Lens Suggestions

chrishatton

Disney Dad
I'm heading to the World second week of October. While I own a multicamera system, I will be taking a reduced package to the parks. I'm thinking Canon Mark 5d III, 70-200 2.8 is, 24-70 2.8 ii, and a nifty fifty. Any reason to think that this will not get me everything that I want? I don't figure that I'll require or use off camera flash so I'm leaving the Speedlights at home. I can get away with a smaller Lowepro backpack with this setup, and in my mind I have everything more or less covered as I don't plan on doing any macro.

Do you need a nifty fifty since the 5D III is so crazy good at high ISO? Or do you prefer its Bokeh to the f/2.8?

I took too much stuff when I went to DL shooting a 5D3.

Used 24-70 F/2.8L II probably the most for general walkaround shots.

I also used a 24 mm F/1.4L II quite a lot on indoor rides where flash not allowed so a fast prime would probably be useful (also got a lot of shots in the Aladdin show). Even if not shooting wide open I think the lens goes wide open to achieve focus before stopping down for the shot so more light in makes focusing faster and easier. Going wide was useful indoors especially on rides where the subject distance isn't that great as the ride tracks are right at the edge of the display. The 24mm was also used a lot during the night parades where it was getting dark and I couldn't really use a flash for lighting due to size of the float and entertainers plus distance away.

A fast prime can also give you better subject isolation and bokeh over something F/2.8 should you want it.

The 70-200 mm F/2.8 only got used to get outdoor stage shots of my daughter's dance group.

Thw 16-35mm F/2.8L II didn't get used as much as any of the other lenses but was useful when I wanted shots of my kids in front of something but didn't want to back up too much so as to prevent people from inadvertently walking in front of me while I was taking a shot.

The 600EX-RT flash was useful in character shoots indoors with low light and outdoors to help negate shadows. The highlighting of the character and my daughters with the flash also allowed me to easily darken the background low light areas to eliminate distraction and allow the focal point of the picture to be what I wanted. Plus the flash has a red focus assist light which is useful in some areas as well where there wasn't much other lighting.

I took too much stuff when I went to DL shooting a 5D3.

Used 24-70 F/2.8L II probably the most for general walkaround shots.

I also used a 24 mm F/1.4L II quite a lot on indoor rides where flash not allowed so a fast prime would probably be useful (also got a lot of shots in the Aladdin show). Even if not shooting wide open I think the lens goes wide open to achieve focus before stopping down for the shot so more light in makes focusing faster and easier. Going wide was useful indoors especially on rides where the subject distance isn't that great as the ride tracks are right at the edge of the display. The 24mm was also used a lot during the night parades where it was getting dark and I couldn't really use a flash for lighting due to size of the float and entertainers plus distance away.

A fast prime can also give you better subject isolation and bokeh over something F/2.8 should you want it.

The 70-200 mm F/2.8 only got used to get outdoor stage shots of my daughter's dance group.

Thw 16-35mm F/2.8L II didn't get used as much as any of the other lenses but was useful when I wanted shots of my kids in front of something but didn't want to back up too much so as to prevent people from inadvertently walking in front of me while I was taking a shot.

The 600EX-RT flash was useful in character shoots indoors with low light and outdoors to help negate shadows. The highlighting of the character and my daughters with the flash also allowed me to easily darken the background low light areas to eliminate distraction and allow the focal point of the picture to be what I wanted. Plus the flash has a red focus assist light which is useful in some areas as well where there wasn't much other lighting.

that's a lot of gear to carry around all day. another reason to have a mirrorless model when you want to go light.

that's a lot of gear to carry around all day. another reason to have a mirrorless model when you want to go light.

I carried it around for 5 days at DL in a ThinkTank SpeedRacer V2 and wasn't that pained or inconvenienced by it. The shoulder bag has a very well padded waist strap so most of the weight was on my hips as opposed to slung around my neck and on my shoulders.

I brought a lot of lenses as I wasn't sure what or where the items of interest were going to be and how far away I was going to be from them. There was also a spare 7D body in the bag as I was paranoid I wouldn't get anything if the main body died.

Sad to say I'd probably do the same thing again if going back so as not to limit my possibilities (although my wife think's I'm nuts!).

Oh, wow, I think I need a new bag. I have those exact same cameras - 5d and 7d, and same 24-70 and 70-200 lenses. I can't carry my bag with all those for long at all. I have an old Lowe Pro that I love, but those cameras/lenses are HEAVY!

Do you need a nifty fifty since the 5D III is so crazy good at high ISO? Or do you prefer its Bokeh to the f/2.8?

As a 6D user (which has a hair better high ISO performance than the 5DIII) for me the crazy good high ISO doesn't make up for a fast lens in really low light.

OP... I'd leave the 70-200 in the room except for at AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter