Let's turn around. Magic Kingdom is open till 1AM! 3/23 Some Final Thoughts

On the drive back to WL, we talked about what we might do for the rest of the day. We decided to spend some time checking out our resort, then we’d ride a boat over to the Contemporary and explore the monorail resorts before going to the MK. We had been in the MK on 2 different evenings, but we never took any night time Photopass Pictures, so we decided since we’d be on the monorail anyway, we’d head into the park, maybe ride a few rides and get some pictures.
That's a nice plan to have come together!
We stopped in the Mercantile to look for some WL themed items. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the selection was thin. We got a totem pole picture holder, bought some Christmas gifts and a few other odds and ends.
:sad2::sad2: DVC just introduced a few resort-specific items. Hopefully it will start trickling down to other resorts as well.

We walked around the resort a little bit and took some pictures. Wilderness Lodge really is a beautiful resort. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back right now.
I can be to your place in about 7 hours. Have your bags packed, I'll pick you up.

(You're ok riding in the minivan of doom, right?)

We finally went back to the room and decided we’d go to the pool for a swim. It was probably about 70 – 75 degrees, so not really hot, but warm enough to play in the pool for a bit.
It's 29° outside right now. I'd take 70.

DS thought this was the best pool toy ever and was bound and determined to get his hands on one.
Awesome!

I was the bad guy because I wouldn’t let him get close enough.
What's the harm? They're Disney ducks - they're not going to hurt you. :confused3

After we finished in the pool, we showered and changed and then hopped on a boat over to the Contemporary. Even though we were there earlier in the week, we were in a hurry to get to an ADR and then to the MK. We took a little time exploring the grounds and the inside of the resort this time.
That's something I've never done yet. Gotta make a few minutes one of these times.

The absolute last thing he wanted to do was eat with them. I don’t know where dad was, but he clearly must have been doing something more fun than eating and this kid wanted to be with him.
Sorry Junior, you hang out with Grandma & Grandpa at the quick serve place. Mom and I are going to have dinner with Mickey Mouse then drive a bunch of Monster Trucks while slamming Mountain Dew and Pixie Sticks. See Ya Later!

We finished our meal and hopped back on the monorail for a ride over to the Grand Floridian. As we passed the wedding area, I noticed that there was some construction underway. They even had an excavator on a barge out there doing some work near a boat dock.
I'd hate to be a construction worker around there getting royally chewed out by some Bridezilla for ruining her perfect day.

[OMINOUS MUSIC]Little did I know this wouldn't be the last time we'll see this rig…[/OMINOUS MUSIC]:rolleyes1
Ruh-Ro.

Maybe they are the best pool toy ever! Good job keeping him behind the Line of Death.
There was a Line of Death?!? Was it a venomous duck?

Ooooh look! It's Kathy's favorite character!!!!!! :lmao::lmao:

:stitch:

He seems to have a lot of "fans" :lmao:

Somehow missed those two comments earlier. Hearty Har Har...aren't you two just a laugh a minute. Just wait until you see my TR and something that happened at the MK!
n the drive back to WL, we talked about what we might do for the rest of the day. We decided to spend some time checking out our resort, then we’d ride a boat over to the Contemporary and explore the monorail resorts before going to the MK. We had been in the MK on 2 different evenings, but we never took any night time Photopass Pictures, so we decided since we’d be on the monorail anyway, we’d head into the park, maybe ride a few rides and get some pictures.

We stopped in the Mercantile to look for some WL themed items. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the selection was thin. We got a totem pole picture holder, bought some Christmas gifts and a few other odds and ends.

We walked around the resort a little bit and took some pictures. Wilderness Lodge really is a beautiful resort. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back right now.

6837303791_0f67de7dba_z.jpg

6837305875_5b1726027d_z.jpg

6837307345_d9be4751b6_z.jpg

6837309681_89f9c79e28_z.jpg

6837311517_bab32a3ca7_z.jpg

6837313463_b86c024fea_z.jpg

6837315761_4beb68e641_z.jpg

I agree with you. Although I've no desire to stay at WL, it truly is a beautiful resort.

We had some fun splashing around. For the most part we had the pool to ourselves… we were the only people in it. We were sharing it with some ducks though. They were swimming around in the pool near the area where the stream empties into it. They seemed pretty happy there. There were a few sitting up on the edge of the rocks and probably about 4 or 5 in the pool swimming. DS thought this was the best pool toy ever and was bound and determined to get his hands on one. I was the bad guy because I wouldn’t let him get close enough.

Meanie, meanie, meanie!

After we finished in the pool, we showered and changed and then hopped on a boat over to the Contemporary. Even though we were there earlier in the week, we were in a hurry to get to an ADR and then to the MK. We took a little time exploring the grounds and the inside of the resort this time.

6837319445_0c6b7e82b4_z.jpg

I have a couple of pictures here with our boys when we stayed at the CR...can't believe it is still there. :goodvibes

After we looked around a bit, we got on a monorail and rode it to the Polynesian. This is the first time I’ve ever been inside this resort. It’s a beautiful resort with a great location. They don’t seem to do much in the way of Christmas decorations though.

LOVE the Poly.

Despite our rather pleasant meal, someone was having a full blown meltdown across the dining room. Apparently grandma and grandpa were eating with their grandson who was probably around 3 or 4. The absolute last thing he wanted to do was eat with them. I don’t know where dad was, but he clearly must have been doing something more fun than eating and this kid wanted to be with him. We were eating an early dinner, so the place was empty except for us and them… I could tell they were embarrassed, but I really felt sorry for them. We completely understood.

We've all been there at one time or another.

I have to say of all the monorail resorts, the last one I want to stay at is the GF. It is a beautiful resort, but I just felt out of place there. When I’m walking around the lobby in jeans and I’m passing by people in tuxes and cocktail dresses… it just ain’t right.:confused3

Agree with you here. The one and only time we went to look at the GF when it was new, people were walking around (and by people I mean guests) in pressed khakis and starched shirts! Sorry...I'm on vacation; I don't iron at home and I'm not ironing on vacation. My DH won't even walk in the resort any more.

It sounds like an overall great afternoon.

We stopped in the Mercantile to look for some WL themed items.

Stuff like that is hard to come by any more. They make more profit by limiting the amount of merchandise, but the unique pieces were just more fun.

Wilderness Lodge really is a beautiful resort. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back right now.

::yes:: and ::yes::

You did remember to rub Humphrey’s nose… right?

See the Bear?

We finally went back to the room and decided we’d go to the pool for a swim.

All the pools at WDW are great, but this is one of my favorites

We were sharing it with some ducks though.

Cool!

DS thought this was the best pool toy ever and was bound and determined to get his hands on one.

:lmao:

I was the bad guy because I wouldn’t let him get close enough.

Someone has to be the bad guy…
and it usually ends up being “Dad”.

After we looked around a bit, we got on a monorail and rode it to the Polynesian.

Boat… Monorail… Polly…

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Despite our rather pleasant meal, someone was having a full blown meltdown across the dining room.

Unfortunate. As my SIL would say: “Were at the happiest place in the world and you’re complaining! What’s wrong wit’ you Bunkie?””

I don’t know where dad was, but he clearly must have been doing something more fun than eating and this kid wanted to be with him.

Question answered.
I’d have had him out of the room before very long. I had to miss a couple of meals early on, but DS learned in short order that throwing a fit in public was never an advantages decision.

We were eating an early dinner, so the place was empty except for us and them… I could tell they were embarrassed, but I really felt sorry for them. We completely understood.

Goes without sayin’. Those that look down their nose are either insensitive or haven’t yet tried raising a family.

[OMINOUS MUSIC]Little did I know this wouldn't be the last time we'll see this rig…[/OMINOUS MUSIC]

popcorn::

I have to say of all the monorail resorts, the last one I want to stay at is the GF. It is a beautiful resort, but I just felt out of place there.

WooHoo… It’s not just me!

Gorgeous? Absolutly. But… just not a place that makes me want to kick back and relax.

I had never stepped foot inside the Poly or GF before, so it was fun to be able to explore them a little bit and see what the fuss is all about. One of these days, we’re going to need to do the same thing over at the EPCOT resorts…

::yes::

The A-Team! What do I win? :confused3
A new car!

the-a-team-van-7.jpg

+1:thumbsup2

:sad1: I wish they'd go back to more resort-specific stuff in the stores.

Hey, me too! It really is spectacular. Your pictures are great.
Thanks... but DW was the photographer.

Maybe they are the best pool toy ever! Good job keeping him behind the Line of Death
Thankfully, there weren't any big, green toothy pool toys. And I'm not sure how relevant the Line of Death. is when you're actually in the water. :scared1:

Maybe not, but I really love the theme there too.
Yes, it is a beautiful setting.

No Dole Whips? I thought that was the whole point of eating there? :confused3
No, the point of eating there was that we were hungry and it was on the way to our final destination. :confused3 :lmao:

Son, Daddy's not doing anything cool at all. Just Star Tours and Toy Story Mania.
Just sit down and be good and I'll let you have some of my Dole Whip.

Did DS decide it was the coolest sandbox toy ever?
No, but I did. :cool2:

Yeah, I agree. Honestly, the GF and the Epcot resorts sort of blend together for me in terms of the theme--they all mostly say "swanky hotel" rather than being exotic. Maybe I'm just not used to the fancy-pants side of life, either.
Well said. I have to agree with that statement.:thumbsup2

Nice job on the resort-hopping!
Thanks. My legs were getting tired though.

WL is a really pretty resort, especially at Christmas time!

That's so cute that DS wanted to get a duck to play with!
He was in his (Donald) Duck phase at the time, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. :confused3

I am thinking of checking out Captain Cook's one night on our next trip. I have heard so many good things about that grilled cheese sandwich. Did your DW enjoy it?
I don't remember exactly what the sandwich had on it, but DW didn't realize it was anything more than just cheese when she ordered it. When she saw it, she was a little bit disappointed, but once she took a bite, she really seemed to like it.

I love your pics of the decorations at the monorail resorts! I'm hoping we'll have time to do the same!
Thanks. It was really nice to have a few hours to see some things we hadn't had a chance to experience before.

What a lovely little update!!! You are really making me want to go at Christmas time!!
And I haven't even gotten to the best part of Disney at Christmas yet. :rolleyes1 I would go back during Christmas time in a heartbeat.

I just have to say, and please don't think I am creepy, you guys are the cutest family ever. I love happy families :lmao:
Thanks, I take it as a complement! :thumbsup2

It isn't that creepy. :rolleyes1 :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

You are no fun Dad.
:sad2: I know... somebody's got to ruin all the fun.

No, in addition to the tree they have a wreath....way back in the distance there. How many more decorations do you need?
Ok, you got me there. :lmao::lmao:

That's quite a sacrifice. I'm impressed. Although he probably would have preferred that you used your desserts to get him some......dessert! :banana:
Because we didn't give him enough sugar the rest of the week. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I hate to see grandmas and grandpas having meltdowns. :sad2:
I hate to see anyone having a meltdown. I really did feel bad for them, but DS was checking it all out and selfishly, I was hoping he wouldn't join in sympathy.:scared1:

They should sell those tuxedo t-shirts at least, right? :confused3
:idea: I think you might be on to something! Next time I resort hop, I'm going to wear a sleeveless tuxedo shirt. I'll show them some class. :lmao:

That's a nice plan to have come together!
We all have our moments once in a while.

:sad2::sad2: DVC just introduced a few resort-specific items. Hopefully it will start trickling down to other resorts as well.
Yeah, I did notice they had a whole wall of DVC Wilderness Lodge shirts and jackets. Right next to it was a tiny table with some non-DVC Wilderness Lodge picture holders... and that's about it.

I can be to your place in about 7 hours. Have your bags packed, I'll pick you up.

(You're ok riding in the minivan of doom, right?)
Ok I'm in. I'll be sure to pack my tool box. :rolleyes1

It's 29° outside right now. I'd take 70.
Absolutely! Wasn't complaining about the temperature. It felt great!

What's the harm? They're Disney ducks - they're not going to hurt you. :confused3
Maybe not intentionally... Donald does seem a little bit accident prone.

That's something I've never done yet. Gotta make a few minutes one of these times.
Definitely! :thumbsup2

Sorry Junior, you hang out with Grandma & Grandpa at the quick serve place. Mom and I are going to have dinner with Mickey Mouse then drive a bunch of Monster Trucks while slamming Mountain Dew and Pixie Sticks. See Ya Later!
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Barry, I think you just hit on an idea for the next new addition to the Richard Petty Driving Experience. :rolleyes1

I'd hate to be a construction worker around there getting royally chewed out by some Bridezilla for ruining her perfect day.
Eh, just tell her to have a magical day! :thumbsup2

There was a Line of Death?!? Was it a venomous duck?
No, but it had a sharp beak. :confused3

Somehow missed those two comments earlier. Hearty Har Har...aren't you two just a laugh a minute. Just wait until you see my TR and something that happened at the MK!
Hmmmm... a little run in with everyone's favorite Hawaiian alien? :confused3 :lmao:

I agree with you. Although I've no desire to stay at WL, it truly is a beautiful resort.
Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to stay there? :confused3

Meanie, meanie, meanie!
I know... it's called tough love. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

I have a couple of pictures here with our boys when we stayed at the CR...can't believe it is still there.
It really is a great place to take pictures. I never knew about it until I saw it in some other TR's on here. I'm glad we stumbled across it while we were there. We might have to make it a point to go back in the future.

LOVE the Poly
I could see myself staying there... :rolleyes1

We've all been there at one time or another.
If you said you haven't, you'd be lying to yourself. :lmao:

Agree with you here. The one and only time we went to look at the GF when it was new, people were walking around (and by people I mean guests) in pressed khakis and starched shirts! Sorry...I'm on vacation; I don't iron at home and I'm not ironing on vacation. My DH won't even walk in the resort any more.
This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it. It really was a beautiful place, but just not the atmosphere I want to be in when I'm on vacation.

Stuff like that is hard to come by any more. They make more profit by limiting the amount of merchandise, but the unique pieces were just more fun.
I know... merchandise as a whole was disappointing. I was looking forward to getting some things while we were there, but in all our trips to the stores, it all just seemed like it was all cheap and homogenized. I ended up just getting a 40 year T-shirt and a picture frame for my desk.:confused3

Now when can we relive it in your TR... You know, the one for a trip that took place well before mine? :confused3 :rolleyes1

You did remember to rub Humphrey’s nose… right?
I did remember... but didn't do it.:rolleyes1

See the Bear

All the pools at WDW are great, but this is one of my favorites
It really is neat. I love the "rocky" surroundings and the stream running into the pool. Where else are you going to find something like that?

(I know, stupid question... you've probably got about 20 answers to it.):rolleyes1

Someone has to be the bad guy…
and it usually ends up being “Dad”.
A shame how that tends to work.

Boat… Monorail… Polly…

Ahhhhhhhhhh!
You know, that sounds like a pretty good plan for this afternoon. If only I could...:sad2:

Unfortunate. As my SIL would say: “Were at the happiest place in the world and you’re complaining! What’s wrong wit’ you Bunkie?””
There's no crying in Disney World!!!

Question answered.
I’d have had him out of the room before very long. I had to miss a couple of meals early on, but DS learned in short order that throwing a fit in public was never an advantages decision.
I would tend to agree with your strategy in most cases. I have to be honest though, I didn't have a problem with them keeping him there against his will. They certainly weren't giving in to him, and with the dining room being empty with the exception of 2 tables, they really weren't bothering anyone. They were handling the situation well and I think someone was getting a bit of an education out of it. ;)

Goes without sayin’. Those that look down their nose are either insensitive or haven’t yet tried raising a family.
Or all of the above.

WooHoo… It’s not just me!

Gorgeous? Absolutly. But… just not a place that makes me want to kick back and relax.
I think from the responses I've seen so far, we have the makings of the start of a support group.

Now let me ask you this... is GF your DW's favorite resort anywhere on the property? :headache:

Hmmmm... a little run in with everyone's favorite Hawaiian alien? :confused3 :lmao:

You will just have to wait and see. :rolleyes1

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to stay there? :confused3

It looks too much like a lodge in Wisconsin for one. And we visited there three years ago because DH had wanted to stay there. We asked to see a room and the CM told us that Disney did not allow that. I knew that to be a lie and it just turned me off. Also, had a horrible experience at WCC and did not care for how small the pool was.

It looks too much like a lodge in Wisconsin for one. And we visited there three years ago because DH had wanted to stay there. We asked to see a room and the CM told us that Disney did not allow that. I knew that to be a lie and it just turned me off. Also, had a horrible experience at WCC and did not care for how small the pool was.

Hey now, what's wrong with looking like a lodge in Wisconsin?:mad:

Not a darn thing since one of my favorite people on the DIS lives there. It's just I like things that "don't look like home." Also the reason BLT holds no appeal to me -- looks too much like buildings where I work. ;)

I Love it When a Plan Comes Together

Hannibal!

Great pics of WL! It looks awesome decorated for Christmas!

We were sharing it with some ducks though. They were swimming around in the pool near the area where the stream empties into it. They seemed pretty happy there. There were a few sitting up on the edge of the rocks and probably about 4 or 5 in the pool swimming. DS thought this was the best pool toy ever and was bound and determined to get his hands on one. I was the bad guy because I wouldn’t let him get close enough.
I hope those ducks used the facilities BEFORE getting in the pool. :eek:

6837319445_0c6b7e82b4_z.jpg

Great pic! :thumbsup2

Despite our rather pleasant meal, someone was having a full blown meltdown across the dining room.
Been there. Done that... I'm sure I'll be there again. :laughing:

We finished our meal and hopped back on the monorail for a ride over to the Grand Floridian. As we passed the wedding area, I noticed that there was some construction underway. They even had an excavator on a barge out there doing some work near a boat dock. I thought that was kind of neat to see. [OMINOUS MUSIC]Little did I know this wouldn't be the last time we'll see this rig…[/OMINOUS MUSIC]
DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not a darn thing since one of my favorite people on the DIS lives there. It's just I like things that "don't look like home." Also the reason BLT holds no appeal to me -- looks too much like buildings where I work. ;)

That makes complete sense.

Were you referring to the Wilderness Resort in the Dells? Looks almost exactly like the Wilderness Lodge.

Ok, thanks for sharing. I was just curious what you didn't like about it. Those are some valid points. I tend to get a little bit put off when I have bad experiences somewhere too.

You all seem like a fun bunch!!

Plenty.

Not a darn thing since one of my favorite people on the DIS lives there.
I hope you're referring to Bambi. :rolleyes1

It's just I like things that "don't look like home." Also the reason BLT holds no appeal to me -- looks too much like buildings where I work. ;)
I kind of agree with BLT... but not that it looks like the buildings where I work. :rotfl: It doesn't have that special themed appearance to it like the other resorts have, or even like the A frame part of the Contemporary.

Great pics of WL! It looks awesome decorated for Christmas!
It really did. Just something about the decor of that lodge that just really seems to go with the whole Christmas theme.

I hope those ducks used the facilities BEFORE getting in the pool. :eek:
I kind of thought about that. I guess that's what pool chemicals are for. :confused3

Great pic! :thumbsup2
Thanks

Been there. Done that... I'm sure I'll be there again. :laughing:
Probably sometime around November... :rolleyes1

The first thing I thought when I read that there were ducks in the pool was "boy, I bet Everett would move heaven and earth to grab a baby duck". I guess all little boys think alike! :rotfl:

Resort hopping is a great way to spend an afternoon, glad you guys got the chance! :thumbsup2

I've got to go try that adult grilled cheese one of these trips, it is calling my name!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter