Legoland-a few questions.

Mama Mouse

DIS Veteran
So, my ds really, REALLY wants to go to Legoland.

I hate to give up a Disney day but I really think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some time there during our February trip.

1. I will not have a car-does mears shuttle to Legoland? If not, what's the best cost effective way to get there?

2. What's the best way to get discounted tickets? UCT has them for 60.95 (adult)and 54.45 (child.) Is that the best I'm going to find? I did read somewhere that you can look for free children's ticket promos on small lego packages. Has anyone found this to be true lately?

3. Is this a full day park? My ds will be turning 11 during our trip and loves legos. But hates coaster type rides-even BTMRR so I can tell that there are some rides he won't touch with a ten foot pole. Is it something we should block off an entire day for or is it conceivable to possibly do a Disney park in the evening?

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

We did exactly this during our trip in August and it was a lot of fun. I also have an 11-year-old who is totally LEGO-obsessed. I mean OBSESSED! We stayed at POFQ and had no car either.

We ended up taking a taxi to the Premium Outlet Mall and getting the Lego Shuttle. The shuttle itself is only $5 per person round trip. And the taxi was less than $20 each way. You can book it on Legoland site. When I looked at renting a car, paying for gas and parking, it seemed to be pretty much a wash with four of us going. The shuttle is one of the big buses with very comfortable seats and videos playing. It was fun and easy. The shuttle leaves the outlets at 9:00 and then leaves the park a half hour after closing.

Which kind of leads to your question about how long to allow. If you do the shuttle, you really have no choice in your hours. But it worked fine for us. We squeezed in the water park for a couple hours in the afternoon and had just the right amount of time for everything. Of course, we lucked out and the day we were there the park was completely empty. I mean we walked right onto every ride, all day. It was amazing! I think we had to wait for one roller coaster to fill up once before our turn. Literally, no more than a 5 minute wait all day. So that did allow us to go through all the rides pretty easily, as well as the water park, in one day.

The Minilands are amazing. We could have spent more time there, but it was getting late in the day. We did see it all but didn't spend lots of time studying every detail, if you know what I mean. In February, you probably won't do the water park, so more time to see all those creations.

As for the rides, my 11-year-old is not a super coaster fan either, although he does like BTMRR and ToT. I've never been able to get him on Aerosmith or Everest. He enjoyed every ride there, except for Flying School. That one was rough on everybody! All the other coasters and rides are really geared for young kids, so your son may just enjoy them all. My guys rode the Technic coast 4 or 5 times that day.

I'm not sure about the cheapest tickets. You may look for those little packages. Or does your son get the Lego magazine--there are often buy one adult, get one child free coupons in there.

One major suggestion---try the Apple Fries!!! Delicious!!! Have fun!

So, my ds really, REALLY wants to go to Legoland.

I hate to give up a Disney day but I really think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some time there during our February trip.

1. I will not have a car-does mears shuttle to Legoland? If not, what's the best cost effective way to get there?

Either the shuttle or price out renting a car for a day or two. We always rent a car for the duration of the Disney trip....love the freedom! You can pick one up at the Car Care Center on Disney property.

2. What's the best way to get discounted tickets? UCT has them for 60.95 (adult)and 54.45 (child.) Is that the best I'm going to find? I did read somewhere that you can look for free children's ticket promos on small lego packages. Has anyone found this to be true lately?

There seems to always bee a 'buy one adult/get kid free' ticket promotion. Here is one I found on a quick search. Price out what works best for your family. https://secure4.gatewayticketing.com/legolandflorida/shop/viewitems.aspx?cg=pepsi&c=pepsi

3. Is this a full day park? My ds will be turning 11 during our trip and loves legos. But hates coaster type rides-even BTMRR so I can tell that there are some rides he won't touch with a ten foot pole. Is it something we should block off an entire day for or is it conceivable to possibly do a Disney park in the evening?

Yes, this is a full day park. There may be a ride or two that he won't want to ride, but it is really geared to the 10&under crowd. There are some great non-ride things to do. Most of them are in the Imagination Zone. There were some 'classes' during our visit that you signed up for when the park opened, and filled up pretty quickly (before we realized they were there. The shows area also fun...I enjoyed the waterskii show. Most nights the park closes earlyish...so if there are EMH at a Disney park, you could squeeze that in, after resting on the shuttle/etc. Up to your group!

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Also pay attention to the operating schedule. We tried to go once after it opened, but didn't notice that they had changed their operating schedule to be dark on Tues/Wed...until the day before. Oops! I think they are usually closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during off season.

You can bring some minifigures to trade with their CMs. Pay for the licence at the Drive School, it is a cool souveneir.

If you do rent a car and are interested in only doing a half-day, keep in mind the driving time spent going to/from Legoland. It is only ~35 miles from Disney, but approximately 45-60 minutes each way. Only a portion of that is on I-4, the rest are on roads with traffic lights.

Thanks everyone.

I think I've decided to book a car when I order our tickets from UCT. I can get a pretty small car for ~35 for the day. I don't know if we'll stay the whole day or not but the thought of being that far from our room at Disney and not being able to leave if we wanted or needed to really bothers me.

Check legoland website for discounts.
I bought tickets online the night before our visit in August. It was buy an adult ticket get kid ticket free. and the kids got a free chima toy. Not sure if that is still going on but you should check.
Also lego's magazine had bogo coupons if you know someone who gets that.

We loved Legoland!! Not crowded at all for us. The chima ride was a blast but you got soaked!
Enjoy!

Check legoland website for discounts.
I bought tickets online the night before our visit in August. It was buy an adult ticket get kid ticket free. and the kids got a free chima toy. Not sure if that is still going on but you should check.
Also lego's magazine had bogo coupons if you know someone who gets that.

We loved Legoland!! Not crowded at all for us. The chima ride was a blast but you got soaked!
Enjoy!

Holy cow! WE get that magazine. I feel so silly, it never even crossed my mind! I may have to wait until we get our next issue or two because I just threw a bunch in recycling the other day. Cannot believe this whole concept never even occurred to me. :sad2:

Holy cow! WE get that magazine. I feel so silly, it never even crossed my mind! I may have to wait until we get our next issue or two because I just threw a bunch in recycling the other day. Cannot believe this whole concept never even occurred to me. :sad2:

The best price we ever found was a special put out by Legoland on their website. The best price always available is the b1g1 in the magazine you mentioned. Ask some other moms if they have their magazines. A friend of mine got her tickets from AAA and at the time it was pretty good. You just have to shop around a little.

When we went I had planned for a particular day of the week. It was off season and Legoland was closed mid week. Well I checked again the Sunday before and they had changed hours last minute and were now open midweek. Needless to say the park was empty :cool1: We were there at opening, skipped the roller coasters and the indoor lego building places and we left around 3pm. There was no water park at that time.

I got lucky and found a few copies I hadn't gotten rid of yet. Scored a great coupon so now I just have to decide which day and we're set!

We subscribe to both Lego magazines (both free) and most come with a coupon...buy one ticket, get a child's free. So sign up now, to get your magazine, because the coupons are good for several months. On Legoland's website, you can also get discounted tickets if you choose you specific day, but you have to buy it 48 hours prior to your visit.

I got lucky and found a few copies I hadn't gotten rid of yet. Scored a great coupon so now I just have to decide which day and we're set!

GREAT!

If your son likes minifigures be sure to bring some for trading. It was a great part of our day there. The employees are not as friendly as Cms with pin trading. But my son got some nice minifigures.
Look out for the ambassador who wears a blue vest covered in minifigures to trade.
Be sure to check out the bargain shop as well.

FYI, for anyone else who's considering a trip to Legoland, I just bought a Legoland calendar at Costco this week, and it has a BOGO Adult/Child coupon on it as well.

Any chance you're homeschoolers? If so, there's an amazing rate as long as you go on a Monday and preregister and show proof. It's only $8 per homeschooled child and $25 for the others!

We have never been but will be there later this month. My eldest is a 10.5 year old boy and I expect it to be an all-day park. I'm actually worried that one day might not be enough, but that's all we are doing. (I also have a 4 and 7 year old though, so we have to focus on everyone! My eldest is not into thrill rides, but the 7 year old is).

Any chance you're homeschoolers? If so, there's an amazing rate as long as you go on a Monday and preregister and show proof. It's only $8 per homeschooled child and $25 for the others!

We have never been but will be there later this month. My eldest is a 10.5 year old boy and I expect it to be an all-day park. I'm actually worried that one day might not be enough, but that's all we are doing. (I also have a 4 and 7 year old though, so we have to focus on everyone! My eldest is not into thrill rides, but the 7 year old is).

What proof do you have to show that you are a home schooler?

GREAT!

If your son likes minifigures be sure to bring some for trading. It was a great part of our day there. The employees are not as friendly as Cms with pin trading. But my son got some nice minifigures.
Look out for the ambassador who wears a blue vest covered in minifigures to trade.
Be sure to check out the bargain shop as well.

Is he in a certain place or just walking around?

Does anyone know if it's allowed to use 2 BOGO Adult/Child coupons? It would be 2 adults, 3 kids.

I also homeschool my oldest child, so am curious about proof. Would something like an approved IHIP or a letter stating the school has received my quarterly report work?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter