Lets talk graduation parties

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
DD graduates High school in 3 weeks. Her party will be in 4 weeks.I figured it would give us a week to recharge and not be so rushed.

My original plan was to have a taco man, Dj , dessert station, etc, After pricing everything the party would be over $1000. Taco man would cost around $600-$800 and Dj $350-$450, plus food supplies, cake, decorations, table and chair rentals etc.

DD says save money on the dj and she will make a play list. Dh and I decided just to make the food.
so here is what we got going on...

$100 Wal-Mart gift card I earned from survey app. I can use it at Sam's club or Walmart :)
$100 American express gif card we got for Christmas
$280 BofA rewards from credit card
$90 Citi cards rewards from credit card
$40 from surveys
$10 from swagbucks

total- $620 to spend

Guest list is 123
I predict about 67-70 will actually show up. I'll do a head count a week before for food count. I'll keep yall posted-lol!

Food- Shredded beef, beans, rice and a roll-MIL offered make the rice :)

Drinks- water bottles, I have two bottles of margarita mix and a bottle of Rum I had already bought. A Family member offered to make the Mexican flavored waters :)

Appetizers- large bowl of watermelon, Bowl Mexican snack you put lemon and chili on, nachos, popcorn
and maybe a veggie tray

Cake- need to look into Costco or Sam's . who has the best cakes between the two? Do they make full sheets?

Decorations- Party City bought some for $36 . I still need to find nice centerpieces. Want something with glass and candles. Dollar tree has nice large tall glass vases

I usually do everything myself especially with the food because I don't like asking. This time if anyone offers I will gladly accept-lol!

Would love to hear from those who have already had their parties or are in the planning process. Tips or ideas are welcomed :)

**BTW I'm so grateful for this budget board and everyone here who always helps. I've learned so much about budgeting and saving money

Last edited:
We just did one Costco cake and it was enough. They will use your school colors. DD made a batch of cake pops and I made a tray of graduation hats. The hats were made with Reese's cups and a dab of frosting to stick a chocolate covered graham cookie on top. A piece of a fruit roll up or a twizzler was the "tassel". It was plenty because around here it is more like an open house so not everyone eats a ton.

It sounds like you have a good plan!

DD set out scrapbook pages as kind of a guest book. People could leave notes to her and she put them in a scrapbook afterwards. She also made a poster photo collage to display.

You are way fancier than I am! Ill probably put some candy on the tables and call it a day.

My son graduates next week and the party is in June. I got a small community hall for $100 plus $150 refundable deposit. So many places were so expensive and/or had crazy restrictions on food and drinks. This place is adjacent to a park so its perfect, and I can bring whatever I want. I am having chicken tenders catered, getting pulled pork from sams (frozen), husband is making wings. I will also make a spicy bean side dish, cole slaw, fruit, etc. Maybe a potato salad. There will be chips and other snacks. I need to order a cake, and I am paying a friend to make some decorated cut out cookies. I got pretty paper table cloths at party city, and a decorative box for cards. Also a bunch of graduate balloons ordered from dollar tree. I plan to bring lots of pictures and memorabilia to decorate. Husband bought a ton of various canned drinks and I will have bottled water. May have a 12 pack of beer.

I think Costco cakes are good.

We just did one Costco cake and it was enough. They will use your school colors. DD made a batch of cake pops and I made a tray of graduation hats. The hats were made with Reese's cups and a dab of frosting to stick a chocolate covered graham cookie on top. A piece of a fruit roll up or a twizzler was the "tassel". It was plenty because around here it is more like an open house so not everyone eats a ton.

It sounds like you have a good plan!

DD set out scrapbook pages as kind of a guest book. People could leave notes to her and she put them in a scrapbook afterwards. She also made a poster photo collage to display.
Good to know Costco does school grad colors. Grad hats sounds yummy. Did you use the mini or regular cups? I like the guest book idea where people can write messages. I thought about doing a message jar type thing where people gave leave positive sayings, messages, funny stuff so when she's in her dorm and feels down or homesick she can pullout a message :)

You are way fancier than I am! Ill probably put some candy on the tables and call it a day.

My son graduates next week and the party is in June. I got a small community hall for $100 plus $150 refundable deposit. So many places were so expensive and/or had crazy restrictions on food and drinks. This place is adjacent to a park so its perfect, and I can bring whatever I want. I am having chicken tenders catered, getting pulled pork from sams (frozen), husband is making wings. I will also make a spicy bean side dish, cole slaw, fruit, etc. Maybe a potato salad. There will be chips and other snacks. I need to order a cake, and I am paying a friend to make some decorated cut out cookies. I got pretty paper table cloths at party city, and a decorative box for cards. Also a bunch of graduate balloons ordered from dollar tree. I plan to bring lots of pictures and memorabilia to decorate. Husband bought a ton of various canned drinks and I will have bottled water. May have a 12 pack of beer.

I think Costco cakes are good.

We are having a backyard party because place around here would cost $500-$1200 to rent a hall. You got a great deal! My Mexican shredded beef will
be cooked in two electric roasting ovens . The guest are close family usually 40-50 show up to her bdays. This time she decided to invite friends so I'm guessing 20 out of the 40 will show up. This will be the biggest party we've hosted. Wish me luck!

Good to know Costco does school grad colors. Grad hats sounds yummy. Did you use the mini or regular cups? I like the guest book idea where people can write messages. I thought about doing a message jar type thing where people gave leave positive sayings, messages, funny stuff so when she's in her dorm and feels down or homesick she can pullout a message :)

We are having a backyard party because place around here would cost $500-$1200 to rent a hall. You got a great deal! My Mexican shredded beef will
be cooked in two electric roasting ovens . The guest are close family usually 40-50 show up to her bdays. This time she decided to invite friends so I'm guessing 20 out of the 40 will show up. This will be the biggest party we've hosted. Wish me luck!

I'm sure it will be great! We haven't had anything this big in a while either. I'm excited but nervous too!

The party is on Friday evening, since that was all that was available at this place. Lots of places were booked and the ones that weren't ran $300+. One required that we use their drinks and I assume we would have had to pay a bar tender, but I'm not sure because I nixed that one. The other was at the university where my husband works. They have a nice game room, but you have to use their caterers and you don't get to keep the leftovers. Plus we would have had to buy $5 parking vouchers, having no idea how many we would need. Seriously, the parking garage is usually open in June on weekends because there's not much going on and they just leave the arm up, but they couldn't promise that would be the case. Our county park also charges to park even if you pay for their shelter. We have a very big yard but weather is iffy around here, and with my luck it would rain all day. Our house isn't very big.

We just had my daughters grad party. I ended up having to throw it in our backyard because the halls around here were so expensive. For food I did pulled pork and pulled chicken and also sausage and peppers (which were cheap because I got the sausage on sale) fruit salad and a tray of graduation shaped cookies. I also had my mom and mother in law each offer to each bring a side dish so they added potato salad and pasta salad. Guest count was about 65-70 including kids and food ended up costing me about 300$ including cake and we had leftovers of most dishes. I bought the cake at Sam's and it was delicious. They will also do your school colors. My friend had bought my daughter the Dr. Seuss book "the places you will go" and I put that on a table for everyone to write a note to her in. It actually was perfect! We rented tables and chairs which was 115$. Alcohol was the most expensive purchase but my family likes their alcohol. Congratulations to your daughter!

Our backyard party will be around 5:30- midnight. I want to add a lot of candles. DD has a strobe light she plans on using.

I paid $90 for meat at our last party for 50 people. It wasn't on sale so this time I have time to look for sales and I need double the meat . I'm hoping to get it for under $150. I will definitely use the American express $100 card on the meat.

I love the idea Of the Dr. Seuss book. I know that's a popular book for graduates.

I'll have to drive out to Costco and Sam's and see what designs we like. Did you get a 1/2 sheet or full sheet? How much $$

Congrats to your daughter too!

Instead of a book, the wedding I just went to had a large picture frame with the mat boards that would cover the picture set up and guests signed that mat board in different marker colors, so when the wedding pic went in, they could hang it and see all the well-wishes...you could do that for a potential diploma or her grad shot...

We're going the backyard party route also. It's the evening of graduation to get it over with at once.

Dinner is burgers and hot dogs on the grill. If we can find some smoked sausage on sale, we'll do that too.
Burgers at GFS were $43 for 60. Oscar Meyer hot dogs have been .99 at Kroger for awhile. We bought 10 bags of chips, a 5 lb tub of macaroni and 5 lbs of potato salad. 125 invited, we expect 75 to stop in at one time or another.

Cake is a mix of cupcakes and a sheet cake from Meijer. Prices weren't too bad. Had to have whipped icing, that left Kroger out. Last cake from Wal Mart was stale, they weren't an option.

Drinks will be a mix of bottled water($2/case) and soda from the CVS deal last week. No alcohol, but may need some once everyone leaves and this is over with.....

Total will be around $300.

Just popping in to say I've had 2 grad parties and opted for cupcakes instead of a cake. Got them at Sam's. I love the cupcakes because you set them out and people take when they want. We've found when you do a sheet cake the people who come and leave early don't get cake because you haven't cut it yet and by the time you remember to cut the cake it's late and a lot of guests have left and you have all this cake left over. Anyway that's my 2 cents. I've got one more grad party to host in 2 years, then I'm done, yay!!

We just did my DSs college open house last weekend. We had about 40 people and were able to have it in a local party room. I am not sure of the cost because DS and DDIL paid for the room.

Back story: DS and DDIL were planning the party and were going to do it themselves, but DDIL became ill, so I stepped in the week before. I am limited in what I could do because I am in a wheelchair and just had DH to help me.

We had a large relish tray with dip, potato chips, hot dogs grilled in crock-pot, pulled pork in crock-pot, meatballs in crock-pot, baked beans in crock-pot. Buns and condiments with soda and water. 2 friends baked cookies and cupcakes instead of a cake. I was a little afraid because we had to start the food before we left and let it cook during the ceremony so everything would be ready when we came back. We came back and everything was fine. We did the meal for under $100 since we did all the food ourselves.

We just had plates, napkins and tableclothes in his school colors.

My favorite thing was I googled banners and bought 2 banners on-line to hang for $22 which included postage. They were really nice I will would order again.

Go with Costco for the cake. We had my nieces graduation party last weekend. They do a sheet cake for 18.99 in school colors and s mousse filling. We had ordered from publix and it was over 50.00. Then we went to Costco and saw that deal so we cancelled publix and went with them. It was really good.

I love seeing all of these ideas! My youngest two will graduate in '18 then '19 so watching for ideas. We did the backyard for our first one and plan to do the same for the others. Our rain plan will be the garage, which needs to get cleaned out before next year.

The grad cups use the mini cups turned upside down. I love the cupcake idea for grab and go. We tried to keep to easy to eat foods. We ordered Walmart chicken tender trays that were good and reasonably priced. The rest of the food came from Costco.

Oriental Trading has cheap decorations and paper products in school colors. Watch for sales and free shipping. I still have a few of the decorations from DD#1 to reuse.

For DDs grad party several years ago, we did not spend much on decorations, because-I opted to spend the money elsewhere!

To add to the festive nature of the party, we hung up he medals she won from various competitions. She had purchased a pennant from the college she was going to go to, and we put out some of the homework projects that we had saved throughout the years! Plus, we had all her school pictures since kindergarten. Having hig school tshirts out would have been fun too, we just didn't have a way to hang them.

My best-piece of advice...get your ice early the day of your party!

For DDs grad party several years ago, we did not spend much on decorations, because-I opted to spend the money elsewhere!

To add to the festive nature of the party, we hung up he medals she won from various competitions. She had purchased a pennant from the college she was going to go to, and we put out some of the homework projects that we had saved throughout the years! Plus, we had all her school pictures since kindergarten. Having hig school tshirts out would have been fun too, we just didn't have a way to hang them.

My best-piece of advice...get your ice early the day of your party!
Lucky for us the hall has a nice big ice machine that we are told we are welcome to use. One less thing to worry about

My son graduates next year and I don't have the patience to cook or decorate. With both families it comes to 150 people easily.

We will be renting a hall. I'm divorced so we want neutral ground for the party. Hoping to get a discount at a VFW since XH is a veteran. They include soft drinks and ice.

I'll probably hire a decorator to do nice table cloths and decorate the cake table. Maybe do ceiling drapes over the dance floor.

Hire a DJ and a photo booth. My coworkers husband runs this business so I can get a good deal. He also does special lighting for the dance floor.

Have it catered from a Puerto Rican/Dominican place. I'll have them do the rice and meat (pork and chicken) and ask my mom and aunts to do the sides.

We will buy liquor ourselves.

My son hasn't had a big party since he was about 10 for his bday. So this is going to be a pretty big party.

Oldest graduated HS last year. She wanted her future college colors, not HS. We ordered two cakes from Costco--one chocolate, one vanilla. We had leftover cake, but it freezes well. I lined a Rubbermaid container with plastic wrap, put a big piece of cake (several actual servings) to fill the container and wrapped it in the plastic, then sealed the container and froze it.

We had buns (from Costco), deli trays (ham, turkey, and cheese), pasta salad, chips, fresh fruit, veggie trays (Costco), and--the hit of the party--Chick-fil-A nuggets. I bought the chilled tray and cooked about 3 dozen at a time, as they taste better fresh from the oven. As soon as I put them out, they were gone!

We didn't serve alcohol, but had two liters of soda, lemonade, and iced tea.

Next DD graduates next year and I plan to have a similar menu, but I will buy more Chick-fil-A nuggets!

We planned to have our party outside, but it was VERY warm and humid, so brought it in our home instead. We bought two 6-ft folding tables from Target for maybe $20 each that held the food and then one was available for eating. People came and went over about 4 hours.

Congratulations!

My son graduates next year and I don't have the patience to cook or decorate. With both families it comes to 150 people easily.

We will be renting a hall. I'm divorced so we want neutral ground for the party. Hoping to get a discount at a VFW since XH is a veteran. They include soft drinks and ice.

I'll probably hire a decorator to do nice table cloths and decorate the cake table. Maybe do ceiling drapes over the dance floor.

Hire a DJ and a photo booth. My coworkers husband runs this business so I can get a good deal. He also does special lighting for the dance floor.

Have it catered from a Puerto Rican/Dominican place. I'll have them do the rice and meat (pork and chicken) and ask my mom and aunts to do the sides.

We will buy liquor ourselves.

My son hasn't had a big party since he was about 10 for his bday. So this is going to be a pretty big party.
sounds fun!
Oldest graduated HS last year. She wanted her future college colors, not HS. We ordered two cakes from Costco--one chocolate, one vanilla. We had leftover cake, but it freezes well. I lined a Rubbermaid container with plastic wrap, put a big piece of cake (several actual servings) to fill the container and wrapped it in the plastic, then sealed the container and froze it.

We had buns (from Costco), deli trays (ham, turkey, and cheese), pasta salad, chips, fresh fruit, veggie trays (Costco), and--the hit of the party--Chick-fil-A nuggets. I bought the chilled tray and cooked about 3 dozen at a time, as they taste better fresh from the oven. As soon as I put them out, they were gone!

Next DD graduates next year and I plan to have a similar menu, but I will buy more Chick-fil-A nuggets!

We planned to have our party outside, but it was VERY warm and humid, so brought it in our home instead. We bought two 6-ft folding tables from Target for maybe $20 each that held the food and then one was available for eating. People came and went over about 4 hours.

Congratulations!
I like the two cake idea. I'll have to figure out how many one cake serves. I hope the weather is nice because all those people wont fit inside-lol! We have 4 6ft tables that we will use for food, drinks, cake/gifts. I think we rent the round tables for our party so we have enough room.

anyone know how many cupcakes come in a Costco/sam pack and how $$?

Congratulations!

I like the chic fil a idea. It's always a huge hit at parties!

When we got to my sister-in-law, she does the chic-fil-a nuggets and the fruit salad - huge hits! I'd make the fruit salad myself to save money, but having those nuggets as the star with a fruit salad, cole slaw, and biscuits also makes for a great party:)...she finishes with a homemade cookie cake - those are also an awesome change of pace for parties (and groupons tend to be around for the store ones)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter