Let DVC choose your resort stay?

DisnyMik

Mouseketeer
We heard that you can let DVC choose your resorts and it’s a lot less points. You could move every day but they’re filling up the rooms. What is this called and has anyone done this? Wondering how it works.
We do not currently own DVC but we are in ROFR right now so fingers crossed!

27 year DVC member here... DVC rents out *breakage* rooms for cash so those villas are valuable to them. If you want to reserve single days and move every day there is nothing to stop you. I have never heard of such a program...not sure where you got your information.

Congrats on your DVC purchase!

We heard that you can let DVC choose your resorts and it’s a lot less points. You could move every day but they’re filling up the rooms. What is this called and has anyone done this? Wondering how it works.
We do not currently own DVC but we are in ROFR right now so fingers crossed!
This does not exist.

Have been a member since 1996. What you mention has never happened during the time I have been a member. There is no program under which DVC will choose your resort (or room) for you, and, when doing so, charge you fewer points for a reservation than the amount stated in the point charts applicable to the room category. Point reservations are done through Member Services (by phone, email, chat, or online reservation system) by members reserving what they find available, and choose to reserve, for the stated points per night provided in the applicable point chart.

What does exist is for a member to reserve a DVC resort room for cash instead of points and get a 25% discount from Disney's going rate for the room that it charges to the general public. Rooms are not always available under that program.

Well you could waitlist (how many are you allowed at a time, 2 or 3?) and stay at whatever gets filled. But that wouldn't be s point saving.

It would be an interesting model for a point rental company... owners give the agency a pool of points (perhaps from a canceled trip or soon to expire) and hope to get the most they can out of it. The agency then cobbles together a patchwork of rooms and offers (let's say) a week long vacation at a lower than standard rental price just to get the points used up. That's what came to mind.

We have friends that have been DVC owners for 23 yrs. They were told that another member had done this and out of curiosity we were just trying to find out if this did exist or not? Thanks for the info!

The only thing that does exist that might be misconstrued as this is a Welcome Home Stay gone bad.

Example:
  • You just bought your first DVC contract and request a reservation at a Grand Flo 1BR in late Dec as your Welcome Home Stay.
  • Member Services goes and tries to make this happen but there just isn't availability, even with the additional rooms they have access to through Disney's ownership of points.
  • But good news, they reply back and inform you they've concocted a split stay of Saratoga, Old Key West, AKV Standard View, and a Boulder Ridge room actively under refurbishment, replete with construction workers entering the room at 8am!
  • Bonus: it's way fewer points!

I vaguely remember reading on these threads that there is a membership program where DVC automatically books the same time of year each year. A guaranteed week (purchasing-a-guaranteed-week) but this apparently actually costs a premium. Otherwise there may be special rates on rooms but they would be for cash. The only time I have seen discounts in prior years was for Disney Cruise repeat cruisers that received a 10% discount. The discount also applied to DCL cruises booked through DVC where there was a similar 10% discount on the points needed to book a future cruse. The cruise needed to be booked shortly after the last cruise taken.

Not exactly what the OP is asking, but wouldn't it nice to have the option to waitlist "any studio at WDW" if you want to stay on property but you're not fussy about where?
I think that would be great! And kind of fun.

I vaguely remember reading on these threads that there is a membership program where DVC automatically books the same time of year each year. A guaranteed week (purchasing-a-guaranteed-week) but this apparently actually costs a premium. Otherwise there may be special rates on rooms but they would be for cash. The only time I have seen discounts in prior years was for Disney Cruise repeat cruisers that received a 10% discount. The discount also applied to DCL cruises booked through DVC where there was a similar 10% discount on the points needed to book a future cruse. The cruise needed to be booked shortly after the last cruise taken.
We’ve been members since 1992 and have never heard of that (the link you posted also didn’t work).
That doesn’t make sense because one of DVC’s selling points has always been flexibility- unlike many other timeshares, DVC members are not tied to a particular week.
When we bought DVC, the minimum number of points you could purchase from Disney would allow you to book a week at the home resort - that might be where the ‘guaranteed week’ began and was misunderstood

We’ve been members since 1992 and have never heard of that (the link you posted also didn’t work).
That doesn’t make sense because one of DVC’s selling points has always been flexibility- unlike many other timeshares, DVC members are not tied to a particular week.
When we bought DVC, the minimum number of points you could purchase from Disney would allow you to book a week at the home resort - that might be where the ‘guaranteed week’ began and was misunderstood

Some resorts do indeed sell guaranteed weeks..now called favorite weeks.. and you pay premium upfront for thst..10% more points. If you cancel it, you get all the points to use as normal, including that extra 10%.

I know VGF, CCV and RIV have them. It may also be AUL.

But DVC books it for you prior to the 11 month window and it is a 7 day trip going Sunday to Sunday and can’t be modified. There are some that attach to a runDisney even that can be moved to start on a different day but not positive how those work.

DVD is limited though to selling more than 35% of rooms for any given day for the guaranteed week..

I don't even see how they could do this if they wanted to without violating the rules. The point cost is set for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter