Lens Rental Question: Canon 2.8 zoom

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
Many thanks to everyone who helped me out with all my photography questions when my oldest graduated high school 2 years ago. It's that time again.

I rented a 2.8 Canon zoom for my first son's graduation and I'm about to reserve one for this one. I actually have a 2.8 50-150 but it doesn't have IS and really think I need it for this and just don't want to take chances.

I can rent the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM for $59 for a week. Or I can get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II for $84 for the week. I'm pretty much inclined to go cheaper, unless someone can give me a reason for the version II.

Thankfully this is a local company so I won't have any shipping charges.

Thoughts?

Spend the extra money for a once in a lifetime event as the V2 version is much better!

The Digital Picture review compares the two and you can look at comparison images between the lenses. I'M TOO NEW TO POST THE LINK.

I have the Sigma 70-200OS which is probably between the two Canon versions optically.

I have the version ii and love it while I never shot with the version I. Your talking about $32 extra $ for one of the best 2.8 zooms from 70-200. It rivals primes in that range at the same apertures. I heavily cropped images on mine and it is so sharp it still leaves a lot of detail in the image.

Get the II with IS. When using a telephoto, and zoomed in at 200mm (or 320mm on a crop sensor), you will have a tremendous amount of shake on a non-IS lens. You could take a monopod everywhere and use the non-IS, but that would get old real quick.

00CZN2-24179984.JPG

Thanks for the input from everyone. You guys have me talked into trying the version II. (Both options have IS. That much was a given going into this.) I decided I'd also try to take some senior photos of my son while I have it so should go for the better option.

Of course, I went to the web site to see what I need to do to reserve it, only to find out I can't reserve it for a future date. It's just first come, first served. So I guess in a couple weeks I'll just have to see which of the 2 lenses they have in stock and go from there. It appears I might not get a choice after all.

Fingers crossed........

I rented the IS II for my DD college graduation in Dec. We were in an arena and I have to say I got some amazing shots! The pics taken outside after graduation were so sharp and just wonderful. I am renting this lens again for my son's HS graduation in a few weeks. It is well worth it! Good Luck! and Congrats!

If I recall correctly, we may rent from the same outfit (PM me if you're curious). I shot our high school's variety show with the II this year, and last year with its predecessor. Both rented from the same location, and the II was well worth the extra $$

I rented the IS II for my DD college graduation in Dec. We were in an arena and I have to say I got some amazing shots! The pics taken outside after graduation were so sharp and just wonderful. I am renting this lens again for my son's HS graduation in a few weeks. It is well worth it! Good Luck! and Congrats!

If I recall correctly, we may rent from the same outfit (PM me if you're curious). I shot our high school's variety show with the II this year, and last year with its predecessor. Both rented from the same location, and the II was well worth the extra $$

I love everyone's enthusiasm over this lens. :goodvibes I'm convinced I should get the II, now it's just a matter of waiting to see if they have it in stock when I need to get it in about 10 days. Both were out for the last week so it makes me a little nervous, but the II is back in stock. It's just a matter now of waiting and seeing.

I'd love to take shots outside with it after, but probably won't. The 70 end will be too long on my crop sensor body to do much in the crowds unless we hang out a really long time waiting. We're only a few blocks from the auditorium, so maybe we'll take a run up there ahead of time before the crowds hit, then go home to wait for it to start.

At the very least, I'd like to have it long enough to get some shots in another location in the days right before or right after graduation.

And yes, Thurlfan, now that you mention it, I think we rent from the same place here in town. It's nice that I can pick it up in person and avoid the shipping charges.

Just curious, do you guys purchase the insurance when you rent these? I don't remember if I did last time.

Which company did you go with?

It was rentglass.com.

Right now I'm at a loss on what I will do. The version II lens came back in and was gone in a heartbeat. The other one is still not back in. I don't need it until a week from Sunday, so part of me is afraid they will come back in and be gone again before I can get one.

I suppose I could jump on one the minute it shows up, but really don't want to pay for a second week. Right now I'm just watching and waiting. Everyone has me talked into the II, but if I pops up as my only option, I'll probably have to jump on it.

Either that or I'll be budgeting to buy a lens at the last minute. (No, not the Canon version). As much as I've wanted a 2.8 zoom with IS, I really didn't want to buy one right now.

The 200mm fixed f/2.8 at rentglass.com is nice fallback, though not in the same category as the one you're trying for obviously. And do you sign up for the email alerts to let you know when it's back in stock? With all that's going on this time of year I think you'll pretty much have to drop everything and get that critter reserved the instant you get your email notification. I've used it for wrestling and swim meets and had good results in gymnasium/natatorium lighting.

BTW to answer your other question I always spring for the damage waiver. I am a klutz.

The 200mm fixed f/2.8 at rentglass.com is nice fallback, though not in the same category as the one you're trying for obviously. And do you sign up for the email alerts to let you know when it's back in stock? With all that's going on this time of year I think you'll pretty much have to drop everything and get that critter reserved the instant you get your email notification. I've used it for wrestling and swim meets and had good results in gymnasium/natatorium lighting.

I'm hesitant to go for the fixed focal length. I *think* (fingers crossed) we might have reserved seating toward the front of the auditorium. Top 3 students sit on stage and their families have historically had reserved seating down close. Won't know for a few days yet if he stays in the top 3 or if they will do the reserved seating again. So I don't want to hem myself in with too long a lens.

I am signed up for email alerts on both lenses. The II came in and went back out again. The other has not come back in so I imagine it will show up again soon. I work from home and am on my email all the time so should be able to jump on it fairly quickly when it comes back in. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can give me an idea when they expect it back.

I really am just hesitant to lay out $150 for a 2 week rental. Not sure what I'll do if it comes in too soon. But yes, it would seem to me that there is just so much going on this time of year it would be in high demand.

BTW to answer your other question I always spring for the damage waiver. I am a klutz.

I understand. I think I'll probably have to get the waiver cuz I'm right there with you in the clutz department. :)

Someone beat me to it to tell you about signing up for email alerts.

You might check pro photo rental out of Denver (prophotorental.com). They ship UPS at really no extra charge. I found them to be quite reasonable a few years ago. Plus they don't charge you until you receive the lens and it usually comes a day early which is a bonus. Might be something to check out.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll check them out as a back-up option. I am spoiled at not having to pay shipping with local pick-up from Rentglass.com, so it helps to hear about somewhere with reasonable shipping charges.

Just a quick update. Since I started this thread, only one of these lenses has shown available and that was the older version, and even that was only in stock for a nanosecond before going back out again.

I called Rentglass.com last week and they were very helpful. They confirmed that they have several copies of these in circulation and said one was due back Friday with more coming back this week. They also reminded me that when I rent it online for local pickup I have 3 business days to pick it up. So that gave me a little breathing room since my week wouldn't start until I picked it up.

I've been stalking their site (in spite of being signed up for emails) and just found a Version II showing back in stock. I jumped on it and will pick it up Wednesday.

I'm really glad it was the II that showed up first, or I might have felt compelled to take the older version just to be sure I had something.

Now to just keep my fingers crossed that I can come away with some decent shots.

Thanks again for the input everyone!

Glad it showed up for you! They really are nice folks, and I love being able to book it 2-3 days before I pick it up. I'll need something for the night of the 22nd, so time to start stalking...:thumbsup2

Glad it showed up for you! They really are nice folks, and I love being able to book it 2-3 days before I pick it up. I'll need something for the night of the 22nd, so time to start stalking...:thumbsup2

If it's a 2.8 zoom, I'll have this one back on the 21st or 22nd. But it will be early on the 22nd.

I had completely spaced on the 3 day pick-up period, so that was a huge help. The timing could not have been better.

Fingers crossed you find what you need when you need it. :cool1:

Make sure to fully inspect the lens and bring your camera to do some test shots if even before you get in your car and drive away. When I rented last summer I put in on the camera after I visually inspected it and found a blemish in the middle of the lens. Just an FYI.

Make sure to fully inspect the lens and bring your camera to do some test shots if even before you get in your car and drive away. When I rented last summer I put in on the camera after I visually inspected it and found a blemish in the middle of the lens. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the great suggestion Mike! I made sure to bring my camera along today when I picked it up and was able to check it out before leaving the parking lot.

I took it to Baccalaureate tonight and was able to put it through the paces. I have a different strap and bag than I did when I rented 2 years ago, so this was a lot easier to carry around with me. Graduation will be a little tougher since they ask people not to get up and move around. I might have to push the envelope a bit at the end to get some shots of them leaving, but I'll mostly be good. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter