• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving Saturday...weather concern

carlacv

Mouseketeer
we are just too excited we leave on Saturday for 9 days!!! Our concern is that on the weather channel it is reported scattered thunderstorms and/or thunderstorms. On Sunday its 70% should we be too worried?!?!? I know its WDW but I tend to overplan things.

Thank you!
:cool1:

It always rains there, I wouldn't be too worried. Thinking back to our trip in June 2012, my favorite day of the trip was rainy all day!! Grab a poncho and have a great time!!

I leave Sunday weather.com says scattered thunderstorms all week. It always rains down there. Bring ponchos and plan breaks. And just have fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We always plan for rain/thunderstorms/scattered showers when we are at WDW, it wouldn't be a trip there if it didn't rain.

We always carry ponchos with us just in case .... nice to have them handy when the rain does decide to come down.

And remember that when a forecast says "70% chance of rain/thundershowers" that doesn't mean it will rain 70% of the time during a 24-hour period. It means there's a 70% chance of a thunderstorm that day. This is hurricane season in Florida, and there are often brief afternoon showers (lasting an hour or less).

As others have suggested, get some ponchos (WDW sells them for about $8) and soldier on. The good news is that these storms often drive people away from the parks. If you're prepared for the rain, you'll have the advantage of shorter lines!

And one last tip - bring at least three pairs of shoes for each person. If your shoes do get soaked in a rainstorm, it can take a day or two for them to dry out. It's nice to have some back-up shoes!

And remember that when a forecast says "70% chance of rain/thundershowers" that doesn't mean it will rain 70% of the time during a 24-hour period. It means there's a 70% chance of a thunderstorm that day. This is hurricane season in Florida, and there are often brief afternoon showers (lasting an hour or less).

As others have suggested, get some ponchos (WDW sells them for about $8) and soldier on. The good news is that these storms often drive people away from the parks. If you're prepared for the rain, you'll have the advantage of shorter lines!

And one last tip - bring at least three pairs of shoes for each person. If your shoes do get soaked in a rainstorm, it can take a day or two for them to dry out. It's nice to have some back-up shoes!

Thank you I forgot about the shoe part!

The good news is that these storms often drive people away from the parks. If you're prepared for the rain, you'll have the advantage of shorter lines!

We love it when this happens :banana:. We always make sure we have our ponchos in our backpack so that when it does start to rain, we will just throw them on and keep touring the park like any other day. One time we just got back to our resort because it was so hot and we needed a break, that not more then 5 minutes after we got into the room, the rain clouds started rolling in and there was a down pour. DH, our kids, and I all looked at each other with huge smiles on our faces and grabbed our things and headed back to the park (we were at MK that day). We were the only ones on the bus heading back and we had to push our way through just to get into the gates because everyone was cattle herding their way out. The park was so empty and we got to go on everything because all the rides were a walk on :goodvibes.

We are here now. It has rained everyday for about 30 mins. Usually in the late afternoon. Crowds have been great. The longest we waited was for Peter Pan yesterday and that was 25mins. Of course Toy Story was a 45min wait at 910am today but we had a fast pass so didn't have to wait in line.

We are here now. It has rained everyday for about 30 mins. Usually in the late afternoon. Crowds have been great. The longest we waited was for Peter Pan yesterday and that was 25mins. Of course Toy Story was a 45min wait at 910am today but we had a fast pass so didn't have to wait in line.

YES!! Thank you so much that's exactly what I needed to hear!!!
:cheer2:

We have been having even more rain than usual here in Florida, but you should always expect some rain and be pleasantly surprised if it does not rain. All the advise above is correct, but I would also suggest that you bring shoes that will not be damaged by getting wet and an extra pair just in case.

It's Florida, it will rain, that's what makes it so lush and beautiful.

I've been watching the weather as we also leave on Saturday :cool1:, I've been hoping to see not so humid temps more than worrying over the rain. I'm good with a little rain, don't mind a little more, but I'm praying to the heavens that on the night we go to MNSSHP it stays dry. We were at the 10/4/2012 party and it was so wet and miserable! I want a dry party!!!

Have a wonderful time :wizard:

It's Florida, it will rain, that's what makes it so lush and beautiful.

I've been watching the weather as we also leave on Saturday :cool1:, I've been hoping to see not so humid temps more than worrying over the rain. I'm good with a little rain, don't mind a little more, but I'm praying to the heavens that on the night we go to MNSSHP it stays dry. We were at the 10/4/2012 party and it was so wet and miserable! I want a dry party!!!

Have a wonderful time :wizard:

True coming from southern California (San Diego) the humid temps are not really an issue. Hope you have a great trip maybe I'll see ya on MNSSHP!
:cool1:

We've been there the last three years on the last week of Sept, and the forecast for this upcoming week is very normal. There is normally a chance of a thundershower.

I don't want to jinx anything, since we'll be there next week too, but we've only been rained on 2-3 times in the 26 days total we've been there the last 3 years.

I'm praying for the same next week. :)

Dan

I've checked the weather several times on accuweather.com w/in the last week or so, and it's changed daily. Don't let the forecast bother ya. It does rain in Sept but not all day. Have fun!

We leave Saturday morning as well!

I'm expecting rain and plan on making the most of it if it does. As a FL Resident, I am well used to rain by now. Especially the way things have been this summer! As long as the lightening doesn't get bad, I'll be ok. :thumbsup2

Right now there is/was a tropical depression in the gulf of Mexico south of Texas.

As of today, the weather channel is saying that it may be picked up by wind shear as a front moves down toward Florida and push all the moisture over Florida from West to East starting on Sunday and going on until Tuesday.

This is why you saw the 70% chance of rain early next week. But remember, the weather forcast changes every day and that may not happen. Either way, they say it will not develop into a storm that you have to worry about.

You should always carry a few ponchos with you, as even if no front is in the area you will have a 30% chance of rain due to the heat and the convergence of the sea breezes. It's so warm in the parks that rain is a welcome relief at this time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter