Let's talk Christmas & baking cookies!!

I made a bunch this year -- it's the first time in about 10 years I've done cookie baking. I've given to 4 neighbors, 2 staff, 2 friends, mailed/given to 5 family members.

Peanut butter blossoms (chocolate kiss)
Triple chocolate chip (with Mrs. Field's recipe base)
Oatmeal raisin
White chocolate cranberry
Pfeffernusse
Triple ginger
Butter cookies (well, it was spritz dough and it didn't like being frozen, so I rolled and cut them)
Austrian jam
Pecan crescents
Snickerdoodles
Gingerbread

First year making gingerbread cookies that got decorated. Normally, when the kids were growing up, I'd have them press the dough on cookie sheets and decorate with M&Ms. Not nearly as talented as @nene0182, though! I like having bagged gingerbread to give out -- it's happy!

Usually I make a variety starting in November, but I'm only making Coal this year (no bake) and fudge, if that counts.

Reactions: NAB
Between my Mom and I we usually supply the family with cookies.
At a minimum we do:
1. Sugar cookies- cut out and decorated (my 7 year old and my 17 year old niece fight over who is decorating!).
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies
3. One batch of chocolate chips without the chocolate chips because my nephew likes them that way.
4. Chocolate, chocolate chips
5. Oatmeal
6. Peanut Butter
7. Snickerdoodles.

I've been swamped at work and apparently my Mom is bored because she has made almost all of the cookies this year except for oatmeal and peanut butter; which I did. I'm not complaining! I will probably make another batch of chocolate chip by Christmas Eve.

My sister usually does the baking, but she didn’t have time this year. I had time, but no money since I am unemployed and baking on the scale she does is expensive. If we lived closer, we might have worked out a deal where she bought the ingredients and I did the baking, but we don’t. Maybe next year . . .

Reactions: NAB
My sister usually does the baking, but she didn’t have time this year. I had time, but no money since I am unemployed and baking on the scale she does is expensive. If we lived closer, we might have worked out a deal where she bought the ingredients and I did the baking, but we don’t. Maybe next year . . .
Yes the ingredients are very expensive. Usually cut out cookies with candy . Those kisses get expensive for sure.

I used to make 2 or 3 different cookies and usually rice pudding, banana nut bread and pistachio cake. We'd never eat it all and I would end up throwing too much away. I've cut way back. Just chocolate chip cookies for Christmas and probably homemade cream puffs for New Years.

Just chocolate chips here too. Then a cinnamon coffee cake for Christmas breakfast. Its just my DH & me at home, we don’t need to be tempted. My grown kids will be here for Christmas dinner but they don’t eat a lot of baked goods.

What cookies do you bake? What are your favorites to eat? Any traditions or cookie parties you attend?

My sons adore my cookies so even now that they are grown and have moved out, I still make several batches of cookies to give them every year. I make soft Ginger cookies, mexican wedding cakes, tollhouse, peanut butter dipped in milk choc, oatmeal raisin, decorated sugar cookies, and fudge which is not a cookie but still a favorite.

This is such a fun thread, thanks OP:)
I wonder if anyone else has run into the problems I had with my son's requested Turtle Cookies? He always requests them for his birthday on Dec. 21st.
So I made them but they didn't seem "right". They were pretty crumbly but I went ahead and baked them. FYI: With turtle cookies, you mold the dough into shell shapes and place these, after dipping in egg whites, onto pecans representing the head and legs. Then when they have cooled you make a thin frosting and pour it over the cookies to be the "shell".
When I got them out of the oven, they fell apart!!! I have NEVER had that happen in all the years I have made them. It was weird, and I felt like a failure for some reason. I check and recheck at least 3 times the ingredients and amounts each time I bake (I"m an RN and it comes naturally, lol). I just couldnt figure it out.
Then a friend told me she is on a baking site and Alot of people are claiming that their holiday baking is not coming out like it should. There seems to be something wrong with their bakes that require Flour
I had bought off brand flour because it was on sale, and I used it in my cookies. It was also presifted which I never do.
Long story short: I rebaked his cookies last night and they were perfect! I bought Dakota Maid all purpose flour, which is what I use, and it made all the difference, My son was so happy to get his turtle cookies, even though late:)

So, I am wondering if anyone else is having problems? The friend said that many people found out that some companies are substituting items in their products to try and save money. this makes sense to me because there is alot of talk about disney doing this to save money. So I am so glad it wasn't ME, but the product.

Two examples of my sorry efforts at sugar cookie decorating. But they do taste good.

View attachment 632553

I didn’t have a piping bag or tips. Homemade icing applied with a small paint brush and toothpicks.

I do have some better ones that I’m saving for Christmas itself to show family. These rejects are for my own enjoyment.

Ha! At first glance I thought the plate was a giant cookie and was going to award you a gold star!

My family only wants one type of cookie each year: my famous frosted sugar cookies! I have perfected the recipe and technique over the years. My secret is to add more vanilla than the recipe calls for. After that, add more vanilla. When you think you've added too much, add a bit more.

My family only wants one type of cookie each year: my famous frosted sugar cookies! I have perfected the recipe and technique over the years. My secret is to add more vanilla than the recipe calls for. After that, add more vanilla. When you think you've added too much, add a bit more.

I wish I could be deviate from recipes to add my own flare - I’m so regimented - Must. Follow. The. Recipe - 😬 LOL!
My grandma threw in a little of this and a little of that and everything was always awesome. And then there’s me……look at the recipe add the ingredient, look at the recipe add the ingredient. I do consider myself a little OCD and it shows when I cook or bake 😬 LOL!
Ugghhhh….my New Years resolution should be to start having more fun in the kitchen and being more inventive with recipes. Some people make a resolution to lose weight and mine will not - if I experiment with food then I have to try it - right?!
Ok….on with the regularly scheduled program with this thread - LOL!

Just put the Pfeffernusse in the oven - didn't measure the molasses and subbed vanilla for the anise (and used vegan butter and shortening mix for the dairy), but dang, this homemade recipe is like the anti-ginger gingerbread.

I thought I was going to be the only one to mention Pfeffernusse! I just got my great-grandmother's cookbooks and recipes from my great-aunt, who at 88 is giving up baking. I guess I'm the Keeper of the Recipe Flame now. I remember these cookies from when I was a kid, but haven't had them in decades. I remember they packed a powerful spice punch. This is the recipe from 1916, fiddled with a bit by me. I'm baking them tomorrow:

Pfeffernusse- (Pepper Nuts)
----------------------------------

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lard (I'm planning to use vegetable shortening when I make these)
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs
4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon each: cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, anise (I'm using extract), cinnamon, black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar for dusting

1) Stir together molasses, lard, honey and margarine in a pot over medium heat and cook while stirring until creamy. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the eggs.

2) Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly combine. Add to this the molasses mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate all day.

3) Turn the oven to 325 degrees (this is 165C). Roll the dough into acorn sized balls. Arrange on sheets 1 inch apart.

4) Bake in hot oven 10-15 minutes. Move to a rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar.

I thought I was going to be the only one to mention Pfeffernusse! I just got my great-grandmother's cookbooks and recipes from my great-aunt, who at 88 is giving up baking. I guess I'm the Keeper of the Recipe Flame now. I remember these cookies from when I was a kid, but haven't had them in decades. I remember they packed a powerful spice punch. This is the recipe from 1916, fiddled with a bit by me. I'm baking them tomorrow:

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs
4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon each: cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, anise (I'm using extract), cinnamon, black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

1) Stir together molasses, lard, honey and margarine in a pot over medium heat and cook while stirring until creamy. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the eggs.

2) Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly combine. Add to this the molasses mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate all day.

3) Turn the oven to 325 degrees (this is 165C). Roll the dough into acorn sized balls. Arrange on sheets 1 inch apart.

4) Bake in hot oven 10-15 minutes. Move to a rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar.
My better half has to suffer with Pfefferneuse from Aldi's. His maternal grandparents were German, and he really appreciates all the Aldi's German specialties this time of year. I don't make German cookies--I'm Italian. And my Italian grandmother didn't make cookies--maybe biscotti, but I never cared for biscotti. I make plenty of American type cookies, though, DH isn't suffering. Don't believe his line of bull!

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs
4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

This recipe sounds so good and is so much more work than the one I stole from the internet (which uses no ginger - thus, I term it the anti-ginger gingerbread:))...no cooking in pots in my recipe - just dump, stir, and drop (and then roll in powdered sugar afterwards) - https://www.ifyougiveablondeakitchen.com/pfeffernusse-cookies/ PS - vanilla is perfect, so no need to buy anise if you don't have it...

Ah you are making me hungry. Can you please share the recipe for your soft ginger and tollhouse cookies?

We make a jam sandwiched cookie that has been prepared with boiled egg yolks so the shortbread is very decadent

Big Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
sugar for rolling

Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, & cloves; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 1 c sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg & molasses and beat well. Stir dry ingredients into beaten mixture.

Shape into 1 1/2" balls and roll in sugar. Place about 2 1/2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or till light brown and still puffed. Let stand 2 minutes on sheet before transferring to rack to cool. Make 24 large cookies.

These cookies won the Christmas cookie contest in my office for 6 years in a row (before Covid hit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter