Let me on the ship unnoticed!

Originally posted by Rombus
Also, if you’re shy because you’re worried of what others think of you, Why not take a bow and wave if someone notices when they say your name? Remember, you’re only going to see these people for a few days! :) Good luck!

This is the thing I don't understand. If its the "norm" to have your name called out, then why would anyone think badly of you for having it done? Is the original poster worried that they will come off looking like a show off? I don't get it. Truly, the only people who will think negative thoughts about you are the ones who think negative thoughts about themselves. And really, you DON'T care what those people think about you.

This sort of reminds me of the woman who keeps posting about how HUMILIATED she was for being called up on stage by the magician. As if she were the only one EVER called up on stage before and that EVERYONE thought she was a buffoon. I guess I think that that's kind of sad. It stops you from experiencing so much enjoyment in life because you're so worried about what other people think about you. And truly, no one cares, they're all worried about what YOU think about THEM. :teeth:

When we were in WDW last time, I volunteered for everything. The first time, my kids were embarassed because I'm usually fairly quiet. But after that, they loved to see me up there, and they still pull out the videos to show friends how Mom was "on stage" in various things. It is a special memory for us, but as soon as the show was over, I'm sure nobody else remembered me. It's the little things that make a trip special.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce:

They'll remember you, but it will be only to say "Hey we saw you in the show the other night... GREAT JOB!"....

Originally posted by ma2patrick
This sort of reminds me of the woman who keeps posting about how HUMILIATED she was for being called up on stage by the magician. As if she were the only one EVER called up on stage before and that EVERYONE thought she was a buffoon. I guess I think that that's kind of sad. It stops you from experiencing so much enjoyment in life because you're so worried about what other people think about you.

You need to be inside the head of an extreme introvert like me to understand. It's not sad, it's how we're wired. I derive a lot of enjoyment from quiet downtime; being around lots of people and being the center of attention stresses me, so I can understand why the OP prefers not to be called out - though I agree with others that no one really notices.

Sam

Originally posted by Rombus
Anyone know what they do in the case of unmarried couples?

Also, if you’re shy because you’re worried of what others think of you, Why not take a bow and wave if someone notices when they say your name? Remember, you’re only going to see these people for a few days! :) Good luck!

However you wish to be addressed.

You can walk in seperately.

"Jane Jones of Podunk"

"Bill Smith of Podunk"

or you can walk in together: "Welcome Jane Jones and Bill Smith of Podunk."

I have a different last name than my family. We were just introduced as the "DHLASTNAME family of St. Paul, Minnesota" For me, my own last name isn't a huge deal, so I didn't care, and I figured if the kids caught it (they didn't) they'd think their last name was a big deal. And the two seconds they give you for your name would make both last names guarenteed to get mispronouced.

You indeed can be introduced by any name. A couple years ago, my girlfriend and I left the husbands at home with the kids and went ... as we boarded, we got a school age case of the giggles and asked to be introduced as Thelma & Louise. They had a good laugh with us! And a note of agreement for the shy people, unless you board extremely early like I tend to, the hustle & bustle will far outweight your intro. And of course, you don't have to be introduced (at any time) if you don't want to.

On our first cruise, I never even heard them say it. People were talking about it later at home, but I had no clue. On our second cruise, I did hear them say it, but it was not loud at all. I doubt you'll even notice. But even if you do, nobody is paying attention. Everyone walking onto the ship is just looking around and taking in all the sites! :sunny:

It is just one more personal touch that DCL incorporates....it really is no big deal if you don't want it done.

Gosh, I remember threads where people were so disappointed that they came later in the day and did not have their names announced....they felt they were cheated out of an important part of the cruise....

Different strokes......

MJ

Hello all,

On our first cruise, we had no idea about the picture and announcement as we walked in. I was laden with all of our carry-on stuff, and the picture showed me sweating profusely and beet red from standing in line for so long lugging about 100 lbs of stuff!!!

In regards to the name announcement, it reminds me of what we used to do at Universal on the ET ride. We would give names to the worker at the beginning of the ride, such as Homer, Marge, Lisa & Bart, , or some other TV family name, and when ET calls out your name at the end, we would be greeted by those names. The names didn't always register with the computer though, but it was fun to see the reactions of others.

Take care,

Bill ( or maybe George & Laura Bush on our upcoming trip)

Its fun for the kids (and Mom and Dad) to hear there name. Also, they love it when CM clap for them.:teeth:
I love the fake name tvguy!!!!!:hyper:

I think the funniest announcement had to be on our 9/9 hurricane cruise, which boarded in Fort Lauderdale. There was no gangplank, so you walked outside and boarded on deck one. It was funny to be announced by CMs standing the in the hallway outside of the Medical Center!
Barb

Originally posted by TDC Nala
It seemed odd because I'm not a family. I travel alone. "The (blank) Family" seemed odd when it was just me.

Next time I'm going to give them the name of a character from the Adventurers Club or something.

How about "Introducing Jane Doe, and she's available"????

Originally posted by smchan
You need to be inside the head of an extreme introvert like me to understand. It's not sad, it's how we're wired. I derive a lot of enjoyment from quiet downtime; being around lots of people and being the center of attention stresses me, so I can understand why the OP prefers not to be called out - though I agree with others that no one really notices.

Sam

Gosh, I didn't mean to imply this in a negative way. I just meant that the self-induced stress made me sad, not the act of wanting to be low-key.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter