• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving to Disney in two weeks and husband might be loosing his job..........

lisaross

DIS Veteran
I don't know what to do with myself. Let me start off by saying that i've been planning this family trip 1st to Disney for almost a year! Now its almost here and i don't even want to go - but will - its paid for and my kids can't wait! That being said, i am a SAHM - my husband has been at his job for 15 years and messed up and might be getting fired next week - he's now out on suspension - no pay!

Yesterday i went to sign up for a temp agency - and i will do what needs to be done, but i'm so so afraid! What do we do???? I have a mortgage to pay, about $5000 in savings which can go real fast............

HOw will we survive - two kids 4 & 6- don't want them to know anything about whats going on - don't want them afraid upset, etc.

What about health coverage?? i worry about everything (have not eaten in days) i live in NY so i think you can get free health coverage for kids - but what about me and husband? Also, if he gets unemployment, then he can't get a part time job? i know i can but we no back up of family so one of us must be home for the kids afterschool/holidays etc..........

i can't believe this is happening to me at almost 40!!

Just venting

lisa

First of all, plenty of hugs for you! I'm sure that this is hard enough without a pending vacation.

Since you are most likely beyond the cancellation date for most things, I would say go on your vacation but scale back your spending for it as much as possible. Take glo sticks from the dollar store or cheap items from the Disney Store or Walmart so the kids aren't bugging your for those expensive do-dads in the parks. Take snacks with you and get a water filtration bottle or have water shipped to your resort so as not to spend excessively on those items.

Have your DH (the D can stand for whatever you want it to right now ;) ) get his resume out ASAP. If he really feels that he is going to lose his current job, have him use this time off as productively as possible! Search monster, hotjobs, local papers, etc. and get him moving on something that he could take as soon as you return.

You can always sell on ebay or craigslist to make additional money.

If your DH does lose his job, contact your mortgage holder, credit cards, utilities as soon as possible. Most (if not all of them) will work with you so you don't dig yourself a hole.

Most importantly, just take a deep breath and try to relax. Everything will work out with good planning and a level head on your shoulders!

Best of luck to you and your DH in working this situation out :wizard:

I'm so sorry!! What a terrible position to be in right before your trip. Wait & see what happens w/his job, maybe since he has so many years, they will not fire him?? Is there anything he can do/say to help his case w/the co? It sounds like you are being proactive which is good. You may be able to get COBRA coverage but I know it's expensive. Is there an unemployment website in your area? It might have some information about what to expect & what options are available.

I really hope things work out for you & sorry not to have better advice.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru. My dh lost his job about 3 yrs. ago and we have a dd and we freaked out. We didn't have any savings so thank god you have that. I work but I don't make enough for both of us to live off of. What I would do, go ahead and take your trip. You might have to dip into your savings but make your trip as cheap as possible. You might not can do everything you wanted to do but your in disney world!!! You don't want to get a job now and then asked to be off for your trip. I pay out the ying yang for family health insurance and the person that has no insurance, they help out. I had a cousin that was unemployed and had to have bypass surgery and the hospital paid for everything. Good Luck with everything!! When you get back, maybe you can get a pt job somewhere.

Sorry Lisa! :grouphug:

I hope you still enjoy your trip!

I hope your husband didn't do anything too awful to lose his job.

I also have been a SAHM for like it seems forever now (12 years). I am also looking for a job to stay afloat.

contact your c.c. and ask them about the insurence that pays if you lose your job, don't tell them what is going on, just what kind of protection ins. they offer like theft, ect, then add it on. today.

I would not go on the trip. You have to worry about the essentials first and not a trip to WDW.

You can always go later when things improve.

I would be as honest with your children as you can and only tell them what you think they can handle.

I'm just stating what I woul do but I would sit them down, tell them a little about what is going on, cancel the trip while you can still get your money back, call all my cc companies, go through your budget and eliminate everything that is extra and go from there. Trust me, you'll feel better if you go into this prepared.

Good luck to you. :sunny:

no, we won't be spending much in Disney since we have the free dining - so just some spending for the kids which they already saved a bit for. And i have all the other "dollar tree" stuff!!!

I'm just so so bummed - i wanted this to be a "magical" trip for all - atleast it will be for the kids...................

Lisa

Yes, my husband is sending out tons of resumes - even down in Florida area - thinking of possible relocating!

Any good reasons for saying why you left a good company?

lisa

I would not get much back -- i bought the park tickets separately and the airlines has been paid way back - so if i don't go, i'll just get part of the hotel back!

I have already cut cable down, NOT spending any extra.............

I don't want to tell my kids till they can tell something is up, i mean what can they do for us?? it will just upset them

lisaross said:
I don't know what to do with myself. Let me start off by saying that i've been planning this family trip 1st to Disney for almost a year! Now its almost here and i don't even want to go - but will - its paid for and my kids can't wait! That being said, i am a SAHM - my husband has been at his job for 15 years and messed up and might be getting fired next week - he's now out on suspension - no pay!

Yesterday i went to sign up for a temp agency - and i will do what needs to be done, but i'm so so afraid! What do we do???? I have a mortgage to pay, about $5000 in savings which can go real fast............

HOw will we survive - two kids 4 & 6- don't want them to know anything about whats going on - don't want them afraid upset, etc.

What about health coverage?? i worry about everything (have not eaten in days) i live in NY so i think you can get free health coverage for kids - but what about me and husband? Also, if he gets unemployment, then he can't get a part time job? i know i can but we no back up of family so one of us must be home for the kids afterschool/holidays etc..........

i can't believe this is happening to me at almost 40!!

Just venting

lisa
well same thing might happen dh he might be laid off when we return :furious: ok here are a few medical options healthy ny
or family health plus not medacaid it will depend on your income

I am checking in to healthy ny. I think you have to call the chamber of congress for that. Any other info just pm me

Dear Lisa

I read your post and just had to drop by and add my hugs :grouphug: . I am older than you are and have had many such moments in my life. :hourglass They always work out, one way or another and most of the time lead to something better. I know it sounds trite but it is true. :wave2:

It is awfully hard when you are in the middle of the moment though as you just cannot see any way out until you ARE out.

You have been given much good advice here so I will not repeat it. Just be honest with your creditors and it will stand you in good stead.

I will be hoping to see a post, soon, that says that either things worked out with my dh's company (has he went in and talked to them, might help if he can convince them he has learned from his mistake and having worked there so long) or has found other employment quickly.

Go on your trip, enjoy the moment, do not overspend and dig the hole deeper and let the big worries be conquered on your return home. Worrying when there is nothing you can do about it will not help.

Sending you best wishes, Slightly Goofy :)

I agree - go on your trip and enjoy it. Leave your worries at home and have fun with your kids. As you probably know, kids can sense when the parents are not feeling well, upset, etc. so put all of your might into having the time of your life with your kids for that week. And I have always said when one door closes another one opens and usually it is better in the long run. You may not see it right now but when you look back in a year or so you will be able to see what you were supposed to learn to grow from the situation. Prayer works miracles - get busy praying!

Don't panic quite yet. :goodvibes What has DH's history been like with his current employer? Has he been given performance reviews that indicate he is doing his job well and is a valued employee? Or, have there been other occasions where he has received a verbal or written warning for other infractions? If he's been there awhile, I don't see how they can just fire him for one negative thing. Many companies have to go through several steps before they can actually terminate someone. Talk to him about it and see if he feels there were any indications prior to this incident he feels will make things easier for them to terminate. As for what to tell possible employers, if what occured isn't too horrible...DH might just want to explain to them what happened and what steps he has done to prevent it from happening again. One thing he has in his favor is that most companies can legally only give to/from employment dates and cannot reveal the reason for separation.

floridafam said:
I would not go on the trip. You have to worry about the essentials first and not a trip to WDW.

You can always go later when things improve.

I would be as honest with your children as you can and only tell them what you think they can handle.

I'm just stating what I woul do but I would sit them down, tell them a little about what is going on, cancel the trip while you can still get your money back, call all my cc companies, go through your budget and eliminate everything that is extra and go from there. Trust me, you'll feel better if you go into this prepared.

Good luck to you. :sunny:

Not go on a trip that is already paid for? :confused3
Ok, and children, that young. Do not need to know anything about the finance trouble, you have OP.

I agree... go on the trip and enjoy yourself. It is paid for already...think of it as a break from the stress at home. Last year, I had a trip planned criuse and Disney and DH was layed off. UGH so I definately feel your pain. Disney has a wonderful way of letting you focus on the most important things in life ... your family!!! You will get though this, believe in that!! Good Luck

I would go on the trip since you already paid for it. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope that it all works out and things end up even better than before (like a well-paying new job). I've found that things tend to work themselves out with patience and incentive and it sounds like you have both. GL on dh sending out the resumes! I hope he lands a great new job if he even gets laid off!

:grouphug:

I agree that if you won't get much money back, then go on your trip. Don't buy a lot of extras.

pixiedust: that you DH keeps his job and everything works out.

mousiemom said:
I pay out the ying yang for family health insurance and the person that has no insurance, they help out. I had a cousin that was unemployed and had to have bypass surgery and the hospital paid for everything.

I just wanted to point out that this isn't necessarily true. My DH is self employed. I had to have back surgery a few years ago, & we didn't have insurance. We had to pay over $13,000 cash out of our pockets. The hospital required $6,000 down just to admit me. I only spent one night in the hospital to keep costs down. I was told by my Dr. & nurse that noone had ever had the surgery I did & stayed less than 3 night. Sometimes, you just have to do what you can. Trust me, we didn't get any help.

OP, I hope everything works out for your family. My DH is one of those people who came out ahead by being fired once. At the time, both of us were working at the same place. I made more than he did. I am now a SAHM & he makes much more than both of us did together back then. Good luck!!! :wizard:

faindrops27 said:
Not go on a trip that is already paid for? :confused3
If the OP could get a refund for everything, I'd say don't go -- postpone the trip until things are more stable. Even a trip that's "already paid for" is going to cost something: even without souveniers, there'll be incidentals, little transportation costs, etc.

However, since only a pittance of a refund is possible, I'd say go -- especially since her husband may or may not be fired. This could be "much ado about nothing". As such, I would pack plenty of granola bars, bottled waters, etc. so that spending at WDW can be cut as close to zero as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter