Lesson Learned

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
We just got back from 3 days at VB, 3 days Poly Concierge, and 6 days VWL. It was my wife, my sister, and me. VB was great as we had a 2br, with the second bedroom for my sister. When we arrived at The Poly, it was very awkward sharing a room with my sister. I simply could not wait to get out of that place, and into the comfort of our 2br at VWL. That was possibly the loooonnnngest 3 nights of my life. I vow to never ever ever stay in a hotel room again, when it is more than just my wife and me.
Funny thing....before DVC, I thought I would miss The Poly. On this trip I found myself being somewhat disappointed with it. Perhaps VWL is so darn awesome (in my opinion), that second place resorts are in the far, far distance.

On a side note-
My wife, sister, and I had the pleasure of meeting anniet and her boyfriend at EPCOT. My only regret was that we did not have time to go to Pleasure Island together, as they were truly good, fun people. I am sure we would have a blast! Maybe next time, Annie!

I almost met Gail Hayden (although she doesn't know it), as her name was four above mine on the BCV model sign-in sheet.

PS- a brief review of VWL and VB will be coming as soon as I get a chance. Perhaps after my next work cycle. :cool:

I too was a person who joined DVC, thinking I would miss my favorite (up til then) POR. On my next solo trip, I changed reluctantly changed to BCV from POR-DH kept reminding me "We did buy these points to use them!" Well, now that I've stayed at the BCV (actually I feel this way about all the DVC resorts), I can't imagine why I ever thought I'd miss POR. Isn't it funny how DVC resorts seem to erase the desire to go back to the old ways?

hi: i felt the same way when we spent the last few days of a vacation at wl coming from the bwv. amazing how spoiled we get with a washer/dryer in the room.

Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
I thought I would miss The Poly. On this trip I found myself being somewhat disappointed with it. Perhaps VWL is so darn awesome (in my opinion), that second place resorts are in the far, far distance.

We did almost the identical trip in January, and found the same about the Poly, We like it and will continue to occasionally stay there (you can't beat the monorail for MK access), but we miss the DVC 1-Br with the kids. After a day at the park we were glad to be able to plug them in to their own TV for a while to make dinner (we like the kitchen), etc. Plus, we could settle the kids down for bed and still stay up and relax in the Master BR.:p

Imagine how we feel...we used to stay outside the parks....WHAT WERE WE THINKING? Ten days at a studio at VWL changed our minds, and while we are considering adding points sometime in the future so we can stay in a 1 bedroom for 10-14 days in January, we know once we do there will be no going back!

I can't imagine going back to the Tropical Palms Funsuites now, and we REALLY liked it there for a long time!:p

We enjoyed meeting Maistre Gracey and his wife and sister as well. We probably spent an hour together, but I think we laughed A LOT during that hour!

I have pictures and I'm trying to put together a site. I'll post when I get it up and running.

We had the same experience in July. We did 5 days in a 2BR with my parents at BWV--then 2 days lagoon view concierge at the Poly, our "favorite"--then 2 days in a 2BR at VWL. This was to "save points"--the days at the Poly were Friday and Sat., one being my BDay.
Well it wasn't the Poly's fault, but it rained all blessed day on my BDay--and while we could watch the fireworks from our patio, it wasn't the hammock I had envisioned! Plus it did seem a little worn compared to the BWV--they are rehabbing that building this summer. It was also cramped compared to the DVC rooms. DH even commented on it. I think it will be a while before we stay at a regular resort, unless we are out of points or get a deal (like our teacher rate we got for our December Dolphin stay).
Robin M.

It's so funny you should mention that--we spent Christmas vacation in a motel room at BC(not the villas). Since we had made the ressie at the last minute, we were thrilled to be back at the Beach Club, even if we couldn't get into the villas. That's why we had purchased at BCV anyway, because we had stayed at the Beach Club every year since it had opened. But after being in that room for 5 nights with my family, I couldn't WAIT until my children went back home to their jobs, and we had 4 days alone! Those rooms had gotten so small, and my kids are not that big! I am spoiled forever from staying in one bedroom villas, especially those at OKW:p We have already reserved a week in the BWV one bedroom for next Christmas, and I'm not going to miss a regular hotel room ever again!;)

Funny you should mention Poly....

We stayed at a 2 BR at VWL in December for 6 days, and switched over to Poly (my husband had never stayed there and it was his choice) for 1 night. What a let down after staying at VWL and moving over to a hotel that had just about no decorations or theming in the rooms. Did not enjoy, will not be back. (Sorry all of you Poly lovers). :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter