Legal question

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
I've been following a local criminal case. Mostly by reading the events on the court's website. What does it mean when it says 'Matter comes before the Court for Hearing. Matter is continued and reset for Hearing and the
appearance of the Attorney General."

My thought is that it can't be good for the defendant but I'm really not sure.

The defendant had a fitness hearing when this first started 1 1/2 years ago. He's asked for many continuances and most recently he asked to suppress evidence and statements, to exclude evidence and now use an Affirmative Defense

Any thoughts if this is why the Attorney General is going to appear?

No, it's nothing. The hearing was simply adjourned because the Attorney General didn't come to court to appear before the judge.

As for the attorney general...you'd have to tell me what the charges are and what kind of case it is.

I had a case, years ago, where the defendant was charged with Medicare Fraud. Statute said the US Attorney could file criminal charges against him for fraud, or the US attorney could pursue a claim to recoup the amounts wrongfully paid by Medicare to the defendant.

When I was handling surety bonds, and we'd discover an employee stealing from the company, we'd appear at the criminal proceedings to request that any sentence include a provision that the defendant repay the employer for the amounts he stole.

The saying "The wheels of justice move slowly" is an understatement. What you are seeing is just what the first reply said.
My bosses get all excited about certain cases, and we send someone over to cover it, and many hearings, especially early on, last seconds. Literally long enough for one side or the other to say "We would like a 3 month continuance", ...the Judge asks the other side if they object, they say no, and the hearing is over.
Of course, the flip side is, if they secretly reach a plea bargain agreement, all of a sudden a defendant pleads guilty, and the Judge sets another hearing date while he decides if he is going to sign off on the plea bargain.

As for the attorney general...you'd have to tell me what the charges are and what kind of case it is.

I had a case, years ago, where the defendant was charged with Medicare Fraud. Statute said the US Attorney could file criminal charges against him for fraud, or the US attorney could pursue a claim to recoup the amounts wrongfully paid by Medicare to the defendant.

When I was handling surety bonds, and we'd discover an employee stealing from the company, we'd appear at the criminal proceedings to request that any sentence include a provision that the defendant repay the employer for the amounts he stole.

The charges are Child Abduction/Lure < 16 years old

There was a court date yesterday. The website for the court was updated to show "09/11/2013 CF - Status Continued
People of the State of Illinois present by Assistant State's
Attorney, ----Defendant present in person and by
Attorney----, . Matter comes on for hearing. Motion of
the Defendant, matter is continued and reset for status."

What does "reset for status" mean?

Looks like everyone showed up in court but the hearing or conference was rescheduled.

There's a lot of stuff on the court docket like this.

The attorney general sometimes takes over for the district attorney's office when there is some kind of a conflict

The case is still dragging on. The most recent update on the court website shows "Motion to Find Child Abduction Statute Unconstitutional"

:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter