• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let’s help new pin traders avoid the cheap pins

Probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer out there anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here will know. I've been looking through lots of pins on Pinpics, and I'm seeing quite a few that were from DisneyAuctions. When I try to go to the DisneyAuctions website, it redirects me to the DisneyShopping site - do they no longer do the auction pins and just do LE ones on their shopping site? Someone please clue me in.

I still haven't purchased from pinfinder, but I plan to soon...maybe today now that I'm thinking about it! I'll let you know what the selection / quality is like.

Disney Auctions is no longer in business .. all pin related activities were transferred to the regular disneyshopping site. The reason was a major lack in customer service, lost pins and poor designs at the end of their business ..
I will send you a PM regarding cheap disney trading pins !!

Stephan

Stephan,
Thanks for the info - I honestly thought Disney Auctions just vanished - couldn't find any explanation on it.

I have placed an order from pinfinder - hopefully I'll have some news soon!

Sorry, I don't have a chance to read through this entire post so I am subscribing.
How can you tell a pin is authentic???
I would hate to trade a CM with a real pin for a fake pin!
Thanks

Having just returned and traded over a 100 pins several times over here is something we found. The CM's have Sedesma, Propins, name pins and a variety of non "authentic" pins on their lanyards. We had several "hidden" pin trades from CM's where we got non Disney pins. We just promptly retraded them. One CM questioned a pin that my son was trading until I stepped in and said that he had just gotten it in a "hidden" trade from another CM.

Several times, a CM would question my trade of one of my "really nice pins" for something of not the same size/quality. "You sure you want to trade that?" I didn't care, I was looking for Eeyore and if the kids needed a trader I always had several on me for them to use when they ran out and were not willing to part with what they had traded for already. I enjoyed the fact that we added many "good quality" pins to CM lanyards thru out the parks.

The back of the pin really tells it all. The newer Disney pins will list pintrader, the older ones don't. Anything that says "Disney" is tradeable. You will quickly get a feel for the real pins just by viewing the CM's lanyards.

We had a blast trading - it really gave us a chance to meet many CM's, find out where they were from and learn little details about them, the parks etc...

Yes what is a hidden trade?

:woohoo: Only 28 days 11 hours 13 min and 25 sec till Disney

The CM will turn the pin over so all you see is the pin back - the trade is a "hidden surprise" and you never know what you are going to get. We got some good ones and some lousy ones.

i have a question -- i'm just home from WDW and had some fun adding to my pixar collection. i'm in for the fun and have two collections (mickey and pixar) and just try to add to those with pins i like :)

anyhow -- we are cruising in April -- my question....is there a better time of year to buy lots on ebay? like i'm wondering if just before peak times of travel (spring break, summer) are the pin lots fewer and go for higher price? and maybe now a good time, just after the holiday crowds? or do you find lots readily available year-round?

how do you know which cast members are going to do a hidden trade? Please give more details on this. thanks!

Hidden trade means that a pin is attached wrong way round on the lanyard. The back is facing out the and the front of the pin is hidden. You can only find out what the pin is by trading for it. (You can possibly narrow it down a tiny bit becasue you can see the size and shape, but there are SO MANY pins you really don't know more than whether it's big or small.)

A CM suggested to my DDs that if there is a hidden pin, they should trade for it first. Then if they don't want to keep it, they can trade it right back to the same CM, because you are allowed to trade up to 2 pins with each CM.

This CM also said, "If all the pins are facing the wrong way, that just means the lanyard is backwards!"

how do you know which cast members are going to do a hidden trade? Please give more details on this. thanks!

The CM will have either a pin lanyard or square they wear on their belts. They will have a bunch of pins that you can see and review for a possible trade. Every once in awhile a CM will have a pin that you cannot see the front of, it will be pinned on backwards, all you see is the pin back.

You can request to trade for the "hidden" pin, you won't know what you are getting until the trade is complete. If you like it great if not just trade it later for something else. It is kinda along the idea of a grab bag.

HELP!!!!! I am leaving tomorrow,I don't want disappointed kids, what are sedesma and propins? How do we know what to look for? I have a bunch of pins, some I'm not sure will be good for trading, they all say disney on the back, but they differ in appeareance- help!

Thanks for the info on the "hidden" pins! There are so many little things like that to learn that I never would have even though of!!

Anyone know how to find out when they do pin events? Anyone been to one? What's it like?

HELP!!!!! I am leaving tomorrow,I don't want disappointed kids, what are sedesma and propins? How do we know what to look for? I have a bunch of pins, some I'm not sure will be good for trading, they all say disney on the back, but they differ in appeareance- help!

We had no issues, I wouldn't worry, if they say Disney no one should question anything and throughout your stay you will most likely trade for more than one Sedesma or Propin, they say so on the back along with the Disney. My DS opted to keep a couple of the Sedesma's since they were Goofy and he was collecting Goofy pins.

I'm very new to pin trading and trying to read up on this stuff. I'm wondering about a certain "cuties" set of pins on ebay. The item number is 300070678444. I don't see them on pinpics, which makes me suspicious. The (c) Disney stamp also looks different from my Disneyland pins. I think they're cute and would want to keep, rather than trade, most of them. However, I don't want to buy anything that's not legit or good quality. So if anyone can let me know if they're real or not, I'd appreciate it.

Hi, new member!

I was in disneyland last year and my friend traded for Eurodisney pins, so yes they are tradeable at DL.

As for sedsema, on the same trip I caught one on a CM's lanyard and pointed it out as such...she removed it...many CM's don't seem to take a large interest in the pin trading aspect of their job.

I use Pinpics, if I can't find it, I don't buy it. I just ordered some for the trip coming up in a few days, but I came across so many scrapper and sedsema pins in the process it was crazy.

Here’s the report on the pins from pinfinder. I ordered the 100 pin pack for $2.40 each. I received the following:
15 designs I got quadruples of (so this knocked out 60 of my 100 pins). Of these, 1 design was a Hidden Mickey, 1 design was a LE 5,000, and 3 designs were cast lanyard pins. I got one triple of a pin and 8 doubles. Of the doubles, 1 design was a cast lanyard series, 1 design was a Hidden Mickey and 1 design was a Disney Vacation Club pin. So that left 21 individual unique pins in my lot. Of those I got 1 cast lanyard pin, 1 All American Festival pin, 3 Hidden Mickeys, 2 Magical Gatherings pins (and these were quite large), 1 LE of unknown edition size, and 1 LE of 250! Of all these, there are 27 that are staying in my collection - the rest will make good traders. Of course I don’t know what kind of selection you might get if you order, but the price is good and the pins were each sealed in their own bags and in good shape. I received the package by priority mail 4 days after I paid for it. It may seem like there are a lot of repeat pins in the lot, but they do tell you that you will get them on their site. There were no Sedesma or ProPin or EuroDisney pins. I think it was a fair deal!

The CM will turn the pin over so all you see is the pin back - the trade is a "hidden surprise" and you never know what you are going to get. We got some good ones and some lousy ones.

I hadnt heard about hidden trades, thanks for the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter