• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lesson Learned

Peggy Jean

Mouseketeer
DH and I learned a lesson the hard way recently on our trip to WDW just a few weeks ago. I feel I am a great planner and usually have all my ducks in a row, but never say there's not a lesson to be learned.

While at HS DH was keeping an eye on our things while I used my fastpass for TofT. It was a beautiful Friday and it only took me 20 minutes from start to finish. He waited for me at a bench near Beauty and the Beast. Upon getting back to him I noticed my hip pack that he was watching, was missing,:scared1: (there were 2 other bags that were still there, only the hip pack went missing) and ALL our important things in it, passes, keys, glasses, credit card, license, key to safe, Tables in Wonderland card, you name it. We believe he was being distracted by someone while sitting there and someone else slipped the bag away from where it was. Keep in mind my DH is a policeman of 20 plus years, so this can happen anywhere, anytime.:confused3

Well I had copies of all these cards in the safe in our room, problem 1, key to safe was in the bag. So.................the biggest 2 lessons I learned was:

1. Have your credit card number programmed in your phone. Even though guest services were able to help me find the right number, it took a while since the bank, (Chase) has many types of cards, finding the right one wasn't easy and time consuming ( I even knew my card number by heart and all and it was still hard to get through to the right number). GS even let me usr their computers in the back, but Chase didn't recognize the computer and wouldn't let me into my account. Trust me, I was glad for all the safeguards.

And 2. - Be sure your credit card company has your cell phone number while you are away, because if they only have your home number, that is where they will call to make any verifications. This happened to us. They called to verify where to rush us new cards, but they were calling home, and we weren't there. :confused: So when you call your credit card company to let them know you're going on vacation and that they'll see some different charges, make sure they have a number where they can reach you.

So in all, we spent 2 hours with guest services and Orange County police settling this matter. Everyone was wonderful,:thumbsup2 they couldn't have been more helpful, they even offered to take us to a local Walgreens to replace reading glasses. Just when we were about to wrap this up a CM came in with our bag!!!!!:worship: We couldn't believe it.:wizard: Everything was in there, but we were glad we reported it stolen with credit card company because all someone needs is the credit card number, expiration date, name and security code and that's it. Six months later you'd see charges for all sorts of things. :eek: We believe someone took the bag, got the info they wanted, then either ditched it or turned it in. I can't imagine it would have taken 2 hours for a cast member to bring something turned in to lost and found that was of such importance.

Despite all this we had a great time. :goodvibes The folks there took care of us, helped us, and their recovery system is unbelievable.:woohoo: They were able to replace our passes, keys, they had our room hard keyed so no one could get in. They reassured us that all was safe and helped us safeguard our things. I am just glad that it happened there, WDW CM's were the best. I can't imagine any other place being so efficient in helping.

Glad to here you didn't let a bad thing ruin your vacation.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out in the end, and thanks for the tips!

While I thought I would have no trouble reporting my debit & visa card stolen if it ever happened, I realized something while reading your post. I would have no trouble here phoning the bank immediately as I have their 800 number memorized (telephone banking) - but the # probably would not work in the States! Eekk - I had better double-check that with RB!

I'm glad to hear everything worked out in the end, and thanks for the tips!

While I thought I would have no trouble reporting my debit & visa card stolen if it ever happened, I realized something while reading your post. I would have no trouble here phoning the bank immediately as I have their 800 number memorized (telephone banking) - but the # probably would not work in the States! Eekk - I had better double-check that with RB!

While I'm sure the resort wouldn't have problems with you making a LD call within the NANPA area, I would never expect them to let you make international LD calls on their dime.

So, if they don't have a US #, you may want to make sure you have a method to make international calls on your own.

Also for Visa specifically:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/get-help-now.html

1-800-847-2911 and 1-410-581-9994 are both US numbers. That said, not sure what information they need to help you.

[ edit / Add ]
Just noticed, but just to give folks an alternative easier way to remember it, the 800 number for Visa is 1-800-VISA-911

Did you check lost and found? I forgot my new and exoensive camera near the Tea Cups ride and the next day, I checked and sure enough someone had turned it in to them.

While I'm sure the resort wouldn't have problems with you making a LD call within the NANPA area, I would never expect them to let you make international LD calls on their dime.

So, if they don't have a US #, you may want to make sure you have a method to make international calls on your own.

Also for Visa specifically:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/get-help-now.html

1-800-847-2911 and 1-410-581-9994 are both US numbers. That said, not sure what information they need to help you.

[ edit / Add ]
Just noticed, but just to give folks an alternative easier way to remember it, the 800 number for Visa is 1-800-VISA-911

An 800 number is toll-free, regardless of whether you are in Canada or the States. So it wouldn't be on their dime.

Problem is, some 800 toll-free numbers are not accessable by certain areas. For instances, several companies I have phoned in the States have an 800 # that works for people in the States, but a different 800 # for those in Canada. And yet again, some companies have a single 800 # for both Canadians and Americans.

The Visa 800 # you listed is one I can access from here. I just tried. I'll double-check with RB if that's the number I need to know while traveling in the States, or if the 800 # I'm use to will work. Thanks for letting me know about it. Visa 911 is an easy way to remember it!

Yes, we checked at the nearest stand first, we were at the road that leads to the TofT. At DHS lost and found is at Guest Services, that's where we were directed to go.

Yes, we checked at the nearest stand first, we were at the road that leads to the TofT. At DHS lost and found is at Guest Services, that's where we were directed to go.

We checked at the MK too and the camera wasn't there. Later in the day, everything at each park that is turned in is sent to the central lost and found which is near the kennels. You could call them and they might still have it. It's worth a try.:)

ETA: Sorry, I read your OP, 3 times and just noticed you have your bag. So glad it turned out to have a happy ending!!!

An 800 number is toll-free, regardless of whether you are in Canada or the States. So it wouldn't be on their dime.

Problem is, some 800 toll-free numbers are not accessable by certain areas. For instances, several companies I have phoned in the States have an 800 # that works for people in the States, but a different 800 # for those in Canada. And yet again, some companies have a single 800 # for both Canadians and Americans.

The Visa 800 # you listed is one I can access from here. I just tried. I'll double-check with RB if that's the number I need to know while traveling in the States, or if the 800 # I'm use to will work. Thanks for letting me know about it. Visa 911 is an easy way to remember it!

Ah, excellent, was thinking you were Euro or AU for some reason :), hence the international LD # comment.

For mastercard, the # is 1-800-627-8372 [which is 1-800-MASTERC, but they like to say 1800 Mastercard].

Also, with how 800 #s get setup, you may find some cellphones can't reach them. I'm pretty sure both VISA and MC work universally, but I can't positively say. Especially since I do know of other 800 #s that should work universally throughout the US that do not [USPS is the big one, Verizon has fits, but they do get them fixed when they notice].

There's one problem with putting your credit card numbers into your phone. If your phone and your credit cards are in the same bag and that bag gets taken, you've lost both.

I had my wallet stolen out of my purse at the grocery store around Thanksgiving. I made the stupid mistake of leaving it in the cart and I made a phone call and turned my back for a second. My bank had a branch in the store so they found my bank card # and my MasterCard with them. The police were called and filed a report. When I got home I called Chase and cancelled those cards, plus my work Visa card. I got a call from the store a couple of hours later that they found it thrown in the produce section. Everything was there except the cash. I was happy I got my ID back, car reg, ins cards, etc. The big hassle that happened after was I had to change all the direct debits I had going to the cards. Plus I was going to WDW in about 10 days and needed to get the replacement cards ASAP.

Good idea to report the event to your credit card company. Glad you got your bag and things back. While someone might have just copied all the info down and then left the bag, they might not have. Better to be safe than sorry. I used to work at a local amusement park and sometimes things didn't get turned in to guest relations until park closing or, depending on the attraction, the managers would retrieve things at certain times of the day only. But as already stated, you never know what could happen.

Thanks for the tip - I've never thought about storing my CC number in my phone. I'm glad to read that you didn't let this ruin your trip.

It's always good to remember that just because we're at WDW doesn't mean that bad things won't happen - ie things getting stolen :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter