Lets get to know each other thread!

Great idea for a thread!

I am 49 years old, female, married 28 years, one ds age 27 and one dd age 25. I have a dog and a cat who are best friends! I have lived all my life in Texas which I love. My ancestors were here before the Texas revolution!

I have had a few jobs over the years when needed, but mostly I have spent the last 27 years as a stay at home mom. During that time, my friends and my social life centered around the kids, but now most of that has come to an end since the kids are now grown.

I like all kinds of music, but I guess my favorites would be the Beatles and Enya.

My favorite TV show is Northern Exposure and I have all the DVD's. Currently, I watch Men in Trees, the Food Network, and the History Channel.

I like the Star Wars movies.

Favorite color is blue.

Favorite foods are mexican food, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, popcorn, and chocolate.

I love to travel, but even more than that, I love to plan the trip!

Something personal - I wish I were an artist and had an art gallery somewhere, or maybe a writer of hot, romance novels, but alas, I have no talent for either. But I am an excellent organizer!

I'm a 27 year old wife and mother of a 7 month old DD. I work as a funeral director. My DH is a stay at home dad. My mom and I are obsessed with Disneyland. We're going on a trip next summer and think about it all the time.
I'm a family person. I like to be around people. Although I may be shy at first I open up quickly once you get to know me. I just love being a mom. I hope this thread is a success.!! :teeth:

Great thread!

I am a 50 year old SAHM. (and proud of it!)Married and have a DD who is going to be 11 in Jan.
I grew up in Vancouver, B.C. and moved to Ontario 15 years ago.
I love to scrapbook, sew, read and do lots of volunteering.
Love to watch CSI:Las Vegas and ER.
Have one really close friend who is very near and dear to me.
We have a golden retriever and 1 cat.

I'm an accountant from Barbados (yup, born and bred, at least third generation!). I have 3 kids (see siggy) and a DH of 16 years (he's also Bajan i.e. from Barbados). I went to university in New Brunswick, Canada, and got my Chartered Accountant qualification there.

I work about 35 hours a week in a VP/Accounting job - I get to work early and then leave early enough to pick my kids up from school and go home with them 4 days/week (1 day a week I don't do pick-up and I stay later at work). It works well, as I get a fair amount of family time. We also have housekeeping help, which frees up my time to be with the kids.

DH just quit his job in the field of security and banking systems. He's going to operate his own marine product and service company, probably from home initially. The company will pay him a small salary, and he's hoping for some consulting work from his old employer. Things will be a little different for a while, with the lower income coming in.

I love to do yoga and jazz dance twice a week, though I may have to curtail yoga for a while until more funds are available. DH is totally obsessed with sportfishing, and has passed on the bug to DS! I'm glad they have a father/son thing.

I love to visit the US - such diversity in people and things to do! The farthest west I've gotten is Colorado - hoping to remedy that someday. But Western US is so far for me to travel - it takes 3.5 hours just to get up to Miami, the nearest US point to us (other than Puerto Rico). I've also been to England, France, Austria, and of course Canada. I've also been to several other Caribbean islands.

I never thought I'd be one of those people who loved Disney - in fact, I used to hate the whole idea! But somehow DH and I decided to go in 1998 (no kids yet) and it was great! It helped that it was September and slow, as we're not huge crowds people. Then 2 Bajan friends and I visited our mutual friend in Orlando in 2004 (she's a transplanted Bajan :teeth: ) and did some WDW, and now I'm truly hooked! I cannot wait to take my kids and my parents next year - all newbies!!!

I just love to read and do internet research and chat. I mostly read mystery and thriller type books, but I also like a good drama that has a dash of romance, thrill, mystery etc. all rolled into one. I adore the whole Harry Potter series - read the 6 books twice and watched the 4 movies countless times! U2 is my favourite band of all time (as if you couldn't tell? ;) ). I like rock music of most kinds (except some extremely heavy metal), and some pop.

I used to have a close circle of friends, but most of them moved away to live. I'm down to 1 close friend left here. It's hard to make friends at this stage. I have plenty of what I would call aquaintances (from yoga and dance, and through my kids), but not the kind I can call anytime, make plans with on the spur of the moment, tell anything to etc. I don't have a sister, and my close cousins also moved away. My SIL lives within walking distance of us, and now has a 1 year old DS, so I'm getting closer to her than ever before due to common interests. You guys on the DIS are so easy to talk to anytime - no need to figure out when to get together like with real life friends!

What a great thread!!

I am a 31 year old female and married with 2 kids, Destiny(8), and Bobby(3). I am a SAHM and we also have a Yorkie named TOTO. I was born in Bronx, NY and currently live in Goshen, NY. I love Italian food, the color navy, and going to WDW.

I like a variety of music but really can't stand country music, or hard core rap music. Love my 80's music and am still a big U2 fan!!

I guess you can say my hobbies are moving and buying new cars!!LOL My family calls me a gypsy!! DH and I have been together almost 13 years and have lived in 6 different places(no, we are not military!) and have had a total of 15 new cars through the years. I am a power seller on Ebay, so I guess that's one of my hobbies too!

I have only one close friend(besides my DH) and recently reconnected with two childhood friends.
I have 2 sisters, one 35 and the other 14!! We have the same parents but unfortunately they divorced 3 years ago after being married for 32 years! It was for the best and they remain friends. My younger sister is like my child and is such a joy and pleasure to have in my life, we are very close.

Besides being called a gypsy, in my family I'm known as the opinionated, loud mouth, strong one who will give it to you straight and is a rebel! But I would describe myself as someone who is honest, a free spirit, opinionated, loving, and loyal wife and caring mother! I try to always have a smile on my face even when I am down.

I enjoy movies and tv. I love reality shows and am hooked on Heros!! I'm also a big Harry Potter fan and have read all the books too many times to count!

I look young for my age and while most would think that's great, it really is a disadvantage! At DD's school they always think I'm the older sister. When we bought this house when neighbors came to welcome us to the neighborhood they asked where my parents were! :rotfl2:

Something personal about myself...Well most here already know I have had 2 miscarriages and the most recent was last month at 13 weeks. Something that very few people know is my dad was a drug and alchohol addict and I had a very disfunctional childhood with lots of sad times. I fell into the disfunction and have worked really hard to clean myself up and lead a productive healthy life. I have been in counceling since my teenage years.

What a great idea for a thread! :banana:

I am 40 (on the 22nd of Dec.), married for 20 years to my wonderful DH. I have two really neat kids, a DS who is 19, and a DD who is 15. We live in Indiana where I am an assistant manager at a pet store.

I love all kinds of food, but most especially potatoes of any kind, bread, and cheeses. I also have an addiction to chocolate that I feed every single day.

I don't watch too much regular television. I like some reality shows like Amazing Race, America's Top Model, and Top Chef. I watch a lot of re-runs of classic shows on cable.

Our dream vacation is to buy an RV and just drive all over the country. There are so many places that I want to see. We also want to try to go to WDW again sometime in the next few years. We were there in 2001 (a first for me) and now I want to go again.

I drive a blue Saturn wagon, and I love it. If I could have a dream car, however, it would probably be a Volkswagen Beetle in some obnoxiously bright color.

My likes: hot tea, getting mail that isn't bills or junk, Christmas, flea markets, rummage sales, Ebay, reading a good book, jigsaw puzzles and the colors pink and purple

My dislikes: rude people who throw their cigarette butts out on the ground, hot weather, brussel sprouts, cleaning the bathroom, any show on tv that glorifies bratty teenage behavior, people who don't say please or thank you, and being bored.

Next??

Amy :crazy:

This is so much easier here than it was when I was in school!

Okay, I'm 32, but in person people think I'm 22/23 - some think I'm as young as 18 or 19. I'm in the middle of a very amicable divorce and my soon-to-be ex is my best friend. No kids, but I really hope to have a little boy someday. I plan to name him Bowie :teeth: I'm a data entry peon and hopefully, after the 1st of the year, I will find something else because I don't enjoy my job, and as many of you know I have a psycho coworker. I sort of have a cocker spaniel named Tara, but she still lives with my mother and grandmother. I really have very few friends here; most of the people I talk to regularly are online.

My #1 interest is music. Mostly 80s stuff; top bands/singers are Duran Duran, David Bowie, and The Cure. I also love Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry, The Jam/Paul Weller, The Smiths/Morrissey, The Dresden Dolls, The Cruxshadows, Nox Arcana, Green Day, Motley Crue, U2, The Police/Sting, The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Voltaire...the list could go on for days.

I also love to read - Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare, Edward Gorey, and Neil Gaiman; my favourite books The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I'm not too much into TV, but I enjoy MacGyver, The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Heroes, NCIS, Ghosthunters, Mythbusters, and Doctor Who. Movies - Casablanca, Rebel Without a Cause, Velvet Goldmine, This Is Spinal Tap, Labyrinth, and Tim Burton films, especially if Johnny Depp is involved.

My coworkers refer to me as the goth-punk-rocker chick; I'm kind of obsessed with the occult/death/black/skulls/vampires/exploring old cemeteries. I want to get a coffin for use as a coffee table and I swear that my next car will be a hearse. I'm also very into studying ancient Egypt/mummies and Renaissance art. I'm determined to someday visit Egypt and get back to England.

Disneyland1084 said:
Wow you're lucky! :teeth:

I'm sure I'll appreciate it in 10 years or so, but right now...I hate it when I get asked if my parents know that I'm not in school.

But a few weeks ago, at the grocery store, buying beer, the cashier asked me my birthdate, and I told her and offered my license. She looked at me for a few moments and said, "No, I believe you, you look thirty-ish." :eek: That was a first.

Wow! This is so much fun to read I decided to join in on the fun!

I just turned 40 in August (it snuck up on me!), but I feel like I am about 20. I have been married for 15 years to a wonderful man and we have two children. A daughter that is 10 and a son who is 7. We live in Texas, on the outskirts of Houston. I feel really lucky to have my mom and dad, sister and her family, my mother-in-law and most of my cousins all within just 10 minutes or so of us. I have always been really close to my family, and I would say my sister is definitely my best friend. Funny though, cause when we were growing up our fights were pretty hairy! Seems like it just changed overnight and we were really close.

I am a teacher in a public school in one of the largest school districts in Texas. I teach computer skills to kinder through 4th graders. Everyday is fun! I am also responsible for keeping the teachers all happy in their technological needs. That is always more difficult than dealing with the students! :rotfl: My DH owns an embroidery/monogramming business. He likes it and it gives him alot of time to be available for the kids. My schedule is very rigid and when they are in school, so am I!

I have lived my entire life in the Houston area. I also went to Texas Tech and graduated in 1988. My degree is in Zoology and I thought I wanted to be a dentist. Went to work for one just to make sure and knew it wasn't for me. Teaching is where my heart is and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

My kids keep me busy with their activities. They are both involved in showchoir and many church activities and my daughter takes dance. After Christmas, my son is going to be starting Karate. He is very excited.

My family loves to travel. We like to fly to a state that is pretty far from us and then rent a car and drive, drive, drive. I got that from my dad. He loves road trips too! There are so many wonderful places to go. Each time we take a trip, I tell my husband I have a new favorite place. I love North Carolina and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Pennsylvania really impressed me. I cried like a baby when I finally saw the Lincoln Memorial at age 35. I had done a report on Lincoln in the third grade and decided then I wanted to see it. It took me almost 30 years and it was so emotional to me! Weird, huh. I am not sure my kids enjoy the ride as much as their parents, but we try to be fair and take them to DisneyWorld atleast one time per year. We also love to go on cruises. Have been on Carnival, Princess, Royal Carribean and Disney.

My favorite past times are reading and watching TV. I wish I could say it was exercising, but not yet! I love the Stephanie Plum series of books and I just keep rereading them and still find them so funny! I love any of those CSI type television shows, and I love the Amazing Race.

Well, that's about it for now...next! :wave:

I am 31, also look young for my age, have been married for two years, although I have been with DH for almost eight years, and am a SAHM to DD Sienna who is 8 months old. I am in an interracial marriage, I am white, DH is mixed (he is called a Creole here), and never thought of it as a big issue at all, but apparently it is a big issue to some after reading these boards.

I was born in New Orleans and have lived here my entire life, except for a six week post-Katrina excursion in Houston. My house was severely damaged by the levee breach following Katrina. I bought my house in 2001 and did an extensive renovation to it because it was in very, very bad shape (blighted) and old- about 90 years old. So, after years of renovation, it was flooded by the levee breach, and I decided to renovate it once again and not tear it down. Deja vu! We moved back in 11 months after Katrina, but it is still undergoing repair. I love restoration and a challenge and often see the potential in the ugliest of things, which could be my downfall.

I have lived on my own since I was 18 and managed to get a BA in History while working full time. I had a really rough childhood. I've had many interesting jobs in the past, one of which was working in a wine and cheese dept for a natural foods grocer, so I know a lot about food. Even though I enjoy being with my baby, I do miss working and miss my old coworkers terribly- it has been quite an adjustment becoming a SAHM.

I have one cat, a parakeet, a tortoise, a leopard gecko, and two tarantulas. I used to have a cockatiel and a conure, but they were unfortunately lost in Katrina :guilty: . RIP Chester and Roscoe, you are terribly missed. DH and I love exotic pets and raise butterflies, and also enjoy gardening.

Hobbies are home renovation, finding and refinishing antiques, collecting books, reading, and cooking. I love to go on plantation and historic home tours. Oh, and I love Disney, of course!

Music is completely mixed bag for me- jazz, ragtime, jump blues, new wave, industrial, goth- anything dark, really. I'm just drawn to angsty, thought provoking music. I love the reality shows on Bravo and love watching movies, especially indie ones. I love Southern literature, Truman Capote, Anne Rice, books about New Orleans history and architecture, and basically anything atmospheric or with great character development. My favorite book is A Confederacy of Dunces.

I have a best friend who I've been friends with since freshman year Latin class in high school, and keep in touch with some other friends from high school as well.

Odd fact about me: I used to live in a haunted house. And I enjoy drinking a cocktail with my best friend on top of a raised tomb in a cemetary across the street from her house. I love cemetaries! I got married on Halloween (my favorite day of the year)- I wore a black dress. :teeth: I guess I have a dark side to me...

Personal fact: My sister committed suicide in 2005, five months before Katrina. It was a rough year.

Next!

This thread is going great....but i see lotsa folks JUST LOOKING and not posting!!! :rolleyes:

Come on FOLKS!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: Lets get to know ya!!!

:grouphug:

I'm not feeling too great because of litigation going on for my dh (I won't elaborate) so I want to thank you for starting a great thread... interesting people here and makes me think of my blessings.

I am originally from Hawaii and moved to Seattle when I was 19yo to attend college in Seattle. I attended Seattle University and the University of Washington. Lived in Kirkland for 11 years, lived in Oklahoma for 1 year, then came to Virginia. Forgot to mention that I am still in school earning my degree in business then hopefully to law school here or in WA state.

I am 39yo and I am happily married to my dh (just going thru a crisis right now). We have 5 kids. My dh is Caucasian and I am a mix of Chinese, Hawaiian, Portuguese, and Caucasian. My Chinese ancestors came from Canton, my Hawaiian ancestors include my great-great-great grandmother who signed a petition against statehood (women back then didn't get involved like that), my Portuguese ancestors came from the Madeiras on a ship whose journal was eventually translated, and my Caucasian relatives came from England and settled on Maui.

Other interesting facts: Because I grew up with different cultures in Hawaii, I am able to speak a few languages and I catch on to new languages really well. I posted it many times here... I also eat a lot of raw seafood.

I also have an identical twin sister. We are mirror twins. I am 4 minutes older.

I love history and traveling, ebaying, reading, and exercising. I especially love rainbows and beaches. Can you believe I used to ride a rainbow bike as a child? ... I also collect Hello Kitty items, bookmarks and postcards from my travels, and seashells.

Next :)

Ms Marigny said:
My favorite book is A Confederacy of Dunces.

Mine too! I once fell madly in love with a guy over the internet. He was perfect! Then, I asked him if he'd ever read A Confederacy of Dunces, and he said, "No, the whole civil war thing really bores me."

I couldn't put his butt on a plane back to Miami fast enough.

PeterPanette said:
Mine too! I once fell madly in love with a guy over the internet. He was perfect! Then, I asked him if he'd ever read A Confederacy of Dunces, and he said, "No, the whole civil war thing really bores me."

I couldn't put his butt on a plane back to Miami fast enough.
:rotfl2:
Yeah, he deserved it! :rotfl:

:wave: I'll bite. I'm 22, recent college grad (BA Smith College), currently working in Customer Service. I live with my mother, a recently retired schoolteacher, and two cats, Oscar and (Isa)belle. I have six half siblings on my father's side from a previous marriage-there's a seventeen year age gap between the next youngest and myself. I live with an hour of my three brothers and see them about once a month. I also have one DNiece, 12, and two DNephews, 7 and 10.5.
I enjoy Stephen King, and I watch Veronica Mars religiously. I also enjoy Gilmore Girls and Grey's Anatomy.

*Fantasia* aka Telly

Aries

5'1, 105 lbs. naturally tan

brown eyes, brn hair with caramel highlights,

size 1 or 2 (depends on the designer)

shoe size 6

no longer wears thongs (no granny underwears)

loves Disney

peeves: dishonest, hypocrit, anyone who thinks they know it all and think they are right about everything. anyone who thinks their opinions are the right answer. snob.

malltree007pn4.jpg

I'm a 58 year old female. I have been married twice, currently for 18 years. I have two grown children and one sibling, a brother, who is 7 years older than me.

I love cats and currently have 16 of them. I also love to take photos of the beautiful scenery here in Florida. If money was not a consideration, I'd travel more and Hawaii, the western National Parks, British Columbia and Egypt are high on my list.

Before my back gave out I was an LPN. I worked with Alzheimer patients (loved it!) and profoundly handicapped children (sad but rewarding). If I could do my career path all over again, I would have liked to have worked for the National Weather Service.

I was elected to public office (town meeting member) back in the 1980's. I was also the head of the PTA way back in the 1970's. I remember ice cream cones for 9 cents, gas when it was 15 cents a gallon and wearing leggins in the cold weather. :rotfl: I am a great aunt six times over.

My husband was a world record holder in the hammer throw back in the 1950's. He is in the Boston University sports Hall of Fame. My paternal uncles were beer brewers and one of them was the Godfather to Howard Johnson of the Howard Johnson hotels and restaurants.

Favorites:
Movie: The Godfather Part II
Song: Every Breath You Take by The Police
Holiday: The 4th of July
Color: Aqua
Book: The Stand by Stephen King
TV: Currently - Prison Break Ever - I, Claudius

Juicy tidbit? My grandmother was a 5 month baby. :blush: Apparently the father was engaged to another woman but had a fling with my great grandmother. When he got the news, he left his fiancee and married my great grandmother. The jilted fiancee committed suicide by throwing herself off the Staten Island ferry.

I could write a book about my father's side of the family. :rolleyes:

I fell in love with Disney World the first time I stepped foot on Main Street, USA. :love:

I am a 34 year old female living in Delray Beach, FL. I live with 2 Siamese cats and a Black Lab.

I enjoy reading science fiction books by a variety of different authors, although I tend to enjoy the time-travel space opera type best.

I usually don't watch any TV, but if I do, I get my political news from the Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Those are my 2 favorite TV shows.

I collect Archie comic books and am a big fan of Buzz Lightyear as you can tell by my avatar picture.

I was born in Jackson, NJ and lived there for 12 years before movin down here and loving the warm, sunny temperatures!!!!!

Next!!! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter