• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LeCellier disappointing! and other dining reviews

jenny-d

Mouseketeer
We just got back from our trip and I have to say that LeCellier was definitely the worst dining experience we had on our vacation. First we had to wait 45 minutes for our ADR which made DH in a bad mood. The pretzel bread was boring. The cheese soup was ok, salad was ok, my filet was ok but not great and DH's was WAY overcooked. I've had much better meals at a chain steakhouse like Outback or Longhorn. The raspberry sorbet for dessert was the best part of the meal. All in all it was disappointing after all the great reviews I've read and it's crazy popularity. The hostess said they weren't even taking any reservations for the rest of June or July. We were on the DP and the total bill for the 4 of us (myself, DH, DD6, DS4) was $140.11. I'd expect way better for that price!
On the other hand, we had great experiences at CRT, Whispering Canyon, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose, and Chef Mickey's. 1900 Park Fare was somewhat disappointing and Concourse Steakhouse was terrible. Cosmic Ray's was our favorite for CS. Also enjoyed Pecos Bills, Pizzafari, and Pizza Planet. If anyone wants any specific info about any of the places we dined at--I'd be happy to answer. I just don't have time to write long reviews of them all!!! I was impressed with the new choices for snacks. We easily used all of our snack credits and TS but were left with 4 CS somehow.

Hi,
Would you mind elaborating a little on 1900 Park Fare? We have an ADR sch. and I am debating whether to keep it.

BTW - I agree about LeCellier. But I couldn't decide what dissappointed me more 1. the food in general or 2. the food after hearing all hype. But I figure everyplace has off nights so I am going to try them again in December.

I'm glad to hear you liked Mama Melrose, Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, and Whipsering Canyon because we're going to all those places in July! Beyond your previously mentioned long wait at Le Cellier, did you have any other long waits in spite of ADRs?

I've mentioned on here many times that Le Cellier is very inconsistent. I always recommend Chefs de France in Epcot for this reason. We've never been disappointed at Chefs, but we've had some great meals & some not good at all meals at LC. Sorry, your's was in the not so great category. :guilty:

Yeah, add me into the 'hated it' category at Le Cellier! Really, who wants to eat in the cellar? It's dark, for us so dark we couldn't see our food (meat was raw, didn't know until we bit into it, ewwww!), waited forever, etc.

On the other hand, we've been to 1900 Park Faire about 6 times now and have never been disappointed.

Love the italian restaurant in EPCOT, too, especially when we get to dine outside. Ah, al fresco!

jenny-d said:
We just got back from our trip and I have to say that LeCellier was definitely the worst dining experience we had on our vacation. First we had to wait 45 minutes for our ADR which made DH in a bad mood.

Would you mind telling me what time your ADR was? Thanks

I tried LeCellier in March because of all the hype and really enjoyed it. I messed up our ADR time but ended up being taken in right at our time; I did not find it dark or claustrophobic; the pretzel bread was great although I agree that the much-hyped cheese soup was nothing special. My DD and I split the maple BBQ filet and it was tender and cooked exactly as we like it; our server was excellent; very attentive and made some excellent wine suggestions. We had the dessert sampler and the maple creme brulee was sooooo good. I will definitely eat there again.

DisneyBaby2004 said:
Hi,
Would you mind elaborating a little on 1900 Park Fare? We have an ADR sch. and I am debating whether to keep it.

BTW - I agree about LeCellier. But I couldn't decide what dissappointed me more 1. the food in general or 2. the food after hearing all hype. But I figure everyplace has off nights so I am going to try them again in December.

We waited about 20 minutes for our 7:20 dinner ADR for Park Fare. Fairy Godmother was in the lobby and inside circulating were Cindy, Prince Charming, and the 2 mice. Buffet was ok--I guess again it was that I had read such good reviews that I was expecting more. IMO, Crystal Palace was better for dinner. Hope this helps...

Tam1067 said:
I'm glad to hear you liked Mama Melrose, Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, and Whipsering Canyon because we're going to all those places in July! Beyond your previously mentioned long wait at Le Cellier, did you have any other long waits in spite of ADRs?

We only waited at LeCellier and Park Fare--the others all took us within 5 minutes. I loved all of the ones you mentioned--my favorite was Whispering Canyon--my kids had a blast and the food was excellent. The bottomless milkshake was one (or two!) of the best I've ever had! BTW, they let us have it as a drink or dessert on the DP.

I like the same restaurants as the OP. I also was dissapointed with LeCellier, tough steak, small cold portions. Park faire is ok but Crystal Palace is better IMHO.

wow, I am sorry you had a negative experience at LC, we have been 3 times (different times of year) and have yet to be disappointed.

Having said that I do wonder if we are our own worst enemies ...... we rave about a restaurant and then unwittingly on everyone's part it gets put on a pedestal which no restaurant could ever hope to achieve, so leading to disappointment .......

just a thought.

We were disappointed with Le Cellier too - I know we are in the minority, so presumed it was an off night. The creme brullee was just amazing though, but why are they so small(anywhere, that is not just Le Cellier)???? :confused3 Booked for Le Chefs next time. :teeth:

Could you please tell me a bit about WCC and Mama Melrose. We have an ADR at each - at WCC we will be ordering off the menu and for MM we have the Fantasmic Package. THanks. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Too bad you had a bad night at LC. I hope we get a good one b/c we are trying it for the first time in August and I can't WAIT! :)

Beth

It does seem that Le Cellier is very inconsistent! Its funny because the post above this one is mine and its titled "will sell first born for dinner at le cellier." Me and the BF, foodies, have proclaimed it the best meal we have ever had!

deany said:
Could you please tell me a bit about WCC and Mama Melrose. We have an ADR at each - at WCC we will be ordering off the menu and for MM we have the Fantasmic Package. THanks. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Check out my post for reviews of these. Both are great eats!

deany said:

Oooooh, we had one of the worst experiences ever at Mama Melroses :sad2: .

I wrote another thread about the whole disastrous experience, back in february. Suffice it to say that Disney ended up writing us an apology letter and sending 100 worth of Disney Dollars.

And in 40+ trips to Disney we'd never complained about anything, but this experience was baaaaaaaad.

If you're doing the fantasmic package, I'd go with Hollywood and Vine instead. That way, you get in, get your food at your pace (it's a buffet) and you'll get out in time for the show.

We MISSED fantasmic with a 4:10 seating at MM. Unbelievable.

We ate at LeCellier in May and everything was great except our service. The food was really good, not the best i've had at disney but Good.

deany said:

I really enjoyed Mama Melrose despite that it was the day Alberto came! We had a great attentive server Stephanie. We were also doing the Fantasmic package (which wound up being a bust because it was cancelled about 15 minutes into it) but it seemed like it would work well if the weather cooperated! We shared the 4 cheese flatbread which was excellent and they had a good family style salad. DH and I both had the chicken parm which was very good--DH said it needed more sauce. I had the tiramisu for dessert which was AWESOME! I'd go back just for that alone!

WCC was also a great experience and I went in a little skeptical because I wasn't feeling that great that day and I was very tired and didn't feel like doing all the antics! I can't remember our server's name but she was great and funny--DD6 and DS4 thought the whole thing was a hoot. (especially the ketchup and the straws) I ordered the chocolate milkshake for my drink which was honestly one of the best I've ever had. It was on the small side but free refills :sunny: I ordered the salad for my app which was a little boring. I got the roasted chicken for my entree which came with mashed potatoes (which were yummy) and baked cinnamon apples (yummy too). Too much food but it was excellent. I planned to get the apple cobbler for dessert but I didn't have room. :rotfl: DH ordered the nachos for his appetizer which were very good and he got the sirloin for his entree which he said was better than LeCellier or Concourse! (of course that wasn't saying much from our experience!) but he said it was a pretty good steak. It was a little pricey--$105.19 including tax and tip for 2 adults and 2 children. (we were on the DP)

Hope this helps! I don't think you'll be disappointed...

Sorry you didn't enjoy LeCellier. We love it there. In fact, I could make a meal out of the pretzel breads and cheese soup!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter