Leaving Sunday.. this is my "plan" .. tips?!?!

bentopher

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

So.. I'm leaving Sunday. Single mom, 2 boys (almost 6 and 4). I'm meeting up with a friend of mine (also single mom girl 6, boy almost 4). Staying at the All Star Sports. We have 4 days.. Monday - Thursday and fly home Friday morning..

The PLAN...

First question.. the day the parks open at 8am, what time can we catch the bus at the resort to actually BE THERE BY 8am.

Monday...
Animal Kingdom (park opens at 8am)- First thing is Kilaminjaro Safari, and then Tuskers for Breakfast. After that, a few assorted "must see on our list" rides. EVENTUALLY make our way to DHS for dinner at 6pm at Hollywood & Vine. What time would you leave AK? And what mode of transportation would you use to get between the 2 of them?

Tuesday...
All day Magic Kingdom.. dinner there too.

Wednesday...
DHS (again park opens at 8 this day). Eventually need to make my way to Epcot for a 655 dinner at Garden Grill. I'll likely go earlier to do a couple rides, like Soar. What mode of transportation would you use to go between the two?

Thursday..
Start with Downtown Disney. How much time would you allot for this? I figure I need a quick trip in the souvenier shop and the boys want to hit up the lego store. Then we will go back to whichever park they want. I have a lunch at TRex at 130, but I feel this is too late of a lunch and perhaps I should be leaving Downtown Disney earlier and enjoying more park time with my boys. Suggestions?

I have a rough idea of which rides we would like to see, and then rides if there is time for them list. I think I have the whole "I should get a fast pass for "this" ride" figured out. But anything else to offer would be great.

We arrive Sunday, but not until 7pm.. how long would you say upon flight landing and arriving to our hotel? This late at night, what time do you think our bag will actually arrive at the hotel?

Thanks all! Can't wait :cool1:

I agree that you don't need that much time at Downtown Disney...it depends how much shopping you want to do. What about doing DTD in the evening one of the nights? The problem with DTD is the shops don't open until 9:30 (I think...could be a bit off). However, you could do almost a full day at the park and then end with DTD along with a dinner reservation at T-Rex.

The rest looks good to me. Although, personally, I'd want to spend more time at Epcot. My kids really enjoy Epcot as well.

Hi all!

The PLAN...

First question.. the day the parks open at 8am, what time can we catch the bus at the resort to actually BE THERE BY 8am.

We arrive Sunday, but not until 7pm.. how long would you say upon flight landing and arriving to our hotel? This late at night, what time do you think our bag will actually arrive at the hotel?

1. 7am or so. I'd probably plan to be out the door at 7am so you have a little cushion of time to get to bus stop, etc

2. A safe estimate for DME is 90-120 minutes, I'd say it will take you bit to wrangle the little ones down to the counter, get on the bus, etc. You bag will arrive in about 3 hours so around 10pm.

I would also do downtown disney one of the evenings, and spend a day at Epcot. You probably won't be able to ride Soarin very quickly if you are only getting there at dinner time.

What a fantastic mama! Have FUN!!

This all sounds like an awesome itinerary for you guys. And here are my thoughts on your questions and more:

Bring a stroller for 4 year old - and the 6 year old may want to swap once in a while. plus it's a great place for extras you dont want to carry all the time - water bottles, etc. Stroller parking is plentiful and a good place to leave junk that is not valuable for 2-4 rides

First question.. the day the parks open at 8am, what time can we catch the bus at the resort to actually BE THERE BY 8am. Arrive at your bus stop by 7AM - you will get to the park early to be close to the front when the rope drops. At each park this will give you a little time before for that necessary pic of the kids by the signs/entries and at MK in particular with "let the memories begin" sign :thumbsup2

Monday...
Animal Kingdom (park opens at 8am)- First thing is Kilaminjaro Safari, and then Tuskers for Breakfast. After that, a few assorted "must see on our list" rides. EVENTUALLY make our way to DHS for dinner at 6pm at Hollywood & Vine. What time would you leave AK? And what mode of transportation would you use to get between the 2 of them? grab an FP on your way to TH for Expedition Everest or Dinosaur if possible - ideally the window will still be open when you complete breakfast.

DHS from AK - take a bus to one of the resorts close to DHS - Carribean beach, then a bus there, the earlier the better to grab FPs and get some DHS rides/shows in. Or an option to chill a bit is to go back to hotel pool, cool off and then to DHS for dinner. Be prepared that headliner ride lines will be long after dinner and most shows over. Get a star tours FP before dinner, the others will be gone by then.

Tuesday...
All day Magic Kingdom.. dinner there too.[COLOR="red"]Rope Drop arrival scoop above. The kids might want/need a midday pool break - be flexible as some downtime can make the park time better even if it means you miss a couple things - as everyone says you will never see it all anyway. Rested feet and cooled off kids can do wonders for the spirits and blissful park touring[/COLOR]
Wednesday...
DHS (again park opens at 8 this day). Eventually need to make my way to Epcot for a 655 dinner at Garden Grill. I'll likely go earlier to do a couple rides, like Soar. What mode of transportation would you use to go between the two?FYI - Is this EMH or 8AM open to all guests. If 8AM open to all guests, note that DHS was opening 30minutes earlier than posted general open over the past few months, not sure if this is still the case but you should post that question here. There are no direct modes between these parks, bus either to DTD or resort then to park or take a bus to an epcot resort and boat to epcot. Soarin will be a long wait you may not want to do (75 minutes+ yuk) and the FPs will be gone by 1:30pm if not before

Thursday..
Start with Downtown Disney. How much time would you allot for this? I figure I need a quick trip in the souvenier shop and the boys want to hit up the lego store. Then we will go back to whichever park they want. I have a lunch at TRex at 130, but I feel this is too late of a lunch and perhaps I should be leaving Downtown Disney earlier and enjoying more park time with my boys. Suggestions?I would do as others have said - Epcot in the AM - preferably rope drop, see if you can swap TRex to dinner. If not avail thru Disney site call them directly (google them) and ask for a 5:30 dinner ressie or whenever. They only alot Disney so many ressies. Then just cancel the disney ADR you made for lunch. Is Test track closed? If not do for sure, Otherwise, Soarin, Spaceship Earth and Mission Space green, Turtle Talk, Nemo are all fantastic for your kids' ages. DTD can be 2 or 3 hours - TREX, legos, Goofys Candy Co, Sports store, Toy store - build your own light sabre! Which you should know can be done in MK too - at Tomorrowland, Star Traders i think

I have a rough idea of which rides we would like to see, and then rides if there is time for them list. I think I have the whole "I should get a fast pass for "this" ride" figured out. But anything else to offer would be great.

We arrive Sunday, but not until 7pm.. how long would you say upon flight landing and arriving to our hotel? This late at night, what time do you think our bag will actually arrive at the hotel? 10ish for the bag, 830 for you

Thanks all! Can't wait

Hope that you have a wonderful time, sounds like you have done alot of work planning. Enjoy and Happy Mother's Day

Feel free to ask more ?

Sydnerella's Mama

-Some of your days look really long with rope drop at 8:00 and dinner plans as late as 7:00pm. I know my 5 year old can not do that long a day in the parks.

-What time is your ADR for Tusker House? The first 2-3 hours of an EE day are the least crowded and it's almost a waste to do an ADR during that time. Maybe 10:00 or later might be good. Some of the shows like Nemo and Lion King tend to start a little latter so that might make your day a little longer.

I would spend another day in the parks instead of DTD. If you want to do T-Rex....a later in the day ADR would work. Time at Epcot or even more time at MK. We rarely do DTD anymore. Just not worth the hassle to get there. Rainforest Cafe in AK is very similar to TRex.

You can take a boat from DS to Epcot.

Why not do Hollywood and Vine the day you are at HS anyway? ( BTW- We had the best meal of our trip here in January!)

You could do Garden Grill the day you do AK as it is often a shorter day and would give you some time at Epcot as well. (BTW- This Character meal has our favorite character interaction of any we have done, but our least favorite food.)

Wow, thanks for all the great posts! Now I have to re-read and digest...

The "problem" if you will, is that my friend made her trip first, so I was trying to plan as much so we can hang out with her and her kids. I only booked this trip 4 weeks ago, so dinner reservations were not easy to come by. I didn't want the 7pm reservation but I can't get in any earlier.

I'm hoping to make a call tonight and see if I can get some things switched..
But please keep on sending the advice..

BTW what exactly is "rope drop" this is not something I remember as a kid at all?

OOh, and yes I'm bringing a really deluxe umbrella stroller. The boys are well versed in sharing it when we have gone to other amusement parks locally :) I could not imagine going without it. I'm pretty sure I can check it right at the gate for the flight, I don't need to wrap it do I? (I'm flying Southwest if that matters... ooh and I still need to figure out if we get a dinner meal on the plane or not).

I've been scrambling the best I can to plan as much as I can in the very short time I've had since I booked without sacrificing everything else in life. LOL

Wow, thanks for all the great posts! Now I have to re-read and digest...

The "problem" if you will, is that my friend made her trip first, so I was trying to plan as much so we can hang out with her and her kids. I only booked this trip 4 weeks ago, so dinner reservations were not easy to come by. I didn't want the 7pm reservation but I can't get in any earlier.

I'm hoping to make a call tonight and see if I can get some things switched..
But please keep on sending the advice..

BTW what exactly is "rope drop" this is not something I remember as a kid at all?

OOh, and yes I'm bringing a really deluxe umbrella stroller. The boys are well versed in sharing it when we have gone to other amusement parks locally :) I could not imagine going without it. I'm pretty sure I can check it right at the gate for the flight, I don't need to wrap it do I? (I'm flying Southwest if that matters... ooh and I still need to figure out if we get a dinner meal on the plane or not).

I've been scrambling the best I can to plan as much as I can in the very short time I've had since I booked without sacrificing everything else in life. LOL

Tough problem to have :rotfl: Sounds really great, you're doing awesome. The stroller can be checked at the gate - just get a tag from the gate folks in advance and fill out your info. Walk it down the jetway and fold it up before you board. The crew will put it in and it will be in the jetway when you disembark or shortly thereafter - dont forget it in your rush to get the kids and stuff to the baggage claim - HA!

If you like the idea of switching to dinner, use my tip for T-rex, that was how we got our reservations when they were full on the Disney site.

If the boys are star wars fans (too young?) they might want to be in the Jedi Training Academy at DHS - you have to arrive before the park opens or not long after and once you are thru the turnstiles "dash" to the sign up area (ask a CM at the gate where as it changes) that is near the show location (or by Sounds Dangerous) you get in line and hopefully they tell you a return time for a show that the kids can be in - they battle Darth Vader or Darth Maul - pretty awesome! You can also just watch a show with other kids too. While you wait to return you can hit some rides, get FPs, etc.

It will be fun :) You have made some good plans. Another good lunch place at MK is Liberty Tree Tavern and ressies can be easier to get there last minute - no characters, just good food including oooey goooey toffee cake for dessert!

What I mean by Rope Drop is just park open. DHS and Epcot used to let you thru turnstiles and hold you behind a rope for a little show near the entrance. Now they just seem to let folks through - it was 25 min early at DHS for us in March. After the turnstiles which open around 30 min before open, MK has the show at the train station above the entries - it is hard to see well if you are one of the first in line to enter the park but we take our restricted view in favor of being near the front. Not that it matters all that much.

Sydnerella's Mama

Hi all!

So.. I'm leaving Sunday. Single mom, 2 boys (almost 6 and 4). I'm meeting up with a friend of mine (also single mom girl 6, boy almost 4). Staying at the All Star Sports. We have 4 days.. Monday - Thursday and fly home Friday morning..

The PLAN...

Monday...
Animal Kingdom (park opens at 8am)- First thing is Kilaminjaro Safari, and then Tuskers for Breakfast. After that, a few assorted "must see on our list" rides. EVENTUALLY make our way to DHS for dinner at 6pm at Hollywood & Vine. What time would you leave AK? And what mode of transportation would you use to get between the 2 of them?

I would grab a quick counter service breakfast and no take up precious early time eating a sit down breakfast. According to Disney, you need to allow 1-1/2 to 2 hours to travel between parks (so between a sit down breakfast & travel time, you have lost a lot of time.)

Tuesday...
All day Magic Kingdom.. dinner there too.

Wednesday...
DHS (again park opens at 8 this day). Eventually need to make my way to Epcot for a 655 dinner at Garden Grill. I'll likely go earlier to do a couple rides, like Soar. What mode of transportation would you use to go between the two?

Make sure you head to Toy Story Mania the minute you get into the park. Do you have your heart set on Garden Grill, I would all & see if there is another restaurant where you can get an earlier dinner time.

Thursday..
Start with Downtown Disney. How much time would you allot for this? I figure I need a quick trip in the souvenier shop and the boys want to hit up the lego store. Then we will go back to whichever park they want. I have a lunch at TRex at 130, but I feel this is too late of a lunch and perhaps I should be leaving Downtown Disney earlier and enjoying more park time with my boys. Suggestions?

I would definitely reverse this and do a park first then do Downtown Disney. Come over in time for lunch and do a little shopping. Then you can go back to a park for a few more rides.

With a trip this short, I would limit my sit down restaurants and always start my day at a park before it opens.

I`ve been hard at work... :stir:

Revised plan....

Monday: Animal Kingdom.. still Tuckers for breakfast. then... I don`t know.. Downtown Disney, some swimming (or reverse) and a Quick Service Dinner. I might have to play the time after AK by ear. Not sure where to grab lunch or dinner, I guess it will just depend on where we end up.

Tuesday: remains the same. MK with Tony`s for dinner at 515

Wed: DHS Dinner at Hollywood & Vine at 445 with passes for the Fantasmic show at 9pm.. We will only do that IF the boys can somehow nap, otherwise no way. Im thinking Pizza Planet for lunch, only since its novelty for the boys.. lol

Thursday: Epcot (taking everyone`s advice to go early), and then I managed to score the Hoop De Do show which I`m pretty excited about. :woohoo: I figure that could be a really nice show to end our vacation with. And really that`s not until 715 :( 5pm was full, BUT, *IF* all else fails, we can always leave Epcot early and catch a nap and then head to the Campground. I need to figure out where the best place for US is to have lunch at Epcot.

Any further thoughts popcorn::

It`s not perfect, but it`s better.

And I did just want to mention that some people suggested alternate times for dinner or breakfast, it`s HARD to get certain times. I`ve been trying for days to get some of these reservations. So I cant just change things how *I* want them.

And I did choose the dining plan I choose to opt for sitdown meals. The kids are little so we could use the break to sit and unwind for a bit. Yes Im aware we wont get to do everything, so we will do what we can! :thumbsup2 Id rather them be happy and having fun than miserable cuz they are tired and im dragging them!

But I appreciate ALL advice, please keep it coming.. only 3 days away! OMG! :cool1:

I`ve been hard at work... :stir:

Revised plan....

Monday: Animal Kingdom.. still Tuckers for breakfast. then... I don`t know.. Downtown Disney, some swimming (or reverse) and a Quick Service Dinner. I might have to play the time after AK by ear. Not sure where to grab lunch or dinner, I guess it will just depend on where we end up.

Tuesday: remains the same. MK with Tony`s for dinner at 515

Wed: DHS Dinner at Hollywood & Vine at 445 with passes for the Fantasmic show at 9pm.. We will only do that IF the boys can somehow nap, otherwise no way. Im thinking Pizza Planet for lunch, only since its novelty for the boys.. lol

Thursday: Epcot (taking everyone`s advice to go early), and then I managed to score the Hoop De Do show which I`m pretty excited about. :woohoo: I figure that could be a really nice show to end our vacation with. And really that`s not until 715 :( 5pm was full, BUT, *IF* all else fails, we can always leave Epcot early and catch a nap and then head to the Campground. I need to figure out where the best place for US is to have lunch at Epcot.

Any further thoughts popcorn::

It`s not perfect, but it`s better.

Sounds great!! Try Trex at Downtown disney if you can get in. I think the kids would love it!

Lunch at Epcot - Sunshine seasons for a quick service has a ton of options - or try one of the countries for lunch as a sit down.

ENJOY your trip!!!

Wow. Early mornings and late nights. Those kids are gonna be wiped out... you too. It's hard to have fun when your exhausted. Do you have any time for resting for those kiddo's??

Ditto on getting toy story mania fp first thing in the morning.

The kids are pretty young. Just an fyi on Animal Kingdom, the Dinosaur ride is rough and scary for some kids.

**sorry just saw the revised post. You'll be glad you fit in some down time!**

Well the only real late day is IF we go to the Fantasmic show.. . Truthfully my kids are used to getting up and 6am and going to bed at 9pm and not napping at all. Even on days when we have been out all day. I KNOW this is different, but they SHOCK me sometimes... but yes, totally plan to chill if I know that they need too. I KNOW everything wont go according to plan, but Id rather have a plan and modify it than not have a plan at all! Plus I have the stroller, I can always nap one at a time in there. :)

In DHS is there a place where we could just chill somewhere for a bit.. like grassy knoll under a tree... lol

OOH and for AK... Yah I don`t think I want to do Dinosaur.. I dont want to freak them out! lol I would like them to see a Bugs Life though, they love that movie..

TRUTHFULLY the 3 of us are most excited about DHS. They are total BOYS BOYS.. Star Wars, battles, explosions, stunts, If only they had some military ride I would totally be setup (and well I know its the wrong place, but they would LOVE Back to the Future... just saying... ;) )

Ive already been `TOLD` lol.. that they dont want to see anything with princesses, girlies, or baby stuff (ie Winnie the Pooh). I honestly think they would actually ENJOY the Studio Backlot Tour.. I was contemplating doing this later in the day for some down time. I dont recall how long the ride it is, but just nice for them to sit and ride in some the DHS day would be a long one.. thoughts :confused3

Your arrival night will be a late night too.

The campground for the hoop de do has a park area for some down time, if I remember right. You could use that area to rest on Thursday.

Did you hear about the sing a long at the campgrounds, with chip and dale, and a movie after? The kids might like that, instead of the hoop de do. They will probably still like the hoop de do, but the sing along/movie is free compared to the whoop de do.

OOH and for AK... Yah I don`t think I want to do Dinosaur.. I dont want to freak them out! lol I would like them to see a Bugs Life though, they love that movie..

Honestly, I would advise against A Bug's Life. I've seen SO many horrified kids in that show. It's dark, it's loud and the 3D bugs are right in your face. It's a simulated attack, too, with termite soldiers and spiders trying to catch the audience. You know best what your boys can handle, of course - I just know that I would never take my 4-year-old nephew to see that. He'd carry a grudge well into his adult years ;)

Your arrival night will be a late night too.

The campground for the hoop de do has a park area for some down time, if I remember right. You could use that area to rest on Thursday.

Did you hear about the sing a long at the campgrounds, with chip and dale, and a movie after? The kids might like that, instead of the hoop de do. They will probably still like the hoop de do, but the sing along/movie is free compared to the whoop de do.

We loved the campfire as well when we stayed at FW once. Good idea for the OP.

Honestly, I would advise against A Bug's Life. I've seen SO many horrified kids in that show. It's dark, it's loud and the 3D bugs are right in your face. It's a simulated attack, too, with termite soldiers and spiders trying to catch the audience. You know best what your boys can handle, of course - I just know that I would never take my 4-year-old nephew to see that. He'd carry a grudge well into his adult years ;)

Yeah, I agree with the bugs life thing. We've only done it once out of all of our trips, about a year ago, and my girls did not like it. They weren't terrified, but they didn't like it. Adults sometimes forget how real things are when your young.

You have four days, so I would plan to do rope drop at each park. For whomever asked, "rope drop" is just code for park opening. They used to let you into the park a few minutes before opening and literally have a physical rope that they dropped, but now at all parks but the MK they just open the turnstiles. It really is a better system, IMO. The MK has a little opening show involving the train and the "Good Morning" song from Singin' In The Rain, some characters, etc. It's cute, but not so cute that I'm willing to give up my position in front of the archway to see it full-on :p

Also, I wanted to make sure that you knew that the poster who advised you on park-to-park transportation is incorrect. There are direct modes of transportation from all parks to the others. The exception is when going from another park to the MK, you have to go to the TTC and then boat or monorail over, and you cannot get to DTD directly from a park. So, to go from Animal Kingdom to DHS, you just hop on the DHS bus, and to get from DHS to EPCOT, you can either take the boat or walk.

To get to DTD from AK, you can either a) take the bus to AKL and then take a bus to DTD, b) take a bus to SSR or POR/POFQ and take the boat to DTD, or c) take the bus to a resort you're especially interested in checking out, check it out, and then take the bus to DTD.

I would plan on a mid-day break for your boys, and if they don't need it, then great! We use one as adults, so I always highly recommend it. LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter