Leaving the kids at home!

akamom

Are we there yet?
Dh and I are planning an anniversary trip in August. I'm looking for some romantic things for us to do. Any help would be appreicated!! Oh, and dining...usually we do charactor dining with the kids, but what adult restuarants do you recommend?? Thanks!

Wow, I was about to post the exact same thing!

We'll be there Aug 25-29 at POR for our anniversary (a month early). We're celebrating 17 years, how about you?

This will be our first trip away from the kids other than just one overnight stays that we've done.

I definitely want to spend some time at DD at a club or comedy place, take in Cirque since we've never seen it...just being alone is romantic enough for me ;) I also want to explore the resort and hang by the pool with a drink.

I hope someone else comes along to give us both some more ideas.

I'm sure we'll see each other at some point :wave:

Heya,

You will have a blast! We did our first trip without the kids in May of 2005...we will be going back without the kids in 47 days. You can read our trip report titled OUR FIRST HONEYMOON TEN YEARS IN THE MAKING! - All 8 days here...it's in the trip reports board. If I did this right, this is a link to the exact place...LOL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=908827

We did character meals, rode as many of the rides as we could, but as much as anything we sat and people watched and enjoyed a Nestle Ice Cream Sandwich. I guess maybe romance is what you make it. Just to be without the responsiblity of the kids, and not listening to them argue about what we should do next, was pretty romantic to us. We can't wait to go again. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to try to answer them.

Stephanie in Idaho
The 6' of snow continues to grow...but I know it's just pixie dust... :tink: ready to take me to WDW in 47 days!
DH... :tigger: can't wait to see Tigger again!
ME... :eeyore: just happy to be going back so soon!

My husband and I are going it "alone" for the first time a week from Saturday! :cool1: :cool1: We coudn't afford to go to WDW on our first honeymoon 22 years ago -- so that's what we're doing now. We're planning on Jiko, V&A and probably Wolfgang Puck's. We've never been to PI so we'll give that a try too. Mostly just going to play it by ear and have a blast! when the kids complain that we're going without them, I remind them we are DVC members and will be going as a family in August!

My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary! We will be there Aug. 23rd-27th. Leaving our 3 dd's home. We are still not sure which resort we are going to choose, but we are leaning towards WL. I think we are going to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which is something we probably wouldn't do with the kids. I can't wait to try some of the non-character restaurants! Maybe California Grill?.....Looking for suggestions for nice places to eat that are a little more adult. We love good food, and we are getting the dining plan. Most of all, we just can't wait to actually get do our favorite rides together, instead of doing baby swap, or dividing up into 2 seperate cars....Happy Anniversary to all!!!! I think Disney is the best place to celebrate!

GoofyB said:
when the kids complain that we're going without them, I remind them we are DVC members and will be going as a family in August!

You'll love this then...When we went without the kids last time they ran around telling anyone who would listen, that they were, "going to be in therapy for life"! It was so funny. I didn't have the DVC card to play, and we didn't know when we would be able to take them back. They lucked out and we were able to go back with the free dining in September! Now that we have planned our trip in May this year, they want to know if they get to go back in Sept. again. HELLO...NO! What they don't know is that if their mom gets her way, we will be going back the 1st week of Dec. with them this year!

The 6' of snow really is pixie dust... :tink: only 47 days till WDW with my Tigger!
ME... :eeyore: just happy to be going back again so soon!

I highly recommend Jiko for an romantic adult dinner. I love the atmosphere there! And the food and service are always wonderful.

I also recommend the CA Grill. Although I don't like the atmosphere as much, (it is very hustle and bustle), you can't beat watching wishes from the observation deck. It is very romantic!

If you are staying at Port Orleans, OKW or Saratoga Springs, one of the most romantic (and free) things to do is take the boat to Downtown Disney. I know it sounds silly, but these are my favorite memories frrom our first trip together. I can remember being snuggled together, holding hands (and freezing), on a cold winter night on our way back from DD. Even though it was soooo cold, I wouldn't change a minute of that boat ride. It was fantastic!

Last, but not least, if you are staying at a resort that has a balcony in your room, take at least one morning to order room service. Move the table in front of the sliding glass door to take in the view... and enjoy!

I could go on and on... :goodvibes

Lorix2 said:
Wow, I was about to post the exact same thing!

We'll be there Aug 25-29 at POR for our anniversary (a month early). We're celebrating 17 years, how about you?

This will be our first trip away from the kids other than just one overnight stays that we've done.

I definitely want to spend some time at DD at a club or comedy place, take in Cirque since we've never seen it...just being alone is romantic enough for me ;) I also want to explore the resort and hang by the pool with a drink.

I hope someone else comes along to give us both some more ideas.

I'm sure we'll see each other at some point :wave:

We'll be celebrating our 5yr (a week late) at POFQ from 8/24-28.

I went alone with DH and we had a blast! Our favorite things were touring the WS in Epcot slowly in the evening and enjoying the shows esp Off Kilter and British Invasion, with a pint of course!

We spent one night at PI and did the comedy club and adventure club, we loved the adventure club. We also had a wonderful meal at the Blue Zoo, since we were from Boston we love Todd's Olives and Figs and BZ was a delight! We also enjoyed the Big River Brewery and an evening at the BW, the outside tables are great!

DH played a round of golf one afternoon and I did a spa massage, best of both worlds.

As for my dd's they said "see ya, do all the boring stuff so we don't have to". My sister (aka Auntie YES) stayed with them at our house and they had their own party.

FWIW the only heat I got for taking a vacation with DH to WDW sans kids was from the family board here at the Dis.

TJ

The above posters gave some great ideas for dining so I would like to include Citrico's (sp) as well. Sometimes the dis is hard on parents who wish to go solo to Disney. :sad2: For all of you celebrating an anniversay. Congratulations and best wishes. :thumbsup2

I'm getting so excited!!! Did anyone do a boat tour for Illuminations or Wishes? With all the info I've received, dh and I are pretty excited about riding the Buzz Lightyear ride together! :rotfl2:

akamom said:
Did anyone do a boat tour for Illuminations or Wishes?

Four years ago we went to WDW with my parents. They paid for the whole trip...and it was a real treat! We wanted to do something special for them so we booked the Illuminations Breathless Cruise for the 6 of us. My dad owns a 1956 Criss Craft, and at the time it was in for a complete refurbishment. We thought that they would really enjoy this, and they did. Even with the kids, and my parents it was romantic! We cruised up toward MGM, and back and then settled in under the bridge to watch the fireworks. It was a cool Feb. evening, but the driver provided us with blankets, and we had a fantastic time. If you can afford it...I would recomend this to anyone!

Stephanie in Idaho
It's snowing again...must mean more pixie dust for a trip in the future...LOL
:tink: only 46 days till WDW
ME... :eeyore: just happy to be going back so soon!

Our first trip as DVC members will be in December with NO KIDS! Our first trip in 1999 was with no kids either. We were going to go to WDW for our honeymoon and went to the Ozarks instead. What were we thinking???? :eek:

We are very much looking forward to just doing things with the two of us. We love our children very much, but we also love each other. It will be a good trip for us.

Welcome to the wonderful world of disney adults!!! My husband and I have been going to disney since 1973! We always had the kids with us. We loved going with them. We have wonderful memories.........but without kids???
I wasn't too sure how this was going to fly
It is AWESOME!!
We go to Disney alone about twice a year. Occassionally, one or 2 of our kids will come down for a few day (they're adults now) and that's fun, BUT we love to go it alone
Citrcos, Naragosse (?) Yachtman Steak house, Jellyrolls, House of Blues, Alfredo, France, World Showcase, California Grill, Ohanna, just walking....not racing. It's all wonderful! Laying by the pool.......having room service for breakfast.........boat rides, illuminations, fireworks, the parades..........can you tell we're leaving in the morning for trip #? without kids? You can see anything YOU want, go anywhere YOU want, do anything YOU want....the world is YOURS! Have a Magical Day

One of the things my DW likes to do when we go alone is getting a late dinner at Cinderella's Royal table and watch Wishes from inside the castle.

In 2002, we had preferred viewing reservations for Illuminations and ate at Chefs de France. As our dinner continue, our waitress got slower and slower until it was time for Illuminations. Then at 9 they opened the windows at the restaurant and we had perfect viewing for Illuminations.

Needless to say we now bypass the PV and try both of these venues.

Another place to try is the patio at the Rose & Crown but it fills up rather fast.

Another romantic activity is to take a carriage ride from Port Orleans or Fort Wilderness.

I was going to post about our upcoming 25th and ask the same questions! Just paid the deposit today for our trip Sept 1 - 6. We're excited to be staying at the Boardwalk Inn - walking distance from both EPCOT and MGM? Yippeee!!!

I would suggest to all the anniversaryites that they look in the the Disney Dining Plan - it looks to be a great deal!

:teacher:

my husband just asked me, "Are you sure you want to see Mickey?" We are gonna be in Tampa for the weekend and were going to Busch Gardens on Saturday. For some reason, I haven't bought the tix yet?:) We just decided on MK instead!!! First time w/out kids. We will be there in 4 days!!!!!! I'm doing a single digit dance and didn't even know I'd be dancing :banana: :cool1: :Pinkbounc

We just got back from a 4 day trip w/o the kids and it was great! We went to the MK, DTD and relaxed by the pool. We also played Winter/Summerland and Fantasia Gardens. WS was the quietest place in the morning.

As for romance, we took a Carriage Ride at SSR. Last year we did the cr with the kids at POR. I liked the ride better at POR but it was much more relaxing wo the kids.

Also LTT at the MK for lunch was wonderful. We also just enjoyed being to sit in the sun by the pool and relax. It was quite the change from everyday life.

We should start a "celebrating our anniversary in the world in August thread". We are thinking about celebrating our 10th there this year in August. I just got the go ahead from DH. We are doing either WDW or a short carribean cruise, it's up to me. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions posted here.

We are going for the first time without the kids Aug 31-Sept 3. :woohoo: Our anniversry is 9/9 but the kids are back in school by then and its too hard to get away. I can't wait. :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter