less crowded time on Castaway Cay

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
I know there are "strategies" at the Disney Parks for best times to visit certain areas/attractions to avoid crowds, so I was wondering about Castaway Cay. Do most people head off the ship as soon as the all ashore is called to claim a spot on the family beach, then head back to the ship after lunch or shortly thereafter? Or have you noticed more people get there later in the morning and stay until late afternoon? We were thinking get there early, then leave when it gets the most crowded, as we do in the parks, but I know this is a very different ballgame.

Most cruises sail full, and I will get off asap to snag a place, (when I didnt have a cabana), I would say options are;-

• The fast walk not using the tram to the family beach.
  • Get the tram and get off at the second stop, pelican point.

The morning always fills up very very fast, most people stay to about 3pm then there is a steady flow back until the port departure time.

Now they will not like me posting this but go against DCL advice and go down to the disembarkation points AFT/ deck1, around 15 mins before advised port arrival time or as you can see you are docking, there will be queues there and your in the race to get off. Forward does open as well but you have the added length of the ship to walk, only better if you are forward.

They may stop the elevators going to deck 2/1 at that time but the official announcement is often after they open the doors there. I have heard it as I am on my way outside.

We just sailed on a cruise that appeared to be sold out (disappeared from website several weeks prior to cruise) and did not go to Castaway Cay until about one or so. We ate lunch and then headed to the beach and we had no problem getting chairs and were even able to switch to one with an umbrella within five minutes.

On our previous DCL cruise, I don't believe the ship was sold out. We didn't spend a ton of time at the family beach, but I believe we found a chair no problem while we were snorkeling and all.

Castaway Cay becomes very empty in the afternoon. No sense rushing off in the am when you can enjoy it later in the afternoon.

Last thing i want is to wait for the ship to dock and race a crowd. Sounds awful

I have never had an issue getting chairs or an umbrella on both the family beach and Serenity Bay and I don't rush off the ship. Remember, you are on vacation! The strategy described above does not sound like vacation to me.

We were on a full classic ship and did not find castaway cay all that crowded. It was really nice!

I generally run the 5K then go back onboard to get ready. DH and DS have been sleeping in, and they are starting to get ready. Then we all get off the ship. We haven't NOT found loungers yet, and we've only been on Dream. For us, the MOST crowded place we've noticed is at Pelican Plunge area...spots before that have been less crowded in our experience.

Do what you WANT, though. If you're an earlybird, do that.

Let me interrupt myself. This is what I would LOVE to have happen. I do the 5K. DH and DS get off the ship early and find us primo spots. I go back to the ship, get ready, then get back off the ship and find them. :) I prefer to not be part of finding spots at all. But...it's their vacation, too, so if they want to sleep in, then that's OK. :)

Anyway, if you want to get off early, do it. If not, don't. If you want to stay to the bitter end, to when the CMs are looking for you, do that. (don't hide, though, LOL...you know when you should be heading back...just wait until that last time to be heading back, if you want to)

We went off season, and had no problem getting a chair. We got to the beach area around 11:00am. We took the mostly empty tram. Enjoy

dh does the 5k as well. i leave the ship about 10:30 and i meet up with him about 11 for lunch then we find loungers. as several have said above, its never been a problem finding them and in good spots as well.
why hustle on vacation? i don't need to be the first one off the ship. i'll go when the crowds have dispersed.
have a great cruise.

Definitely noticed a difference in crowds between Dream and Wonder.... however we were able to get a space no problem on the beach while on the Dream... if we don't snag a cabana we're going to try and get a nice space by leaving early, I think the earliest you can leave the boat is 8:30?

We just sailed on the Dream in July and did the double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay). There were 15 of us celebrating my parents 50th anniversary and we had no problems finding a group of chairs with umbrellas on either day. The first day we got off the ship around 9. The second day we got off around 11. Definitely agree with PP about getting off the tram at the 2nd stop!

We slept until 9 am, had a leisurely breakfast, got off the ship about 10:30, an hour after disembarkation started, snorkeled, had lunch about 1 pm, when it started sprinkling. People went back to the ship in droves because of the sprinkled. It seemed liked we had the island to ourselves for the next 3 hours, getting back on board about 4 pm.

I never understand why people leave the beach when it starts to sprinkle. You're in your bathing suit and prepared to get wet. Put your towels under the umbrella and carry on!

We do the 5k (and add on another 5 or more miles after the race), we go back to the ship, shower, use pool, then go to CC around 1. We stay until all aboard. I find it to be much emptier and less stressful than clamoring off the ship. I have been there may times, but if it is your first, you may want to spend all day there. It is beautiful.

Have been to Castaway cay only twice- on dream and Fantasy in August both times. I did notice that with the4 night dream sailing there was more of a rushed feeling to claim your loungers and the family beach got crowded very quickly. Whereas with the 7 night western fantasy sailing the family beach didn't seem to get even remotely crowded until about 11 and started to empty around 2ish when the food places started shutting down. My personal theory is that everyone is more relaxed with the longer sailing since castaway cay was the 4th beach day for many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter