Legoland

Iralyn

Mouseketeer
Considering a dedicated trip to Legoland. DD loved Disney but continues to mention Legoland almost daily (seriously!). I had looked into trying to do Legoland while we were at Disney last summer but it seemed complicated and a little silly when I knew we'd find more than enough to keep us busy at DW. If I had known that the interest in Legoland was not just a passing idea, I might have tried harder to make it happen then. Hindsight's 20/20!

Anyway, I think I might be able to swing heading down for an extended weekend some time over the next year (may plan it based on seat sales).

So here are my questions....

1. Where to stay? I'm thinking that we will pick a hotel in Winter Haven, close to LL. The Legoland Hotel is out of our price range. I've been looking at Hampton Inn Winter Haven and the Holiday Inn Winter Haven as I know they both have shuttles to LL. Are there other convenient (and reasonably priced) hotels I should be considering?

2. Airport transportation? Taxi seems like the only option to get to Winter Haven, unless I'm missing something. Or should I be looking into renting a car?

3. Any recommendations for places to eat or other things to see or do in Winter Haven?

4. I'm guessing that Legoland in July/August would be similar temps/humidity to Disneyworld at that time. We've done Disney then and made the most of it because that was the time that we could go but, honestly, the extreme heat did impact how much we were really able to do on certain days. So my plan is to avoid going to LL in the summer months but if anyone wants to convince me that LL will be different in this respect, I'd love to hear it!

5. Legoland Florida vs California? There is a chance I may be going to a conference in San Diego this summer and an even slimmer chance that I go bring along DD and add on a day at Legoland California. So if anyone wants to give some pros and cons on one vs. the other, I'd be interested in that too.

6. Anything else I need to know about Legoland? :) Blogs or other sites I should be visiting for trip planning? I am actually hoping that this trip can be more laidback than Disney where I can just plan the basics of flights and hotel and we can decide the rest as we go.

:3dglasses:mad::mad::laundy: - from DD

Thanks to anyone for answering any or all of the above!

Can't answer all of your questions, but here's a link to our day there...in August. Man, was it HOT. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=49450477&postcount=100 Honestly, I can't imagine a dedicated trip for it, even for my Lego-obsessed son. It's not very far from Orlando, less than an hour from our house in Windsor Hills.

Also you might find this site helpful; I did. It's run by a dad who lives nearby and is a fan. http://www.legolandphotos.com/index.php Lots of information as well as a good forum where the moderator answered a lot of my questions.

I hope that helps!

Try The Holiday Inn on Hwy 27

In the Mall ( Left Side ) at the junction of Chalet Suzanne ( Eatery about 4 miles away ) Road And

Thompson Nursery Road .

Drive along Thompson Nursery Road & Legoland is off this.

You will need a car to drive to the Hotel as it is about 60 to 70 miles

from Orlando Airport ( MCO ).

We have done both California and Florida Legolands. You are correct in that it is more of a day trip type park. It has none of the complexity of Disney World or Busch Gardens or Universal Studios. I would not purchase a two day ticket. Even with the waterpark it is still a relaxing day trip for us. Please be mindful the park is directed at the maybe 10 and under crowd. Do not expect otherwise with regards to rides and other entertainment. Do not bring thrill seeking teenagers and thrill ride junkies. My daughter was 4 years old when we went to California park and 11 years old when we did the Florida park. As a four year old she played for hours with the available blocks. As an 11 year she enjoyed the miniature exhibits more. Most of the park centers around the miniature exhibits. There are rides but they are not the main attraction. Slowly they are adding more and more rides. Only one ride has significant lines (Lost Kingdom). I would say Florida is a little easier if I would have to compare the two. We always have had a rental car. The Florida park is located in a suburban area. There plenty of mid-range hotels in the immediate area. The Hampton Inn is great. The Legoland Hotel was not yet open last year. There are plenty of Applebee's. Ruby Tuesday, Chilis, Five Guys etc. up and down the road. The California park is a good distance from the downtown area. Fortunately there are lots of shaded areas in the Florida park. You really don't have to spend the entire day in the sun like other parks. We were there the first week of July and it was better there comfort wise than our other stops (Busch Gardens Tampa -HOT!!!) Universal Studios (No Shade). Additionally, you can visit the Cypress Gardens from the Florida Park. Food is the standard amusement park fare at amusement park prices (yikes). Be prepared for sticker shock in the stores. Lego prices are a little higher than Wal-mart, Target. Didn't see any exclusive items that you couldn't find outside the park.

Overall, bring your camera and enjoy the slow pace of the park.

We did do two days there - one mostly full day and one "let's just ride the things we liked best" day. We stayed at Bonnet Creek for 6 nights, did 4 day passes to USF and the 2 day Lego pass. To me, that was the perfect amount of time for each park. My boys LOVED it. They were 11 and 13 (the 13 yo is an Aspie, so emotionally on par with the 11 yo). We are going back to USF this year, but will skip Legoland - the boys are just too old for it. And I would not go to Florida just for Legoland; you need to combine with something, even if it's just beach or resort time.

My answers are in red...
Considering a dedicated trip to Legoland. DD loved Disney but continues to mention Legoland almost daily (seriously!). I had looked into trying to do Legoland while we were at Disney last summer but it seemed complicated and a little silly when I knew we'd find more than enough to keep us busy at DW. If I had known that the interest in Legoland was not just a passing idea, I might have tried harder to make it happen then. Hindsight's 20/20!

Anyway, I think I might be able to swing heading down for an extended weekend some time over the next year (may plan it based on seat sales).

So here are my questions....

1. Where to stay? I'm thinking that we will pick a hotel in Winter Haven, close to LL. The Legoland Hotel is out of our price range. I've been looking at Hampton Inn Winter Haven and the Holiday Inn Winter Haven as I know they both have shuttles to LL. Are there other convenient (and reasonably priced) hotels I should be considering?

2. Airport transportation? Taxi seems like the only option to get to Winter Haven, unless I'm missing something. Or should I be looking into renting a car?
  • I would go with a rental, if only because I like having the flexibility to go where/when I want, but a taxi will take you there.
3. Any recommendations for places to eat or other things to see or do in Winter Haven?
  • Plenty of great little spots in Winter Haven. For Pizza, definitely Pasquale's Pizzeria. It's a family owned place, and the food is great, and very reasonably priced. If you're wanting a steak type, then I would try Manny's. There is a location in Lake Wales and Winter Haven. You should make a reservation though.
4. I'm guessing that Legoland in July/August would be similar temps/humidity to Disneyworld at that time. We've done Disney then and made the most of it because that was the time that we could go but, honestly, the extreme heat did impact how much we were really able to do on certain days. So my plan is to avoid going to LL in the summer months but if anyone wants to convince me that LL will be different in this respect, I'd love to hear it!
  • Exactly the same climate, but far more shade at Legoland.
5. Legoland Florida vs California? There is a chance I may be going to a conference in San Diego this summer and an even slimmer chance that I go bring along DD and add on a day at Legoland California. So if anyone wants to give some pros and cons on one vs. the other, I'd be interested in that too.
  • Never been to the California park so can't help here...
6. Anything else I need to know about Legoland? :) Blogs or other sites I should be visiting for trip planning? I am actually hoping that this trip can be more laidback than Disney where I can just plan the basics of flights and hotel and we can decide the rest as we go.
  • No sites that I know of, but we are Central Florida locals, so I am happy to help in any way I can.

:3dglasses:mad::mad::laundy: - from DD

Thanks to anyone for answering any or all of the above!

They are largely mirrors of each other, replicating most of their staple rides from Cali to Florida. If you are going for thrill, the best ride at either park (and it's only in Cali) is the Knights Tournament. (youtube). This ride was not duplicated in Florida.

As to making a dedicated vacation out of it... We'll make a vacation out of anything. :) If LEGOLAND is what you want to do then by all means. It won't keep you busy for a week... You mentioned an extended weekend getaway and it's perfect for that.

I would second the rental car. It's very small-town, and you'll need to get around. It's one thing if you're staying in Orlando and taking the shuttle down for the day... but if you're making a mini vacation out of it you'll want a car.

Plenty of great little spots in Winter Haven. For Pizza, definitely Pasquale's Pizzeria.

TY... We just might try this one next time!

Last edited:

We have done both California and Florida Legolands. You are correct in that it is more of a day trip type park. It has none of the complexity of Disney World or Busch Gardens or Universal Studios. I would not purchase a two day ticket. Even with the waterpark it is still a relaxing day trip for us. Please be mindful the park is directed at the maybe 10 and under crowd. Do not expect otherwise with regards to rides and other entertainment. Do not bring thrill seeking teenagers and thrill ride junkies. My daughter was 4 years old when we went to California park and 11 years old when we did the Florida park. As a four year old she played for hours with the available blocks. As an 11 year she enjoyed the miniature exhibits more. Most of the park centers around the miniature exhibits. There are rides but they are not the main attraction. Slowly they are adding more and more rides. Only one ride has significant lines (Lost Kingdom). I would say Florida is a little easier if I would have to compare the two. We always have had a rental car. The Florida park is located in a suburban area. There plenty of mid-range hotels in the immediate area. The Hampton Inn is great. The Legoland Hotel was not yet open last year. There are plenty of Applebee's. Ruby Tuesday, Chilis, Five Guys etc. up and down the road. The California park is a good distance from the downtown area. Fortunately there are lots of shaded areas in the Florida park. You really don't have to spend the entire day in the sun like other parks. We were there the first week of July and it was better there comfort wise than our other stops (Busch Gardens Tampa -HOT!!!) Universal Studios (No Shade). Additionally, you can visit the Cypress Gardens from the Florida Park. Food is the standard amusement park fare at amusement park prices (yikes). Be prepared for sticker shock in the stores. Lego prices are a little higher than Wal-mart, Target. Didn't see any exclusive items that you couldn't find outside the park.

Hi big Willie!

I´m going to visit San Diego an L.A. and I hesitate visit Legoland California, two years ago went to Legoland Florida with our 8 year old daugther, (on that time she enjoy the park, but it was no to much enthusiastic for her like Disneyworld o Universal Studios.

Now she´s 10 and I don´t to if go to Legoland is going to be a good choice, because the age of her, because I read California is not big like Florida.

In your experiencie, and with the facts I expose here, what do you recomend me?

Thank you

Santiago

We went to Legoland 4 years ago in July as one day of our week in Orlando. All the other days we spent at Disney. My kids were 11, 9 and 5. They all really enjoyed. It was hot and there were shady spots. We enjoyed the Pirate Ski show. Most rides were walk on. We went on a Sunday and very little crowds even thought it was July 4 week. We drove from our Disney Resort. I do not think we would have had enough to do to stay another day unless we would have done the water park. I am really glad we went when we did - not all my kids say they are too old to go. There is a shutte from the Orlando area. Look on the Legoland site under parking and extras. The summer we went Coco Cola was running a special on their cans where kids got in free with an adult admission. Fortunately someone in line had an extra can they let us use. I think the hotel looks awesome. i my kids were younger I think the resort would make it work the extra day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter