Let me on the ship unnoticed!

Pidge

Mouseketeer
Are there any other shy folks out there who would just rather get on the ship without the fanfare of having your name announced and the clapping? :sad2:

We have been on 2 Disney Cruises and never had that happen to us. Im curious to see if they will do it when we sail in August. :D

The ywon't announce you if you ask them not too. I boarded that way once and it was fine.

You're not exactly in the spotlight. On our 2 cruises there was a lot going on as we boarded. We could definately hear our name (we were listening for it) but it wasn't like the whole ship stopped to notice...lol. If you are boarding at a slower time, I'm sure you could ask them to not announce your name.

Jess

We are pretty shy, too, and thought we would be mortified with the announcement, but we (and everyone else) barely noticed the announcement. We were to anxious and excited about finally setting foot on the ship.

The ask your name as you walk up, then the guy makes the announcement. If you want, just say "no thanks" when he asks your name.

After we had our picture taken, all 9 of us, we wandered in, a few at a time. They had to say "Welcome The Henry Family" like 3 or four times. We thought it was hilarious, but no one else noticed. They were too busy trying to figure out where they were going!

I enjoyed it and can't wait to hear it again. It means I'm finally there!!

There are two rows of people boarding the ship from two side by side doors at the same time so there are two CM's, both making announcements at the same time....that with the activity in the atrium at the time makes it so it is barely audible when the names are announced...unless you go later when there are not so many people.

Believe me, it is not like you are on center stage and everyone is staring....not at all.

MJ

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, I feel more at ease! Pidge

Give a celebrity name instead.

"Brad Pitt and family"

" Michael Eisner and family"

"John Kerry and family"

Give a celebrity name instead.
:rotfl:

tvguy, what a hilarious and great idea! I think we just might do this for the fun of it!

Really..nobody notices but you and a few castmembers.

We missed it the first time it all happens so fast.

I have the opposite problem. I was hoping it would be loud and everyone would cheer..LOL. Is it loud enough that if I'm videotaping it the sound will come through? I just thought my daughters would really enjoy watching and listening to that on video since from what I've heard when they walk in they will be so amazed with the surroundings that they may not hear the announcement.

In my 4 Disney Cruises, I have noticed that when you board the ship, you have choices. The first thing you come to is the photographers. If you do not want your picture taken, wait till the photographers are preocupied with some other family and just walk right through. Next is the CM's just inside the door calling out your name, again, if you don't want to be bothered, just walk right through. If you don't want all the fuss, don't make eye contact and walk like you have a purpose. I am not saying to be rude, but we have slipped by them our last 3 Cruises. They ask your name before you announce it and they are most of the time being asked questions by guests and other CM's.
It is loud enough for the camcorder to pick it up as they have microphones and pipe it through speakers.
We generally do not like having our picture taken when we board as we have been traveling all day, are hungry, tired, and each have a few carry on items. We wait for the other photo op's.

I respect your wishes and as noted by others if you do not want your name called or photo taken. And boarding photos are one of the revenue things that are thrown in your face. No fee to have it taken, if there is any chance your don't look like death, oh, Go For It! It will be one more reason to smile. As for the announcement, I just personally feel that is part of the Magic and Wonder of the DCL experience--I think I love it more than DS (6 when we last sailed, 8 for the next one and 9 by spring break).

Don't start your cruise by putting on your game face that you use to walk past panhandlers, go with it, it is a DISNEY cruise, after all. Just my 2 childish cents, your mileage may vary.

I think I love it more than DS

Me too...not that my 3 kids didn't love it, but I am the most emotional one in the family. I also can't wait to hear the ship's whistle blow "when you wish upon a star" again!!! You just have to love every minute...right up until you see that banner that says See you real soon! Then I cry...but at least we're going from the ship to WDW. That should ease the pain.

Jess

It seemed odd because I'm not a family. I travel alone. "The (blank) Family" seemed odd when it was just me.

Next time I'm going to give them the name of a character from the Adventurers Club or something.

Hi Pidge!

Everyone is correct, the other cruisers really don't notice, everyone is preoccupied. They say "The Disney Cruise welcomes the _________ Family of Florida" and that's about it.

I think someone mentioned that they have two cast members doing this at the same time, so your announcement will almost immediately be followed by the next name.

It won't put you in the spotlight and it might be a really nice memory for your family. It's exciting and a special way to welcome you on board.

If you are boarding after the rush and not so many are with you, you can just politely decline to be announced. They will respect your wishes because the announcer doesn't know your name unless you give it to him/her.

Enjoy your cruise! DFF

Anyone know what they do in the case of unmarried couples?

Also, if you’re shy because you’re worried of what others think of you, Why not take a bow and wave if someone notices when they say your name? Remember, you’re only going to see these people for a few days! :) Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter