Let's Talk about Kali

You might get wet on Kali but not nearly as soaked as you'll get at Islands of Adventure. Dripping wet on Jurassic Park in October. I don't go on the Dudley DoRight or the Popeye water ride anymore and won't unless I'm staying on property over there.

We've never ridden Kali as I'm not a huge fan of wet. However, we are adding Islands of Adventure at the dark side and I don't want to miss out on all of the rides.

We have nice ponchos, plastic bag for the back pack and a safety plan for the camera.

Is it time to take the plunge? Weather next week looks to be mid-70s and sunny. Any tips?

First, a quick note. There is a place covered with heavy plastic that closes for you to put your stuff in. So if you put it in a bag as well, your stuff will stay nice and dry!

As for people, I get soaked. Every. Time. No matter where I sit. I have had to leave the park because I was so soaked it was uncomfortable. I try to do this ride at the end of the day so that I can leave if I want to. However not everyone gets this wet. I suggest wearing a poncho and having something on your seat because the water will go down your back and you will be sitting in a puddle. Sorry to be a downer! I love this ride, it is so much fun, but I always get soaked.

There is a place covered with heavy plastic that closes for you to put your stuff in. So if you put it in a bag as well, your stuff will stay nice and dry!

I would not use the phrase, "nice and dry!" in connection with that leaky
"covered" section on Kali.

If you have something with you... anything... that you don't want to get wet, do not take it with you on Kali.

Use the LOCKERS-

Thursday, September 13, 2012
Lockers Now Available for Guests Riding Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Guests riding Kali River Rapids in Disney’s Animal Kingdom may now secure a locker to hold their belongings for up to two hours for free. The lockers are located near the restrooms just prior to the Kali River Rapids entrance/exit.

Ok can't resist adding my 2 cents. Even if you are lucky enough to avoid a complete soaking you will more than likely be seated in a puddle of water from the previous ride and we all know that is just fabulous.

Even if I haven't been SOAKED on Kali, I/we've ALWAYS gotten good & splashed. It doesn't compare to Splash at all, IMO.

I also agree that the water ride at IOA was even wetter - there's no way to avoid getting soaked on that no matter where you sit.

We've never ridden Kali as I'm not a huge fan of wet. However, we are adding Islands of Adventure at the dark side and I don't want to miss out on all of the rides.

We have nice ponchos, plastic bag for the back pack and a safety plan for the camera.

Is it time to take the plunge? Weather next week looks to be mid-70s and sunny. Any tips?

Wait, you do not plan to ride Kali but similar ride at Island of Adventures, right?
While those kind of rides are similar at any park, there are different levels of wetness. I found that the most wet was ride at Six Flags. I honestly do not remember how wet we were after riding Island of Adventures version, I remember it was shorter. I think you have better chances to ask on Universal board. :)

I agree!!!!! I dont ride this anymore because I cant stand to be wet like that...and I wont pack changes of clothes because its just not worth it. DD14 loves it though, so thankfully the last two trips she has had a friend to ride with her and DH doesnt have to:goodvibes

I agree that at AK it might not be worth it. On the other hand, since the OP also mentioned IOA, it's definitely worth bring a change of clothes there. I figure one morning as my wet morning. I ride Jurasic Park, Dudley Doright, and Popeye several times each then go and change clothes.

I don't understand the point of riding a water ride and wearing a poncho. It's like going to Mckey's Philharmagic with earplugs.

FlightlessDuck said:
I don't understand the point of riding a water ride and wearing a poncho. It's like going to Mckey's Philharmagic with earplugs.

I hate being soggy. I like the rest of the ride. It isn't all about being wet. Ftr, mickeys philharmagic is enjoyable to the hard of hearing. It has other interesting stuff just like Kali. :)

I always heard ponchos don't work so have never bothered

I always thought it depended on weight. The part of the raft that is the heaviest (ie grownups rather than kids) will be the part that turns backwards down the fall.

Thanks for the advice and conformation regarding the level of wet. I adore Splash but have never gotten truly soaked there. The drenched people coming off Kali have always served as a deterrent. But they do look like they are having fun!

I guess I see Kali as the test ride for IOA and the big three. I think we will schedule Kali for the last ride of our AK day. Put the stuff in a locker (great tip), lock down the ponchos, and see what happens. We'll have the car and so should have time to make it back to AoA and shower before our Boma ADR if need be.

If I hate Kali, we will skip the IOA water rides. We are staying onsite at Universal for the second part of the trip so the hotel will be close if we do ride and need to change after those rides (sure sounds likely).

Only 2 1/2 more days!!!!!

My kids have been soaked as many times as my husband and I. You can't count on that because the raft is spinning the whole time and can be caught mid spin.

Eta: lucky you getting to leave soon

Sometimes the people absolutely drenched have ridden more than once. We go slow season and are often allowed to ride multiple times. Sometimes we haven't been truly soaked until the fourth kr fifth ride!

Not really a fan of Kali. Like others have said, you either get really wet or not hardly wet.

The queue is usually pretty long and we just don't find it worth it.

First, a quick note. There is a place covered with heavy plastic that closes for you to put your stuff in. So if you put it in a bag as well, your stuff will stay nice and dry!

As for people, I get soaked. Every. Time. No matter where I sit. I have had to leave the park because I was so soaked it was uncomfortable. I try to do this ride at the end of the day so that I can leave if I want to. However not everyone gets this wet. I suggest wearing a poncho and having something on your seat because the water will go down your back and you will be sitting in a puddle. Sorry to be a downer! I love this ride, it is so much fun, but I always get soaked.

There is not always room for everyone's things. We had this issue the last time we rode it. A large family shoved all of their stuff in the bin before we got to put ours in.:worried:

Frankly, I would LOVE to do Mickey's Philharmagic with earplugs. That show is way too honkin' loud! :scared:

When I come off Kali soaking wet, it's because I've ridden it a few times in a row. I've never gotten completely soaked on one ride.

The Popeye ride at IoA on the other hand... They do not want you getting off that ride with a dry spot on you. It's such a fun ride though, so much better than Kali.

I rode Jurassic Park last night, front row, center seat, and didn't really get wet. My butt did, but most of that was because no one had ridden in the boat during the ride before I got on, so there was a a puddle of water on the seat. Weight might have had something to do with how big/small the splash was. I was the only one on the boat. Probably the only one on the whole ride at the time. The Uni parks are awesome in the hour before they close. Ghost town. Everything's a walk on. At IoA last night, I did a full circuit of the park, riding Dueling Dragons, Forbidden Journey, JP, Spidey, and Hulk from 6:00 to 7:00. 5:30 to 6:00 at the Studios was Rip Ride Rocket and Despicable Me (which sucked up most of the time with various pre-show elements). Totally suggest taking advantage of this when you're over there. One park usually closes an hour after the other, so you can close up one park and head to the next for a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter