Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

For the hotel bathroom. Small places, multiple bathroom users...believe me, you will be glad to have it. I take a Bath and Bodyworks one as they are small!!

For the hotel bathroom. Small places, multiple bathroom users...believe me, you will be glad to have it. I take a Bath and Bodyworks one as they are small!!

Grumpyvet~
Would you please elaborate on what your talking about, please?
I think I'm just not catching on because I've not heard of this before.:confused3 Sorry to be so dense. LOL

These are REALLY great tips! Keep them coming!

For those with babies and toddlers: Each park has a baby care center, USE THEM! We didn't use them until this past trip (for our 2 yr old), and it is such a nice break! Cool and A/C, plenty of space for changing diapers with large changing tables, plus a microwave to warm food and bottles. There is also a nursing moms room, plus a couple sets of child-sized tables and chairs for the kids to kick back and watch a Disney cartoon while the little one is being cared for. Really wish we had found these sooner!

Be sure to take a surge barto plug up your rechargable camera battery, cell phone, iPod, etc. We also always take a nightlight for it, too.

Take a couple of clippy clothespins with you to hold curtains shut at night, or to keep a bag of chips closed once it's been opened.

I always print up one tip envelope per day for Mousekeeping. They won't take tip money unless it's marked for them.

Since we always fly, we ship a box of snacks, ponchos, diapers, wet wipes, etc. via UPS to the hotel ahead of time and they hold it for us.

Pack one outfit per person in a different family member's suitcase. Then if someone's luggage gets lost, they'll have at least one other outfit.

Hmmm... I know I have more, but that's all I can think of right now. :)

Pack one outfit per person in a different family member's suitcase. Then if someone's luggage gets lost, they'll have at least one other outfit.

This is such a GREAT tip! I have always packed a change of clothes in my carryon, but this is brilliant! And I'm ashamed to say that it's so simple and I never thought of it myself!

Our first trip we stayed at All Star Music and rented a rollaway because the beds were just too small for 2 adults. This time we're taking an inflatable twin size mattress to save on the extra cost. You can deflate it if necessary or just leave it propped up against a wall out of the way. My daughter likes to sleep on it whenever her cousins sleep over (won't sleep in her own bed when they're here). She has scoliosis and never complains about her back bothering her at all. Just make sure to inflate it enough so it doesn't sag.

:goodvibes This is all great advice for a first timer !:goodvibes
My friend "1sttimewdwfamily5" would love this "thread".
:rotfl: Here's a shout out to her :rotfl:
(maybe, she'll read this, and actually submit her first post):lmao:

ALWAYS pack early and leave suitcases open till last minute. Don't forget to pack medicines just in case of cuts/sunburns ect...oh yeah, pack double outfits a day for kids unless you plan on doing laundry. (They will get dirty in half a day!):dance3:

Question - is it "ok" to use Disney transportation to go to other parks and hotels if you're not staying on site? I thought Disney buses and such were for on site patrons only? - This answer could help first time visitors.

My advice, go slow, take time to breathe it all in, don't skip lines, watch the ankles of those in front of you when pushing a stroller, use ziplock bags for everything and anything, I echo getting a fastpass for Soarin' ASAP because the line is insane, park food can be so expensive - Ive read great tips on here for saving money like sharing a meal at a counter service, take advantage of EMH if on site - we went to the evening EMH at MK and rode everything we could while people were watching Wishes and Spectromagic (we had park hopped to see them on a different night already.) And most definitely, get familiar with the park maps ahead of time if possible - we mark down on our maps everything that is must see and then what we want to try to fit in. It helps because then we don't feel so let down if we miss something.

If you are planning on ANY character meals you need to reserve your seats MONTHS before you go. There is a ton of magic at WDW, but without ressies you will be eating on a bench or in some other "character-less" dining establishment.

(AllEars.net)
WHERE ARE THE CHARACTERS?
Children (and adults!) love dining with the Disney characters. We highly recommend Advance Reservations for character meals to avoid disappointment. To find out where Mickey makes an appearance, and where the rest of your favorite characters are, refer to these pages:

Character Meals: http://www.allears.net/din/cb.htm
Character Dining Locations: http://www.allears.net/din/cbchar.htm

I bring a "carry-on" full of snacks with us. Everyday take a few snacks out put it in the backpack and go. By the time your trip ends your bag will be empty, which you can now fill with souviners and you will know will fit in your car on the way home!
Always leave space in your vehicle just for souvieners. Our first trip we packed the car to the gills and didn't think about extra room.
And it's little items i tend to forget, Q-tips, cotton balls, medicine...
And for women, chart your "visitor" and plan accordingly!!!

If taking a plane to WDW, don't forget to pack the following in you carry-on in cased you and your luggage are temporarily separated:

1. Complete change of clothes for everyone.

2. Medications you need daily. Don't forget to bring it in your original packaging complete with the MD order on it from the pharmacy.

3. Bathing suits. We like to take a swim at the resort, and it can take a while for Magical Express to get your luggage to your room.

4. List of your reservation number and your ADRs, Magical Express vouchers.

5. Sunglasses! :cutie:

6. Snacks of course!

7. Your park day bag as another carry-on, all packed up. Don't forget the sunscreen - but be sure you get a small sample size bottle so you don't go over the airline guidelines for liquids/gels. I find these in sports equipment stores. You can pack the big sunscreen bottle in your checked luggage. If you plan to go into the parks the day of your arrival, don't forget your autograph book and fat pen!

My most important tip for first-timers is:

Be at the park when it first opens! You can get so much more done in less time first thing in the morning. :goodvibes

Hi luvindiscruiser, I got your message, thanks for the shout out. Yeah, this is all great advice for the newbie, that I am.:thumbsup2

I definitely agree that getting acquainted with the parks before you go is one of the most vital things you can do. The Unofficial Guide or Birnbaum's Guide to Disney World are good resources that you can get to help learn the lay of the land, where all of the attractions and restaurants are. You can waste a lot of time constantly trying to orient yourself once you are there and this can cut in to how many things you are able to do, especially at peak time.

Deb's unofficial WDW site (allears.net) has pretty up to date menus posted that can help you decide what restaurants you want to eat at.

Getting there early before the crowds hit can definitely help you knock out more than you would if you arrived later.

My tip: bring some small bottles of antimicrobial hand gel with you to use after you touch things like doorknobs, handrails, etc... If someone is sick and touches stuff before you, it can get you sick and the last thing you want while your at WDW is the Flu. This happened to me one year and it wasn't fun.

We found it easiest to take gallon ziplock bags and place an entire outfit in each (underwear, socks, clothes, hair accessories, etc.). I looked a little OCD, but it saved an immeasurable amount of time and frustration. Each morning I just pulled out a baggie, and we were ready and set to go.

Adding my :thumbsup2 to this idea! We do this when we go camping also, and it's a HUGE time saver! (Plus, it avoids the "what to wear" discussions in the mornings!!)

my tip is buy the go packs for snacks .. They are located in Walmart by the cashier. They are 1$ . They have cheese nips, oreos, chips ahoy.. They are in a reuseable container. I bring them to the parks. They travel well in the plane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter