Les Miserables Lovers...3rd UPDATE 10/18: Movie Dates!

I have seen the broadway version a few times, have the dvds of the concerts as well, so I went into the movie thinking it can't be good..but I was really surprised..I really liked it..yes I think a different Javert would have been better, but I didnt hate his version. Loved that Colm was in the movie, and it showed more "story" that is hard to see on a stage. Would go see again at the theatre!

It took me awhile to recognize Hugh Jackman in the opening sequence. My biggest disappointment with his performance was Bring Him Home. So much more powerful from a lower voice.

I agree that Javert did not have the vocal chops.

My thoughts.

I have seen the show many times. I read the book. Never saw a nonmusical adaptation of the book.

Hugh Jackman was wonderful as Valjean. I still hear Colm Wilkerson's voice in my head when I think of "Bring Him Home" but Jackman's performance was very moving. Did not like the new song, "Suddenly", which he sings in the carriage after rescuing Cosette. Didn't dislike it, just thought it was "meh".

Colm as the Bishop was a clever idea, and he turned in a good performance.

Loved Anne Hathaway. Loved how they moved "I Dreamed a Dream" to after "Lovely Ladies", had more impact and really made me cry.

Loved the scene in the convent, that was from the book but not done on stage. Valjean saved that man, and the man returned the favor.

Russell Crowe -- physically he really captures Javert, but I think we was not singing in his usual range, his voice sounded weak, like he was reaching.

I did like "Master of the House". On stage the humor has to be very broad for the audience to "get" it. Here, the comedy was a bit more subtle. I really love Helena Bonham Carter.

Considering the grandeur of the sets, it was a little tiring to see so many close ups while the actors were singing.

An issue I had about Gavrouche. In the original stage production he introduces himself by singing a song called "Little People", which he reprises when he's dying. Later in the Broadway run -- or maybe it was during the revival -- they cut that song, but allowed him to sing the reprise. Didn't quite make sense to me. They do it in the movie, too. You don't really "get" what he's singing as he's dying because you never heard the original song.

"One Day More" works better on stage.

I cried three or four times during the movie, especially at the finale. To love another person is to see the face of God....

It took me awhile to recognize Hugh Jackman in the opening sequence. My biggest disappointment with his performance was Bring Him Home. So much more powerful from a lower voice.

I agree that Javert did not have the vocal chops.

Lower? No, a higher voice...hence the parody, "Bring it down..."

Just back from seeing the film...

I have seen the stage show on Broadway several times...both the original staging and the new, 25th Anniversary version and know it by heart.

I really liked the movie. I did find there were a few too many close-ups but otherwise thought the staging was fine. I also thought it odd that they changed some lines in some of the songs...most for no apparent reason.

Some points...

Master of the House was the only "botched" section for me. I thought it was too claustrophobic and much of the humor was lost. Not one person in our audience laughed.

Amanda Seyfried's upper register was grating.

I did not like Hugh Jackman's styling, (his haircut kept making me think of Michael Landon) but thought he gave a very good performance. Bring Him Home was the only low point of that performance for me.

I loved Eddie Redmayne as Marius. Both his singing and his acting were stellar.

I loved that Enjolras fell from the window and ended up as he does on stage, complete with the flag.

I really enjoyed the moment when Javert gave Gavroche his pin.

I had no problem with Russell Crowe's performance. True, his singing was not Broadway quality, but I felt the same way about the rest of the main performances, except for Hathaway, Redmayne and the girl who played young Cossette.

Anne Hathaway's performance was heartbreaking and haunting.

Loved seeing Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop.

Sarah Barks' waist is way too small...but her performance was very good.

I'll definitely be going to see it at least once more...and will buy it when it is released on bluray.

An issue I had about Gavrouche. In the original stage production he introduces himself by singing a song called "Little People", which he reprises when he's dying. Later in the Broadway run -- or maybe it was during the revival -- they cut that song, but allowed him to sing the reprise. Didn't quite make sense to me. They do it in the movie, too. You don't really "get" what he's singing as he's dying because you never heard the original song.

Gavroche always introduced himself during the reprise of "Look Down". The original London cast recording had a longer version of "Little People" that followed "Look Down", but it was cut early on in the London run, I think even before it transferred to the Palace. The full song never made it to the Broadway production, what was left of it moved to Act 2 when he busts Javert, and again when he dies. More recently, it ends after "that only goes to show what little people can do" during the Javert scene, and in the Broadway revival in 2006, his death scene was changed to a song called "Ten Little Bullets", although I believe it's been changed back to "Little People".

I actually liked his new "Look Down" lyrics in the movie, I wish it was included on the soundtrack...when they called it a 'highlights' album, they weren't kidding. Hope the full version is out soon.

Just got back from the movie...I loved it! Even Russell Crowe. No, he's not a theater-singer like we've seen on stage, but he's such a good actor that I can look past it. And that moment after the barricade falls and he sees Gavroche? Forget it...it was already sad enough.

I've seen the show 9 times, and sometimes it's a little hard to break away from what you know from the stage version, but the movie is really, really good. The live singing is amazing...that had to be the most brutal version of "I Dreamed a Dream" I ever heard. And Hugh singing the Soliloquy at the beginning was amazing.

I also loved that they incorporated so much of the book into it, especially the stuff with Eponine, and the convent. Even Marius' grandfather was there!

I need to see it again, but I was thrilled with it. :thumbsup2

Just got back from seeing it. Some of the lyrical changes and cuts threw me off a bit as did the amount of extreme close ups but overall I loved it.

We got to see it last night.......I loved it! Even Russell Crowe.
DH was not so happy with Russell Crowe.
I do wish they would bring back intermissions!! :rotfl2: My poor bladder.
We are going to do a double feature this weekend and see Les Mis again, and Lincoln

Gavroche always introduced himself during the reprise of "Look Down". The original London cast recording had a longer version of "Little People" that followed "Look Down", but it was cut early on in the London run, I think even before it transferred to the Palace. The full song never made it to the Broadway production, what was left of it moved to Act 2 when he busts Javert, and again when he dies. More recently, it ends after "that only goes to show what little people can do" during the Javert scene, and in the Broadway revival in 2006, his death scene was changed to a song called "Ten Little Bullets", although I believe it's been changed back to "Little People".

I actually liked his new "Look Down" lyrics in the movie, I wish it was included on the soundtrack...when they called it a 'highlights' album, they weren't kidding. Hope the full version is out soon.

Just got back from the movie...I loved it! Even Russell Crowe. No, he's not a theater-singer like we've seen on stage, but he's such a good actor that I can look past it. And that moment after the barricade falls and he sees Gavroche? Forget it...it was already sad enough.

I've seen the show 9 times, and sometimes it's a little hard to break away from what you know from the stage version, but the movie is really, really good. The live singing is amazing...that had to be the most brutal version of "I Dreamed a Dream" I ever heard. And Hugh singing the Soliloquy at the beginning was amazing.

I also loved that they incorporated so much of the book into it, especially the stuff with Eponine, and the convent. Even Marius' grandfather was there!

I need to see it again, but I was thrilled with it. :thumbsup2

We just saw it last night too! Both our kids are "choir kids" and they saw so many of their classmates there!

Overall, we loved it! YES, it is different from the stage production, but it is supposed to be. As we have seen before, just fliming a stage show does NOT work as a movie (ie "The Producers").

I think I can understand Imzadi's comments about Hugh Jackman. While I LOVE Hugh, his voice sounded much more "nasally" than before. I thought it was just my imagination at first, but I just went back and viewed some of his previous musicals on You Tube ("People Will Say We're In Love" from Oklahoma, "Soliloquy" from Carousel), and he did not sound that way then. :confused3 Because I've gotten so used to the quality of the sound from singers like Alfie Boe and John Owen-Jones, I thought Hugh's voice was distracting, and as a result, "Bring Him Home", which I was really looking forward to, did not have as much of an impact for me as I thought it would.

Russell Crowe, on the other hand, surprised me, because I didn't think he was that bad! Yes, he is not operatic, his is not a classically "trained" voice, and he doesn't have vibratto. But he delivered them adequately, albeit with not as much emotion as I have seen from other stage performances. His "Stars", especially, could have used much more passion, I thought. He completely redeemed any shortcomings, however, in my eyes with his gesture after he sees Gavroche's body, which I've heard was completely Russell's idea. :thumbsup2

Anne Hathaway was amazing. Her portrayal of Fantine was truly heartbreaking. I probably would have cried a lot more at her "I Dreamed a Dream" if I hadn't seen it so many times already in the trailers.

Amanda Seyfried was fine as Cossette, but I never thought that role called for too much - just a pretty girl with a pretty voice. Eddie Redmayne was excellent as Marius! I had not heard him sing before, and I was quite surprised at the power and emotion of his voice. My only criticism is that his jaw and head bobbing was a bit pronounced.

Samantha Barks was fantastic! I cried the hardest, I think, at "On My Own". It is nice to have a relative "unknown" in the cast, and I know that many people who are not familiar with the London musical theater scene may not have heard of her. Here's hoping this gives her more deserved exposure and fame! (And I'm eternally grateful, again, that Taylor Swift did not play Eponine. Or Lea Michelle, or Emmy Rossum, for that matter).

Aaron Tveit was also great as Enjolras, good acting, good singing. His death scene, sprawled out upside down, wrapped in the red flag was a definite nod to the stage version, especially when the old turntable barricade was used.

I actually enjoyed Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen as the Thenardiers. I LOVED all the little ad libs SBC threw in there! DD and I thought they were funnier that the stage version; DH thought they were darker and more despicable. Their singing was fine for the roles. By the way, does anyone know why "Dog Eat Dog" was cut completely? Some of the other songs were shortened/altered, but I think this was the only one that was eliminated? We were wondering if they thought that SBC did not have the vocal chops to do that song justice.

I liked having "Do You Hear The People Sing" just before "One Day More". I think it makes more sense thematically than at the very end of the show. Moving "I Dreamed a Dream" to after "Lovely Ladies" made more sense too.

I also liked having more of the elements from the book - Lamarque's Funeral, the caretaker at the convent as the man Valjean saves, Marius' grandfather who takes him in and makes amends.

Loved seeing Colm as the Bishop. I broke down when he gave the candlesticks to Hugh - it was literally a passing of the baton. And seeing him welcome Valjean into heaven at the end was such a powerful scene - I actually liked it better than when the actors just walk to the darkened rear of the stage.

I really don't remember the new song "Suddenly" that much. A stupid girl in front of us kept checking her cell phone, and I was too annoyed/distracted by it at that time. :furious: I'm going to have to watch the movie again to form an opinion on that song.

Jen, I listened to the soundtrack highlights AFTER I saw the movie, and I was also missing some of my favorites. I was also surprised they cut so many songs, but I guess they had to fit it all on one CD.

I was also surprised at some of the changes to the lyrics. Some of them are subtle - the Bishop, for example, sings "I have SAVED your soul for God", and before, the words were "I have BOUGHT your soul for God". I did like the change in "Castle on a Cloud" - "Will you be just like a Papa to me?"

I'm sure I will see it again - maybe not in the theater (we don't like the crowds!), but definitely will be getting the DVD and wearing it out, I'm sure! ::yes::

I thought that it was very good too. I've seen the show several times over the years - it is my favorite musical! I thought the actress who played Eponine in the movie was the best one in the entire movie! She was amazing!!! I will definitely see it again, and I will buy it when it come out on DVD!

I saw it with my daughter and niece yesterday (bboth girls are 14-15) I loved it. They had no previous experience with the material and were very caught up in it all.

I also love it. I thought it was great. Russell was the weakest singer but man can he act! Hugh was perfect!

Also loved loved Eddie Redmayne as Marius. Swoon worthy.

Saw it yesterday with my hubby & kids (both are choir kids). We all loved it. DD & I were teary all the way through & even my hubby shed a few at the end. My son said it was one of the best movies he'd seen this year.
I think that Crowe, Carter & Cohen were the weakest links, singing wise. Someone needs to tell Carter that she can't sing Broadway. I'm glad they made the decision to cut down some of the songs instead of removing them completely. I'd rather have a shortened 'Drink With Me' instead of having it cut completely.

The ending was sheer perfection. From the moment we see Valjean sitting in the chair to that amazing final shot it was perfect. Any chance of holding back the tears was shot at that point.

I just got back from seeing it too. As I've said before, I'm a newbie and have never seen a stage performance. I've only seen/bought the two concert DVDs a have the Original London Cast CD set.

I LOVED the movie. I like it even more than I expected (okay, so I'm a sap :goodvibes ). I'm ready to see it again.

I'm not a Russell Crowe fan at all. But, I liked his portrayal of Javert. He is not a trained theatrical singer, but he was dark and you could see the struggle he was going through. And, yes, when he placed the medal on Gavroche, I lost it.

Loved Eddie Redmayne. His "Empty Chairs . . ." was moving. More tears.

Thought Samantha Barks was great as Eponine. She deserved to be in the movie, and I'm also glad they didn't get a "known" singer/actress to play that part.

Overall, I liked Hugh Jackman as Valjean. Yes, he's not Colm Wilkinson, Alfie Boe or John Owen-Jones, but I did like it.

Anne Hathaway was wonderful. Can't say anything to add to what others have said.

I did spot Hadley Fraser (Enjolras in the 25th Anniversary Concert) as the army officer barking out orders at the barricade. Made me smile, as I really like him (and his non-theater music if you don't know - go to YouTube and search. It's amazing - and he partners with Ramin Karimloo in their band, Sheytoons. It's my favorite music right now).

But, my favorite was seeing Colm Wilkinson. I knew he was in the beginning of the movie, and the scene with the candlesticks got me teary. But, I didn't know he was at the end and sang with Hugh. Sobs at that point.

I took my 13-yr-old DS. He gave it a 3 1/2 out of 5. I thought it was a pretty good indication, as he's more into action/Bond/etc., type movies. Plus, he's in his room singing songs from the movie right now. :) He asked me if I thought he could sing "Bring Him Home." That's my boy!

Yep - I'll be in line to buy the BluRay when it comes out!

Just saw it. I loved it. I have seen the Broadway show 4 times so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly suprised. There were a few moments where I cried and if I hadn't been in a theater would've really, really cried.lol. I heard many people sniffing and blowing their noses at the end, including men. Amanda Seyfried was the low spot for me, just don't like her voice at all.

Confessions of a Les Miz geek

By Craig Schneider

Thu Dec. 27, 1:20PM
My heart started speeding up as I bought the ticket. After all this was “Les Miserables,” the film I’d waited 20 years for.

This was the show I’d seen on stage from New York to Atlanta some 20 times. This was the show that, as soon as I walked out, I couldn’t wait to see again. This was the music and story and characters I just had to tell people about.

Obsession is a harsh word, but that about sums it up. So I joined a crowd of Les Miz geeks at the 10:45 a.m. Christmas Day opening in Alpharetta.

The movie just had to be great. The story meant so much to me. When I saw it for the first time, I walked out spellbound, stupefied, transported. I had never seen such a thing — the churning rhythms matched with poetic lyrics, the stirring call to freedom. And each time I returned, I found new connections, deeper resonance.

Over the years I’ve collected articles, photos, refrigerator magnets, Playbills and, in short, driven my wife crazy. Whenever I mention Les Miz, she takes on the aspect of a person who is truly miserable.

But I was worried. To tell the truth, it’s been years since I’ve seen a great production of Les Miz. The show, seen by 60 million people around the world, has flagged in my opinion. I’d come to doubt that this generation of performers had the gravitas, the talent and commitment, to take this show to the heights it deserves.

The soundtrack CD arrived at my house last Saturday. By Monday I had listened to it seven times without reaching a verdict. I wanted to listen to it with an open mind, but I couldn’t. I’ve heard this music too many times, and I have lots of favorite performers and high expectations.

In the days leading up to the movie, many of my conversations — whether about problems in Tajikistan or student-led protests around the globe — led back to Les Miz. Never mind that some of my listeners knew little about the show and could care less.

So let me cut to the chase about the film. From the opening chords of the song “Look Down” — boom, boom-boom, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom — I began to feel the same thrill I felt seeing Les Miz for the first time.

The guy sitting next to me, Chris Knighton, an attorney from Roswell, summed it up perfectly: It’s great to see the show taken from the confines of a stage into the big wide world. The opening scene, in which lines of prisoners pull ropes to drag a storm-tossed ship into shore, announced that this production would have an epic grandeur.

From there, ex-convict Jean Valjean goes on a journey that changes his life again and again.

When a priest shows him mercy, Valjean is driven to change his world view and believe in God and goodness. After he breaks his parole, the police arrest a man they think is him, but Valjean saves the man by turning himself in. When Valjean achieves success as a factory owner, one of his workers dies and he raises her young daughter.

Jean Valjean should, I believe, be the first fictional character to receive sainthood.

But the heart of Les Miserables is Fantine, the doomed factory worker. Once a young woman filled with hope, she shows the cruelty of this world. She ends up on the street selling her hair, her teeth and even her body.

Anne Hathaway passed the test of a great Fantine: When she unveiled the character’s shattered life in “I Dreamed a Dream,” she drew tears from me and the guy sitting on the other side of me.

Twenty years after my first viewing, my reactions have changed. The deaths in the show — and there’s a boatload of them — hit me harder. Being over 50, I have a greater understanding of the longevity of death. Being a reporter, I’ve seen my share of lives that ended too young, with so much ahead. Also, the young love of Marius and Cosette seems more distant now and more delightful.

Les Miz geeks are like the fans of Bruce Springsteen, another personal obsession. We stick with them for years and years. They’re worth it, through the ups and downs, for the way they give you chills, or give voice to your beliefs, or change your life.

This thrilling cinematic tale wasn’t perfect. But for me, it worked, and the cumulative effect reminded me how much Les Miz means to me.

Watching this Alpharetta audience shed tears and applaud achieved something else: It affirmed the humanity that binds us all.

I think I'll see it again this weekend.

Three days later I cannot get this movie out of my mind.

Truly, Anne Hathaway's character has left a mark on me. Hugh Jackman's character has me in deep thought...

I've never seen a movie leave me feeling like this one has. I must see it again.

Brenda, maybe you can see it with Hunter?

I absolutely love this musical. It is so NOT your typical silly, feel-good musical; it really hits you in the heart and makes you think about love, life, redemption, forgiveness, and salvation.

I finally got a chance to see it last night. I have seen Les Mis on Broadway 4 times, so my hopes were high. That being said, I LOVED it....except for Russell Crowe. Did not like him at all - where was the passion, the strength..the drive. The only performance he was "ok" in was his demise - and when he hit that wall - OMPH! I don't know what they were thinking when they cast him. I wasn't the only one in the theater that thought that - almost everyone I heard said the same thing. That being said, I loved everyone else - and LOVED seeing Colm as the Bishop. The end when he welcomed Val Jean into Heaven OMG I was a sobbing snotty mess!! I liked how Eponine was shot trying to save Marius instead of just climbing the barricade. I liked seeing how they kept true to the stage production and also how they changed somethings up for the film. I will definitely see it again and when itunes comes out with the complete soundtrack I'll get that too. This movie touched my heart in so many ways.

I have a question for your regarding what age is appropriate to see this movie. Our kids have been to the theater performance at 10, 11, & 15 & knows the story. My youngest is now 12. Is it ok for her to see this movie..the thing I was concerned about was the prostitute and or sex scenes. They are not as pronounced in the theater version & some of it went over her head (ex, think I'll put my anchor in that harbour over there like in "lovely ladies")

How is it for a 12 year old girl & 13 year old boy? Thanks!

mommykds said:
I have a question for your regarding what age is appropriate to see this movie. Our kids have been to the theater performance at 10, 11, & 15 & knows the story. My youngest is now 12. Is it ok for her to see this movie..the thing I was concerned about was the prostitute and or sex scenes. They are not as pronounced in the theater version & some of it went over her head (ex, think I'll put my anchor in that harbour over there like in "lovely ladies")

How is it for a 12 year old girl & 13 year old boy? Thanks!

Haha that line totally went over my head too! Never even thought about it until you mentioned it. Funny.

But to answer your question, there is one shot where she takes her first customer and lays down and he lays on top of her and clearly they are having sex. You don't see any skin at all but I would imagine It would be awkward for preteens.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter