Legoland with 12 yr old?

palpluto

Mouseketeer
My 12 yo son loves Legos and has wanted to go to Legoland. Is 12 too old? Are all the rides kiddie rides?

Not all of them, but maybe just under 2/3rds. There was 1 roller coaster that I wouldn't ride & 1 that I did & took my breath away! And the Cars that they can drive (not on rails) that you have to follow stop signs & stop lights, etc. it is aged from 5 yrs old to 13 yrs old.

Also, seeing the Lego Cities all out of Lego's is pretty cool. I would go back just to see that w/no kids!

The rides ranged from small little coasters & cars on rails & helecopters that went up & down & turned (very slow) & play area's for little ones, water area's, bigger rollercoasters, a few rides that were in water & you had the opportunity to get wet (whether you want to or not), firetruck race to pump the firetruck to the fire & put out the fire (way too much work!), cars that you could drive (not on rails)and even 1 ride that there was no way I was going to spin & move like that (over by the castle) and the cities & such made out of legos - Las Vegas, Statue of Liberty, etc. Wonderful to see, really cool.

So, if this is something that is an option for you I would say do it, he isn't getting any younger!

We were there two summers ago, my 7 year-old son loved it; however, my 10 year old daughter was bored. My husband and I enjoyed the various lego displays, but truthfully the rides were a bore.

We went last month for the first time with my son whom is 6. I thought most of the rides were kiddie rides however Mini land was cool. We are HUGE LEGO freaks, and were disappointed that it was geared for the younger crowd.

The rides are little kid rides for the most part...but the 10 year old boy I was with is a LEGO FREAK and he felt that LL was the BEST park ever. His 12 year old sister was bored to the point of annoying all of us.

If you are looking for thrill rides..not here. The Technic coaster has one worthy hill, the Dragon is one step up from a kiddie coaster..beyond that...pretty mild.

That said, my favorite ride is ToT at DCA, and I ride all the kiddie rides, and I have fun!! You get what you put into it?

So, 12 might be bored..and might find the Lego-ness of it to make up for the kiddie rides!!

Thanks for this thread! I was going to ask. Is it worth a trip out from Chicago? My ds is a Lego lover too.

My DSS, 10, who is a Bionicle FREAK absolutely loves Legoland and can't wait to get back there. Of course, he is not a thrill rider and wouldn't even go on the Bionicle "tea cup" ride!:rotfl2:

We went last month for the first time with my son whom is 6. I thought most of the rides were kiddie rides however Mini land was cool. We are HUGE LEGO freaks, and were disappointed that it was geared for the younger crowd.

Was your DS disappointed with the rides? Is he a thrill ride kind of kid?
I kinda thought 6 was in the younger set. I'm just asking because we are planning to bring my DD6 to Legoland and she does love rides, but thought she would be young enough to really enjoy LL. We are going out of our way to come specifically here, so I just want to make sure it will be worth it for us. We're trying to do more geared toward her age. We will be doing DLR after LL...

LL is like the GREATEST. PLACE. EVER....if you are under the age of 5. And it's pretty cool if you are under 10 or so.

My kids don't even like Legos and they love it. We have chosen to go to San Diego and do Legoland and Seaworld several years in a row as our family vacay and skip DLR all together just because we feel like the whole DLR thing is so much more enjoyable for the kids when they are aged 4+. I know many of you here would disagree, but it works for us to delay the gratification for all!

After two solo big brother trips to DL (when he was 4 and 5), we are FINALLY headed to Disneyland in May with both boys (a fractured trip nonetheless)...first three days big bro (now age 8) and me with my BF and her two big kids, then Dad and little bro (now age 4) show up on day four and we will do a family vacation for the next three together. So me and the big bro get the full week at DLR! Woo hoo!

The big kid rides at Legoland are fun, but I think they have been put in over the years to assuage the big brothers and sisters that get "drug along" to the kiddie park with smaller family members...it's not an end to a means. If you only have 10+ aged kids, and no littles, I wouldn't bother. After several trips there with my kids, I think I'm done with it even if they aren't!! It's not that big. You can definitely bang it out in one day.

That being said, they seem to always be expanding the park, so who knows, maybe someday it will be more "fun for all ages"...I agree, if you have never seen a Miniland anywhere you've got to see it once. Each consecutive time it becomes less amazing, but the first time, you are totally blown away at these "cities" built with Legos.

Yes, loves the thrill rides. He is a huge Lego freak and so is DH. I knew going in that it was more kiddie rides, so we were prepared. We liked Miniland but the quality of everything compared to DL is just not the same. Don't get me wrong, we are glad we went and enjoyed our day but I don't know if we would go back again. The workers were not friendly and staffing was minimal. I was glad it was an off season day because I can't imagine those slow loading rides in the summer.

Was your DS disappointed with the rides? Is he a thrill ride kind of kid?
I kinda thought 6 was in the younger set. I'm just asking because we are planning to bring my DD6 to Legoland and she does love rides, but thought she would be young enough to really enjoy LL. We are going out of our way to come specifically here, so I just want to make sure it will be worth it for us. We're trying to do more geared toward her age. We will be doing DLR after LL...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter