Leaving your child on the ship?

Just because it's possible we wouldn't do it because of an emergency. Plus our honest opinion is it's a FAMILY vacation. Leaving a child in the club doesn't make it a family cruise. We look it as doing things as a family no matter what age and once the kids move out of the house, it becomes an adult vacation.

All of our vacations are "family vacations" but on a cruise it's extra super so in that we each get to do whatever we'd like for the day. We usually plan an excursion du jour with ALL of us then DH & I go to the pool or go shopping while DS goes to the club or to a movie or whatever HE wants to do. He absolutely LOVES being able to choose whatever HE wants to do as it's HIS vacation too!! THAT is one of the best things about a cruise. If he wants to sit in the room & watch a movie while we're at Palo he can. If he wants to go the theater to see whatever's playing HE CAN. If we're on CC and the club is going back to the ship he can go if he wants. It's a marvelous independence and gives them such a feeling of being "grown up" enough to choose their activity. I don't want to force him to be with us 24/7 if we're not doing something he wants to do. On a land based vacation tho w/o out any supervision that's the way it has to be.

Well our DD (4) did not want to leave "her" ship (her words not mine) at any port except castaway key. We told the club staff we were leaving the ship and about how long we would be gone. Not a porblem at all. The only issue DD had at all was she bumped her head on the first sea day, the page read and I quote "Taylor hit her head but doesn't want to leave". At that point we knew she felt comfortable with the ship and crew.

Michael

Does anyone know how the staff handles meals/snacks if you leave the children through lunchtime?

I see that lots of people have left young children on the boat for shorter excursions (2-4 hours), but is it crazy to think that we could go on a Mediterranean excursion in the morning where the scheduled return is in the afternoon ... leaving a 4-year-old on the boat under the care of the kids clubs?

I am in the camp of not leaving my kids - but then i haven't been on a cruise yet! For me the reason behind it is not that i worry about something happening to them - i would but i know DCL would be able to handle it, know there are medical facilities, know they could get hold of me if needed (i would book a DCL excursion) etc. i have no problem with that but i just keep going over in my head what if something happened to me while i was on the excursion to prevent me getting back on the boat. i don't mean being late, i mean if i was in a car accident or mugged or something ridiculous like that! ( i know this is extreme and i'm not expecting agreement - i know it sounds stupid!) The thing is it's just me and my kids so if something happens to me, who looks after them if i can't get back on the boat? ( honestly a few hours is a bit different to a few days!) or would someone bring them off to me? It's that that i can't get my head round. As i said i know my thinking is extreme but hey ho! I am hoping to have a few hours in the spa on my own and certainly have no problems leaving them in the clubs - i'm sure they'll love them. As for the length of excursion, if i was to leave them (if i wasn't so neurotic!!) i would prob be ok for a few hours but not sure i could leave them all day - again not saying anyone who does is wrong, just what i think. There is a difference in leaving them at school or day care generally because even if you can't get back to them quickly in an emergency you have other emergency contacts who should be able to (at least that's how it works in England) and you wouldn't (generally) on the boat

This is a debate my DH and I are having. We are going on a family cruise and want to spend time together as a family, but I also know my kids and they will be over the excursions and ports very fast. I guess we will play it by ear and see how we feel at that time.

liberty-- I am right there with you. My biggest fear is something tragic happening to one of us while we are off the ship and our kids still on it by themselves hundreds of miles from family.

Does anyone know how the staff handles meals/snacks if you leave the children through lunchtime?

The club/lab have scheduled meal times for lunch and dinner and are listed in the Personal Navigator. Any child in the programming when it's time for a meal will go to the designated meal location (usually Animators for lunch and Topsiders/BBB for dinner) and have food. If you have notified the programming about any allergies they are also handled at the restaurant.

Absolutely ok to leave your child in the clubs and head out on an excursion. When our DD was yoounger, we took her with on all excursions. In fact we spent nearly $100 for her on the Atlantis submarine in Grand Cayman only to have her fall asleep 1/2 way through when she was 4. We look at our Disney Cruise as a family vacation-family time, but also a vacation for each and every one of us. Our DD loves playing and interacting with children her own age and doing fun activities in the clubs. It's more fun for her to enjoy an activity than take a tour on the history of a port. It's her vacation to, and we now let her choose...this past cruise she decided to go back on board and into the clubs after dinner, and we headed back out into Key West for a few hours. Fun for all!

I am in the camp of not leaving my kids - but then i haven't been on a cruise yet! For me the reason behind it is not that i worry about something happening to them - i would but i know DCL would be able to handle it, know there are medical facilities, know they could get hold of me if needed (i would book a DCL excursion) etc. i have no problem with that but i just keep going over in my head what if something happened to me while i was on the excursion to prevent me getting back on the boat. i don't mean being late, i mean if i was in a car accident or mugged or something ridiculous like that! ( i know this is extreme and i'm not expecting agreement - i know it sounds stupid!) The thing is it's just me and my kids so if something happens to me, who looks after them if i can't get back on the boat? ( honestly a few hours is a bit different to a few days!) or would someone bring them off to me? It's that that i can't get my head round. As i said i know my thinking is extreme but hey ho! I am hoping to have a few hours in the spa on my own and certainly have no problems leaving them in the clubs - i'm sure they'll love them. As for the length of excursion, if i was to leave them (if i wasn't so neurotic!!) i would prob be ok for a few hours but not sure i could leave them all day - again not saying anyone who does is wrong, just what i think. There is a difference in leaving them at school or day care generally because even if you can't get back to them quickly in an emergency you have other emergency contacts who should be able to (at least that's how it works in England) and you wouldn't (generally) on the boat

This is completely how I feel. I am an anxious person & always think the worst that could happen. I would be anxious something happened to the kids while we were off ship. I would be very anxious of the ship sailing off w/our kids w/o us or something bad happening to us & then what. We refuse to go on snorkeling excursions for this sake.

We asked the question regarding "What if something happens?" when we did an adult only excursion. They took information on where we would be and simply stated, they would deal with the emergency as best as possible. They assured us that they are very good at little emergencies like upset child or potty accidents. On the brights side, I would think full blown emergencies are rare in the confines of the clubs.

Although I realize that a foreign country is not the same, I have left my child every weekday for 9 years when I go to work. To me, it's not really that different. In fact I feel pretty confident Disney kids club employees are as qualified, if not more so, in child care than are some of the people I've left my kid with. Everyone should do what is right for their child(ren) and their family.

Although I realize that a foreign country is not the same, I have left my child every weekday for 9 years when I go to work. To me, it's not really that different. In fact I feel pretty confident Disney kids club employees are as qualified, if not more so, in child care than are some of the people I've left my kid with. Everyone should do what is right for their child(ren) and their family.

I think it's the fact that the Disney Day Care is on a moving boat that could sail off without me that gives me pause :eek:
With one Disney cruise now under my belt, I think I'd be more comfortable with this than before we cruised, but my kids didn't like the kids clubs that much, so this cruise I'm just trying to get them to stay while we have a date night on the ship! I think because they know they can page us they do. This time I'll tell them they can't page us until after xx activity, then they know the timeframe we'll be away.

Since we are only on a 3 nighter this time we won't leave our kids in the clubs while we are off the ship, but who knows next time...

A lot of good points made here.
For us, we never even thought about leaving a child(ren) on the ship when we were on excursions- partly because we just always did excursions together and partly because we just didn't know that was allowed! LOL

I think I was probably far more scared going off the ship with 3 kids by myself (while DH went scuba diving) than I would be at this point leaving our youngest (not so young anymore! 10yrs old) on the ship while we did something she absolutely has no interest in doing. All we've done so far is on Castaway Cay she went back to the ship in the afternoon (after spending the entire day with her) to go to the room and order room service and watch a movie (club not open for that short time) while we FINALLY made a little trip to serenity bay. We'd been there several times and never laid eyes on it yet!
She did fine.... and on our upcoming trip we decided at one port we're going to be all scuba diving, except her. She refuses to go and even stay on the boat while we dive. So what can we do? Scuba diving is DH's main interest and everyone else wants to also.... it's 4 against 1. 4 family member's wishes/desires vs. 1. It would be unfair to make 4 family members miss out on something they really wish to do, just to stick together like glue when one doesn't want to. She's fine with either being in the lab during that time instead of going with us and sitting on the boat (refuses to scuba dive or snorkel also, in case I need to clarify that LOL) She'll be fine. And it was her decision.

I might not feel so comfortable with that if she was younger and might flip out at some point while we're gone. I'd hate to be gone for a couple of hours of her crying for us or something of that nature if she was younger... but that's up to the family and knowing their child and knowing if their child would do that. She's not that little anymore, and she's made her decision. We are allowing PLENTY of time to get back before the ship leaves though. I think I'll feel safer with her on the ship while we're all scuba diving than I did that time I took the kids off the ship myself while DH was off scuba diving all day... but the one fear I still have is not making it back to the ship in time so we've allowed a LOT of time leeway to avoid the possiblity of that happening.

It's a personal decision- and honestly I can see why many who haven't cruised yet are deadset against it. They don't even know what it's going to be like, what their comfort level is going to be on the ship, how their child is going to take to flounders or the club or the lab, etc. Before our first cruise? I'd definitely had said NO NEVER!!! but eh... things change. :)

The only problem we ever had with the Oceaneer's Club is the kids did not want to leave when we went to pick them up!

~Mike

We don't leave the boat except for Castaway Cay so I didn't know how they would handle that. However, it seems the question's been answered, but I wanted to add to the (mostly friendly) debate.

My husband, our then three year old, and I went on a 3 night last September. My husband had taken a job where he was in Iraq and we only saw him every 3-5 months for about 2 weeks at a time. We put our son in the Oceaneer Club, but then missed started to get all emotional because we missed being a family. My son was not happy to leave the clubs so it was mostly for us, lol.

For this next cruise (4 night next month, woohoo) my husband has been home permanently since December. We've discussed that we are going to let our son stay in the clubs all day if he wants. We're really looking forward to having some one on one time together. We've booked a bunch on Palo, plan on getting coffee at the Cove in the morning, going to the clubs at night. It will definitely help we will be at WDW for the week before and two days after (so lots of family time).

Just because you're parents doesn't mean you have to be permanently accompanied by your children. I'm not saying family time isn't important, but so is couple time.

I hope none of this sounded rude. I didn't mean it to be.

Regarding meals in the clubs, the staff no longer takes the children to the buffet, at least on the Magic. We were told that too many parents complained about their children not being in the clubs when they went to pick them up, so the kids never leave anymore, not to go to lunch or dinner, not to visit the "secret" deck, not to play ball on the sports court. I think that is a shame, since the kids are far more limited in food selections (my son didn't eat lunch one day because he doesn't like macaroni and cheese, and that was what was offered. We were on the ship but at Palo or something while he had lunch there), and since there is less variety of activities possible. The transitions and locations had been clearly marked on the Navigators, so parents who needed to find their kids should have been able to do easily. The club staff who told us about this change was upset because she had really enjoyed taking the kids to different areas on the ship for various activities.

I think everyone should make his or her own decision about whether and when to leave children in the clubs, and I don't think one decision makes any parent better than another. To respond to the concern about what happens if your child is on the ship and something awful happens to you in port, my first thought is that if something awful happened to me in port, like a tragic fatal taxi accident, I would rather my children be safe in the club! I would rather them have to be cared for by Disney staff for a day or two until my sister could fly to the next port and assume care than for them to be dead with me! If I were not dead and were conscious enough to communicate, I trust that I could get communication to the ship and arrange for my children to be cared for in the way that made most sense, depending on the extent of my injuries, etc. I usually do take my kids with me in ports, but I would have every confidence that if the kind of awful emergency that people most fear occurred, Disney would come through and do as well as possible in handling the situation. I do think it's wise for Disney to have some emergency contact info for each child in case something happens to parents on or off the ship, but I can't remember whether they ask for that or not. We usually travel with extended family, so in those cases they do have other people linked to our reservation to contact. I think even without them Disney could also probably track down emergency contacts with police help if needed, but collecting that information ahead of time would probably be wise.

Regarding meals in the clubs, the staff no longer takes the children to the buffet, at least on the Magic. We were told that too many parents complained about their children not being in the clubs when they went to pick them up, so the kids never leave anymore, not to go to lunch or dinner, not to visit the "secret" deck, not to play ball on the sports court. I think that is a shame, since the kids are far more limited in food selections (my son didn't eat lunch one day because he doesn't like macaroni and cheese, and that was what was offered. We were on the ship but at Palo or something while he had lunch there), and since there is less variety of activities possible. The transitions and locations had been clearly marked on the Navigators, so parents who needed to find their kids should have been able to do easily. The club staff who told us about this change was upset because she had really enjoyed taking the kids to different areas on the ship for various activities.
I think everyone should make his or her own decision about whether and when to leave children in the clubs, and I don't think one decision makes any parent better than another. To respond to the concern about what happens if your child is on the ship and something awful happens to you in port, my first thought is that if something awful happened to me in port, like a tragic fatal taxi accident, I would rather my children be safe in the club! I would rather them have to be cared for by Disney staff for a day or two until my sister could fly to the next port and assume care than for them to be dead with me! If I were not dead and were conscious enough to communicate, I trust that I could get communication to the ship and arrange for my children to be cared for in the way that made most sense, depending on the extent of my injuries, etc. I usually do take my kids with me in ports, but I would have every confidence that if the kind of awful emergency that people most fear occurred, Disney would come through and do as well as possible in handling the situation. I do think it's wise for Disney to have some emergency contact info for each child in case something happens to parents on or off the ship, but I can't remember whether they ask for that or not. We usually travel with extended family, so in those cases they do have other people linked to our reservation to contact. I think even without them Disney could also probably track down emergency contacts with police help if needed, but collecting that information ahead of time would probably be wise.

That's a shame about the meals and other transitions. We've been on four cruises and have never had difficulty finding our kids in the clubs - whether they were on the Sports Deck, visiting Ocean Quest or the Lab instead of being in the Oceaneer's Club, being at Animator's Palate for a demonstration or Q&A with the officers, or even up at Topsider's for a meal. It's a shame that a minority of guests have evidently ruined such wonderful experiences for all of the kids.

I seem to remember there is a vidio on U tube or somewhere about a woman who left her 8 year old DD on the Magic in Cozimel and missed the ship. She ended up having the pilot boat bring her to the ship (and it was expensive) and the ship waited becuase the child would have been alone on the ship!

I vote no, only becuse of the unexpected happening!

AKK

That's a shame about the meals and other transitions. We've been on four cruises and have never had difficulty finding our kids in the clubs - whether they were on the Sports Deck, visiting Ocean Quest or the Lab instead of being in the Oceaneer's Club, being at Animator's Palate for a demonstration or Q&A with the officers, or even up at Topsider's for a meal. It's a shame that a minority of guests have evidently ruined such wonderful experiences for all of the kids.

KS DisneyDad
Isn't that becoming increasingly common these days though? Very unfortunate for the vast majority to have to bow down to he ones who shout the loudest!!

Okay, so...I'm a stay-at-home mom of three kids; DS9, DD7 and DS3. I've been home with them for seven years, and they rarely if ever have a sitter or are away from me. I know I am lucky to be able to do this, and maybe those that are away from their kids eight hours a day have a different outlook on the following.

The "family vacation" thing in terms of never ever leaving your kids for a second is a mystery to me. DH and I have yet to be on a family vacation with that option, which is why the DCL is SO appealing to us. We always have the family together - but boy, would it be nice to go up on deck and have a nice drink, or dinner, just the two of us. Certainly if the kids were unhappy or frightened I wouldn't leave them there or force them to go back, but if it all works out I'll be jumping for joy! We have purposely waited to do DCL until we feel they are old enough to enjoy the clubs and want to stay. Our youngest will be about 5 when we go.

Just my two cents. As far as the shore excursion - I think it's fine but I think that would be hard for me - my kids might be the ones paging every hour! :rolleyes1

Okay, so...I'm a stay-at-home mom of three kids; DS9, DD7 and DS3. I've been home with them for seven years, and they rarely if ever have a sitter or are away from me. I know I am lucky to be able to do this, and maybe those that are away from their kids eight hours a day have a different outlook on the following.

The "family vacation" thing in terms of never ever leaving your kids for a second is a mystery to me. DH and I have yet to be on a family vacation with that option, which is why the DCL is SO appealing to us. We always have the family together - but boy, would it be nice to go up on deck and have a nice drink, or dinner, just the two of us. Certainly if the kids were unhappy or frightened I wouldn't leave them there or force them to go back, but if it all works out I'll be jumping for joy! We have purposely waited to do DCL until we feel they are old enough to enjoy the clubs and want to stay. Our youngest will be about 5 when we go.

Just my two cents. As far as the shore excursion - I think it's fine but I think that would be hard for me - my kids might be the ones paging every hour! :rolleyes1

Totally agree. We got back yesterday from a 19 night B2B on the Magic and a huge part of the appeal was that on DCL we can do loads of family things together BUT there is also scope for DH and I to do things together while we know our kids are having a great time in a safe and secure environment.

We enjoyed Palo (dinner x 2, brunch x 2 and High Tea) we took one shore excursion without the kids - a 4.5 hour tour in Tunisia which the kids would not have been interested in (they are 5 and 2.5) and we also got off and strolled around ports for a couple of hours alone a few times - usually we all went ashore in the morning, back for lunch and then in the afternoon when it was hotter the kids went to Oceaneers club \ Flounders and we went ashore for a couple of hours. We let them know we would be off the boat and they were fine with that and the kids were great.

Each to their own of course but for us a Family Trip means EVERYONE gets to fulfil their wishes for vacation time, not that we all have to be together 24 \ 7

Mel
x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter