Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

Got our two sets of the Mickey and Minnie face masks today. I ordered size medium based off the measurement guide they provided online and as soon as I opened the package I could tell they ran small. The size medium looks like it was made for kids. They barely fit my wife and I didn’t even bother trying them on myself. I guess I’ll give them a call tomorrow to see if we can get a refund for at least one set of them. We also have Monsters Inc and Frozen ones on order in size small for the kids but not sure if I want to keep those orders now...

Overall though the quality of the masks themselves seemed good. We’ll see how a set of them does after being put in the wash tomorrow.

... On a side note I bought the ones from Old Navy and They are good in a pinch but don't like that they don't have an insert for filter and they say 3 ply but aren't...
Agree about the Old Navy masks. Since they are thinner, I was thinking about hand sewing/basting in a thin pocket for a filter.

It was 64 degrees with 78% humidity at 5:30a this morning and my cotton mask was okay. Overall, it was the humidity that was annoying on our mile walk.

I find the cotton masks uncomfortable at 75/80 degrees mid-day when we are out walking our dog. I’d suggest getting a few moisture-wicking ones for the parks - at least to wear mid-day.

*The chiffon fabric square filters that I’ve placed in all my masks adds no weight at all and doesn’t affect breathability.

*Under Armour emailed to say now DD’s mask won’t ship until August. ☹️

I had ordered 5 sets of Disney Store masks. 4 medium and 1 large. The medium do not work at all but the large (Star Wars) fit fine without discomfort. I called and was on hold for an hour. They will not refund but I asked them to replace the medium packs with larges and the CM agreed to do it. I'm getting replacements in the same styles (Star Wars and Mickey) and was told they would ship 7/29. the CM said I could donate the mediums and that they do not want them back. This may not work for everyone but I knew I wasn't getting a refund so am happy with the replacement.

I received my large Mickey&Minnie Disney face masks this past Monday. I didn't notice any smell to them although some others have reported an odor. As with other masks I washed them and hung them up to air dry before wearing them.

The tags inside the masks are roughly 3-4 inches long and 1 inch wide. I carefully cut them off and haven't noticed any irritation from the tiny bit of remaining tag when wearing the masks. The tags contain standard information such as where they were made, material, and care instructions. For anyone else who wants to save the tag information, here's a picture.

FYI, the fabric care symbols mean:
Machine wash cold (I used warm wash/cold rinse with no problems)
No bleach
Tumble dry low (I air dried)
No ironing
No dry clean

The mask material is soft and comfortable and the size fits my (full) face just fine. However, the ear loops are not as stretchy as most other masks I have and they feel tighter on my ears. I wore one of the masks for an hour tonight while grocery shopping and didn't have any ear pain during or after. However, my face felt warmer and sweatier than other masks.

I'll continue to use the Disney masks around home since I'm not outside that much and it's not as hot as Florida, but my plan for my next Disney World trip (December, subject to change) will be to use disposable paper masks in the parks.

I got my 'balaclava' style mask from Amazon yesterday. It was far too large for my face. I kept it though and just took it in where it was too large (my upper face). This mask business is trickier than I thought it would be.

balaclava.jpg

I’ve read numerous reports of the Disney masks running really small. I have two packs of medium size ordered for my son. I’m hoping they work, but he has an adult size head (we had to get him a bike helmet for ages 5-12 when he was 2), so I’m a little concerned. Is it just the ear parts that are small? I’m wondering if I can do surgery on them by snipping the ear loops and sewing in a length of elastic to make them longer.

ETA: he’s going to have to wear masks in kindergarten, so if these aren’t going to work, I need to start looking for something else.

I’ve read numerous reports of the Disney masks running really small. I have two packs of medium size ordered for my son. I’m hoping they work, but he has an adult size head (we had to get him a bike helmet for ages 5-12 when he was 2), so I’m a little concerned. Is it just the ear parts that are small? I’m wondering if I can do surgery on them by snipping the ear loops and sewing in a length of elastic to make them longer.

ETA: he’s going to have to wear masks in kindergarten, so if these aren’t going to work, I need to start looking for something else.
When people post pics of their masks on, it seems that the ear loops are too small. You can see their ears pushed up (not sure how to describe that). Also I've heard that 2 in the bunch will fit, then one doesn't fit.

When people post pics of their masks on, it seems that the ear loops are too small. You can see their ears pushed up (not sure how to describe that). Also I've heard that 2 in the bunch will fit, then one doesn't fit.
Yeah that's what im experinacingr right now the white mickeyand blue mickey mask fir just fine, the white minnie one the loops were tighter I stretched them out last night am wearing it right now and its pushing up my ears but not too bad, hopefully with wear it will continue to stretch, weird how they are not all uniform.

Many people have posted that when they called or emailed ShopDisney.com to report problems with the mask sizing/fitting, they were given the option of a refund/gift card or replacement masks in a larger size. ShopDisney asks that people donate the masks that are too small, but you might want to keep a few for your son to use with his stuffies. Friends are doing this to help their kids get more familiar with mask wearing and to make the whole issue more positive for their kids.

When all is said and done, the best masks I have are the ones I made from the sleeves of old t-shirts. They have two thicker layers, completely cover my face, are easy to breathe through, can be tied as tightly as I want, and have an opening for a filter if I want one. These are the ones I will wear if I think I will be in a situation where I am more compromised. In all other places, I will wear the ones I got from Old Navy or Purple.

I had ordered 5 sets of Disney Store masks. 4 medium and 1 large. The medium do not work at all but the large (Star Wars) fit fine without discomfort. I called and was on hold for an hour. They will not refund but I asked them to replace the medium packs with larges and the CM agreed to do it. I'm getting replacements in the same styles (Star Wars and Mickey) and was told they would ship 7/29. the CM said I could donate the mediums and that they do not want them back. This may not work for everyone but I knew I wasn't getting a refund so am happy with the replacement.
I'm still waiting for mine and I ordered them back in April! I'm hoping the delay is them fixing the size issues I've heard about.

Mine have been sitting at local UPS facility since Wednesday, not managing to get themselves on a truck for delivery. :(

I’ve been having that happen with both UPS and FedEx lately. They’ll make it into Phoenix but then sit around some of the warehouse before getting to the delivery depot and make it out onto a truck. They must be getting short staffed...

I’ve been having that happen with both UPS and FedEx lately. They’ll make it into Phoenix but then sit around some of the warehouse before getting to the delivery depot and make it out onto a truck. They must be getting short staffed...
I ordered something from a store that uses fed ex and the item came late. I think they are backed up.

I ordered something from a store that uses fed ex and the item came late. I think they are backed up.
Someone who works for FedEx posted on another board that, in addition to being short staffed with drivers, they are also short on trucks because there aren't enough maintenance workers. So if a driver does get a truck and it breaks down, there is no replacement and all the deliveries will be set back (again) another day or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter