Let's talk feet!

TheGoofster

Old Foggie
Our last trip was a few years ago, and even though we had an incredibly great time, I do remember having a lot of foot problems (mostly of the blister type).

I know I've seen quite a few different suggestions and ideas about how to avoid these problems, but I don't exactly remember what or where they are.

So I thought it might be helpful to have all the great foot solution ideas under one thread. So if you have a good idea on how to avoid getting blisters, good inserts, what the best kind of shoes / and or socks to use are, exercise routines before you get there, band aides, sprays, moisture absorbers or any other useful suggestion that could help us avoid getting sore feet while on our next trip, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

if you can break a pair in before you go that's helpful. my mum sometimes puts Vasoline where she thinks she will get blistered, also i've heard Crocs are very comfortable.
good luck and hope i was of help.

Never wear new shoes.... My DH brought a brand new pair of sneakers with him that he never wore before. I warned him but it fell on deaf ears. Needless to say, he did not have happy feet.

I wear very comfy broken-in shoes. Also, bring more than one pair.
BodyGlide works great to prevent blisters. Have heard that deodorant also works, but I haven't tried it.
If visiting in hot weather (I know, when is it not hot?) wear athletic socks with coolmax or something like that for cushioning and moisture wicking.
Use peppermint foot lotion at night to relieve them. I like Aveda's Foot Therapy.

After reading many posts on here about Teva's, I ordered a pair of Teva Mush sandals. I have to say - I LOVE them!! Two days after I got them, I ordered 2 more pairs. I am now all set for 9 days of walking!! :thumbsup2

Crocs...get a pair and take them along just in case! My dh swore he would not wear them and is now a convert!

You can get free band-aids at all of the first aid stations in the parks. If I guess wrongly about which pair of shoes will not give me blisters, I go to First Aid and get band-aids to put on the spot where I feel a blister forming.

Body Glide!!! It works on feet, heels, thighs it is a MUST pack for my family.

Just make sure everyone has their own stick! I bring two for me...one for my feet and one for the rest of my body. Just apply it to anywhere you would normally see blisters/irritation on the feet...the pad, ankle, small toe, large toe, and also on the top of the foot where a flip or sandal might rub!

Body Glide works great. Also, Band-Aid has a similar product that prevents blisters on the feet. The socks with coolmax is a great suggestion and I also have found that thinner socks work better for me.

I haven't had a blister at WDW since I started wearing Crocs and Teva Mush flip flops. My sister used to have horrible blister problems (between her toes) and she has had zero problems since switching to Crocs.

I say bring a few pair of nice broken in shoes. Rotate them during the week. Also if any spots on your feet get sore, use moleskin. It's great. Everybody's feet are different so I wouldn't recommend a specific shoe. Have fun!

Another great product for "hot spots" where blisters are forming or for
already developed blisters is a product called "mole skin". I believe Dr. Scholl's makes it. It is adhesive on one side and you cut it with scissors to
fit the area that needs to be covered (toe, bottom of foot, heel, etc.). It really reduces friction of the area it is covering. I used a whole box for my family last time we were there! Good luck!:yay:

I have terrible feet issues to but I learned my trick years ago on how to do any vacation, including a week full bore at Disney.

You must have a broken in (not old) pair of running shoes, a pair of brand new crocs (wear around the house for a week to form to foot, but they must be new not broken in) and moisture resistant socks (for runners).

I start my day in the running shoes, then mid/late day switch to the crocs. As your feet swell during the day (everyone's feet do this), the running shoe starts to constrict and you can get blisters, so switching into the crocs provide the support with letting your feet naturally expand.

Other wonderful things I do that keep my feet happy during a WDW stay, is to ice them every night along with a mini spa treatment. (wash the dirt and sweat away and lotion heavily).

It does help to have a wonderful DH to rub them down each night.

This routine works for me, never have had blisters, raw spots or calluses at the end. Yes my feet still hurt but tylenol works to ease that.

Good luck, I hope you find a routine that helps you.

Agree with switching off shoes on different days or even morning to evening.

We also try to get some walking in before we go, getting our feet ready the couple of weekends ahead of the trip. This has worked very well particularly compared with those times (in winter for example) when our feet are entirely unready, and unhappy, about the shock of several miles of hot walking on soft and lazy feet. Training for Disney walking helps with all leg muscles too!

Thing that I have found to work best is to change shoes about half way through the day. Example, tennis shoes in the morning, crocs at night. Makes a huge difference.

When you guys say Crocs, is it just the duck feet ones or would any of them be good? I ask because I have Croc sandals and mary janes. Thanks!

BlisterShield, if you wear socks. Its a powder you put in your socks. When the DW trained for the Susan G komen's 3 day walk, they used that. Rarely did she get a hotspot.

When you guys say Crocs, is it just the duck feet ones or would any of them be good? I ask because I have Croc sandals and mary janes. Thanks!

All I've ever used are the "duck feet ones" can't attest the success or failure of the others...sorry.

Ask 10 different people, you'll probably get 10 different answers. Here's my take:

I have been wearing Crocs to the parks since 2004. I have worn at least 8 different styles at various times. The most comfortable for me are the classic Beach or Cayman styles (the original clog styles). They both have lots of cushioning in the sole and heel, are ventilated to keep feet cool, and have the strap that can be worn on the heel or flipped up. In cold weather, the Mammoth style is great, too.

Second in comfort and ventilation are the flip flop (and slipon sandal) styles. I prefer Capri to Athens because the toe peg is narrower and more comfy on the Capri. I also like Cleo- cool and no between the toe thingy.

Mary Janes are OK, but there is noticeably less cushioning in the sole- after 6 hours or so, you can really "feel" the pavement under your feet. They are cute, and keep your feet cool, but aren't the best for all day/all night touring.

Last, IMO, are the "cute, girly" styles like Prima, Alice, and Malindi. They are cute, but they also don't have much cushioning. They are made much narrower than other styles, so they can rub and cause blisters. They also don't have much ventilation at all, so you can end up slipping around in them because of sweaty feet.

I have Crocs heels, but never even attempted to wear them at the parks- I think they would be a big NO, unless you are really used to wearing heels...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter