• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leavings kids in room alone at night

There are a lot of DISers who book balcony rooms with an inside room across the hall for the kids. I'm often surprised at how young the kids are that sleep in that room alone. Granted, it's more than one, but I've seen it posted with the oldest child being 9 or under. We're going to do this for the first time in 2012, but by then our kids will be ages 17 through 10.

This always surprises me. We had two staterooms booked on our last cruise. Dh, myself and DS (7) slept in one and our two DDs (15 and 16) slept in the other BUT they were next door to each other. Had they been on a different deck or even further down the corridor, I wouldn't have been comfortable letting them sleep in the room without an adult, more in case of an emergency in the night. I would be worried that they would panic and not be able to find their muster point.

Do you rember several years ago the family who lost the little girl they left while going to dinner within the resort they were staying in? I dont think they ever found her! And if I knew someone left a youg child like that alone Id report them. You cant leave a child that age in your car, or home alone.

According to Disney cruise lines 8 year olds are free to check themselves in and out of the clubs as they see fit. I would be MUCH more comfortable leaving my 9 year old in a locked room by herself than allowing her to wander the ship as she pleases. If she had a walkie talkie and I wasn't far away, and she was asleep, sure I would do it for an hour or so. Flame away. I know plenty of 9 and 10 year olds who babysit (not my kids, I think it's too young, but I know lots of people who do it). I really don't think it's a big deal.

I agree. PLENTY of people give their kids the in and out privileges and the kids hang out during the day in the room alone. What exactly is the difference? Granted, my DS9 will sleep through ANYTHING and the deadbolt scares me the most...but if you trust your child to have in and out privileges, and you set rules, I don't think it's worth judging others.

And where I'm from in Illinois, hardly any 4th graders (age 9 or 10) even have access to after-school child care. So plenty of kids are in a huge house with more dangers than what's in a stateroom.

Do you rember several years ago the family who lost the little girl they left while going to dinner within the resort they were staying in? I dont think they ever found her! And if I knew someone left a youg child like that alone Id report them. You cant leave a child that age in your car, or home alone.

An earlier poster mentioned her - Madeleine McCann. I googled her last night when this thread started up and ended up in tears reading through the website her family constantly maintains to try to find her. It has been almost 3 and a half years. :(

An earlier poster mentioned her - Madeleine McCann. I googled her last night when this thread started up and ended up in tears reading through the website her family constantly maintains to try to find her. It has been almost 3 and a half years. :(

I had forgot her name. Thank you.
My Husband Have been very tempted on vacation to leave the kids and go. Just couldnt risk it.

I agree. PLENTY of people give their kids the in and out privileges and the kids hang out during the day in the room alone. What exactly is the difference? Granted, my DS9 will sleep through ANYTHING and the deadbolt scares me the most...but if you trust your child to have in and out privileges, and you set rules, I don't think it's worth judging others.

I agree.

People just have different limits for risk-taking. I'm the type of person who is unwilling to take many personal safety risks at all. I don't even drive to the end of my street without my seat belt on and my car doors locked, epipens in my purse (I have a severe food allergy). I didn't feel like anyone here was judging the OP. The OP was genuinely interested in people's opinions and experience and I think the discussion is a good one. MOST things we fear in life will never happen, but each individual has to weigh the cost/benefit to each action they take.

As for children being allowed to sign in and out of clubs during the day (or even hanging out in the stateroom while awake), I see that as a very different issue. During the day there will be tons of people out and about who might spot something amiss or who could help a lost or confused child. At night time, a sleeping child alone in a room is IMO very vulnerable to anyone who may be up to no good..

I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing it - I know some kids are very responsible at a young age and others are dead asleep until the morning but I personally worry about the "emergency situation" - let's face it - anything can happen at any time. If there was an emergency on the ship and you were one place and couldn't get back to your cabin your child would be all alone and not know whether to stay in the room or go to the assigned assembly station - someplace you also may not be able to get to. Not to mention the fright / mental trauma that would cause a child. I would put my child in the kids club (as many have said) because at least there, they are not alone and there are procedures in place in the event of an emergency.
Yes I'm the worry wart (comes from being a nurse I suppose.....) but 9/11 changed my perspective on many things- even 9 years later...

I've been cruising for 35 years. Back in the 70s, my parents would leave my younger sister and I alone in the cabin to sleep every night (aged 3 and 6). Although, the ship had a night nurse who checked on registered cabins every hour until the parents arrived back.

That said, I wouldn't leave my 9yo alone in a cabin at might (and he too is up at the crack of dawn). With his very responsible 13yo sister -yes.

Cheers,
Sally :)

Never! Too nervous wouldn't enjoy myself. Would worry the whole time and the list goes on. Mine are 9 and 11 and I don't let them alone at our home so I would not let them alone a huge ship with a thousand people I do not know. Too much could happen, they have a bad dream, wake up crying, want you leave the room to find you...

I left my 9 year old in the kids club and when I wold pick him up late at night, he was sound asleep in front of the big tv screen.

In current times you really have to be extra vigilant, especially when it comes to kids. Believe it or not there are disgusting people out there gathering information on families (which is too readily available IMO) waiting for a moment of opportunity to exploit a child. This has happened on cruise ship before and you never know if your child is a target. I may be a little overprotective but I will never apologize for protecting my children. Having said that, it is ultimately your decision but I would at least consider the kids club for peace of mind.

We all have different parenting styles and know our children. Talk to your child and see what their take on it is, if leaving them is an option. See how they feel about it and take their lead on things. Talk about ship safety, talk about all the what "if's".

The lab is open late so that is an option as well.

Once on-board, see what your comfort level is and go from there.

But once again you know your family, children and comfort level is. What works for some may not work for others.

From an FBI excerpt:

"If you are going to go on a cruise, you want to treat it like you are going to a small city," says David Hearn, a supervisory special agent in the FBI's Indian Country/Special Jurisdiction Unit, which coordinates with field offices and the FBI's legal attachés overseas to investigate crimes on the high seas. "You don't know the people on a cruise ship. You don't know who's in the cabin next to you. Crime doesn't stop just because you are on a boat."

If you decide to leave your sons or daughters alone in the stateroom, I suggest you do not mention it to anyone. As you can see from this thread if you mention it to someone, a large number of people will call you neglectful. It really does not matter the age of the child, some will call you neglectful right up to the point your children are married.

For some kids the first time they can do something without supervision is college. If you believe colleges, they are now having problems of parents calling administrators and professors on behalf of their supposedly grown children.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. You know your child best!

And where I'm from in Illinois, hardly any 4th graders (age 9 or 10) even have access to after-school child care. So plenty of kids are in a huge house with more dangers than what's in a stateroom.

Hey Lisa - WOW, I thought it was early enough here in CT where I live where our after school program stops after 5th grade. I am 2 years away from that, but am already freaking out about my 2 kids home alone for a few hours when they are in 6th grade! 4th grade would put me over the edge (they are in 4th now!)

I would recommend that everyone take their kids to a "stranger danger" self defense course if you even think about leaving them alone for any length of time (at home or on a cruise). Many police agencies and even karate schools offer these classes free.

As a side note, my 13YO daughter who did this at 10 is now close to a black belt. I don't worry much about her (I still worry some).

I couldn't agree more about the deadbolt scaring me more than someone breaking in to the stateroom. You can kill yourself with paranoia.

Everyone's kids are different. If you are comfortable with it, then go ahead. If not, then take your child to the kids' club. You will not be able to relax with your DH and enjoy the ship if you are worrying about your child. We would leave ours alone, but we have 3 and our oldest is almost 15. With an only child, it might make all of you feel better to use the kids' club.

I have always wondered why people put their kids pictures on this forum.:eek:
As much as I love reading trip reports on this forum, I think parents should be really careful posting kids photos. :confused3. JMHO

What kind of concerns me is that on this open forum, for all the world to see, people are frequently posting all kinds of photos and identifying information, including their vacation date, kids' ages and sometimes even their room number. I've done some of that myself. :(

I'm pretty trusting generally speaking, but it only takes one sick individual to take advantage of this information for illicit purposes...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter