Legoland?

grimley1968

DIS Veteran
This has probably been asked, but I wanted to know if anyone has been to Legoland in Carlsbad?

- Is it worth taking a day off from DL to go down there?
- How is the drive from Anaheim? The directions say to take I-5 (San Diego Freeway) down there.
- Would it be better just to avoid this drive and focus instead on DL?

I've been on the Legoland website, and it looks like there would be a lot of fun, cute stuff for my DD6 and DD2 (almost 3) to do. But I've heard little about this place besides that website.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :thumbsup2

We've gone twice and my kids really enjoyed it. The apple fries are delicious! The second time we went my daughter was 2.5 and quite short for her age. There were so many things she could not go on because of the height requirement. She was quite upset not being able to go with her brother all of the time. There were many more things she could do at Disneyland. I would check Legoland's website for the height requirements to see how much your younger one could do. As for the drive, I can't say since we stayed in Carlsbad on the nights that we visited Legoland. We did drive from Carlsbad to Disneyland (we found we needed another day!) one time and it couldn't have been more than an hour drive.

I just bumped up a couple threads about Legoland. Hopefully these will help. We are big Legoland fans and I'm happy to answer any of your questions. We were just there yesterday :cheer2:

Thanks. I looked at one other thread I saw that had legoland in the title. There seemed to be some confusion about whether there was one in Orlando. I'm pretty sure there is not, since the legoland website only mentions Carlsbad, CA for the entire US.

I think we'll probably give it a shot.

There is only one in the U.S. in Carlsbad (San Diego).

It is a very unique place and really great for younger kids. A more laid-back experience than DL, I'd say. If your kids like legos, it is definitely worth a day of your vacation, in my opinion.

My kids are now 12, 9, and 8. We go to San Diego every other summer, and spent a wonderful day at Legoland in 2002 and again in 2004. Of all the things to do in San Diego (and we've done them all) -- including the beach, which is a huge treat for this midwestern family -- the #1 thing my kids want to do this summer is Legoland. I would've thought they might be outgrowing it by now, but apparently not.

We are huge, huge, huge Legoland fans as well! It is very different than Disney. You will have a great time!

You said you have a 2 year old. When I went with my young 2 year old and 3 year old, my three year old loved it. My 2 year old enjoyed herself, but she could not go on many rides due to height or age restrictions. Also, the rides are set up for one child and one parent to ride. They often will not let one parent take two kids. (I was by myself and it was tough.)

It's a fun park, but I won't b going back until my youngest DD is 3 and tall enough AND my husband is with me.

I haven't measured my 2 YO in a few months, but I'm fairly certain she's above the 36" height now (both of my DDs have been quite tall for their ages). She'll be 2 years, 10 months by the time we go. Most of the ride height restrictions I saw on the Legoland website were 36" or shorter. I think she'll be able to ride most of what we want to ride.

Thanks again, everyone!

DisQueen said:
I just bumped up a couple threads about Legoland. Hopefully these will help. We are big Legoland fans and I'm happy to answer any of your questions. We were just there yesterday :cheer2:

I was wondering if Legoland is a good alternative to Disneyland in a holiday situation, like the friday before Veteran's Day or on weekend days when DL is really busy? This is of course assuming that we will be doing DL during the week also.

Hi -

Just got back on Saturday 4/15--- spent 4 days at DL and 1 day at LL --

Took DS who turned 5 during the trip. DS is HUGE Lego fan --- but told us we would have rather stayed at DL for the additional day!!! Funny but we felt the same.
DS is TALL for his age --47 inches--- most of the rides have a 36 or a 48 inch cut off -- he could not ride many rides by himself. Also... most of the rides seat 2 people only -- so we had to split up most of the time.

The drive took us 2 hours straight down I-5 -- left DLH at 410 arrived in Del Mar (10 miles south of LL) at 615p -- with a brief drink stop on the way -- we did this on Wednesday 4/12.

Hope this helps-

Heidi

We can't wait to visit LL! My son's are huge Lego fans! Huge! As a matter of fact, LL is the whole reason why we are going to DL instead of WDW this summer. I've looked at the LL site and it looks awesome! Can't wait to go! :)

We are going on Sunday!!! :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Plan to get there before opening time and spend the day and then back to DL that night. DS still doesn't know -- it's a surprise for his birthday -- he turns 8 on that day! Does Legoland do anything special for birthdays? :confused3

kwilliams said:
I was wondering if Legoland is a good alternative to Disneyland in a holiday situation, like the friday before Veteran's Day or on weekend days when DL is really busy? This is of course assuming that we will be doing DL during the week also.
Probably, since Legoland's busy days are not as crowded as Disney's busy days. Just watch Saturday am traffic from DL to Legoland. There is only one way south and it can get very busy. It usually takes us 45 minutes door to door, but we made the mistake of going on a Saturday about 10:30 (from our house). It almost doubled the drive time.

DisneyMom&Fan said:
We are going on Sunday!!! :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Plan to get there before opening time and spend the day and then back to DL that night. DS still doesn't know -- it's a surprise for his birthday -- he turns 8 on that day! Does Legoland do anything special for birthdays? :confused3

:banana: :banana: We're going the last Sunday of April. We have family in SD and all they talk about is LL. My 7 yr old DS is more exc
ited, I think, about LL than DL!! (plus we'll be doing LL w/ his fav cousin).

I think we'll be there on that Sunday also, depending on little league schedule. My DS (almost 8) prefers Legoland to DL. Thank goodness DD will hang out at DL with me. If Legoland ever gets princesses it's all over!

I read that it normally takes 45min to an hr to get to LL. Is this accurate? We plan on going to LL, Thurs, June 2nd. We do plan on leaving early from our hotel, DLH....say 7:30am. Is that time 'okay?'

It takes more like 1 1/2 hours from DL. I think I mislead you when I said it takes me 45 minutes. I live about 1/2 hour south of DL, taking into account parking time. You may hit some commuter traffic since you are traveling on a weekday. I hate to be late anywhere so I would leave 2 hours to safely arrive at Legoland on time. If early, you can always drive across from Legoland and have a cup of coffee at McDonalds while the kids play in the outside play area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter