Let's Talk Cameras!! I need a new one soon

JeRmS

Mouseketeer
First let me say, I would LOOOOVE to go out and spend $500-$1000 on a nice DSLR and eventually I might, BUT I also would never think of taking that type of Camera to MK or any of the other parks anyway so this topic is geared towards your thoughts on Point & Shoot type cameras.

So I'm looking for a new camera, Point & Shoot and really don't want to spend more than $300 at this time. I would like something compact but not so compact as to sacrifice quality. I would like a larger view screen on the back and a decent battery life!

While I'm not a "expert" photographer by any means I do like to play around with settings and such if I have time so having that ability is also a plus ... but I would definitely want a great "Auto" option as well.

I have kids and they don't always want to sit around while daddy tries to adjust the ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed etc ... :confused3 not sure why though!!! :lmao:

So .. what do you have? what do you use and do you like it?

If you have any example photos to post, let's see them!!

Not sure what it's selling for now. When I bought it (4/11), it was $299. Looked it up a short time later it was $450. Sony DSC-HX7V.

Can be used manual - I don't ever take it off its 2 smart modes. 1 for burst, 1 not. Also has video and can take 7 pictures while taking video.

One of my favorite things at Disney is the fireworks, so have included a fireworks photo (not from Disney because I didn't own this during our last Disney trip).

LOVE the burst mode during my daughters' dance performances. Get GREAT pictures!

20110704_0377-fireworks.jpg

The Canon S90,S95,S100 (3 model years, same basic idea) are generally thought of as the higher end of the point and shoot cameras, they have image quality along the lines of a low end SLR but are less expensive. The big thing you lose going to a point and shoot is that the smaller sensors just can not perform anywhere near as well in low light situations (obviously ignoring the more obvious shortcomings of not having interchangeable lenses and such). The retail on those is a little higher than you stated you wanted to spend, but if you can find a good deal maybe you can snag one.

I love every canon camera I have ever owned. Currently I have a t2i that is a small, lightweight dSLR.

I am considering one of the Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras but I think I will just wait until canon comes out with something better

Love my Canon X230. So much that when I dropped it and it broke, I got another one instead of choosing another Canon.

No zoom - daylight
IMG_2974.jpg

used zoom - daylight
IMG_2977.jpg

Nighttime - zoomed
IMG_2849.jpg

Nighttime - taken while walking a path so it's a little blurry - I should have quit walking. LOL when the Magic, Memories and You was going on
IMG_2863.jpg

Nighttime - used zoom.
IMG_2081.jpg

I just bought a Nikon S9300 and so far I love it. I also have a Canon Powershot and the Nikon will now be my vacation camera of choice. Easy to use, small, 18x zoom, and so far the pictures are great.

The Canon S90,S95,S100 (3 model years, same basic idea) are generally thought of as the higher end of the point and shoot cameras, they have image quality along the lines of a low end SLR but are less expensive. The big thing you lose going to a point and shoot is that the smaller sensors just can not perform anywhere near as well in low light situations (obviously ignoring the more obvious shortcomings of not having interchangeable lenses and such). The retail on those is a little higher than you stated you wanted to spend, but if you can find a good deal maybe you can snag one.

I use an S90 and I absolutely love it. It has everything from full auto mode to full manual and everything in between. I've gotten some really great low-light photos with the pocket-tripod that I carry with me, the lowest ISO setting and longer shutter times.

These models may be a little more than you were looking to spend, the S90 was out of my budget too. In my opinion the S90 was well worth the extra money. If you look at the trip report in my signature there are a ton of photos that I took with the S90, many from early morning with very low light. Here's one example (Click the image for the Full Resolution jpg):

Very nice Pic guitarob ...

Thanks for all the opinions everyone, I actually went to Best Buy this past sunday and "tried on" a few different camera's in my price range ... I went in 90% sure I was going to buy the Canon SX260 HS, but after holding it and playing with it for a bit I didn't like the way it felt in my hand ... so I tested a few others and then decided on buying the Nikon L810.
It's definitely not as snazzy as some of the others I was looking at but I like the way it fits my hand, I like the zoom range and I like the price ($199) vs. the others I was looking at.

Here is two shots I took with the L810 -

Macro shot of a Rose outside in high light
Flowers014.jpg

and a "low light" shot of my dog from about 20 feet away ...
Flowers013.jpg

I love my Canon PowerShot Elph 300hs. It is very compact but takes great pictures. There's an auto mode plus a dozen or so special modes like fish-eye, best image selection, etc. It's less than $200.

do you know the price ranges of these cameras now ??

do you know the price ranges of these cameras now ??

Amazon and Best Buy have the newest (S100) for $374

It looks like the old models are holding their value pretty well as I can't find them for lower than the new model. It looks like around christmas time last year the S95 could be had for <$300 though.

I just bought a nice fuji on sale from target. It was normally $400, but I got it for $250 and it included a mini tripod, a memory card, and a case. It is fancier than I can use, but I am learning. It does awesome panorama shots. It is a little heavier than I am used to, but worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter