Less than 24 hours to our 1st trip - what phone numbers, etc. should I have with me?

griz_fan

Earning My Ears
We're now officially less than 24 hours from taking off for our very 1st trip to WDW. In fact, it will be the 1st time we've ever flown any where as a family. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been cooperating. We'll be flying from Boise, ID, through Chicago O'Hare to Orlando. We've had heavy fog all week, causing quite a few flight cancellations. In fact, the same flight we'll take tomorrow morning was canceled today :scared1:

The weather forecast for today and tomorrow looks a bit more promising, and I'm holding out hope that our United Airlines flights will go out without any problems, but just in case, I want to have a contingency plan. If things go off without any problems, we'll roll into Orlando about 5:00 p.m. local time, catch the Magical Express to the Wilderness Lodge, check-in to our club-level room, and catch a 7:50 ADR at Whispering Canyon.

But, if there are delays/cancellations, what phone numbers should I have with me? Any tips or advice for dealing with flight delays or cancellations?

Finally, If we get out of Boise on time tomorrow, we won't have a lot of time to switch planes at O'Hare. I'm pretty sure we'll arrive at Concourse E, Terminal 2, then have at most, 45 minutes to make our way to Concourse C in terminal 1. I'm hoping there's some frequent travelers with tips on the fastest, most reliable way for us to sprint from one flight to another.

thanks!

Wow, congratulations you must be so excited!!

The only phone number I would have with you would be the number of the Wilderness Lodge Resort... I'm not sure exactly what that number is, but you should have it with you, just in case you feel like you have to notify them of your late arrival (which I don't think is necessary, but hey, it doesn't hurt).

However, DO NOT panic if your flight is delayed. Ours was last year for about 6 hours, and we were really upset.. but it turned out not to be a big deal. Magical Express Buses run all the time, so it's not like your not going to be able to get to your hotel if the flight is delayed.

You're going to have a great time... As a first time visitor, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how convenient everything Disney offers really is... Enjoy your trip!

Yep, we're excited (but I'm sweatin' bullets, but that's normal for me).

I pulled this info of the WDW website and added it to my contact list:

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Telephone: (407) 824-3200†
Fax: (407) 824-3232†
Reservations: (407) WDW-MAGIC (939-6244)†

Hopefully, I won't need it, but I always feel a lot better if I have a Plan B, Plan C, etc... (hope for the best, prepare for the worst).

Thanks!

If you are flying in to O'hare on United you will probably not be flying in to Terminal 2. United is all of terminal 1 at O'hare and it is a huge terminal with 2 councourses. Either way you will not have to take any bus or train to your next flight you can walk or run depending on when you land.

45 minitues is cutting it close, if your outbound flight is on time you will be fine. If it is delayed even just a little you might miss your connection. United will work with you on getting another flight. Luckily United has a good amount of flights from Ohare to Orlando but you never know. With a 45 min connection in Chicago during the winter I would pack a carry on with everything you may need for 1 night. If you are late it is possible that you make the flight but your luggage does not. There is also a possibility though very small that United can't get you out until the next day. Keep in mind if your flight is delayed becasue of weather and you miss your connection. The only thing United is obligated to do is get you on another plane.

The weather in Chicago will be fine for flying.

B.

I like to keep the phone number for the airline we are flying on in my cell phone. In the event that you need to rebook, it is sometimes faster to contact them by phone rather than waiting with all of the other passengers that are trying to speak to the airport customer service representatives.

If you are flying in to O'hare on United you will probably not be flying in to Terminal 2. United is all of terminal 1 at O'hare and it is a huge terminal with 2 councourses. Either way you will not have to take any bus or train to your next flight you can walk or run depending on when you land.

45 minitues is cutting it close, if your outbound flight is on time you will be fine. If it is delayed even just a little you might miss your connection. United will work with you on getting another flight. Luckily United has a good amount of flights from Ohare to Orlando but you never know. With a 45 min connection in Chicago during the winter I would pack a carry on with everything you may need for 1 night. If you are late it is possible that you make the flight but your luggage does not. There is also a possibility though very small that United can't get you out until the next day. Keep in mind if your flight is delayed becasue of weather and you miss your connection. The only thing United is obligated to do is get you on another plane.

The weather in Chicago will be fine for flying.

B.

We'll actually be arriving in Chicago on an United Express/SkyWest flight, so a lot of those arrive at terminal 2. We'll have our running shoes on...

If you are cancel due to weather call whoever you made the ressies with such if you made them through Disney Travel you call that number not WL. The number for WL is a center phone number not WL front desk. This is what the Disney Travel company told me. Call them not the resort. Then call your airlines to see if you can rebook etc. Good luck. I think this is the main reason why I don't go to Disney or to the caribbean due to weather. Unless my plane start off in my city. ;)

I hope you will have no problems getting down there & have fun !

We'll actually be arriving in Chicago on an United Express/SkyWest flight, so a lot of those arrive at terminal 2. We'll have our running shoes on...

The weather for Friday in Chicago is calling for sunny skies but 0 degree high temps. :scared1: You should be able to fly out with no problem. We are heading down next Tuesday and the long range forecast looks good from Chicago. Best of luck to you and your family. It will be a wonderful experience for you guys in WDW.:smickey:

Put Disney Dining in your cell phone too. Not only is it polite to cancel ADRs if you aren't going to be able to use them so that someone else can have your table, but it can be very useful during your trip if you find you need to try to change a reservation time, or suddenly want to try to make a new reservation somewhere. We actually got really lucky on our last trip in getting to move the time for a popular character meal the day before when we did not think we were going to be able to make it at our ADR time.

I would call the WL front desk, I talked with a CM and they said that the Resort will have your reservation about three days before you arrive, so when you call ask to speak with a CM at the front desk explain your situation and they should take care of the rest. I have done this several times. It does work. Good Luck.

Since we have a concierge room, would it make sense to call the Itenerary Planning Office, too? (Just in case)

Since we have a concierge room, would it make sense to call the Itenerary Planning Office, too? (Just in case)
I don't think so because the day you are to arrive for a Club Level reservation all your information should be with the Cast Members at the Wilderness Lodge Club Level lounge.

Well, a quick update. The plane we were meant to fly out on today was delayed in arriving in last night, which resulting in a 30 minute delay in departing, which would have resulted in us missing our connecting flight from ORD to MCO, so United re-booked our ORD to MCO flight tomorrow.:furious:
Since I really didn't want the family to spend the night in Chicago O'Hare, we had to re-book everything for tomorrow. So, we changed our departing day from Jan. 16 to Jan 17th, changed our return flight from Jan. 23 to Jan 24 (now we have a 6:46 a.m. flight out:sick: ). All told, I burned through over 2 hours of my cell phone minutes. After changing the flight, I was able to drop today's reservation for the Wilderness Lodge, and pick up a different reservation for Friday night, the 23rd (6 of us, going from the deluxe room to two courtyard view rooms). Updated our Magical Express times, called the IPO office, dropped our ADRs for tonight and tomorrow morning, and picked up an ADR at Ohana for Friday night. Yoinks!!! On top of this, the whole family got up at 5:30 a.m. today, will have to get up at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow... Grrr... But, the people at the Wilderness Lodge, Disney Travel and the IPO were great. Friendly, patient, persistent, and very dedicated to helping us out. I'm a little bummed about not going today, but dealing with the nice people sure took some of the edge off things...

I am really sorry you had to go thru all of tihs today. I know you wish that right now you were happily on your way to The World.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!:goodvibes :goodvibes

It's to bad your not going to arrive today, however at least you were able to re-schedule for tomorrow and hopefully you will all have a great vacation. :thumbsup2

If your flight for tomorrow to MCO were to change... I wold refuse a flight a day later. They have plenty of flights going there, and there has got to be something they could get you on. If not, check other airlines, then get your money back from United.

I was stuck in Michigan last year because the small United planes couldn't get into Ohaire, weather problems. I got a paper ticket from united and went right to the NWA counter and booked my flight home with them. There was no extra charge or change cost.

I found out that many times the little planes get delayed or don't come in to Ohaire. I would have missed another day because it didn't fly again the next morning. With the NWA plane I was able to get right home. As long as you have a ticket they told me I could change airlines without a fee.

Good luck. Having said that I have my parents going into Ohaire on a small plane in 2 weeks and 5 days. Wish for good weather for them also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter