Lesser of two evils?

MischaOz

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone - long time lurker finally coming out of the woodwork here! Sorry for the very long question but I'm hoping for some expert advice. ;)

I am planning our second early Dec trip. Things are a little different this year as both of the non-MVMCP days at MK are EMH. We prefer to stay off-site, so I usually avoid EMH parks, but this year we will need to go to MK on an EMH date if we want to be there at night (LOVE MK at night!!:)

SO the choices are either a Mon with morning EMH or a Wed with evening EMH. To give you an idea of our touring style, we usually get there early but not rope drop, take an afternoon break from about 2-6 or 7, and then head back for a few hours after dinner.

So would you choose the Mon or Wed? Are EMH mornings crazy? Do the crowds clear out by evening? If we go on the evening EMH date should we expect a huge crowd in the evening when we would normally be enjoying lower wait times?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Definitely evening EMH. You're group isn't an early to the park rope drop group and is more of stay out late, so that's a good choice.

You like to take a mid day break. So do that and come back and stay all night

Morning EMH are only for 1 hour. While you can hit quite a bit during that time. Evening EMH is normally 2 hours or more after park closing. The crowds won't be empty, but the wait times will drop and should be good.

I'd pick evening EMH over morning any day

Thanks for the feedback although I guess maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post... The issue is we're staying off-site, so we won't be utilizing the EMH. Since we have to go on a EMH date, I want to pick the one that will (hopefully) be less crowded... Thanks!

I would also choose the Wednesday.

Monday's in MK are horrendous as it is, I dread to think how busy it will be with EMH thrown into the mix.

One thing to consider is that if you can get to MK at RD on a party day, it may be less crowded and you will actually get more accomplished. WE always hit the MK on a Tuesday or Friday because we find it less crowded than just about any other days. Folks also tend to avoid MK on party days because of the shortened day. Now this is not guaranteed, but on our last trip we found that nothing was a given!

Hi Nancy, thanks for the advice. We also enjoy MK on a party day - our tradition is to do MK on Friday morning (a party day and out last day) before we hit the road. We'll also be going to a party, but I like to do one regular MK day for regular Wishes and MSEP too. ;).

I'd definitely choose Wednesday. It's a less crowded day and personally I think evening Emh days are less crowded during the day than morning emh's. I think a lot of people do what we do on EMH evenings - we don't arrive at the park until evening.

Both days are going to be super crowded thanks to the party schedule so I don't think it makes that big of a difference. Just be prepared for big crowds and you should by good to go.

I'd definitely choose Wednesday. It's a less crowded day and personally I think evening Emh days are less crowded during the day than morning emh's. I think a lot of people do what we do on EMH evenings - we don't arrive at the park until evening.

In our experience which is pretty much all in August:

On morning EMH days, many arrive early because of EMH, and not enough stay away who arrive only in the regular hours, so at say 10:30 AM the park is jammed because attendance is boosted over a normal day and the difference in crowding compared to a normal morning is very noticeable.

On evening EMH days, we find the difference in evening crowding compared to a normal day is less noticeable. I suspect this is at least partly because so many people come to MK in the evening anyway, either because it's open later than the other parks even if they aren't planning to do EMH, or because of the parade and fireworks.

So I agree, I would go on Wednesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter