let's talk suitcases

ez

<font color=green>Yoshi Lover<br><font color=deepp
we were just about to buy my daughter a large suitcase for her London trip, and some lady in the store came up to us and told us not to get that kind, hers fell apart. They had some London fog suitcases that looked pretty good, but came home and couldnt find any reviews. Who has recommendations for a 28-29 inch spinner suitcase?, thanks.

I was told once by a seasoned traveler to buy cheap luggage. He said that no matter the quality it gets banged up.

I used to live near the America Tourister factory I could buy really nice luggage cheap.

Having had a piece of luggage after flying that looked like a forklift ran over it i now subscribe to this theory.

I have been traveling for more than 30 years. Nice, cheap, it all ends up ruined. Now I buy cheap stuff.

Lisa

My sister travels a lot for work and told me to get the least expensive since they all fall apart. I took her advice and bought it from BJs.

They all break. I go for cheap.

I would also rethink the 28-29 inch size as it may be too large for the airlines. We never use luggage that large when flying. Make sure you find out what your airline allows and measure the piece you are planning to buy (including wheels). You don't want to be charged for oversized luggage.

If she is flying a European line, check the website for what luggage size is allowed. They can be different than US.

Our DD just went to WDW with school orchestra and we needed to get luggage. Kohls had samsonite spinner on sale for $135 with 30% off. It's 28" piece that passes airline size. It weighed 11 pounds empty and 39 pounds filled . Max weight allowed was 50 pounds.

The size/weight allowance is different for every airline, although most do a simple visual check. The reality is that an inch over doesn't really matter to them, but they could be sticklers in order to get oversize fees.

American Airlines is 50 lbs/62 inches combined height/length/width for trips to Europe - and always assume that means with wheels and handles. I have this set myself:

http://www.costco.com/Ricardo-2-piece-Hardside-Spinner-Set---Silver.product.100103886.html

The '27" spinner' is actually 29"x20.5x11.5", which makes the total 61 inches. So this would work.

I personally don't get the deal with buying something pricey, unless you're a pilot or flight attendant. However, they don't typically check in luggage. I heard they often like Travelpro because they tend to not fall apart. It will still suffer damage, but it's a combination of affordability and durability.

I really don't get anyone who would purchase something like Louis Vutton luggage and check it in. That makes no sense to me, even for rich people. It says to me that whoever uses it has something worth stealing, as well as "This piece of luggage itself is worth stealing".

I was told once by a seasoned traveler to buy cheap luggage. He said that no matter the quality it gets banged up.

I used to live near the America Tourister factory I could buy really nice luggage cheap.

Having had a piece of luggage after flying that looked like a forklift ran over it i now subscribe to this theory.

I have been traveling for more than 30 years. Nice, cheap, it all ends up ruined. Now I buy cheap stuff.

Lisa

There's a difference between affordable and cheap. I got a spinner carry-on/check-in set for $100 and it's affordable but not cheap. I don't worry that it's going to fall apart, although I know it's going to get scuffed or even run over. Ever seen the dream sequence in Three Kings where the reservist who is a baggage handler is thinking back to his regular job, where he has to deal with luggage flying open all the time and where he has to jam it back in. You can't really worry too much about cosmetic damage, since it's inevitable.

Some of the best luggage I've gotten was from off-price stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Costco has some really good deals too, but then there's the issue that it seems that someone else has the same set or piece. I got one set and last time we flew I had to do a double take when I saw an identical set. I know a lot of people tie fabric strings to the handle or add stickers. I added a few, but they fell off every now and then.

There's a difference between affordable and cheap. I got a spinner carry-on/check-in set for $100 and it's affordable but not cheap. I don't worry that it's going to fall apart, although I know it's going to get scuffed or even run over. Ever seen the dream sequence in Three Kings where the reservist who is a baggage handler is thinking back to his regular job, where he has to deal with luggage flying open all the time and where he has to jam it back in. You can't really worry too much about cosmetic damage, since it's inevitable.

Some of the best luggage I've gotten was from off-price stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Costco has some really good deals too, but then there's the issue that it seems that someone else has the same set or piece. I got one set and last time we flew I had to do a double take when I saw an identical set. I know a lot of people tie fabric strings to the handle or add stickers. I added a few, but they fell off every now and then.

Agreed, I used the wrong word. Just don't spend a lot. It's going to be ruined. My most favorite suitcase came back from a trip to our beloved Disney with an oil stain on it the size of a small watermelon.

Lisa

I don't travel extensively, but I have a feeling that "buy cheap & toss when trashed" is a good way to go. That principle might be applied to a lot of consumer products these days.:)

I bought a large kirkland branded (costco) bag when we went to Asia, and that thing is a TANK. It is huge, held a ton of stuff, and it looks new to this day (and I've used it since). Before that bag, I had a small Kirkland branded wheeled carry on, and that I also still use (that was my go-to bag when I traveled for business, which I did a LOT before I retired). I think Costco has pretty high standards for their branded products, and I've always been pleased. Plus, if it WERE to break the first trip, they are great about returns. As I say though, both my Kirkland bags are in great shape after a lot of abusive travel situations.

I travel weekly for work and I love the Ogio bags:thumbsup2 they are not cheap but not really expensive either. They hold a ton of stuff for their size and have stood up to weekly airplane trips. I especially like the different zippered compartments and that they expand, so if I start out with a cary-on size but happen to find some great deals while I'm traveling I can just undo the zipper and voila it holds twice as much and I check it :cool1:

eBags.com

I love their own brand - ebags.

Totally agree. If you love organization, get what is called the "mother lode 25". It is fantastic. Just got back from a 14 day, very busy and many locations Spain trip and this piece kept me completely organized. Just go to their website and watch the video. Loved it! Here you go... http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-junior-25-wheeled-duffel/125548?productid=10197985&lastSearchTerm=mother+lode+tls+junior+25%22+wheeled+duffel

I just watched the video, that bag is amazing!!! Wow!!!

I totally agree with this. Well "inexpensive" anyway. I've tried the expensive pieces and the inexpensive and they all fall apart fairly quickly. My current one is a bright yellow hardsided one. I put a strap around it just to make sure it doesn't come apart. So far it's held up well - just has lots of scuff marks. I figure if I get a dozen trips/flights out of it I'm doing pretty good.

My DH travels on business and always uses a 22" Travelpro. He usually carries it on, so it doesn't get a lot of wear.

OP, I would also re-think a 29" suitcase. That's really ginormous. Will your DD be doing any traveling after her time at the university? If she's just going to the college and home, then a big bag isn't a problem. If she's planning to travel after her studies she isn't going to want to drag a 29" suitcase behind her.

My DH travels on business and always uses a 22" Travelpro. He usually carries it on, so it doesn't get a lot of wear.

OP, I would also re-think a 29" suitcase. That's really ginormous. Will your DD be doing any traveling after her time at the university? If she's just going to the college and home, then a big bag isn't a problem. If she's planning to travel after her studies she isn't going to want to drag a 29" suitcase behind her.

Not sure about a typical 29" roller, but a typical 27" spinner is going to be 29" with wheels. I noted mine, which is 61" if you add the three dimensions. Dimensions really aren't that critical when it's put in the baggage hold, but the hard limit is a way for airlines to collect oversize fees.

The other frustrating thing is that airlines don't really standardize the sizes these days. The cynic in me believes it's to get more in check-in fees, although it's only been recent that they've heavily enforced. Some of those 21" or 22" carry-ons are less than the max 22" length allowed by United/American/Delta - if you include the wheels. Southwest and other airlines still have a 24" max length for carry-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter