do not post exactly what you said to get a DAS - people need to explain their own needs.
Asking the needs/concerns related to the disability is actually in compliance with the ADA. NOT all people with a particular diagnosis actually have a disability related to it, as I mentioned above.

Thanks! Would you be willing to look over a note once I complete it? Just to ensure it makes sense to someone who does not know my lil one. I feel kinda bad listing his struggles and not including his many attributes, is that odd? Ty again.
If you want people to look at your note, please send it to them by private message, and please don't post it.

yes, I do not feel comfortable posting it let alone listing it, I like to stay on the positive side with his experiences. Can I send it to you Sue? Thanks SO much! It is very hard to list and may seem silly but I feel like, well am sitting here crying having to "face" and put down all he struggles with. I know this is a "hot topic" and I am fine if ppl wanna be rude, I will do anything for my kids though and am kinda used to glares in public, it is what it is....

yes, I do not feel comfortable posting it let alone listing it, I like to stay on the positive side with his experiences. Can I send it to you Sue? Thanks SO much! It is very hard to list and may seem silly but I feel like, well am sitting here crying having to "face" and put down all he struggles with. I know this is a "hot topic" and I am fine if ppl wanna be rude, I will do anything for my kids though and am kinda used to glares in public, it is what it is....
Working through what to say must be hard. :hug: Sometimes thinking a bit, setting aside, and going back can help. As you've mentioned, feedback can assist as well.
Sending you very best wishes for a lovely trip!

I agree it is very hard to focus on the negatives and struggles, as we spend much of each day focusing on improvements and the positives. I suggest you ONLY think about and list those struggles that specifically pertain to waiting in a standard queue environment. Leave out the rest. It really shouldn't be a huge list, just a few bullet points. And use everyday common language, not medical terms because the CMs are not necessarily knowledgeable about medical terminology.

Just a note... nobody here on the DIS can assure your son will be given a DAS regardless of the information shared. Only Guest Relations CMs at the park can make that determination.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is hard to talk about all the challenges versus the strengths of your child to a stranger while you child is right next to you. It goes against the way most parents of kids with unique needs tend to talk about their child and especially in front of their child.

I took the advice and wrote a list out with a few bullet points (not long paragraphs or a ton of back info...just the issues and one possible example for each). I was planning on handing it to the cast member, but my son ended up getting stuck watching the parking lot trams and would NOT be moved. We were at DHS at the outside window, so it allowed me to have a chance to talk to the CM just out of earshot (he was wearing headphones, so I didn't have to go far). Even though I talked to the CM instead of writing something out, I was glad I had to list written out in case I forgot anything or in case I needed to hand it to her. I practiced privately in front of the mirror before we left, too, because I was nervous. And we had a wonderful, compassionate CM and a very good experience.

Ok, I think I have it, no diagnosis and bulleted reasons "X" will not work for him. It was hard but if it enables my son to enjoy his vacation and not stress it's well worth it! Thanks!

and do not be afraid to speak up - lay the needs out there and that's that. :)..keep the card too - we just take the last one back every time..makes it easier.

Here is a post I did a few years ago:

1. The ADA does not allow requiring proof of a disability if the individual is granted access equal to that of a person without a disability, to the extent possible. It only requires proof if a person will be granted access that is more than a person without a disability. Accordingly, Disney in the United States is not legally permitted to ask for any proof of a disability.

2. I found that in Disneyland Paris they do require proof of a disability. But the equal to the GAC is automatically a front-of-the-line pass. And even though I was in my ECV (which I brought with me) I still needed to get their Access Pass. Luckily I knew this in advance and brought my car hang tag.

3. It is unfortunate, but here is a sample letter from a doctor. I will analyze it afterwards.

(Starting with the doctor's letterhead, with the Doctor's name, address, phone, DEA Number, etc)

To Whom It May Concern:

My patient, Alfred E. Neuman, suffers from severe multiple onychocryptosis. Due to Mr. Neuman's condition he is unable to stand for prolonged periods without extreme pain; accordingly, please allow him immediate access to seating for all rides and shows. Any other considerations and courtesies which can be offered to Mr. Neuman will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

/s/ Heinz Doofenshmirtz, MD

If I am handed a letter such as that (which I cannot ask for) and the Guest demands that I read it I will do so.

A. Although I am not medically trained I have some non-technical medical knowledge. The Guest should not expect me to know what onychocryptosis is.

B. We do not give a FOTL Pass, and a GAC states on it that it is not intended to bypass lines. The only Guests who get a GAC with FOTL access are children on a Wish Trip. So I cannot give a GAC for immediate seating.

C. As there does to be an indication of a need (unable to stand for prolonged periods) I will take the official stance of suggesting that the Guest rent a wheelchair, or, if 18 or older, to rent an ECV. At least this one does give a need and not just a diagnoses.

D. As far as "other considerations and courtesies", we will always do what can be best, in our opinion, to assist a Guest with their needs so they can have equal access.

E. And as far as the doctor's note itself, I have no idea if:

i. The note was actually signed by the doctor.

ii. Mr. Neuman is actually a patient of Dr. Doofenschmirtz

iii. Does Dr. Doofenschmirtz actually exist, or

iv. Is Dr. Doofenschmirtz actually a licensed physician.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter