Less than TEN days to go; I can do this! *Updated 12/2*

squeegee

DIS Veteran
Hello, All!

This will be my first pre-trip report, and really, the first thread I've ever started here. Please bear with me as I (hopefully) figure out what I'm doing.

There are three of us in my little nuclear family: Me, DH, and Little Monster (DD).

I am a 36 year-old ultrasound tech who got hooked on Disney during a "forced" trip back over New Year's 2008/2009. A friend of ours is a Disney travel agent and had been insisting for many years that we HAD to go - and I kept refusing, hating crowds, and once said that "even if I had the money, I'd spend it on something else..." Blasphemy, I know.

l_b38e88c8096f4c24a49dcfd4abc4bd75.jpg

Well, at one point, our friends came into a little money, and bought us a room at the Wilderness Lodge, tickets, and a dining plan, and presented it to DH and I as a Christmas/Birthday/Way-belated wedding gift. All four of us (this was pre-DD) packed into their car and drove 22+ hours from about the tip-end of Texas to Orlando for 9 nights. I've wanted to go back ever since. I didn't just drink the Kool-Aid, I completely immersed myself in it. LOL.

DH is a 37 year-old who drives for a living and insists we will fly this time, even though we've relocated to San Antonio and could do the drive in "just" 16.5 hours. He enjoyed the last Disney trip, but definitely didn't get hooked as well as I did. He's ok with this trip because it makes me happy, and because he knows Little Monster will absolutely FLIP. All he asks is that I not drive him up the wall with my spreadsheet (yes, I know, I obsess), and that he gets a few "nice" meals in.

l_b213c5cdf6804ac5a39a0cad2e66a8ee.jpg

Little Monster is my 3.5 year-old daughter. She's enthralled by all things princess, as is the usual for her age group, but also loves Nightmare Before Christmas and the Haunted Mansion. She's been watching ride videos with me and insists she wants to ride Tower of Terror. She's fearless, and it's wonderful. She's also stubborn as a mule, and has been from day 1. It results in a lot of "interesting" discussions, and I'm highly anticipating her interactions with the characters. It's going to be a hoot!

17.jpg

We're planning this trip for December 8-18th at Port Orleans Riverside, for a Royal Room. We've been booked since they opened the reservations, but the dates are still a little flexible, in case any PIN codes/Discounts come out. It's fine if none do, too, though - nothing's stopping me this time! DH would love to stay at the WL again, but I don't want to stay at the same place twice, no matter how much I liked it. I'm just weird that way. I think, if we could scrape up the money, I'd love to do a monorail resort, but I think I'll be fine at Port Orleans, too. Little Monster is going to love the princess theme and the fireworks headboards. She's a button-pusher. LOL.

In any case, it's been a long road to get here, and these past few months have been rough, with more to come. Am happy to have a place to obsess over my plans with folks who understand the mania.

In future posts, I'll bore y'all with the details of my spreadsheet, version 634.86.

Thanks for reading!

*edited to enlarge pictures.

Last edited:
Yaaaaay! I'm here to count down until December with you! I'm so glad you're doing a PTR. And your family is adorable! :cutie:

Subscribing love love love your daughters curls. I have ridden the Haunted Mansion a million times at DL. Do they have that ride at WDW? I know did she just ask that...lol I admit newbie moment. Can't wait to keep reading, especially since you'll be back before we even go!

Subscribing love love love your daughters curls. I have ridden the Haunted Mansion a million times at DL. Do they have that ride at WDW? I know did she just ask that...lol I admit newbie moment. Can't wait to keep reading, especially since you'll be back before we even go!
Her curls are a mystery to us, as both DH and I have straight hair. His mother is adopted, though, so we blame it on her. :) It took me forever to figure out how to manage them, but since she's old enough now for "grown up" products, it's gotten easier.
Not to get too far ahead of my trip report, but I'm hoping for a first haircut at the Harmony barber shop for her.
They do have a HM ride at WDW, but they don't do the cool nightmare before Christmas overlay.

Travel Day Plans:
Currently set for Tuesday, 12/8

The plan is to fly out of Austin, as I'll save about $150 even after accounting for long-term parking, AND the flight will arrive in Orlando earlier in the day, around 11am, if this year's schedule is similar to last year's. We're going to fly Southwest, wouldn't consider any other airline, and I can pay for at least part of it with points. I wonder if I couldn't rent a car here and drive it to Austin, and drop it off there for less than the cost of long-term parking, though? I'll have to investigate. The plan is to fly back into San Antonio, even though it will cost a little more, so that we can save the drag of a long drive, and so we can get a later departure time out of Orlando. Three more hours at WDW is worth it! LOL.

l_80b1cefb6e934d4c883359cc594fc04b.jpg

Meal plans:
Cereal Bars/Bagels, Etc. breakfast, (OOP) pre-flight
Wolfgang Puck Express (QS) 1-ish or 2-ish
Raglan Road Dinner (TS) 7-ish or 8-ish

A loose outline for the day:
Arrive at WDW, use DME to get to Resort, check in, and get settled.
Head to DTD
Spend a few hours at Disney Quest (use the vouchers in our package, buy just my daughter's ticket)
Mini Golf? Shopping?
Have dinner
Return to resort
Pool time? Campfire/Movie?
Get to bed at a decent hour for an early morning tomorrow?

On our first trip, back in 2008, our first meal was at Raglan Road, and I'm thinking of making that an official "Family Tradition." It'll be a long day for Little Monster, but I'm pretty sure she can handle it. She's going to be so excited that she won't sleep, anyhow - and I anticipate no problems getting her up early in the morning (at least for the first couple of days). She'll love the Irish dancers and the music.

She'll be 4 years old at that point, but I'm definitely planning on taking a stroller. We "practice" for the Disney trip by going to Six Flags out here pretty regularly, and the stroller is so nice for holding "stuff," drinks, and a pooped-out kid. :) Day-to-day, she doesn't use one anymore, but I'm fairly certain we'll need it at Disney.

Tomorrow, will work up the post for the first planned park day!

Last edited:

Love the PTR so far, I'm happy I'm not the only one with the spreadsheets :)
I started one for 2010 as soon as I got back from the first trip. LOL. There have been hundreds of versions, re-writes, and edits. I love it, and keep a printout next to my computer at work so if something pops into my head, I can jot it down.

Joining in. Your DD is too cute. I am sure she will love the royal room. I love your spreadsheet. Most if the time I find that spreadsheets help to give a good visual aid for your plans. They are also a planners joy.:cloud9:

Day 2 plans:
Wednesday, 12/9

Magic Kingdom

l_ce1d9e0be34e42eb9dc2208161ae3500 SML.jpg

Meal plans:
Riverside Mill food court Breakfast (QS) 7-ish
Columbia Harbor House or Cosmic Ray's Lunch (QS) 11-ish
'Ohana Dinner (TS Character Meal) 7-ish

Wake up, breakfast at resort food court
Head to MK for rope drop show (Completely missed it on the last trip)
Main Street Barber Shop - Rosie's First haircut
Use FP+, ride things
Return to the resort for a nap
Head to Poly for dinner
Return to MK
Use FP+, ride things
Return to the resort for an early night

Additional "Must-do's":
Merida, Sorcerers of the MK, penny hunt

Coveted FP+:
Anna & Elsa
7DMT
Space Mtn (will probably have to child-swap this one, though? She's at 39.5" now)

With a Little Monster in tow, the first park must, of course, be MK. We'll wake up early - which she's used to anyhow - and have a quick breakfast at the Riverside Mill (Bounty platter for me, please!). I plan on having the FP for late morning/very early afternoon, and I'm leaving some time in there for an afternoon nap (but I don't really think she'll go for it). Best-case scenario, she'll pass out in her stroller and DH and I can enjoy some quiet strolling, shopping, and people-watching for an hour or two. We had 'Ohana for breakfast on our last trip, and I think DD will love the little conga line stuff they do, and it doesn't hurt that she likes Stitch. Am excited to try it for dinner, chicken-or-no-chicken. Plus, this gets us to the Poly to look around a little bit. DD wants to meet Merida's mommy while we're there, but I told her she'll have to settle for just Merida - Elinor doesn't do M&G, as far as I know.

I have specifically never cut DD's hair (tempting though it has been), in hopes of having her first haircut at the Harmony Barber shop. I know it's usually for babies, but I haven't seen an age limit set. I'm not going to have them lop off much of her hair, either - just an inch or two. Has anyone done an older child's first haircut here? How do they do with kinky/curly hair? As the time gets closer, I intend to get several "little" haircuts myself, so that DD can see it's nothing painful, and hopefully get excited for one herself. Right now, at the mere mention of "haircut," she insists she never wants one so her hair can be like Rapunzel's. I've got my work cut out for me here, but I can assure everyone there will be no arm-twisting, no forcing her to do this; there will definitely be lots of cajoling and possibly bribery. LOL.

I began a pressed penny collection while I was there last time, but was woefully unprepared and only had one Mini M&M's tube of pre-82 pennies. I have been hoarding them over the past few years and now have over 200 pennies for pressing. I hope that's enough! :) I've been using a pressed-penny website to track which ones I need to complete sets, and which ones I'd like to start. Will do a semi-final update of that spreadsheet about a month before we go, I think, and a mostly-final update about a week before, and print a final copy a couple days before.... LOL. I currently need 94 pennies, 4 dimes, and 280 quarters. $71.34 total for a souvenir AND activity? Can't be beat. :)

Sorcerers of the MK sounded like something neat, and I don't expect to get too heavily into it, but I thought it might be neat for DD to play a little bit. I have to remind myself that we'll have several days in the MK, so we don't have to tackle everything the first day - but part of me just wants to race around and at least SEE everything the first day. I know I'm going to cry when we first arrive on property, and again when I walk into the MK, and possibly again when I get to Epcot,... and maybe again at AK,....but probably not at DHS (I'm just not loving that park). :)

Anyhow, the plan is for another fairly early night, for another fairly early morning the next day... LOL.

And of course, if y'all notice anything in my plans that is screwy, or that I have missed, let me know.

Last edited:
Joining in. Your DD is too cute. I am sure she will love the royal room. I love your spreadsheet. Most if the time I find that spreadsheets help to give a good visual aid for your plans. They are also a planners joy.:cloud9:
Yep. I just have to be careful discussing it with "non-Disney" people. Even my TA friend thinks I'm a little goofy in the head for it. :)

Day 3 plans:
Thursday 12/10

Epcot

Meal Plans:
Akershus Breakfast (TS Character Meal) pre-opening 8am
Snack credits or OOP for "lunches"
Liberty Inn Dinner (QS) 6-ish

Wake up, head to Epcot for breakfast
Use FP+, ride things
Return to the resort for a nap
Return to Epcot for dinner
Candlelight processional?
Catch Illuminations at 9pm
Return to the resort for the night

Additional Must-do's:
ILLUMINATIONS! 9pm
The British Airwaves, William's Punch (if available)
Kidcot Passport, School Bread

Coveted FP+:
Soarin
Seas w/Nemo
Turtle Talk

Epcot is My favorite park - especially the WS portion. I'll probably never have the opportunity to travel around the "real" world, so this is a nice, safe, easy second. :) The Akershus breakfast is a "must," so that Little Monster can meet her princesses without Mommy & Daddy having to wait in lines for quite so many M&G's. DH will like the salmon and such available to him on the buffet, I think, while I will be happier with the standard eggs and bacon. I think DD is going to lose her little mind the first time she sees a Mickey waffle. I don't have a solid lunch plan for the day, as I think we can sort of graze around the place and use snack credits as we get hungry. There's going to be a lot of walking, if I remember correctly.

I'm not as excited about the future-world part of Epcot, though the more hands-on stuff at Innoventions will probably enthrall my little button-pusher DD, and I enjoyed Soarin'. I keep hearing rumors that Beverley is no longer at the Club Cool, but I hope they're wrong - I really want to see DD's face when she tastes it. It's a rite of passage, darnit! :)

I put Candlelight processional in there as one of those things that we *might* do if we feel like it, but that I won't be heartbroken to miss. I'm not certain DD would sit through it anyhow. We missed Illuminations last time, so it's something I will make sure to see this time. We really enjoyed the Beatles tribute band that used to perform there, so I think we'd like to see what their replacement is doing. Had been looking forward to Off-Kilter, since I missed it last time, and I have no interest in a chainsaw performance, so am wondering what they'll put in by the time we get there. We actually missed Canada entirely last time we were there - shame on us! The boys were just having a little too much "fun" by the time we got around there...

l_f11af1db7e4d492eb07d72ddafdbc87a.jpg

William's punch was something I saw a picture of on the Disney Food Blog as a seasonal drink a couple years back, and the description sounded like something I'd enjoy - caramelly and sweet - so I'm hoping it's still available. Of course, I have to try the famed school bread, though I'll have to make sure DH has an empty tummy at the time in case I don't like it. He's my clean-up guy. :) DD will have to have a Kidcot passport done, because I want one.. LOL.

Day 4 Plans:
Friday, 12/11

Hollywood Studios

l_38b5d7aad9e14e069f547dfb8d62d766.jpg

Meal Plans:
Riverside Mill food court Breakfast (QS) 7-ish
Hollywood & Vine Lunch Buffet (TS Character Meal) Fantasmic package 12-ish
Sci-Fi Drive in Diner (TS) after Fantasmic

Wake up, breakfast at resort food court
Head to DHS
Use FP+, ride things
Try the animation/drawing class in the morning
BatB Show around 2?
Voyage of the Little Mermaid?
Fantasmic! At 6:00 (6:30 showtime)
Osborne lights
Eat dinner
Return to resort for the night
Pool/Relax/Penny Hunt

Additional Must-do's:
Glow with the show ears!
Great Movie Ride
One Man's Dream

Coveted FP+:
Toy Story Mma
Tower of Terror
Star Tours

I will readily admit, this is my least favorite park.
I'm not a Star-Wars fanatic, I don't enjoy stunt shows, nor am I that enthralled by "Old Hollywood." It just doesn't do it for me, and thankfully DH is pretty much in agreement. I do LOVE TOT, but RnR was just OK. I did enjoy Fantasmic, but not the hour-and-a-half long camp-out before it started, so will be taking advantage of the dining package this time around. We don't have cable TV, but DD has still had plenty of exposure to Handy Manny, Jake, Sophia, and Doc McStuffins, so if any of those are at the character meal, she'll be happy.

We missed out on the Toy Story ride and the Great Movie Ride last time, so those are must-do's this time around. We also missed the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid stage shows, so those are on the list, and the history geek inside me wants to see the One Man's Dream. We were there the day after they took the Osborne lights down on our last trip, so I definitely want to get those in this time.

Because this is my least favorite park, I've only put one day for it on the schedule. I realize this will make for one very long day if I try to see everything I want to see, but I can't justify an entire second day, nor do I want to pay for park-hoppers just so I can fit in one or two more things here.

Your plans for HS look good. Your DD will be happy because Hannd Manny, Jake, doc stuffing and Sofia are at hollywood and vine character meals. There is also a show called disney junior live which is a live stage show with the disney junior characters at HS. It is geared towards preschool age an the children get to sit on the floor up front and watch the performances.

Your plans for HS look good. Your DD will be happy because Hannd Manny, Jake, doc stuffing and Sofia are at hollywood and vine character meals. There is also a show called disney junior live which is a live stage show with the disney junior characters at HS. It is geared towards preschool age an the children get to sit on the floor up front and watch the performances.

I've heard of the Disney Junior Live show, and am doing my best to make sure she never finds out about it. LOL. :) I'm not sure I could handle that many preschoolers in that condensed an area.

Day 5 plans:
Saturday, 12/12

Animal Kingdom

l_2809f558b3554856aa523df9d6003e17.jpg

Meal Plans:
Tusker House Breakfast (TS Character Meal) pre-opening 8am
Snacks or OOP for lunch
Flame Tree BBQ Dinner (QS) 5-ish

Wake up, head to AK for breakfast
Use FP+, ride things
Flights of Wonder 10:45
Finding Nemo 12:00
FOTLK 1:00
Eat dinner
AK usually closes at 5 or so this time of year
Return to resort for the night
Find Yee-Ha Bob!

Additional Must-do's:
Kilimanjaro Safari very early
Rafiki's Planet Watch, find DeVine

Coveted FP+:
Kilimanjaro Safari
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur

Animal kingdom is much more than a "half-day" park, as far as I'm concerned. Even if Expedition Everest was the only ride they had here, I think it would still be a place to spend the whole day. :) I'm not sure how much the Avatar-land construction will impact us, but I'm hoping it will remain in the background.

On our last trip, we missed the Finding Nemo puppet show, and the Festival of the Lion king entirely, and only caught a little bit of the Flights of Wonder show from outside. DH was ill on the day we went to Rafiki's planet watch, so I'd like to take him back there, and I think DD will like the little petting zoo. Our friend was tricked into holding a hunk of petrified poo, though, and I'm not sure we can top that.

l_aeeb8688bd22438ca8ff586ce740da69.jpg

Since AK closes so early in the day, I think it will be the perfect day to head back to the resort early and catch Yee-Ha Bob, maybe have a couple of drinks and snacks at the bar. I'm resisting the urge to watch any of his stuff on you-tube, so that it can be a surprise when I see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter